• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To the Mothership!!! A WDW First-Timer's Trip Report! UPDATE 9/23

How fun that you got to ditch work and spend the day with your Mom at Disneyland!! I wish I could do that! I have a feeling that if I lived within a few hours of Disney I'd actually take all of my sick days for the year :)

*cough * cough * :rotfl2:

And I'm loving the food pics!! Keep them coming!

I think we are kindred souls. My family and especially Jordan think I am a total freak because I don't let my food touch. Buffets are hard for me because I want everything but require multiple plates and don't want to take more than one at a time for fear of looking like a complete pig. I always go back for more. Always. Thanksgiving is also hard for me. If it was really up to me, only mashed potatoes would be served, but it is not and I love it all but there is only so much room on a dinner plate!

ITA - within the first few posts, I was thinking, "She's just like me!"

And I had to have chicken nuggets for dinner last night thanks to you. I couldn't stop thinking about them....sooooo good. And the fries...mmmmmm. My DH was shocked and really excited when I suggested McDonald's last night. :rotfl: The disboards are good for something, right? :rolleyes:

I also am not a big salad person - I'm actually a very "selective" (read: picky) eater. Anything potato is my favorite!

So jealous about your DL visit!!

I'm enjoying following along and reading your trip report. It's getting me excited for my trip in November. Thank you for sharing!

It's been so long since I've been to DL! It's great that you had an amazing time with your mom, I hope I get to take mine one day.

Hi Erin!

I've enjoyed your TR so far. :thumbsup2 I like your comparisons to DL b/c I've never been so it's nice to know the similarities & differences to WDW. I didn't realize that DL served alcohol..I always thought it was a dry park but I suppose that's only the MK part.

I think that's awesome that your DBF suggested the WDW trip after you mentioned the detour to Orlando idea! He sounds like a keeper! ::yes::

Just curious, how long does it take from where you live in CA to DL?

I'm following your thread & look forward to your next segment!

Btw, Epcot happens to be my favorite park so I hope you thoroughly enjoy the rest of your time there! pixiedust:

Fun! My first trip to DL was FREEZING most of the week! It was in March and it was a bad week. Luckily for us, I had checked the weather forecast before going, so I was prepared, but I saw tons of people in little shorts and tank tops shopping for more clothing! (We actually wore our mittens sometimes!)

My summer trip was better though, I loved the heat. It does get cooler quickly though in the evenings.

I love DL. Looking at those pictures and reading about your fun day with your mom, I want to go back! Sheesh, I need to win the lottery so I can buy the permier annual pass.

I haven’t forgotten about you guys, I promise! Things have been CRAZY around here and are only getting crazier!

My goal is to finish our first Epcot day! So here we go!

So we last left off waiting for a bus back to Epcot because we had dinner reservations at the Yachtsman Steakhouse! WHO LOVES A REALLY AWESOME STEAK? WE DOOOOO!

We waited a while at the bus stop. Seemed to become typical of Epcot buses to and from Port Orleans Riverside.

Don’t we clean up nicely?

Once we actually got on the bus it didn’t take long to get back to Epcot.

On our way in, we used our FP+ for Spaceship Earth. I didn’t really know what to expect, I was just really excited that THERE WAS A RIDE IN THE BIG OL’ GOLF BALL!

We both really enjoyed it! Jordan especially loves history and it was cool, relaxing, and educational! Me being the nerd that I am, took pictures (sans flash of course).

We didn’t realize that the pictures they take of you at the beginning of the ride are actually USED at the end of the ride so we looked normal and cute and we decided that wouldn’t happen next time. And it certainly didn’t, don’t worry.

We had some time to kill before we needed to be at the Yacht Club so I snuck into MouseGear to see if they had the Mickey shoes I so desperately wanted.

And guess whaaaaatttt?

I changed shoes and we headed off towards the right side of the World Showcase. Jordan wanted a beer from England so while he took care of that, I mosey’d around the UK. There was an awesome Beatles cover band (the name slips my mind) playing and Jordan met up with me near where they were performing. We watched them for a while before heading toward the International Gateway and the Yacht Club.

Passed through Canada on the way

The UK!

They Beatles cover band was really fantastic!

We didn’t realize that Jordan needed to finish his monstrous beer before he could leave the park so we hung out in the store right near the entrance/exit while he chugged it. We talked with the CM in the store who was in the College Program. She was really nice and fun to talk to but didn’t seem to have many good things to say about the College Program.

And then we were off to the Yacht Club!

Can I just say that I would LOVE to swim in the Yacht/Beach Clubs’ pool? I mean, really, HOW COOL IS THAT SAND BOTTOM? And the slide. Don’t even get me started. HEAVEN!

The whole Yacht/Beach Club and Boardwalk area is really cool and beautiful! We never did make it over to the Boardwalk but we were intrigued by the Dueling Piano Bar across the lagoon! Next time!

We made it into the Yacht Club and to the Yachtsman and Jordan was in boy heaven. Steaks and meat and knives and boy stuff galore!

Isn’t my boy adorable?

For some reason Jordan felt the need to take a picture of my profile

I was simply excited for the twice baked potato.

We each ordered the same meal…the filet (?) with the twice baked potato and some sort of salad (salad isn’t really my thing so I’m honestly surprised I even ate it…).

Look at that twice baked potato. LOOK AT IT!

All in all dinner was excellent. Our waiter was great. The food was amazing. The steak cooked to perfection. The twice baked potato…incredible. If you can afford to splurge and love steak, I would highly recommend the Yachtsman Steakhouse!

One note about the dress code – the website clearly states that the dresscode is strictly enforced. This means no shorts or tshirts and men need to wear a collared shirt. Skirt, dresses or dress pants are recommended for women. Jeans are okay. However, when we were actually there, the dress code was clearly not enforced. There were several families around us who had obviously come straight from the park and were wearing tshirts and shorts. But there were also families who had definitely gotten cleaned up and looked very nice.

So after dinner, we walked back to Epcot. We debated taking the boat but it had JUST left and we didn’t feel like waiting (the CM we asked said it could take up to 45 minutes to return…is that right?!?). Jordan’s feet were beginning to ache after two straight days of walking so we took it slow.

When we got back into Epcot, we headed to…FRANCE!

Someone needed dessert and that someone was ME.

We walked back toward the Boulangerie Patisserie because I had heard THIS was the place to get dessert! And who am I to pass on amazing French pastries?

We briefly debated getting ice cream or continuing in to pastry heaven and after we saw someone walk out with the most delectable looking éclair that we needed to pass on the ice cream for now.

We walked in and I’m pretty sure that if I could live anywhere in Epcot, it would be in Boulangerie Patisserie. I’ll just make my bed out of éclairs.

I ended up getting chocolate mousse (because who doesn’t love whipped chocolate with fun little chocolate balls on top?) and Jordan got some coffee flavored mousse. Also with fun little chocolate balls on top.

We snagged a table right outside the building and totally enjoyed sitting in France, relaxing, people watching, and taking in the amazing atmosphere.

Can I go back right now?

Shortly before IllumiNations, we decided to head back to the bus stop. We had one more day at Epcot and decided to watch IllumiNations then. We were beat. While waiting for DECADES at the bus stop, we were able to hear the fireworks and even see some of the bigger ones on the bus ride back.

Over all a spectacular day at Epcot.

Up next: the most delicious pancakes in the history of pancakes!

Oh my gosh that steak! And the potaaaaatoe. (I need a drool smiley here)

We have eaten at the Captain's Grille but never the Steakhouse. I'll have to try it sometime. Actually, I feel that it should be my duty to go around and try the steaks (or beef) at all of the different restaurants around WDW and select the best. As a public service, of course. :thumbsup2

You definitely did good choosing that chocolate mousse. I had it last year and it was delicious. My sister and I ended up getting three desserts because we couldn't decide! And that was cutting ourselves off. We wanted to try more. I guess we'll just have to keep coming back. Oh darn.

Loved the upate!

Hi, I have just found your TR and am subbing!

Love your report so far. I have not been to Disneyland California, but I have been to Disneyland Paris several times (we have annual passes now too) and we are always comparing the two parks. It's impossible not to do.

Your Yachtsman Steakhouse meal looked amazing. I haven't been there before but it is definitely on my list.

I love your crocs! I am on my second pair and I will probably buy another pair on the next trip. :hyper:

Don't you love Boulangerie Patisserie? It is so good! I am glad you enjoyed it.

Oh man! Those mousses look so wonderful and yummy! I have heard good things about the chocolate. :lovestruc

Yay new Mickey crocs!:banana:

Oh my gosh that steak! And the potaaaaatoe. (I need a drool smiley here)

We have eaten at the Captain's Grille but never the Steakhouse. I'll have to try it sometime. Actually, I feel that it should be my duty to go around and try the steaks (or beef) at all of the different restaurants around WDW and select the best. As a public service, of course. :thumbsup2

You definitely did good choosing that chocolate mousse. I had it last year and it was delicious. My sister and I ended up getting three desserts because we couldn't decide! And that was cutting ourselves off. We wanted to try more. I guess we'll just have to keep coming back. Oh darn.

Loved the upate!

The number of restaurants at WDW is completely overwhelming and I want nothing more than to take it upon myself to eat at every single one. And then stuff my face with dessert in my downtime.

Hi, I have just found your TR and am subbing!

Love your report so far. I have not been to Disneyland California, but I have been to Disneyland Paris several times (we have annual passes now too) and we are always comparing the two parks. It's impossible not to do.

Your Yachtsman Steakhouse meal looked amazing. I haven't been there before but it is definitely on my list.

Yachtsman Steakhouse was really good! Jordan's one request was that we go to a steakhouse (once he found out there were several to choose from!) and we debated for a long time between Yachtsman and Le Cellier and ultimately decided Yachtsman and we don't regret that decision at all!

I love your crocs! I am on my second pair and I will probably buy another pair on the next trip. :hyper:

Don't you love Boulangerie Patisserie? It is so good! I am glad you enjoyed it.

I love those Crocs! I had a similar pair (sans Mickey, just tan canvas) that I got in Hawaii that I loved and wore for a long time and I love these just as much!

Oh man! Those mousses look so wonderful and yummy! I have heard good things about the chocolate. :lovestruc

Yay new Mickey crocs!:banana:

Those mousses. DELICIOUS. There is nothing quite as good as a properly made mousse. Except possibly a properly made tiramisu. And we got both at Epcot!

Update coming soon!

Day three dawned and we had a breakfast reservation so I didn’t have to make the trek all the way to the food court that morning!

Jordan was up earlier than normal and said he hadn’t slept well and wasn’t feeling 100% which was a big bummer. Our plan that day was to have breakfast at Boma at 9:00 and then make our way to Animal Kingdom mid morning, use our FP+ for the Safari, Dinosaur and Expedition Everest before heading back to our hotel mid to late afternoon.

Despite Jordan not feeling too well, we made it down to the bus stop with plenty of time to spare. The Animal Kingdom buses came quickly so we didn’t have to wait too long. We were going to take an AK bus and then transfer to a AKL bus when we got to the park since there isn’t a direct bus route.

OMG THAT IS A LONG BUS RIDE.

The transfer to an AKL bus was easy however figuring out which bus stop was for AKL took some time and I was worried we were going to be late for our reservation.

Poor Jordan, I was making him hike all over just to make our reservation on time. Fortunately we weren’t late and made it just in time.

First, Animal Kingdom Lodge is amazing.

Wow.

There really is nothing else quite like it. It reminds me a little of the Grand Californian Hotel at Disneyland but only because the lobby is so tall and ornately decorated.

I’m not sure it would be my first choice as a deluxe resort, simply because it is just so stinkin’ far away from everything except Animal Kingdom, but it is a truly unique resort and how amazing would it be to wake up to a GIRAFFE outside your window?!?

Second, I LOVE that all the country/ethnically themed restaurants have CM’s that are from that region. It truly makes the meal an experience rather than just another meal. Disney really does have a knack for details like that.

Anyway.

We arrived at Boma and Jordan sat on the benches as I checked us in. I was handed a buzzer and we didn’t wait long before we were seated.

Our waitress was great and convinced us to try the Jungle Juice and we each drank our weight of it. My god. I want some right now as I write this.

We both didn’t really know what to expect from this breakfast. Since it is an African restaurant, I didn’t know how the breakfast would be and I know that Jordan and I both really enjoy traditional breakfast foods (eggs, bacon, etc.). Boy, we weren’t disappointed. What a selection! Jordan loved the carved meats and I gorged myself on THE MOST DELICIOUS MINI PANCAKES EVER.

They had M&M’s in them. And they were mini pancakes. And they were so incredible. I’ve never had pancakes that were so good and I’ve had a lot of pancakes in my 24 years. I went back for seconds and thirds and wow. So good.

And the scrambled eggs. Holy guacamole. Amazing. I don’t know what they did but they were so good.

Man, now I want scrambled eggs.

Let’s see…if I leave right now and head to the airport, I could make it to WDW in time for breakfast at Boma tomorrow morning.

I stuffed myself with pancakes, eggs and Jungle Juice and I think Jordan’s stomach wasn’t feeling all that great because he asked if it was possible to reschedule our FP+ for the day for later times so he could possibly go take a nap.

We left the restaurant and went to a little alcove off of the lobby. I worked my magic on MDE and was able to rearrange our FP+ for later times. Jordan fell asleep on the bench we were sitting on and since we were tucked away from the main lobby, I let him sleep for almost an hour before I woke him to head back to the hotel. In the meantime, I went out to the savannah and poked around a little bit.

The only animals out at that time were pelicans. Boo. I wanted to see a giraffe! But that’s okay, it was fun to explore and take pictures and take my time and enjoy my surroundings.

When Jordan woke up, we headed to the bus stop. We decided that we would take the first theme park bus that arrived that didn’t have 1000 guests wanting to get on and that wasn’t going to the Magic Kingdom (because that was way out of our way). The bus we happened to get on was for DHS and we hadn’t been there yet so it was kind of an adventure to head that way, even if it was only to transfer to a POR bus.

However once we got to DHS, there were some issues with the POR bus. It involved switching drivers and switching buses and switching bus stops and eventually we got on a POR bus but it took a lot longer than we thought it would have.

We finally got back to our hotel around 11:15 and I went out to the pool to read for a bit while Jordan rested. He was already feeling better but we both wanted to make sure that he was as better as possible before our afternoon at AK (and he was so excited for AK, he loves animals!).

About 1:00 we headed back to the bus stop to go back to AK. We hadn’t eaten lunch due to being so overstuffed with mini pancakes so we decided to stop and get something to eat when we got to AK.

Up next: MORE mousse, and proof that I’m the biggest ride weenie ever

Oh no! That's too bad that Jordan wasn't feeling well.

Boma looks like a great spot! I might need to do breakfast there, now that I know that there are "American" items on the buffet too.

That was sweet of you to let Jordan sleep and then you got a chance to wander.

I have never done Boma for breakfast - only dinner and I love the dinner. Uh oh...looks like I've got to rethink some plans...

Oh no! That's too bad that Jordan wasn't feeling well.

Boma looks like a great spot! I might need to do breakfast there, now that I know that there are "American" items on the buffet too.

That was sweet of you to let Jordan sleep and then you got a chance to wander.

It's true, I'm quite the amazing girlfriend to let the boy sleep. Fortunately a little nap helped him perk right up!

Im just subscribing! This is such an entertaining TR!!!! Great Job!

Thanks and welcome!!!

I have never done Boma for breakfast - only dinner and I love the dinner. Uh oh...looks like I've got to rethink some plans...

Those pancakes. That juice. Those eggs. Oh gosh. Maybe I can join you...add me to your Boma reservation.

All right, boys and girls, finally an update.

Goodness, I’ve been so horrible with my updates.

It’s just that life gets in the way sometimes. And life right now is BUSY and stressful and crazy.

There have been some very big changes announced at work and I’ve decided to look for a new job (ugh) so while I’m still working full time, I’m looking for a new job, giving swimming lessons every afternoon and tutoring often for some extra moolah (I’m positive that isn’t even spelled right or close to being spelled right) and it is just so hot (the last month has been over 100 degrees 75% of the days) and by the time I get home I’m hot and tired and well, life gets in the way.

And obviously I’m just too busy and hot and tired to fix that incredible run-on sentence.

BUT I’M HERE NOW AND HERE IS MY LATEST UPDATE!!

We left off as we were just arriving to Animal Kingdom!

Tada!!!!!

Jordan had been so excited about Animal Kingdom and now that he was feeling better, he was PUMPED.

We waved our Magic Bands in front of the deely-doo and they turned green and we were IN.

And the first thing we came upon was….

Drumroll PLEASE…..

This black swan.

Exciting, huh?

But then…

AHHHHHH, THAT’S better!

We were both starving so our plan was to find food ASAP. However the animals straight ahead caught our attention and food was put on hold.

The mighty vulture. Or maybe it’s a condor? I don’t know but his head was creepy and bald. And his wings were HUGE.

The details are incredible.

*high pitched girly squeal* FLAMINGOS!!!!

We wandered to the left of the Tree and headed back on a secret hidden path that turned out not to be so secret and hidden because we came across other people watching these guys (who strangely remind me of my parents’ dog, Kevin…don’t judge me on my weird thoughts)

By this point, my stomach was growling loudly so we wandered back the way we came and what do you know? PIZZAFARI!

I didn’t even care that this restaurant was known for its mediocre counter service pizza.

And I REALLY didn’t care that this restaurant was known for its mediocre counter service pizza when I saw that they also served CHOCOLATE MOUSSE.

Guess who got chocolate mousse for lunch?

Hint: It’s me.

BTW, the chocolate mousse at Pizzafari is actually really good! Dare I even say it, but it rivals the chocolate mousse in Epcot at Boulangerie Patisserie.

Yep, I said it.

My boy 

Proof I do exist:

After we ate we wandered toward Dinoland as we had some time to kill before our Safari FP+ was up and I wanted to explore a little.

In Dinoland, we came across a little exhibit of an American Crocodile and we talked to the CM about it for quite a while. She was very informative and fun to talk to! She explained the difference between an crocodile and an alligator and told us that the American Crocodile has a very specific and small area where it lives, compared to the American Alligator.

Aren’t I impressing you with my knowledge here?

We wandered a little farther and then this beauty came into view.

We shall meet again later, Expedition Everest.

Our FP+ for the Safari was coming up soon and we decided we needed to head back that way. We walked back through Dinoland and toward Pizzafari (in hindsight, we definitely SHOULDN’T have…I had no clue we could have continued through Asia to get to Africa) when we were directed to the side of the walkway because of the parade.

Long story short, we couldn’t get through to Africa until the parade was completely over and put away so we hung out in Pizzafari for a while where it was cool and I snagged a frozen lemonade to snack on.

Proof the parade ruined our lives.
Not really, but it was annoying.

Finally on our way to Africa!

We made it!

This awesome band was playing and Jordan requested we stop and listen for a minute

Up next:

*continued in next post*

We made it up to the front of the line fairly quickly and then had to wait for quite a while. I’m not sure what was going on but there were quite a few safari vehicles that just drove through without loading any passengers on. Anyway, it wasn’t too long before we were ON OUR WAY TO SEE SIMBA!

Yay!

My camera was ready! I was gonna photograph ALL THE ANIMALS!

So, um, a lot of my pictures from the safari, um, well, they are really bad.

For example:

I don’t know what that is.

Look! Birds!

LOOK! HIPPO!

Nile Crocodiles!

Tree!

Every time I see a wildebeest, I think, “poor Mufasa” (because I see wildebeests so often in my everyday life)

So close! Jordan’s face is also really close.

And then the safari was over. What a cool ride! Unlike anything I’ve ever done before!

Except the safari ride at the San Diego Wild Animal Park.

So I take that back.

Almost like something I’ve done before!

We then headed out of Africa toward Asia because we had a date with the Yeti.

Apparently our date can wait.

It was like he was magnetized and the drums drew him in from far away.

I mean, really, who doesn’t need a hundred pictures of Everest?

The queue is incredible! So detailed. We could have spent an hour just taking it all in!

But then we saw…

I’m not a super brave roller coaster rider so my heart began pounding like crazy. I knew this ride went backwards and that made me a wee bit anxious.

Proof I survived and that Expedition Everest is the MOST AWESOME RIDE EVER.

Our last FP+ of the day was for Dinosaur. I was actually pretty excited about this ride however I honestly didn’t know much about it. And all in all, it wasn’t bad. Not quite Indiana Jones at Disneyland (whose track is exactly the same), but then again, what is?

And then this happened:

Yep. That’s me. FREAKING OUT. While everyone else, EVERYONE ELSE INCLUDING THE LITTLE BOY IN FRONT is like, meh.

Gosh, that picture. Makes me crack up still.

We both really wanted to ride Everest again so I checked the wait time on my numerous apps and it was only 15 minutes so we booked our booties over there and rode it twice more.

I guess I only have one picture?

Anyway, we headed back to the bus after that. We were getting hungry and tired at that point.

We decided to just eat at the food court at POR that night and so we each grabbed some food and found a quiet table in the corner and talked about our fun day!

Deep in discussion.

I also may have gotten dessert…

Up next: We ride with music royalty

Ooh! It looks like you had a wonderful time at AK! I love the Dinosaur picture! :rotfl: It reminds me of the time I rode it with my nephew and he looks like you, except he had been like that through the whole ride! (He, naturally, denies that!) But I jumped and ducked too, so it looks like both of us are petrified! :rotfl:

And I love the safari, and you know, I enjoy Pizzafari. I do. I need to eat there at least once a trip. Call my a sucker, but I love that CS cheese pizza!

I'll be arriving at POR on July 29th after a week at All Star Sports, so when I saw the pictures there again I got all excited!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter