Tomorrowland expansion

Here is a crazy idea. The main problem with the speedway for many seems to be the waste of space. I have a couple ideas to work around this and allow for other attractions in the area without decreasing the length or quality of the attraction.

1. Build a tiers level track, much like a go kart track. The cars they currently have might not have the energy to make it up hills so new cars might be needed, but while I love the nostalgic smell of the gas cars, electric would probably be an improvement and would allow part of the attraction to be themed and indoors. You could also have the ride start at the top and end at the bottom and then have a belt system that returns the cars to the top.

2. Build part of the track on TOP of a new show building for new rides in the area. It could even go through them, ala the people mover. You could theme as driving through the country and then onto the highway that leads up on top of the building into a tour of a modified version of Walt's EPCOT. The view from afar would feature a forced perspective city of tomorrow, with a show building underneath for a new attraction.

it gives the appearance of drawing good crowds because the riders per hour (500ish) is fairly low compared to most attractions. The acreage available on a speedway demo is equivalent to the space taken up by Stitch, Monsters, Buzz, CoP and Astro Orbiter combined. I could easily see 2 or 3 new attractions occupying that area each with a higher ride capacity.

This is the biggest problem with it now. They could do so much more in that space. Tron Coaster would be awesome and totally fits the theme. Could lessen the crowds at space mountain.

I'm totally not a fan of the Tron movies, but it does seem to fit with Tomorrowland perfectly. Plus they need to give a reason for people to go right in the morning. Space Mountain is great, but after that what do you have that's a big draw?

I completely disagree. I don't believe that only kids should be able to enjoy Magic Kingdom. It is a park for the whole family. Adults plan all year for their vacations because we love it. My favorite rides in the whole park are Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain, which can be enjoyed by everyone.

Walt Disney himself envisioned on a park bench a place where Families can be entertained, not just the littles ones. The whole family isn't enjoying the waste of space speedway.

and yes Stitch stinks too.

MK is not "for" kids, but it has been designed with children inmind. As an adult I love the MK, but there are a whole host of attractions that I avoid because they are the ones that I take the little ones on.

I will say that MOnsters Inc is a whole family favorite though. Corny jokes included!

If they take out Buzz we protest. (Like that ever helps.) Buzz isn't really like that other ride other than it's a game with Toy Story theming. The games are actually quite different.

Buzz could use a redo though.

Oh boy, does Buzz need a refurb!

I did read what you said and I think you're wrong. The park is PRIMARILY for the whole family, not PRIMARILY for kids. Any age can love Star Wars, Disney films, Pixar, Marvel and Avatar. The only thing that is PRIMARILY for kids is Disney Junior.

I agree that MK is for the entire family, but much of the magic has been designed with children in mind. Of course there needs to be attractions that are appropriate for all ages.

I would love to see a revamp of Tomorrowland. The first thing I would do is refurb SM and Buzz. Holy Cow, both of those attractions are a mess, and such a shame that is!

The Speedway? I have lovely memories of my own kids enjoying that attractions as well as my DH taking our DGD on it. But I think that it is a waste of space and should be removed completely. There is nothing that is even remotely attached to "tomorrow" with that attraction. I have no idea what those little cars run on now, but that area smells like exhaust....and Tomorrow should be "clean".

Stitch? Oh my gosh...please do something with that attraction.

The Speedway? I have lovely memories of my own kids enjoying that attractions as well as my DH taking our DGD on it. But I think that it is a waste of space and should be removed completely. There is nothing that is even remotely attached to "tomorrow" with that attraction. I have no idea what those little cars run on now, but that area smells like exhaust....and Tomorrow should be "clean".

Stitch? Oh my gosh...please do something with that attraction.

Yep, I think they just wanted to put in some Disneyland favs to please the public. But it is now looking like a priest at a bar mitzvah. It doesn't fit with the rest of the environment.

If they are going to keep it they should at least change the cars and have it run on electricity.

Disney probably won't say anything about Tomorrowland's expansion during D23. They just want to do their usual advertising for imminent rides and lands. Imminent for Disney meaning things being developed for the next 2-3 years.

Last edited:

They need to do something with TL IMO. CoP is very large and very decrepit. Not that I don't like it but it needs either major overhaul or replacement. Stitch has needed to be replaced since it was built lol. There is a lot of dead space in TL that needs a purpose/future.

They need to do something with TL IMO. CoP is very large and very decrepit. Not that I don't like it but it needs either major overhaul or replacement. Stitch has needed to be replaced since it was built lol. There is a lot of dead space in TL that needs a purpose/future.

I agree, Space Mountain and People Mover are my only Must do's.

I never know which red dot is mine on the Buzz Lightyear ride. The glow in the dark visuals are cool, but I score like a toddler. I'd cheat if I could.

and like you said Stitch is the bottom of the barrel. It's time to reshape the interior of that building and bring in something else. The attraction is so bad the vehicle holds people down, so they don't walk out.

Which makes morning the perfect time for 'me' to visit Tomorrowland.

LOL, that's true. I feel the same way about Adventureland. But if Disney wants to keep the crowds down in Fantasyland, they had to do something.

Hollywood has faced the same predicament since Midway opened. Most people are rocketing towards Toy Story in the morning. They won't even think of going left until Star Wars Land opens.

Hello again, I’ve heard some new details about a possible Tomorrowland expansion in Magic Kingdom. It seems like they want to get rid of everything that isn’t futuristic, space themed or just plain stinks (Stitch).

- Wreck it Ralph or The Incredibles (would replace Stitch)

-- both rides are similar to Flight of Passage at Animal Kingdom

- Big Hero 6 (Monsters Inc)

-- this one is very influenced by many of the Fantasyland dark rides (especially Voyage of the Little Mermaid) in the Magic Kingdom

- Tron or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea coaster (Speedway)

-- both rides layouts would be based on the Tron coaster ride in Shanghai Disney.
Are you the same poster that brought info from your "Uncle" and was wrong over and over again? New account, but same MO.

Your track record is abysmal, and that tells me you are an Armchair Imagineer. That's fine, but really you should go to the proper arena. You have fun ideas, but honestly this isn't the proper place to share them.

Tell your Uncle Hi! ;)

Are you the same poster that brought info from your "Uncle" and was wrong over and over again? New account, but same MO.

Your track record is abysmal, and that tells me you are an Armchair Imagineer. That's fine, but really you should go to the proper arena. You have fun ideas, but honestly this isn't the proper place to share them.

Tell your Uncle Hi! ;)
Out of all the things the OP has posted, this one makes the most sense since I do think something will happen with Tomorrowland

Tell your Uncle Hi! ;)

You're wrong, maybe you should keep your comments to yourself. Especially if you don't know what you're talking about. I said that Stars Wars Land and a new Pixar section was being talked about. We're getting SWL and the Pixar Section transformed into Toy Story Land.

You're wrong, maybe you should keep your comments to yourself. Especially if you don't know what you're talking about. I said that Stars Wars Land and a new Pixar section was being talked about. We're getting SWL and the Pixar Section transformed into Toy Story Land.
Well both Star Wars and some form of Pixar were pretty obvious. Anyone could have seen that coming.

Well both Star Wars and some form of Pixar were pretty obvious. Anyone could have seen that coming.

That's true, Disney knows how to make money. Building a new land and movies will provide Mega money to Disney for generations. They are putting Krusty the Clown to shame with how many things they're selling with Star Wars. Next thing they'll be selling Darth Vader toilet paper. (ala Spaceballs)

I'm so happy that Disney bought Star Wars though. George Lucas has lost his touch. He doesn't want or know how to make movies in real settings with people in costumes. Disney animated films look more realistic than the Prequels.

The last Indy was awful too. Shia Lebouf swinging through the jungle and aliens???

I'd like it if they changed the appearance of Tomorrowland. All they've added in recent years is sharp looking purple rocks. I'd rather them bring back the cool waterfalls they once had near the entry way.

1b39c7663dd7c5792394f9ec8958509f.jpg

I'd like it if they changed the appearance of Tomorrowland. All they've added in recent years is sharp looking purple rocks. I'd rather them bring back the cool waterfalls they once had near the entry way.

1b39c7663dd7c5792394f9ec8958509f.jpg
Wow, how long ago was this? I have been going since 1981 and don't recall these water features. Looks cool

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter