Too bad the fireworks receptions are horrible now.

We used to park and stake out spots, but conditions just got progressively worse and people got nastier and pushier over the years. The final straw was when my daughter got her foot tore up by a woman on a scooter who was mad that we wouldn't step back and let her in front of us. She literally just drove over my daughters foot. She did an number on it and it impacted the rest of our trip- we had to get a scooter ourselves for her. I decided then, never again.
This and the recent news stories about fights in the parks lately has me worried about just trying to find a spot on our own to watch. Maybe behind the castle is safer, but I would hate to miss the projections. I'm so sorry about your daughter's foot! That is so awful. Not a happy memory of fireworks like it should be.

This and the recent news stories about fights in the parks lately has me worried about just trying to find a spot on our own to watch. Maybe behind the castle is safer, but I would hate to miss the projections. I'm so sorry about your daughter's foot! That is so awful. Not a happy memory of fireworks like it should be.

Because we aren't fans of the new show, we opted to watch behind the castle in September. It's a pretty amazing view. You don't see the projections, but it's still nice and much more relaxing than being out there in that crowd. It's not crowded in the least back there. But yes, it's not a memory one wants to have and I won't ever repeat it. When we get a new show, we'll be back to the dessert buffet. I hope they bring the Castle dining package back before then. It's pricey but we've been wanting to take my grandson since he's never eaten there.

After really thinking about it I don’t think I can handle finding a spot and then dealing with the crowds. I checked this morning and a dessert after party was available for the same day we cancelled so I booked it. Felt it was fate. Lol. Then I came here and read @cakebaker story and feel better about my decision.

Back in the Wishes days we would just walk up and watch wherever. Usually on the bridge from Adventureland. The kids were young and were fine with that and we didn’t wait for hours. Nowadays it seems much worse.

What’s the difference with the pre and after party? We will be in the garden viewing. Not seats and treats.

After really thinking about it I don’t think I can handle finding a spot and then dealing with the crowds. I checked this morning and a dessert after party was available for the same day we cancelled so I booked it. Felt it was fate. Lol. Then I came here and read @cakebaker story and feel better about my decision.

Back in the Wishes days we would just walk up and watch wherever. Usually on the bridge from Adventureland. The kids were young and were fine with that and we didn’t wait for hours. Nowadays it seems much worse.

What’s the difference with the pre and after party? We will be in the garden viewing. Not seats and treats.
We much prefer the after party. 1)You can get a spot in the garden area before the pre party gets there and 2) You sit back and eat desserts while the masses clear out from the fireworks. It's the only one we do now. It is hectic getting to the dessert party, but we don't try and fight it too hard, just slowly move your way over there.

We much prefer the after party. 1)You can get a spot in the garden area before the pre party gets there and 2) You sit back and eat desserts while the masses clear out from the fireworks. It's the only one we do now. It is hectic getting to the dessert party, but we don't try and fight it too hard, just slowly move your way over there.

How early do you suggest arriving?

If you want your choice of spots, we like to get there shortly after the pre-party starts but before a lot of guests are finished and moving over, maybe an hour or so before fireworks start.

I think we will grab some sleepy hollow or Casey’s and have dinner while we wait.

We like to go in, have a light snack of some kind and just sit in the grassy area and relax a little. It's nice to get out of the crowd.

Where do you suggest sitting/standing? Is the back railing still considered the “best” spot?

Where do you suggest sitting/standing? Is the back railing still considered the “best” spot?

Center back rail is our sweet spot, but anything close to center works well. We have stood in the dead center and it was nice, but the further back you are, the less heads and phones and kids on shoulders will bother you. We didn't get a lot of kids on shoulders inside the garden area, although I'm sure it happens, but you do get a lot outside of it and at the back of the fence, they won't block your view.

Center back rail is our sweet spot, but anything close to center works well. We have stood in the dead center and it was nice, but the further back you are, the less heads and phones and kids on shoulders will bother you. We didn't get a lot of kids on shoulders inside the garden area, although I'm sure it happens, but you do get a lot outside of it and at the back of the fence, they won't block your view.

Thanks so much for your help!

One tip I can add is people sit and expect to keep sitting in the Plaza Garden during the show. But once the show starts, everyone stands so don’t get the upset if you have to stand during the show.
Cast Members actually made us stand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter