To Those Who Get Queasy On Star Tours...

Last time we were at Disney there was no Star Tours, unless we just missed it, lol. My DD & DH really want to do this ride but after reading some posts I'm a little worried. I hate feeling nauseous and am wondering just how bad it can be. Don't know if this helps but my 2 fav rides are Tower of Terror & Rockin Rollercoaster. If I can handle those would I be able to handle Star Tours. Sorry if my rambling doesn't make sense. :(

They had Star Tours when we went 8 years ago but they just revamped it. I did fine on the old Star Tours but Body Wars totally messed me up.

I typically sit out star tours, I just can't handle it.

I typically ride the bench while DW, DS, and DS ride Star Tours.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

I typically sit out star tours, I just can't handle it.

I typically ride the bench while DW, DS, and DS ride Star Tours.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

This is what my mom does. The last time she rode it she had taken meclizine, but it didn't help. She got deathly ill and had to go back to the room immediatly. She wasn't just nauseated. She vomited for several hours afterwards. Now she just waits for me in the gift shop.

Last time we were at Disney there was no Star Tours, unless we just missed it, lol. My DD & DH really want to do this ride but after reading some posts I'm a little worried. I hate feeling nauseous and am wondering just how bad it can be. Don't know if this helps but my 2 fav rides are Tower of Terror & Rockin Rollercoaster. If I can handle those would I be able to handle Star Tours. Sorry if my rambling doesn't make sense. :(

Yep, Star Tours has been there for years...you must have just not gotten to that area.
My dd22 cant do simulator rides AT ALL. She can ride every type of coaster (loves SM, BRMRR, RNR, EE) and TOT one of her all time favorites. Simulators are just different and now she avoids them like the plague. So, just because you can do TOT and RNR...dont count on being able to do ST. If you have problems with motion sickness, it may not be the ride for you:faint: I think you would just have to try it once and see how you feel afterwards.

I'm inclined to agree with PP. I think one of the first questions to ask these friends are do they get motion sick in a car? I think that if thats the case they may want to avoid getting on and wating for you. I wish I had looked over posts about this ride when I went. I got on it last September for the first time and will not get on it again. The whole looking at a screen while the vehicle is moving in jerky sideways motions is what threw me off. I sucked it up as there was nothing that would help. And I am one of thoes who gets car sick when I am in the passenger seat of a car. If I'm driving Im okay.

The good part is I wasnt messed up for the whole day after that, just maybe ten, fifteen min as I tried to regroup.

Have a great trip.

I'm pretty bad when it comes to motion sickness. I have what I call...my "cocktail" that I have to take before a flight...or when I know I am going to be in anything that might cause sickness..like Star Tours.

I swear by a Bonine and a 16oz Mountain Dew. The Bonine does knock me out, but the 16oz Dew seems to be just the right amound of caffeine to counteract the drug, yet not wire me so I can't sleep. I do that in the AM if we have a morning flight. If we have a night flight before Disney, I just get my body in the rhythm of taking the Bonine around 4pm...get on the plane at 7, take a quick nap on the flight...and then get a good night's sleep. The effects of the Bonine last about 24 hours so you are good all the next day.

Now...depending on your activity..day 2 can be a little bit of a crapshoot..but nobody knows your body better than you do. It might take a few times to figure it out..but that's what I do. I don't drink caffeine much at all so the Mt. Dew really wires me.

It depends on the level is motion sickness a person has. I get sick after 20 minutes in the car. Dramamine makes me able to ride in the car/plane. But I still can't read in the car, even with heavy doses of meds.
Non-drowsy Dramamine and Bonine are the same drug. I cannot tolerate them, they make me feel zonked all day (not sleepy, just loopy and drugged)
Sea bands/ginger/mints etc. do NOTHING to help me. They would never help severe cases of motion sickness. Ever.
I have never tried ST, most likely never will.

I'm pretty bad when it comes to motion sickness. I have what I call...my "cocktail" that I have to take before a flight...or when I know I am going to be in anything that might cause sickness..like Star Tours.

I swear by a Bonine and a 16oz Mountain Dew. The Bonine does knock me out, but the 16oz Dew seems to be just the right amound of caffeine to counteract the drug, yet not wire me so I can't sleep. I do that in the AM if we have a morning flight. If we have a night flight before Disney, I just get my body in the rhythm of taking the Bonine around 4pm...get on the plane at 7, take a quick nap on the flight...and then get a good night's sleep. The effects of the Bonine last about 24 hours so you are good all the next day.

Now...depending on your activity..day 2 can be a little bit of a crapshoot..but nobody knows your body better than you do. It might take a few times to figure it out..but that's what I do. I don't drink caffeine much at all so the Mt. Dew really wires me.

Bonine is the same drug as non-drowsy Dramamine. It should not make you sleepy. I did have a bad reaction to it the one time I took it, never again :(

You guys are going to think I'm weird, but.... if I shut just one eye it seems a little less nauseating. I didn't have this problem until a few years ago. It just happened. :confused3

It also works for me when reading in the car. If I shut one eye I can bear it. Maybe it's a depth perception thing for me. Who knows. If it's something weird or unusual, it generally happens to me. ::yes::

You guys are going to think I'm weird, but.... if I shut just one eye it seems a little less nauseating.

I do the same thing! For some reason it helps a bit. Niagara Falls has a motion ride that if at anytime during the ride you feel too nauseous to continue you just undo the seatbelt and your seat turns off the motion effects. Of course this wouldn't work for bench seating but I like the idea of at least being able to attempt the ride and bail if it gets too much. :crazy2:

The last time we went to ride Star Tours, I just kept walking through the "vehicle" and out the doors on the otherside. I sat on a bench in the hallway and was thanked by a CM for not taking a chance. Waited and my BF came out and said that even he should have done what I did.
From what the CM told me, they have to shut down each one the "vehicles" each day because someone has gotten sick.....eww,,,:eek:

Just thinking of riding ST again is making me queasy right now, but I'm going to do it. Glutton for punishment, I guess, and it IS a really cool ride, especially if you're a Star Wars fan.

For me, personally, I wish they would jack up the AC in the ride a bit. I think that would help. We were there last October on not a particularly warm day and it just seemed that it was so stuffy and hot in there. I remember thinking that the nausea wouldn't have been so bad with a little fresh, cool air pumped into the ride.

I am putting Sea Bands on my trip shopping list. Thanks for the reminder, because I'd forgotten.

I agree about the AC. It never seems cool in there. Fresh air would help immensely.

I like the tip about one eye...and no I don't think you are crazy! It's probably the same principal behind me being less nauseated when there is nothing in front of me.

I LOVE the new Star Tours but after a couple of rides I was starting to feel sick. I'll make sure to pick up some Bonine next time!

My best advice is to sit on the bench with a cool drink while the others ride! HA, not what you wanted to hear.

The original Star Tours made me quesy--the new one was a lot worse. Won't do it again and I do enjoy some quiet moments on the bench.

I watch what I eat that day. No pancakes or OJ in the morning (learned that lesson the hard way this summer at King's Island). And I chew minty gum. I've been doing that since I realized it helped me as a kid with carsickness. I don't know why it helps but it does immensely.

If you want to take something that doesn't make you drowsy, try ginger pills - you can get them in almost any pharmacy / health food stores. Even Mythbusters has proven that it helps with nausea, sometimes better than the over the counter medication that can make you sleepy.

Plus, even if it doesn't work, ginger has all kinds of great health benefits, so it won't hurt! And...I don't know anyone who is allergic to ginger, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I always carry ginger pills and take some every morning that I'm at WDW to ensure that my tummy doesn't get cranky with me.

Good luck!

I won't ever be riding Star Tours again. It made me sicker than any ride ever has. I came very close to hurling after that ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter