Topolino's or Flying Fish for 50th Bday?

Beachyrock

Mouseketeer
We are staying at the Riviera and can't decide where to have my husband's 50th bday dinner, Topolino's or Flying Fish. Based upon the allergy menus it looks like I'll be having scallops at either place. We've never been to Topolino's and haven't been to Flying Fish in probably ten years.

Any recommendations as to which restaurant would feel more celebratory or which scallop dish is better? We will be eating at Cali Grill the night before, and eating around EPCOT during the day, so also wondering which meal might be a better follow up to that plan. Thanks!

Since you’re going to order the same proteins at either place, take a look at the appetizers and see if one looks better than the other.

Topolino‘s around firework time would probably be a little more celebratory. We ate at Topolino’s a couple nights ago and I’m eating at Flying Fish tomorrow. It’s been a while since I’ve been to Flying Fish, but I think Topolino’s will feel a fit “fancier.”

Since you’re going to order the same proteins at either place, take a look at the appetizers and see if one looks better than the other.

Topolino‘s around firework time would probably be a little more celebratory. We ate at Topolino’s a couple nights ago and I’m eating at Flying Fish tomorrow. It’s been a while since I’ve been to Flying Fish, but I think Topolino’s will feel a fit “fancier.”
That's a good point about the fireworks! Would love to know how Flying Fish was after you go, if you get a chance to report back. Thanks :)

Two amazing restaurants!!!

Depends, what you are looking for.

Went to both restaurants in November, both were allergies friendly, With great recommendations menu changes.

Both had amazing meals.

The fireworks from the Riviera were pretty
cool.

If your party is small the bar at Flying Fish is great.

If you forgot to get ADR the “lounge” at Topolino is pretty easy to walk up to for breakfast and dinner…..

(Not really a lounge, but that’s what they call it) also kid friendly

This could be a coin toss, and you wouldn’t go wrong with either.

I much prefer the food and atmosphere at Flying Fish. The night we went to Topolino's, it was quite loud and had a very, casual atmosphere - not great for a celebration dinner, IMHO (it will pale in comparison to Cali Grill, IMHO). However, if you will be tired from walking around EP all day and simply want to relax at your resort for the evening, Topolino's might be the right choice.

I much prefer the food and atmosphere at Flying Fish. The night we went to Topolino's, it was quite loud and had a very, casual atmosphere
That’s an interesting perspective. We had one of those cubby booths at Topolino’s and it felt intimate; not at all casual. I bet everyone gets a different experience based on where they sit.

Having recently been to both, I would choose Topolino’s for food, atmosphere, and service.
Enjoy!

I haven’t been to topolino’s but we just dined at flying fish Sunday night and it was amazing! We split the pork belly app, husband had the snapper and I had the scallops.

That’s an interesting perspective. We had one of those cubby booths at Topolino’s and it felt intimate; not at all casual. I bet everyone gets a different experience based on where they sit.

I think you are right. We were smack dab in the middle of the dining room.

Has there been any reviews of Flying Fish really since reopening? I would be wary with how long it was closed as putting it as "the dinner" on a trip. Topolinos is great and something I could easily give the node to.

I much prefer the food and atmosphere at Flying Fish. The night we went to Topolino's, it was quite loud and had a very, casual atmosphere - not great for a celebration dinner, IMHO (it will pale in comparison to Cali Grill, IMHO). However, if you will be tired from walking around EP all day and simply want to relax at your resort for the evening, Topolino's might be the right choice.
Depending on how you hit the crowds …. Flying fish can be really loud…. If you are in the little back room not so much….

I have been in Citricos with another party celebrating something and three sheet to the wind….. it was very unenjoyable ….. all depends

Has there been any reviews of Flying Fish really since reopening? I would be wary with how long it was closed as putting it as "the dinner" on a trip. Topolinos is great and something I could easily give the node to.
I can review it! Nov 16, 2022

Food was amazing! As always….

We had reservation but choose to sit at the bar.

I have the octopus appetizer, wife had the grilled Cesar.

I had a pasta and seafood special …. Loved it

She had another special maybe halibut I was to involved in mine to remember.

But she loved it as well the bread ….

She loved the

Thanks for all the advice. I think we'll most likely try Topolino's since we've never been. The fireworks definitely seem like it will make it feel more special, and I'll try to get one of those cozy booths. Cheers!

That's a good point about the fireworks! Would love to know how Flying Fish was after you go, if you get a chance to report back. Thanks :)
I found Flying Fish to be more loud and hectic, but the food was still amazing. I think it’s more complex than Topolino’s; a little more adventurous. My wife was less impressed with her meal, though, so we’re headed back to Topolino’s tonight.

I found Flying Fish to be more loud and hectic, but the food was still amazing. I think it’s more complex than Topolino’s; a little more adventurous. My wife was less impressed with her meal, though, so we’re headed back to Topolino’s tonight.
Thanks for the update! Sounds like both places may have their pros and cons. Glad you can go back to Topolino's :)

I love both and do not think you can go wrong. But I'd probably pick Flying Fish for a special meal. I prefer the atmosphere - feels more special and sophisticated to me with the dark blues and gold. Also the plating at Flying Fish is more exquisite. Topolino's feels more chaotic and a bit more casual to me -- but as someone pointed out above, it may have to do with where you're seated and also that we do breakfast there often. The views from the deck at Topolino's are great - though it can get crowded out there and I don't think they pipe the music in. Both are in my top 10% of choices for dinner so can't go wrong. Happy 50th to your husband!! Hope you have a great celebration!!

I give my nod to FF. Topolino's was good, but not on the same level as FF which is excellent, imho. Flying Fish wins on food, service, and atmosphere. But especially the food. But it is all personal.

Had dinner at FF in September. Food and service was fabulous - better than the last time we went pre-covid. Everything my party ordered we enjoyed.

After this week, between food, service, and atmosphere, these are my ratings:
Food: Flying Fish
Service: Tie
Atmosphere: Topolino's.

We were at both our last 2 trips and enjoyed both meals.
Toppolinos tends to be louder. However, we love watching the fireworks during the meal of their balcony. It really depends on the style of food that you like. Toppolinos is more Mediterranean, and Flying Fish is mainly Seafood, no regional flavors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter