To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Oh I guess there is one other thing, I'm not completely sold on the idea that the Alphafly are the right race shoes for me. Now that Madison is over, I'm going to work them into the rotation a bit more to get a better idea about them. I wonder if that played some small part in how things played out on Sunday as well.

I couldn't run in the Alphaflys because they completely ripped my ankles and the bottom of my feet. I hear that's a common complaint.

Anyway, while I know it's disappointing it didn't quite go as planned, congrats on an awesome race! And from a macro-view, it's really interesting reading your post-race analysis, especially how this new training stacked up.

I feel like it isn’t normal for the shoes to hit your ankles but I also have never run in special running shoes like those so I don’t know. I can’t imagine that helped though.

It's definitely not intended or normal for any shoe to hit your ankle like that. But I'd say it's not exclusive to the Alphafly for me. I have to wear quarter running socks because I have a tendency to do it in many types of shoes. I can't remember the last time it happened though. But in retrospect, it isn't surprising given the wideness of the outside of the Alphafly shoe.

Anyway, while I know it's disappointing it didn't quite go as planned, congrats on an awesome race! And from a macro-view, it's really interesting reading your post-race analysis, especially how this new training stacked up.

Thanks!

It's definitely not intended or normal for any shoe to hit your ankle like that. But I'd say it's not exclusive to the Alphafly for me. I have to wear quarter running socks because I have a tendency to do it in many types of shoes. I can't remember the last time it happened though. But in retrospect, it isn't surprising given the wideness of the outside of the Alphafly shoe.

Thanks!
Looking back at this training block, how would you rate your experience with the Canova training system compared to your experiences with Daniels, Hansons etc?

Looking back at this training block, how would you rate your experience with the Canova training system compared to your experiences with Daniels, Hansons etc?

Mostly answered that a few posts back:

Well let's start with other people first. I've had three people finish Canova inspired marathon plans thus far (you, @flav, and Griffin). All three met or exceeded my expectations based on how your training went and goals and such. So personally I was feeling pretty good about how others had performed on the plan, and was looking forward to my own matching performance.

It felt like the HRvPace relationship was less transient. I hit near peak HRvPace condition in late August (8/29) which came about 11 weeks prior to the race and 1 week prior to the start of the Specific phase. But Canova talked about this in either one of the papers I read or the presentation. While I hit peak aerobic conditioning, I wasn't prepared to actually race at that time. And I would agree with the assessment. If I go back and look at my comments during that period of time I felt like I was in a good place, but didn't feel like I actually had the endurance to maintain the pace. That was evident during the Canova 100 when I aimed to hold M Tempo for 100 min, and tapped out after 10 miles when I was slightly off pace (granted with GAP and T+D in mind I wasn't far off). But 3 weeks after that (and with 6 weeks to go) I ran the Canova 120 when I aimed to hold 97-98% M Tempo for 120 min, and essentially nailed it. Ran a 13.11 split in 1:34, and ran 7:14 pace for 16.6 miles. The HRvPace relationship went a little back and forth during this period of time, but for the most part it held for the remaining 11 weeks. When I look back at previous training plans, I was happy to hold that peak HRvPace relationship for far less time. So the fitness gained in Canova felt more long term. Not like a flash in the pan, but rather a new normal. Or for my Dragon Ball Super fans out there, instead of momentarily holding Ultra Instinct and getting a taste of it every now and then, I felt I had better mastered the technique and was holding it for much longer.

I was feeling good coming off the Canova 120, but there were a few warning signs that things were starting to trend in the wrong direction for the last few weeks. The 95% LRs were one example.

9/14/22 - 13 miles (1:36 hr) at 7:23 pace at 139 bpm and noted it felt comfortable despite running 90 min 85% the previous night.
10/7/22 - 14.5 miles (1:47 hr) at 7:23 pace at 139 bpm and had to work for it a little more despite doing a 60 min easy the previous night.
10/25/22 - 15 miles (1:51 hr) at 7:27 pace at 139 bpm and felt like I had to work more for it than the other two even with a day off the day prior.

I didn't like how I felt coming off the Canova Special Block on 10/16. But I also overran that by a little bit. The moderate pace bled faster a bit too much. When I came off that run it took a few extra days to feel normal again. So maybe that lingered through the final parts of the taper.

I felt way more poppy during the week of 10/31-11/6 than I did 11/7-11/13. So maybe dropped the training load a tad too much.

I've got some more Canova materials available to me now that I didn't have 31 weeks ago when I first wrote this training plan. So I want to go through that material and see how it differs from what I actually did. Maybe some tweaks here or there. Maybe blend the Hansons and Canova training plans together. Find pieces that I felt worked well. I liked the Canova progressions over time on the LRs. Going from long slow runs, and then midway through the training you drop back to shorter but faster long runs. I felt like that fit well with what I've seen work well for me in the past. I personally liked the flexibility having only 1-2 hard runs per week afforded me. While I rarely miss days on Hansons despite the 3 hard per week, it does become more difficult to manage when you have almost no flexibility. But conversely, you run hard on tired legs far less in the Canova plan. So there's a bit of a pro/con. And maybe I'd like to see more than one long sustained M Tempo (Canova 100) like in the Hansons plan (which has a long sustained M Tempo every week).

Things I liked about the Canova plan:

-All plans were three days per week, but Canova had less hard days per week. It allowed greater flexibility to move things around based on my life schedule and based on how I was feeling. If I was feeling good, I could do more. If I was recovering a little slower than desired, I could push things back.

-I enjoyed the progressive nature of the LRs. It was a nice blend of traditional and new school thoughts. So I did a 21.5 mile LR at a relatively easy pace (20% slower than M Tempo) and then pulled back to faster LRs at shorter durations (5-10% slower than M Tempo but limited to 90-120 min). Madison 2021 is a good example where I peaked at 2:09 hrs running in a single run while doing it at a relatively fast LR pace. Despite those arguable limits on the LR, I ran a 3:15 M.

-I felt like there was a good balance between the weight lifting and running in this training plan. I felt like doing only 2 days per week of weight lifting was something I could be consistent with on the weekends since I tend to have more time. I've done more weight lifting on weekdays, but then it really cuts into sleep and didn't end up being worthwhile big picture. So I feel like doing running and weight lifting on the weekends was a good balance.

-I enjoyed some of the new to me runs.

-I felt like I could feel the difference between the different phases of the Canova plan.

Things I felt like were lacking about the Canova plan versus past Hansons and Daniels experiences:

-While I'm not as good at them, I do feel like I missed the classic sustained M Tempo runs found in Hansons and Daniels. The Canova plan focuses quite a bit on over/under or M Tempo intervals. There is less of a focus on doing a 10 mile M Tempo, or doing a LR with a fast finish at M Tempo. I felt like those were fruitful training runs that I didn't have in this training plan.

-I felt like I did myself a disservice early in the training plan with a lack of true speedwork. Of the entire 30 week training plan, I had the 15s hill workouts at max effort, the 3 x 2.5 mile at HM Tempo 16 weeks prior, a Ladder workout with 36 min of sub-M Tempo work 15 weeks prior, a 48 min Progression 14 weeks prior, but by in large the majority of the work during the 30 week plan was at (maybe a hair faster) or slower than M Tempo. I felt like maybe I should have done more to push myself in those zones that really put the hurt on. The short burn vs the long burn. Now that's intentional on Canova's part. He wants the focus in the last 6-10 weeks to be on specificity. But the prior 20 weeks probably should have had a little more umph in the workouts.

-The circuit workouts (mixing running and HIIT) I'm not sure actually did anything. They were a bridge from the Intro phase and the focus on weight lifting + HIIT workouts, and then in the General phase where you're doing running and HIIT simultaneously. But I don't actually know that I found them to be fruitful. Of course aerobically coming out of the General and Fundamental phase I was hitting some pretty good marks, so I'm sure they played their role.

-The plan is long. So it'll take a special dedicated runner to actually pull off the entire plan from start to finish. It doesn't bother me, because I don't get mental burnout from running. And I didn't suffer a physical burnout like I did from the Lakefront 2016 training.

Ultimately it remains to be seen what I'll choose to do for the next marathon training plan. Like I said, I have access to a wealth of additional Canova literature that I didn't have prior to this plan thanks to a Strava friend. So I'd like to sit down and really dive deep into his philosophy to see what tweaks I can make. Most of what I used to write this Canova plan was from 2nd hand sources. The only first hand I had was the Valenica powerpoint. Now I have several first hand Canova materials to shuffle through.

-I know that I tend to start slower.
-I know early on in marathons and M Tempo training runs, the pace doesn't feel comfortable at the start.
-I know that as things progress my legs will open up and things will start to feel more normal.
I always hear your voice telling me that the pace will feel just enough on race day when I don't feel comfortable at the start of the race. The line about opening up as things progress reminds me that if I keep at it, soon enough it will feel natural instead of stop and be lazy.
Just signed up to get runner tracking! You ARE capable of great things, you've proven it in the last 30 weeks.

What's the polite thing to say to wish good luck? I assume it's not break a leg for a marathon? ;)
I can supply the Russian equivalent. Perhaps it's better for a marathon anyways.

"Not a bird, not a fish."

If anyone cares, the polite response to this is "To (a very hot place full of fire and brimstone and so forth) with it."
Marathons take a major toll on the body. Running a fast marathon relative to your fitness level takes a major toll on the body. Running a marathon when your body is fading hard and thus your running form is suffering can exact a very high toll. I wasn't willing to pay that price for a 3:15-3:20 finish. For a 3:05-3:14 finish, yes. I'll put myself through that. But not for a slower finish. I quickly accepted that reality and just set my body to cruise control
It's so interesting to me that something about the challenge is what it brings us back to it again and again. Perhaps more importantly, with experience comes knowing when to not punish ourselves in pursuit of the challenge.
Marathons are such a beast. Sometimes everything falls your way, but I'd say most times any minor issue will become a Sisyphean effort.
That's what is so fascinating about the distance. While having done it before certainly helped immensely, I felt like the 2020 marathon was much easier and faster than the 2019 marathon despite the substantially warmer weather in 2020. My "projected" actual finish time had I not been behind the course shortened point reflects this too.
Yea, you can do every training run, nearly ever have a training go bad, and things still may not line up on race day. Conversely, I've had training plans where there were a few hiccups (like a missed LR late in the plan), and the race still goes wonderfully well. You just don't know sometimes what your body wants to do that day.
I remember one race where I caught a cold right around the time of my final two long runs. I had to shift things around, even skip that scheduled last long run and even then the actual last long run was brutal. I kept repeating to trust my training because at that point I was worried about finishing. 2 weeks later race day came and the fears a couple of weeks earlier turned out to be very much unfounded.
I had much higher expectations for that race. And it put me in a really foul and depressing mood about it for some time.
I had the same response after my disappointing 2018 Giant Race. Fortunately, you made me relive it all over again and tell you about it. This helped expose some race mistakes I had been making at the half marathon distance that could have wrecked my hopes for the marathon. I'm not sure it's always the best improvement mantra, but a goal of finish without being swept probably helps me stay in a good place mentally during each race. And has often resulted in far better race results after it's all said and done. Perhaps it's because choosing a just finish it goal allows me to be in the moment during the race instead of beating myself up over what isn't happening.
Like I said earlier, it's from learned experience. We put in so so much work. So much dedication on a daily, weekly, monthly basis. A marathon is such a difficult event because you really can only do a few a year at near maximal effort. Conversely a 5k, you could realistically race every 8-12 days or so for a period of a few months. So a marathon really forces you to push all the chips on the table, and then see what happens. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. It's honestly what keeps me coming back. Because I know I can conquer the marathon one day, it just hasn't happened yet. But I'm still confident that I'll continue to put my best foot forward in pursuit of that goal.
Learned experience has helped me enjoy running so much more than I ever did before. I made a lot of mistakes in my few years of training. I only began to discover them when I stopped pretending that I was not a runner and accepted that I was actually a runner no matter how slow I am. This helped me learn so much from more experienced runners.

Great job dude. I wonder what would happen if you let go of the science and just went with intuition. Sometimes overthinking is the enemy.

Thanks! That’s a fair critique. Can you expand on it? Specifically what would you suggest I change between either training or race day?

Great insight up and down in your post @Sleepless Knight!
Thank you.
Great job dude. I wonder what would happen if you let go of the science and just went with intuition. Sometimes overthinking is the enemy.
There can be some truth to overthinking becoming a bad thing. Sometimes I find that I just need to get out of my own head. At the same time, I have found that evaluating and sometimes replaying bad runs or races helps me learn ways to improve and better enjoy the experience.

I am also interested in your thoughts about how to find balance everything out.

Okay, I'll play along... These are my running goals, past and present
  1. Sub-5 hour marathon!!! This is the overarching goal and would make me feel like a runner somehow. As I’ve said to you Billy I would retire from running the marathon distance for time if I could do that. I’d still noodle through the Disney Marathon for fun, but never stress about my marathon time after that. Current PR is 5:16:29 from 2018, the first race you gave me a plan for.
  2. Lose 5 lbs (almost there)
  3. Lose 10 lbs
  4. Lose 15 lbs (all these weight goals are in the service of speeding up my running)
  5. Sub 30 min 5k (done, a bunch of times now)
  6. Sub 1 hr 10k (done, but would like to do again)
  7. Sub 2:30 half (done, a bunch of times now)
  8. Sub 2:20 half (done, 2x)
  9. Sub 2:15 half
  10. Sub 2:10 half
  11. Sub 2:00 half (pie-in-the-sky but why not)
  12. Sub 1:40 10-miler (also a stretch)
  13. Win an age group prize in any race of any size (hitting that sweet new 50-54 age group in 2021! Still this may have to wait a while, we have a pretty strong local running community)
  14. Get a proof-of-time to get me in a B corral at a runDisney HM (A is just out of the question)
Just as a reminder of your amazing coaching skills... since I posted this less than 2 years ago, I have now achieved everything on this list with your help. Update on Item 14, where I said A corral was out of the question -- it was not out of the question and I was able to start in the A corral Princess Weekend 2021. I know my goals are a pretty low bar for many other runners out there, but I've achieved things that were impossible for me to imagine just a few years ago, thanks largely to you and the time and energy you take here. It means so much to me.

hitting that sweet new 50-54 age group in 2021
I know my goals are a pretty low bar for many other runners out there, but I've achieved things that were impossible for me to imagine just a few years ago, thanks largely to you and the time and energy you take here. It means so much to me.

Billy is truly amazing, I agree! But don't sell yourself short. I'm in the same age range and wouldn't even begin to dream about getting anywhere close to the goals you're hitting. Not just because of age, but because in the six years I've been running, I've let life get in the way of training far too often. I've chosen NOT to commit 100%.

Reading this is super inspirational, because I'm realizing that the ingredients are there. It's just making the choice to listen to what needs to be done and to commit to the hard work. As simple as that sounds, it's hard, but YOU DID IT! So so so proud and inspired by you @SheHulk !

Just as a reminder of your amazing coaching skills... since I posted this less than 2 years ago, I have now achieved everything on this list with your help. Update on Item 14, where I said A corral was out of the question -- it was not out of the question and I was able to start in the A corral Princess Weekend 2021. I know my goals are a pretty low bar for many other runners out there, but I've achieved things that were impossible for me to imagine just a few years ago, thanks largely to you and the time and energy you take here. It means so much to me.

79f1ce06-2e99-4a2f-90ea-0479f1f93cab_text.gif

Just got caught up on everything. Sorry to see that your race didn’t go to plan. While I’m sure it was disappointing, it’s good to see that you were able to adjust expectations and goals during the race. Definitely a sign of experience.

Hey @DopeyBadger, quick Q if you get a chance, I know you’ve commented on your favorite running books before but I can’t seem to find any of the posts. For someone looking to improve their times of half marathons and shorter, what book would you recommend? In my case my overall goal is a sub two hour half, generally run at a pace of 10-11 min per mile without that much of a focus on PRing, best half was 2:05 for the first half of Chicago a few years ago.

Hey @DopeyBadger, quick Q if you get a chance, I know you’ve commented on your favorite running books before but I can’t seem to find any of the posts. For someone looking to improve their times of half marathons and shorter, what book would you recommend? In my case my overall goal is a sub two hour half, generally run at a pace of 10-11 min per mile without that much of a focus on PRing, best half was 2:05 for the first half of Chicago a few years ago.

If your goal is HM and less, then my #1 recommendation that I've seen the most progress from by others and myself is the Daniels 5k/10k plan from his 3rd edition book (Daniels Running Formula).

If your current fitness is 2:05 HM, then the pacing my calculator suggests is:

Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 7.15.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 7.15.30 PM.png

The recommendation is 80% of training should be at 10:50 min/mile or slower. Your average pace each week should end up around 11:10 min/mile or so.

Here are some of my favorite scientifically based resources:

Hansons - Principles of pacing, training plan design, during marathon carbohydrate calculations (Hansons Marathon Method)
Stephen Seiler - Principles of balance in training plans (80% Easy and 20% Hard) (Seiler; and Fitzgerald - 80/20 Running)
Jack Daniels - Principles of maximum duration training per session, 5K training (Daniels Running Formula)
Arthur Lydiard - Principles of Specialization
Steve Magness - Principles of Adaptation and Principles of choosing what type of training is best for an individual (Science of Running)
Jeff Gaudette - Running technique (foot strike, breathing, shoulders, arms, eyesight), Principles of Aerobic and Anaerobic running and why warm-ups are important (runnersconnect.net; podcast)
Samuele Marcora - Psychobiological Model (motivation and perception of effort) (Countless scientific articles; or Fitzgerald - How Bad do you want it?)
Benjamin Rapoport - During marathon carbohydrate calculations (Rapoport)
Timothy Fairchild - Western Australian carbohydrate loading procedure for pre-running carb loading (Fairchild)
Hadd - Principles of choosing what type of training is best for an individual (Hadd's Approach to Distance Running)
Pete Magill - 5K training (Runners World)

Hansons Marathon Method - Luke Humphrey (very informative)
Advanced Marathoning - Pete Pfitzinger (good resource)
Daniel's Running Formula - Jack Daniels (favorite book)
Science of Running - Steve Magness (extremely dense and difficult to read at some times)
Racing Weight Cookbook - Matt Fitzgerald (amazing recipes)
Performance Nutrition for Runners - Matt Fitzgerald (meh, didn't really learn anything)

Marieb, E.N. The reproductive system. In: Human Anatomy and Physiology, E.N. Marieb. Menlo Park, CA: Benjamin/Cummings Science Publishing, 1998, pp. 1056- 1061.

Hawley JA, Schabort EJ, Noakes TD, Dennis SC. Carbohydrate-loading and exercise performance. An update. Sports Med. 1997 Aug;24(2):73-81. Review. PubMed PMID: 9291549.

James AP, Lorraine M, Cullen D, Goodman C, Dawson B, Palmer TN, Fournier PA. Muscle glycogen supercompensation: absence of a gender-related difference. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2001 Oct;85(6):533-8. PubMed PMID: 11718281.

Tarnopolsky MA, Zawada C, Richmond LB, Carter S, Shearer J, Graham T, Phillips SM. Gender differences in carbohydrate loading are related to energy intake. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2001 Jul;91(1):225-30. PubMed PMID: 11408434.

Sedlock DA. The latest on carbohydrate loading: a practical approach. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2008 Jul-Aug;7(4):209-13. doi: 10.1249/JSR.0b013e31817ef9cb. PubMed PMID: 18607222.

Goforth HW Jr, Laurent D, Prusaczyk WK, Schneider KE, Petersen KF, Shulman GI. Effects of depletion exercise and light training on muscle glycogen supercompensation in men. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Dec;285(6):E1304-11. Epub 2003 Aug 5. PubMed PMID: 12902321; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2995524.

Fairchild TJ, Fletcher S, Steele P, Goodman C, Dawson B, Fournier PA. Rapid carbohydrate loading after a short bout of near maximal-intensity exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002 Jun;34(6):980-6. PubMed PMID: 12048325.

Bussau VA, Fairchild TJ, Rao A, Steele P, Fournier PA. Carbohydrate loading in human muscle: an improved 1 day protocol. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2002 Jul;87(3):290-5. Epub 2002 May 28. PubMed PMID: 12111292.

Tarnopolsky, M.A., S.A. Atkinson, S.M. Phillips, and J.D. MacDougall. Carbohydrate loading and metabolism during exercise in men and women. J. Appl. Physiol. 78:1360Y1368, 1995.

Walker, J.L., J.F. Heigenhauser, E. Hultman, and L.L. Spriet. Dietary carbohydrate, muscle glycogen content, and endurance performance in well-trained women. J. Appl. Physiol. 88:2151Y2158, 2000.

Andrews, J.L., D.A. Sedlock, M.G. Flynn, et al. Carbohydrate loading and supplementation in endurance-trained women runners. J. Appl. Physiol. 95:584Y590, 2003.

Nicklas, B.J., A.C. Hackney, and R.L. Sharp. The menstrual cycle and exercise: performance, muscle glycogen, and substrate response. Int. J. Sports Med. 10:264Y269, 1989.

McLay, R.T., C.D. Thomson, S.M. Williams, and N.J. Rehrer. Carbohydrate loading and female endurance athletes: effect of
menstrual-cycle phase. Int. J. Sport Nutr. Exerc. Metab. 17:189Y205, 2007.

Paul, D.R., S.M. Mulroy, J.A. Horner, et al. Carbohydrate-loading during the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle: effects on muscle glycogen and exercise performance. Int. J. Sport Nutr. Exerc. Metab. 11:430Y441, 2001.

Rapoport BI. Metabolic factors limiting performance in marathon runners. PLoS Comput Biol. 2010 Oct 21;6(10):e1000960. doi: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000960. PubMed PMID: 20975938; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2958805.

Humphrey, L. [Hanson's Coaching Services]. (2013, Nov 23). Calculating Caloric Needs for Marathon- Updated 11/22/2013 . [Video File].

Jentjens RLPG, Wagenmakers AJM, Jeukendrup AE: Heat stress increases muscle glycogen use but reduces the oxidation of ingested carbohydrates during exercise. J Appl Physiol 2002, 92:1562–1572.

If your goal is HM and less, then my #1 recommendation that I've seen the most progress from by others and myself is the Daniels 5k/10k plan from his 3rd edition book (Daniels Running Formula).

If your current fitness is 2:05 HM, then the pacing my calculator suggests is:

View attachment 721532

View attachment 721531

The recommendation is 80% of training should be at 10:50 min/mile or slower. Your average pace each week should end up around 11:10 min/mile or so.

Here are some of my favorite scientifically based resources:

Hansons - Principles of pacing, training plan design, during marathon carbohydrate calculations (Hansons Marathon Method)
Stephen Seiler - Principles of balance in training plans (80% Easy and 20% Hard) (Seiler; and Fitzgerald - 80/20 Running)
Jack Daniels - Principles of maximum duration training per session, 5K training (Daniels Running Formula)
Arthur Lydiard - Principles of Specialization
Steve Magness - Principles of Adaptation and Principles of choosing what type of training is best for an individual (Science of Running)
Jeff Gaudette - Running technique (foot strike, breathing, shoulders, arms, eyesight), Principles of Aerobic and Anaerobic running and why warm-ups are important (runnersconnect.net; podcast)
Samuele Marcora - Psychobiological Model (motivation and perception of effort) (Countless scientific articles; or Fitzgerald - How Bad do you want it?)
Benjamin Rapoport - During marathon carbohydrate calculations (Rapoport)
Timothy Fairchild - Western Australian carbohydrate loading procedure for pre-running carb loading (Fairchild)
Hadd - Principles of choosing what type of training is best for an individual (Hadd's Approach to Distance Running)
Pete Magill - 5K training (Runners World)

Hansons Marathon Method - Luke Humphrey (very informative)
Advanced Marathoning - Pete Pfitzinger (good resource)
Daniel's Running Formula - Jack Daniels (favorite book)
Science of Running - Steve Magness (extremely dense and difficult to read at some times)
Racing Weight Cookbook - Matt Fitzgerald (amazing recipes)
Performance Nutrition for Runners - Matt Fitzgerald (meh, didn't really learn anything)

Marieb, E.N. The reproductive system. In: Human Anatomy and Physiology, E.N. Marieb. Menlo Park, CA: Benjamin/Cummings Science Publishing, 1998, pp. 1056- 1061.

Hawley JA, Schabort EJ, Noakes TD, Dennis SC. Carbohydrate-loading and exercise performance. An update. Sports Med. 1997 Aug;24(2):73-81. Review. PubMed PMID: 9291549.

James AP, Lorraine M, Cullen D, Goodman C, Dawson B, Palmer TN, Fournier PA. Muscle glycogen supercompensation: absence of a gender-related difference. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2001 Oct;85(6):533-8. PubMed PMID: 11718281.

Tarnopolsky MA, Zawada C, Richmond LB, Carter S, Shearer J, Graham T, Phillips SM. Gender differences in carbohydrate loading are related to energy intake. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2001 Jul;91(1):225-30. PubMed PMID: 11408434.

Sedlock DA. The latest on carbohydrate loading: a practical approach. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2008 Jul-Aug;7(4):209-13. doi: 10.1249/JSR.0b013e31817ef9cb. PubMed PMID: 18607222.

Goforth HW Jr, Laurent D, Prusaczyk WK, Schneider KE, Petersen KF, Shulman GI. Effects of depletion exercise and light training on muscle glycogen supercompensation in men. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Dec;285(6):E1304-11. Epub 2003 Aug 5. PubMed PMID: 12902321; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2995524.

Fairchild TJ, Fletcher S, Steele P, Goodman C, Dawson B, Fournier PA. Rapid carbohydrate loading after a short bout of near maximal-intensity exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002 Jun;34(6):980-6. PubMed PMID: 12048325.

Bussau VA, Fairchild TJ, Rao A, Steele P, Fournier PA. Carbohydrate loading in human muscle: an improved 1 day protocol. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2002 Jul;87(3):290-5. Epub 2002 May 28. PubMed PMID: 12111292.

Tarnopolsky, M.A., S.A. Atkinson, S.M. Phillips, and J.D. MacDougall. Carbohydrate loading and metabolism during exercise in men and women. J. Appl. Physiol. 78:1360Y1368, 1995.

Walker, J.L., J.F. Heigenhauser, E. Hultman, and L.L. Spriet. Dietary carbohydrate, muscle glycogen content, and endurance performance in well-trained women. J. Appl. Physiol. 88:2151Y2158, 2000.

Andrews, J.L., D.A. Sedlock, M.G. Flynn, et al. Carbohydrate loading and supplementation in endurance-trained women runners. J. Appl. Physiol. 95:584Y590, 2003.

Nicklas, B.J., A.C. Hackney, and R.L. Sharp. The menstrual cycle and exercise: performance, muscle glycogen, and substrate response. Int. J. Sports Med. 10:264Y269, 1989.

McLay, R.T., C.D. Thomson, S.M. Williams, and N.J. Rehrer. Carbohydrate loading and female endurance athletes: effect of
menstrual-cycle phase. Int. J. Sport Nutr. Exerc. Metab. 17:189Y205, 2007.

Paul, D.R., S.M. Mulroy, J.A. Horner, et al. Carbohydrate-loading during the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle: effects on muscle glycogen and exercise performance. Int. J. Sport Nutr. Exerc. Metab. 11:430Y441, 2001.

Rapoport BI. Metabolic factors limiting performance in marathon runners. PLoS Comput Biol. 2010 Oct 21;6(10):e1000960. doi: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000960. PubMed PMID: 20975938; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2958805.

Humphrey, L. [Hanson's Coaching Services]. (2013, Nov 23). Calculating Caloric Needs for Marathon- Updated 11/22/2013 . [Video File].

Jentjens RLPG, Wagenmakers AJM, Jeukendrup AE: Heat stress increases muscle glycogen use but reduces the oxidation of ingested carbohydrates during exercise. J Appl Physiol 2002, 92:1562–1572.
Thank you! Bookmarking all of this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter