Tomorrowland expansion

Is disneysource actually Jim Hill? Both said that Monsters Inc would be removed and both like to tell long stories about rumored lands and attractions.

We just got to look for Len Testa. It's probably the poster who is kissing up to disneysource and oooing and ahhhhing.

I kid, I kid.

Last edited:
They need to do something with the speedway. While it can eat a decent number of people, its footprint is larger than Space Mountain, and could be capable of so much more. If you count the land bays next to Space Mountain, the speedway is locking up more than 3 Space Mountain sized areas. The expansion of tomorrowland and/or fantasy land is a great opportunity it they are willing to get rid of the speedway.

Actually, the Speedway is among the lowest hourly capacity attractions in MK. Not counting M&Gs and Enchanted Tales, I think only Barnstormer is lower.

Actually, the Speedway is among the lowest hourly capacity attractions in MK. Not counting M&Gs and Enchanted Tales, I think only Barnstormer is lower.
Pretty much everything about Speedway is unattractive. The smell, the sound, the way it works, the capacity, the maintenance (ever try and keep a fleet of go carts running? You need a full-time lawnmower mechanic), the minor environmental impact but the major impression. I think the reason they didn't close it 20 years ago is that it uses so much space it will be expensive to replace and if you just board it up, like they did with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea for a few years, you can still see into it from the People Mover. So they either have to tear it out and landscape the area to look decent in a short period of time, or they actually have to replace something that sits on a huge plot of land. That was cost prohibitive during the "we aren't doing anything for WDW" time period. I think we are actually getting close now to seeing a change now that money is available for WDW investment. They just have to decide what to change it to.

I actually prefer Buzz to Midway. I think Buzz is more fun, but I wouldn't object to a refurb. It could use some polish and plussing.

well, even compared to the Disneyland version, the one at WDW clearly needs to be updated. Change out the guns for the version they have at Disneyland that aren't attached to the car and just make the shooting more accurate, update the animatronics, etc. Doesn't need a complete overhaul, just an update

I agree...my son loves Miles -- the whole concept fits Tomorrowland to a tee (right down to the Tomorrowland Transit Authority), not sure why they haven't incorporated at all (not even a simple character M&G somewhere, if they don't want to sink $$ into an attraction for a TV show?)

It's hard to know how long a show/character will be popular, so I totally get not doing a bit attraction for Miles - but I agree, no reason they couldn't do a meet and greet or use the stage where they had the Increadibles Dance Party for a Miles show or something

well, even compared to the Disneyland version, the one at WDW clearly needs to be updated. Change out the guns for the version they have at Disneyland that aren't attached to the car and just make the shooting more accurate, update the animatronics, etc. Doesn't need a complete overhaul, just an update

I agree. I enjoy Buzz. I enjoy TSMM better because I actually know which hits are mine. You think they could vary the laser colors so you have a better idea of what you actually hit. If you hit anything, which is difficult right now. Small improvements could make this ride much better and good to go for another 20 years.

Pretty much everything about Speedway is unattractive. The smell, the sound, the way it works, the capacity, the maintenance (ever try and keep a fleet of go carts running? You need a full-time lawnmower mechanic), the minor environmental impact but the major impression. I think the reason they didn't close it 20 years ago is that it uses so much space it will be expensive to replace and if you just board it up, like they did with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea for a few years, you can still see into it from the People Mover. So they either have to tear it out and landscape the area to look decent in a short period of time, or they actually have to replace something that sits on a huge plot of land. That was cost prohibitive during the "we aren't doing anything for WDW" time period. I think we are actually getting close now to seeing a change now that money is available for WDW investment. They just have to decide what to change it to.

Well, I know my kids (and I think a lot of kids) still love it - and it is one attraction that is at nearly every Disney park (heck, Disneyland used to have 3 versions at one time). So my preference is that they fix it up and make it more futuristic. The version at Hong Kong used electric cars that made futuristic sounds and had fun futuristic scenery and stuff - even just doing that would be an improvement

and I would also support having a second attraction build over it so that part of the track was indoors/under that attraction and some was outdoors

Well, I know my kids (and I think a lot of kids) still love it - and it is one attraction that is at nearly every Disney park (heck, Disneyland used to have 3 versions at one time). So my preference is that they fix it up and make it more futuristic. The version at Hong Kong used electric cars that made futuristic sounds and had fun futuristic scenery and stuff - even just doing that would be an improvement

and I would also support having a second attraction build over it so that part of the track was indoors/under that attraction and some was outdoors

My kids love the go cart track here at our local Funcenter and the ridiculously souped up indoor go cart track that we went to once not far away. I thought they'd like speedway, but my twin 5 year old boys couldn't wait to get off in December. Slow, boring, you can't actually steer or pass anyone. It's inferior in every way to what's available locally. I guess if they didn't know anything else they might have liked it more, but you can go to a better version pretty much anywhere in the U.S. Disney needs to do something with it to make it a Disney attraction.

My kids love the go cart track here at our local Funcenter and the ridiculously souped up indoor go cart track that we went to once not far away. I thought they'd like speedway, but my twin 5 year old boys couldn't wait to get off in December. Slow, boring, you can't actually steer or pass anyone. It's inferior in every way to what's available locally. I guess if they didn't know anything else they might have liked it more, but you can go to a better version pretty much anywhere in the U.S. Disney needs to do something with it to make it a Disney attraction.

yeah, we don't really have anything near us that they can do (only the high speed indoor ones that they are too young for) so they still love this (or when they do similar at Hershey park) so maybe that is part of it. But I have seen other people say the same thing and it does often have a long line (I know some of that is that it is fairly low capacity but part of it has to be that people like it)

yeah, we don't really have anything near us that they can do (only the high speed indoor ones that they are too young for) so they still love this (or when they do similar at Hershey park) so maybe that is part of it. But I have seen other people say the same thing and it does often have a long line (I know some of that is that it is fairly low capacity but part of it has to be that people like it)

At our local indoor souped up one, only my daughter got to go. Have to be 48" tall. She didn't have any interest in Speedway and in 3 visits has never been on it (only once did I get her a FP, I learned quick). The boys like the funcenter one. They can't drive, but they ride along with my wife and I while we slam around the corners and pass each other and bounce off the cars and walls (lightly. It's against the rules but everyone does it and half the fun!). Speedway just can't compare. I'd like to see it removed, but at the very least they have to do something to make it Disney. It's the least "Disney" ride in any of the Parks. Even the various flying arm rides are all themed, and the Teacups are from Alice. Speedway is just... well, there.

At our local indoor souped up one, only my daughter got to go. Have to be 48" tall. She didn't have any interest in Speedway and in 3 visits has never been on it (only once did I get her a FP, I learned quick). The boys like the funcenter one. They can't drive, but they ride along with my wife and I while we slam around the corners and pass each other and bounce off the cars and walls (lightly. It's against the rules but everyone does it and half the fun!). Speedway just can't compare. I'd like to see it removed, but at the very least they have to do something to make it Disney. It's the least "Disney" ride in any of the Parks. Even the various flying arm rides are all themed, and the Teacups are from Alice. Speedway is just... well, there.

I guess because it is such a classic to Disney parks and Disneyland always had the autopia (and then the junior autopia and then the midget autopia) that I very much associate that type or ride with a Disney park - the same way I do the Jungle Cruise even though that is not themed to a Disney IP. I do think it needs to be updated and made more future and, at the end of the day, if they remove it and put in some amazing attraction (or attractions) I will get over it ... think it is just one of those things that I see more value in than others due to nostalgia/historical reasons

I guess because it is such a classic to Disney parks and Disneyland always had the autopia (and then the junior autopia and then the midget autopia) that I very much associate that type or ride with a Disney park - the same way I do the Jungle Cruise even though that is not themed to a Disney IP. I do think it needs to be updated and made more future and, at the end of the day, if they remove it and put in some amazing attraction (or attractions) I will get over it ... think it is just one of those things that I see more value in than others due to nostalgia/historical reasons

Hmm. The Jungle Cruise has AAs, something that was iconic to Disney, and pretty much only Disney, when it opened. I just don't see anything iconic on Speedway, but I get what you are saying.

Okay,

I misread the chart, you are right about the capacity, which makes it so far beyond a waste of space that it is staggering. If you could put in 3 attractions that ate up around 1,500-2,000 people per hour, then the improvement in guest experience would be pretty impressive.

I misread the chart, you are right about the capacity, which makes it so far beyond a waste of space that it is staggering. If you could put in 3 attractions that ate up around 1,500-2,000 people per hour, then the improvement in guest experience would be pretty impressive.

I agree, I am in the "just get rid of it" camp. At least with "the Barnstormer" and "Swiss Treehouse" you're done with them pretty quickly. This one seems to go on forever, there isn't even things to look at either, like a robot or something.

Last edited:
Tokyo got rid of there speedway and is in the process of expanding both Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, so why cat WDW. The speedway is outdated and does not help with its low capacity. I don't see why any of the Disney parks other than California still have to speedway. It can stay in Disneyland cause it's a classic and was just updated but everywhere else it has to go and Tokyo along with the other international parks are already starting to take that step.

As much as I love Monsters Inc...it's a throw in. That property doesn't belong in Tomorrowland. I don't personally like the "The Incredibles" rumors. That property doesn't belong there either.

Tomorrowland definitely needs a face lift though. I'm glad to see them thinking about it. I really hope they update the Carousel of Progress. I LOVE that ride. The last stage I mean obviously. Also...I wish they maintained it better. Each year I go...a different character looks like they are having a stroke at some point in the show.

Cosmic Rays could use some sprucing as well.

Still...Tomorrowland looks great at night!

As much as I love Monsters Inc...it's a throw in. That property doesn't belong in Tomorrowland. I don't personally like the "The Incredibles" rumors. That property doesn't belong there either.

I agree 150%, Monsters Inc. seems like it was accidently put into Tomorrowland. It feels more like a Hollywood Studios or even Fantasyland attraction. Stitch is horrible, but at least that piece of poo fits the theme.

It doesn't fit in Tomorrowland at all. Unless of course Monsters do eventually take over the world and we are forced to entertain them. But my bets on Cyborgs, Aliens or Apes.

Move Monster's Inc. into DHS where it belongs, remove Stitch and add in future related attractions in these two spaces. No specific ideas right now, but a Miles themed attraction in place of Stitch could work, even though they aren't creating new shows. I'm not sure right now what to replace Monsters with, as it isn't really big enough for anything except a show similar in staging to what is there. Remove Speedway and plan for three different attractions in that space. I would love to see the Tron Coaster (or even some other Tron type attraction) in the pad behind Space Mountain, and then Speedway could become 1 or 2 other attractions more geared towards kids. They could be themed around the Black Hole, WALL-E, Meet the Robinsons, or off some other theme that isn't movie themed (my preference).

You could even bring a revised version of speedway back over behind the rail station near barnstormer, but have 3-5 tracks with different speed cars on different tracks - low speed on 2 tracks for young/small kids, medium speed for slightly older kids, and then high speed (maybe double what they go now) for kids up to age 12-13. Wouldn't be an amazing attraction, but if keeping the nostalgia factor is important it could be done, but not in tomorrowland.

The biggest need they have though, in my opinion, is to increase the seating capacity in Cosmic Ray's by almost double. That place is ridiculously packed during most times of the year.

I got an idea

If there's going be "Speedway" loyalist chained to the ride vehicles. Rather then just drag them off (which would be funny), they could try to pacify them.

They could just create a VR version of it in the "Stitch" building. It would take less space and they can the change the environment to suit the seasons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter