• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To the Mothership!!! A WDW First-Timer's Trip Report! UPDATE 9/23

what a fun day at AK! Glad you enjoyed Everest so much!

That ride photo from Dinosaur is great!

Definitely nice sometimes to have a bit of a relaxing evening to just compress and chat and catch up and stuff!

best of luck with the job search

You can tell that Jordan is enjoying EE in that first ride picture. And then in the second one, all the people in front of you are turned around looking at you two!

Great Dinosaur pic! That little scare must have caught you by surprise. :rotfl2:

I'm another one who like the CS pizza at Disney World. I understand it's not the best but there is something about it that I like. Maybe it's just because I'm eating it in Disney?? :scratchin

Loved the Dinosaur pic! My sister had a similar one but you could barely see her because she had thrown herself down over our laps! :rotfl: Ever since then, she has refused to ride it and she makes a big scene if we try and make her.

Though I love Dinosaurs and this ride is cool, it has NOTHING on the Indiana Jones ride in DL. Love love love that ride:goodvibes and I am so sad that we don't have it in WDW!

Yay update!

Okay, what are those people in your EE picture looking back at? Is it supposed to be the claw coming down in the pic(that they add) or were you guys just screaming so loud they thought you would being murdered by the yeti? :confused3

What a fantastic AK day! I'll keep the recommendation for the Pizzafari mousse in mind for our trip! Looks like you had a great time, and nice to finish it off with a quiet dinner and talk at POR!

Oh gosh, guys. I'm apparently really bad at updating, considering it makes me about a month to post an update. I'm hoping to post at least two updates this week!

Ooh! It looks like you had a wonderful time at AK! I love the Dinosaur picture! :rotfl: It reminds me of the time I rode it with my nephew and he looks like you, except he had been like that through the whole ride! (He, naturally, denies that!) But I jumped and ducked too, so it looks like both of us are petrified! :rotfl:

And I love the safari, and you know, I enjoy Pizzafari. I do. I need to eat there at least once a trip. Call my a sucker, but I love that CS cheese pizza!

I'll be arriving at POR on July 29th after a week at All Star Sports, so when I saw the pictures there again I got all excited!!!

That DINOSAUR picture gets me every time. And Pizzafari was just fine, the mousse especially!

what a fun day at AK! Glad you enjoyed Everest so much!

That ride photo from Dinosaur is great!

Definitely nice sometimes to have a bit of a relaxing evening to just compress and chat and catch up and stuff!

best of luck with the job search

Thank you! And it was really nice to just sit in a quiet corner and relax after a long day!

You can tell that Jordan is enjoying EE in that first ride picture. And then in the second one, all the people in front of you are turned around looking at you two!

Great Dinosaur pic! That little scare must have caught you by surprise. :rotfl2:

I have no idea why they're all looking at us!

I'm another one who like the CS pizza at Disney World. I understand it's not the best but there is something about it that I like. Maybe it's just because I'm eating it in Disney?? :scratchin

Loved the Dinosaur pic! My sister had a similar one but you could barely see her because she had thrown herself down over our laps! :rotfl: Ever since then, she has refused to ride it and she makes a big scene if we try and make her.

Though I love Dinosaurs and this ride is cool, it has NOTHING on the Indiana Jones ride in DL. Love love love that ride:goodvibes and I am so sad that we don't have it in WDW!

Indiana Jones in Disneyland is just incredible! Nothing compares!

Yay update!

Okay, what are those people in your EE picture looking back at? Is it supposed to be the claw coming down in the pic(that they add) or were you guys just screaming so loud they thought you would being murdered by the yeti? :confused3

What a fantastic AK day! I'll keep the recommendation for the Pizzafari mousse in mind for our trip! Looks like you had a great time, and nice to finish it off with a quiet dinner and talk at POR!

We did have a great time! We were just talking last night about wanting to go back!

Very impressive Erin!!

Thank you!

Finally an update! As usual, things are crazy. I'm still looking for a job, which is not my favorite pastime. And Jordan and I are moving in a month so we've been looking at apartments and figuring all that out! It's exhausting!

But here is an UPDATE! YAY!

Wednesday, March 5 was our designated Hollywood Studios Day. We weren’t planning on spending the entire day there but I wanted to get there at opening so we could leave mid afternoon and have a relaxing rest of the day back at the hotel. Plus, we had our FP+ for mid morning and an ADR and Sci-Fi Dine In early afternoon.

We got up and, as usual, I went to go get breakfast while Jordan showered. This morning I simply came back with cereal and milk for Jordan and a chocolate muffin for myself. The night before, we had tried to see how much we had spent using the Magic Bands by looking on Jordan’s bank account and there were no purchases shown from WDW. So at this point we didn’t know for sure how much we had charged to his card with our Magic Bands and while we had an idea, we didn’t want to spend too much more until we found out for sure (which we would later that night).

After we were all ready and fed, we went out to the bus stop and waited.

We were definitely wearing matching Monster’s University shirts that day.

And we waited some more. Clearly we were in good spirits that day!

The bus came after a while and we piled on with a few other people. Since we had been on a DHS bus just the day before, we knew it wouldn’t be long until we got there.

TADA! We made it! We actually get to go in today!

DCA’s entrance was recently completely torn down and redone and it looks just like this! If you haven’t been to DCA before, they’ve really don’t a superb job with that park. It used to be just EH, but now it is truly wonderful.

Anyway…

After matching Mickey heads, we were granted entrance!

We had gotten there a little after opening so obviously people were already all over but I didn’t expect to see this many people around already. Maybe it is because this park is smaller than the others? It just seemed busy for early Wednesday morning.

Our first FP+ was approaching and it was for Rockin’ Rollercoaster. I was completely turned around so we had to consult a map. But we soon found our way and we turned a corner and saw…

We weren’t planning on riding Tower of Terror because Jordan doesn’t do heights well (but he somehow manages to love roller coasters? Whatever, he’s a freak) and I’ve ridden it many times at DCA and while I’ll go on it, it isn’t a must do for me. The general consensus is that ToT at DHS is much better than ToT at DCA because of the random drop sequence and one day I would love to experience it but I’m not going by myself!

We had some time to kill and we were both a little hungry so we found a little counter service place and each got a breakfast sandwich.

I got bacon and Jordan got sausage.

The sandwiches were okay. I mean, you couldn’t even compare them to those delectable little pancakes at Boma but they were fine and we were hungry.

And then it was time.

I am a huge roller coaster weenie.

I didn’t brave Space Mountain until I was 12. And I didn’t dare go on California Screamin’ until I was 17. And even then I had to be dragged on. So Rockin’ Rollercoaster was making me really nervous since it is in the dark AND it has inversions.

We got in the FP+ line and were handed this

The standby line was long already so I was glad we weren’t waiting in that, I would have worked myself into a panic attack by the time we got to the front.

We went through the queue and then it was time to board and my hands were all clammy and my heart was beating fast and I was trying to stay calm and then SUDDENLY WE WERE OFF!

And you know what? That is an incredible ride! It seemed short, but it was so fun and smooth!

We got off and I immediately wanted to go again. Jordan wasn’t interested in waiting in the standby line and suggested that we try to rearrange our remaining FP+ so that we can get another for Rockin’ Rollercoaster. I told him I didn’t think we would be able to manage, but I would try anyway!

In the meantime, we grabbed some ice cream from the stand that is right near the exit and meandered our way over to the Indiana Jones Stunt Show.

We were early but we found seats and enjoyed our ice cream while I tried everything I could to see if I could get another FP+ for RnR (no luck).

At Disneyland, we have the Indiana Jones ride and it is by far one of our favorites. We’ve yet to be on anything that even compares. So I was looking forward to the Stunt Show (obviously knowing it wasn’t going to be like the ride).

The show was fun. Probably not something we would use a FP+ for again though.

We exited and had some time to kill before our Star Tours FP+ so we walked over that way and there happened to be a Jedi Training about to start so we found a spot and watched.

I’m not even a Star Wars fan (I know, I know, shame on me), but watching the Jedi Training makes me want to fight Darth Vader.

We wandered over to a little café/bookstore nearby and waited the rest of the time in there. It was cool inside and it was nice to sit for a little bit. After 5 days of walking 8+ miles a day, your feet start to hurt (it wasn’t as big a problem for me as it was for Jordan so I tried to give him opportunities to rest when we could).

I walked out with a Clean/Dirty dishwasher sign (it is AWESOME).

And then it was time to tour the stars!

Up next: Dining in a car!

I agree. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is one of my favorites. Love that ride.

Aw, you should've gone on ToT.

They have FP+ for the Indiana Jones show? Yeah, I wouldn't think you'd need to reserve that.

How did you like Star Tours?

I'm glad you liked RnRC!

I would totally go with you on ToT because you need to ride it! I do like it a lot better than the one in DCA. (sorry!) Though it is kind of cool that your boiler room is multi-leveled, the theming at DHS is incredible and the drops can't be beat!

And speaking of Boma pancakes - they are the little ones, yes? I read on the Disney food blog that they had M&Ms in it. Did yours?

RnRC is fun! I'm glad you like it. ToT is one of my favorites and I'll go on it, solo or with others. I really wish it had a single rider line! Actually I wish a lot more rides had SR lines.

Sci Fi! I ate there (for a snack, basically) just a few weeks ago on my last trip. Can't wait to hear all about your experience!

When I last left off, we were just about to head to lunch at….

When we were looking over our dining options at DHS, it was really clear where we were going to eat. Basically, they had us at awesome milkshakes.

We checked in and we were given the option to wait 10-15 minutes to sit in a car or we could be seated right away if we were okay to sit at a table (flying saucer?). I don’t remember waiting more than 10 minutes before we were called in. The hostess took us in and we were seated in the last row of a car (a cute family with two small children ended up sitting in the first two rows).

We didn’t wait long to place our orders. I ordered a milkshake (cookies and cream I think) and Jordan got a Coke. Jordan ordered a burger and I ordered some sort of hot wings off the appetizer menu as my entrée since I wasn’t overly hungry.

The drinks came fairly quickly and I did very much enjoy the milkshake. It took quite a while for the entrees to arrive and when they did, mine was completely wrong. Instead of hot wings, I got some sort of other wings. The waitress left immediately after delivering our food so I wasn’t able to tell her that my order was wrong. I figured I would at least try what I got, maybe I wouldn’t even have to send it back. So I tried it.

And immediately decided to send whatever it was back.

Once we tracked the waitress down and told her the issue, she didn’t seem overly concerned and took my food away. A few minutes later she brought the correct food back and the hot wings were pretty good. The fries were really good though.

Over all, the food and service weren’t great. Obviously the atmosphere is one of a kind, which I think is really why it is as popular as it is. I’m not sure we would go back but it was something we had each wanted to try out.

And the milkshake was good.

The experience wasn’t wasted.

Jordan wanted to go back to POR for an afternoon rest. I kind of wanted to stay and see what else there was to see and ride but I didn’t want to stay by myself so I agreed. On our way out I did my absolute best to convince Jordan to do the RnR single rider line. He said no. I even suggested I go by myself and he can find a nice shady spot to sit. He said no. I was really disappointed and was starting to feel like there wasn’t much compromise going on and I was getting frustrated. I have some anxiety issues and really struggle with sharing my feelings, I never want to hurt anybody else’s feelings. I’ve gotten significantly better at voicing how I feel, even though I tend to get very emotional. I really wanted to tell Jordan how I was feeling but I knew if I said something I would start crying and that wasn’t something I wanted to do in the middle of DHS. I decided to wait until I calmed myself down and became more rational.

We got back to POR and I headed to read by the pool while Jordan napped. We had a very relaxing afternoon.

That evening we didn’t have any plans so we headed to the food court for dinner and planned to check with the front desk to see if we could get a list of how much we had spent with our handy little Magic Bands.

I think we each got the “create your own pasta” and mine was okay. I forget what I put in it but it was average. The breadstick was a little over-baked, but it was filling and we were satisfied.

Obviously I got something smothered with tons of cheese.

We headed over to the front desk and the CM who helped us was wonderful. We were able to get a print out of all our purchases and it was explained to us that WDW has their own "line of credit" type deal where they wait to charge your card until you’ve spent $1000. When you’ve spend $1000, then they start over. So there really is no way to track what you’ve spent by looking at your bank account.

Those sneaky, sneaky, wonderfully sneaky Magic Bands.

We took the information we got to the River Roost Lounge and looked it over. We had spent more than we had wanted to at this point in our trip so we did some talking and decided to cancel our lunch reservation for Kona Café on Friday.

Once all the adult real life business was taken care of, we realized that YeeHaw Bob was scheduled to perform that night and we decided to stay and see what that was all about. We still had about 30 minutes before he was to start so I went back to the food court and got dessert.

I’m a sucker for cheesecake. I’m also a sucker for chocolate sauce.

The waiter in the lounge came over and asked if we wanted drinks. I know I definitely ordered a Magical Star (a drink sent down from Heaven).

It didn’t last long.

Jordan got his go-to drink: Jack and Coke.

I decided to take this moment and be brave and speak up and tell Jordan how I was feeling. I had calmed down from earlier but it had been festering all afternoon and I knew if I didn’t say something I was just going to get more upset as the week went on.

I’m so glad I said something, even though I got teary. He is always so supportive of me when I decide to be brave and this was no different. We made a plan to be more verbal about things we wanted to do and that it was really important to compromise. He apologized for being so stubborn and disregarding my wants earlier and I promised I would speak up when something was really important to me. We ended the conversation on a really good note.

And just in time because Bob was about to start!

But first…let us take a selfie!

Jordan’s drink was feeling left out so the bartender sent over another light cube.

We were sitting in the squishy chairs more toward the lobby when Bob started and once we realized that this was something we would really enjoy, we were able to find two chairs at the bar.

If you’ve never seen YeeHaw Bob perform, he is absolutely wonderful. It’s a wonderfully classic Disney performance, you would expect mothing less from a Disney performer. He’s hysterical and it became obvious that he has quite the following and has repeat audience members (many people knew all his little quirks and jokes). He often involved the audience and I’m not shy to share that he called all the adult women up on stage to dance (Jordan video’d it and sent it to my mom!).

BTW, that is NOT my first public Disney performance! In 2011, during a Girl’s Only Disneyland trip with my mom, best friend, and good family friend, I was selected to sing with the Dapper Dans.

Basically I’m famous now.

Anyway, we were having an absolute blast with Bob. He is so talented and it was so much fun. I sent a video to my mom because I knew this was right up her alley and if I ever am able to drag her (and my dad) to WDW, YeeHaw Bob was high on the list of must-do’s.

We left a couple hours in (he performs from 8:30 until midnight, I think?) and walked back to our room. It had started to sprinkle and we should have known that was foreshadowing to the next day.

By the time we got back, we were exhausted and were looking forward to a late start the next morning and then spending the rest of the day at Epcot.

Up Next: Wetcot

Yeah, that sounds about right for SciFi. Also, you've got to basically stick to burgers or you'll probably be disappointed. But, the setting is so cool, you've got to experience it.

Discussions about communication with your significant other....nope, never done that. :rolleyes: Glad you guys talked it out and improved your relationship in that area. :thumbsup2

That breadstick looks burnt! :crazy2:

YeeHaa Bob is awesome! He's become a tradition for us...we've seen him on our last 3 trips, I believe.

I was really disappointed and was starting to feel like there wasn’t much compromise going on and I was getting frustrated. I have some anxiety issues and really struggle with sharing my feelings, I never want to hurt anybody else’s feelings. I’ve gotten significantly better at voicing how I feel, even though I tend to get very emotional. I really wanted to tell Jordan how I was feeling but I knew if I said something I would start crying and that wasn’t something I wanted to do in the middle of DHS.

This! Me too! I have gotten a lot better but I still struggle with trying to communicate and not crying. Especially when I feel like I'm going to hurt the other person's feelings because I would be hurt that they even had to say something; that I hadn't already thought of it myself and done something!

I also do angry tears which is not helpful when you are trying to have a rational conversation.

I'm so glad you said something when you felt you were ready and didn't let it go on too long! :thumbsup2

If you keep working on it, it will get better - I know!

OOOH! I love Yeehaw Bob, and I've never seen him yet!!! Just like I love Off Kilter! ;)

Off Kilter is wonderful! We were fortunate to see them briefly on our last Epcot day and it is truly a shame that Disney is replacing them! I think Disney would have a total riot on their hands if they decided to do away with YeeHaw Bob so I sincerely hope it never comes to that because Bob is amazing! You definitely need to go see him!!!

Yeah, that sounds about right for SciFi. Also, you've got to basically stick to burgers or you'll probably be disappointed. But, the setting is so cool, you've got to experience it.

Discussions about communication with your significant other....nope, never done that. :rolleyes: Glad you guys talked it out and improved your relationship in that area. :thumbsup2

That breadstick looks burnt! :crazy2:

YeeHaa Bob is awesome! He's become a tradition for us...we've seen him on our last 3 trips, I believe.

As I was rereading my last entry, I just said to Jordan, "I wouldn't mind not going back there" as I pointed to a picture of the SciFi sign. Oh well, now we know it isn't for us!

This! Me too! I have gotten a lot better but I still struggle with trying to communicate and not crying. Especially when I feel like I'm going to hurt the other person's feelings because I would be hurt that they even had to say something; that I hadn't already thought of it myself and done something!

I also do angry tears which is not helpful when you are trying to have a rational conversation.

I'm so glad you said something when you felt you were ready and didn't let it go on too long! :thumbsup2

If you keep working on it, it will get better - I know!

Are we twins? I swear, the similarities between us are starting to get a little weird!

Update coming shortly, everyone!!!

Hello everyone! Long time no see!

And I sincerely apologize for that! Life has been crazy (when is it NOT crazy?) but I am very happy to report thaaaaatttt…..

THIS GIRL HAS A NEW JOB!!!!

I am now working as a case manager for a nation-wide (well, across 13 states) non-profit that provides services for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Basically, I oversee three group homes and create behavioral and life skills programs for all the individuals in them. It is very different from what I was doing but after my last employer caused its employees so much grief (how’s laying off the entire staff?) I am very much welcoming the change and challenges that come with this new position. Plus, it is a BIG step up from what I was doing so that is always nice! There will always be a very special place in my heart for children with autism and I miss the kids I worked with a lot but sometimes change is necessary and in this case, while very abrupt, it was needed and has been a good thing!

Also, it is still over 100° here in beautiful central California so by the time I get home from work, I just want to collapse on my couch and watch TV. And sometimes I do.

And now on to the real reason you’re here…

Thursday, March 6 was to be our second Epcot day. We originally had reservations at Chefs de France for lunch and at Tokyo Dining for sushi in Japan for dinner. Sometime during the week (possibly the night before when we had our big financial discussion) we canceled our reservation at Chefs de France, so we didn’t have any big plans until early afternoon when our FP+ came up.

So what does that mean, boys and girls?

LAUNDRY TIME!!!!!

The night before we planned on leaving POR for Epcot around 11:00 so we couldn’t sleep in too much because we desperately needed to do laundry and we weren’t sure exactly how long that was going to take.

I woke up around 7:00ish and showered and got dressed before Jordan got up.

I had to pry him out of bed that morning

Once we were both ready, we decided to go snoop out a laundry room. It had been sprinkling the night before as we were walking back from YeeHaw Bob so it really shouldn’t have been a big surprise that the sky looked like it was about to unleash all its anger on us at any given moment.

But for the time being, it wasn’t raining so we took our bag of laundry and found the laundry room! We only had enough cash/quarters on us (or at least the proper denomination of cash – we weren’t overly interested in having $20 worth of quarters in our pockets for the rest of the trip) for the washing machine so we got that going and then I went to pick up breakfast in the food court while Jordan stayed in the laundry room guarding our laundry (probably not necessary whatsoever but oh well). While I got breakfast, I also was able to get change for the dryer.

On my way back to the laundry room with food and quarters, it began sprinkling and by the time I got to the laundry room, it was raining.

Great.

My hair was NOT happy.

We managed to finish breakfast and get laundry done in plenty of time before we were planning on leaving for Epcot so we ended up at the bus stop a little early.

Waiting ever so patiently in the dry laundry room

The bus didn’t take took long to arrive and fortunately it dropped us off close to the Epcot entrance. On the way over, the bus driver told everyone that she read that it was expected to pour the rest of the day so “Be prepared!”

Thanks.

We got into Epcot with no problems, other than already being soaked.

Somebody wasn’t interested in a poncho. Suit yourself.

Flower and Garden had officially started!

We didn’t have any immediate plans (all our FP+ were for later that day) so we headed over to the Land to ride Living with the Land, which was something I was interested in doing.

But first, we decided to stop and get a Mickey pretzel!

The Land was a busy place that rainy day

And now, we feast! Because clearly we were starving from our breakfast two hours before…

I enjoyed the little boat ride and I think Jordan did too, however the roof of our boat was dripping, as were the tunnels and greenhouses so we got a little wet.

I thought the ride was really cool and it was interesting to see things grown in so many different ways! Central California is a HUGE agricultural area and there are orchards and fields absolutely everywhere that are grown in traditional methods, so it was really interesting to see other ways that plants and food can be grown and alternative methods to pesticides.

After Living with the Land, we headed out of The Land Pavillion and headed kind of towards the World Showcase. I wanted to find the Butterfly Tent!

We found it.

They were really active that day, as you can tell.

We then entered the World Showcase and we came across a sand sculpture in the making!

I remember one time when I was really little, my family went to Sea World in San Diego (we lived there until I was 4) and they had some amazing sand sculptures so it always excites me to see artists sculpting the sand!

Think I can say “sand sculptures” (or a variation of) one more time?

It was raining pretty hard by that time so we took cover while we discussed our plan of action.

Bet you’re wishin’ you had a poncho now, huh buddy?

But where would we go next??????

Up next:

Congrats on the new job! And especially on the "Big step up" - I am sure you will do amazing and do amazing things for the adults you cover :goodvibes

Darn responsibility!!!! Glad it worked out though and your got your laundry done.

Rain is always tricky - I am definitely in the "prefer not to wear a poncho" camp - but there is often that point where you question that decision :rotfl:

Living with the Land is one of our favorite rides - just so neat and also feels like something you wouldn't see outside of Disney. Bummer about the leaky boat roof though

This is my kind of TR. It started several months ago, and I just found it, but I still made it before the end. :thumbsup2

I really enjoy the perspective of DL kid brings to the World. I have always wanted to visit DL (as well as go back to WDW next year...duh), but it just hasn't happened yet. So, it's cool to hear from somebody who has experience there.

Welcome to the club though! The "I've Been to Disney World Club" of course (still working on the name :rolleyes1)

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading more!

Congrats on the new job! And especially on the "Big step up" - I am sure you will do amazing and do amazing things for the adults you cover :goodvibes

Darn responsibility!!!! Glad it worked out though and your got your laundry done.

Rain is always tricky - I am definitely in the "prefer not to wear a poncho" camp - but there is often that point where you question that decision :rotfl:

Living with the Land is one of our favorite rides - just so neat and also feels like something you wouldn't see outside of Disney. Bummer about the leaky boat roof though

Thank you! The new job is going well! Granted I'm only two weeks in (first week on my own) but so far so good!

I mean, I would much rather NOT wear a poncho, however, I hate getting wet even more than I don't like wearing ponchos. It was pretty much a lose-lose situation that day though, we would have gotten soaked no matter how much protective gear we wore!

This is my kind of TR. It started several months ago, and I just found it, but I still made it before the end. :thumbsup2

I really enjoy the perspective of DL kid brings to the World. I have always wanted to visit DL (as well as go back to WDW next year...duh), but it just hasn't happened yet. So, it's cool to hear from somebody who has experience there.

Welcome to the club though! The "I've Been to Disney World Club" of course (still working on the name :rolleyes1)

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading more!

Welcome!! Disneyland is definitely somewhere WDW veterans should visit. It's truly a magical place but in a different way than WDW. I honestly don't know which one I prefer because both have their strong points. I'll gladly go to either one anytime!

Congratulations on the new job!!!

Epcot and rain, they seem to go hand in hand!

Thank you! I'm loving my new job so far! Maybe Epcot could send some of that rain over California's way?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter