To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Sounds like the posterior tibial tendon pain, be careful! I get it every once in awhile, but nothing bad... usually related to old shoes. Seems like your ankle liked the change in footwear, so hopefully that’s the solution!

Sounds about right to me. Gut instinct was old running shoes or old daytime shoes. So I just switched both out and hope it resolves.

Very very sorry for your family over Lucy.

Thanks.

I hope it's just a bunch of nothing when it comes to your ankle and leg!

Thanks!

I'm so sorry about Lucy. It's hard to see a family member (yes, pets are family) suffering so much.

Thanks.

Isn't it strange how the foundation of the house looks like it is so tiny and small and not the right size? Then walls start going up and framing happens inside and it doesn't seem so small anymore LOL!!!

So true! Although those windows caught be by surprise for sure. I thought there was 11 feet between them, but now 7 feet. It's fun to go everyday and see the progress.

My son has the same Flash t-shirt!

FUN!

I need to make a race prediction - but what is the distance? 13.1? "Mini Marathon" confuses me. Elevation chart showed 13.3?

Half-Marathon

I'm so sorry about Lucy - it's tough losing pets. We lost two of our boxers fairly young (4 and 6) - brain tumor and lymphoma, respectively. It sucks feeling like you didn't do enough for them, even though you know you did.

Thanks. It's been rough today, but she's in a better place now.

The house is looking good!

Thanks!

I hope your ankle calms down!

Here's to hoping!

Thanks. Lucy just turned 7 which for a small dog like her is quite young. We just feel so awful because we weren't able to help her/figure out the reason for her decline. Like we failed her.
You didn't fail her. You gave her a lot of love and a wonderful life for her period of time in this life. She knows that.

I'm so sorry about Lucy. That picture of you holding her broke my heart. You didn't fail her. Life, for dogs just like people, can't always be predictable and sometimes bodies are just only designed to go so long and sometimes no matter what you do, you can't change that. The important thing is that she had a life well-lived in which she got to play and enjoy and love and be loved. It's all any of us want or need.
My parents got a puppy in 1996. I'm the oldest and was serving a 2 year Mormon mission in Russia at the time. My next youngest sibling was still in high school. My youngest sibling (there are 5 of us total) was 9 years old. He lived a full life. He was notorious for licking the dinner pan clean if left on the kitchen table. It took him a few years to warm up to me since when I came home, I was to him the strange guy that acted like he knew everybody but was never around. And then I went back to college and would periodically show up every few months and vanish again. But a few years later he decided to sit himself on top of the suitcase so I couldn't pack when it came time for me to head back after a couple of weeks. His last few days were really hard on him. We could see how much pain he was in. But when it came time to say our goodbyes, he perked up long enough to let us know he loved and appreciated us. Lucy knows. And she's grateful for it. And if it's any consolation, I believe the afterlife applies to beloved pets as well.

Thanks. It's been rough today, but she's in a better place now.
A week after my parents put their dog down in 2012, I was in Disneyland. I went to get a photo with Pluto, perhaps thinking of my parents old dog. That time Pluto did something he's never done before or since. He gave me a big hug. I didn't say anything to him about having to put my parents dog down the week before. Beloved family pets know that we loved them for however long they got to spend with us.

Hope your ankle feels better. Dealing with a little hip abductor issues right now myself.

I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy. Once again our lives are paralleling. We had our dogs with my mom while moving and she also mentioned our little dog seemed sick. When we got her back, she was surprisingly thinner than expected (my mom spoils them). Anyways, she declined rapidly and I finally put her down Saturday. I actually think she was waiting for me to come get her before she would let go, which makes me so sad. She was also a rescue mutt from the shelter and based on her size and tenacity, I thought she'd live at least 15-17 years, not 11. She was just the best dog and I was a big mess putting her down. I took her to the beach on her last day and had to carry her the entire way and broke down when someone asked if she was ok. Anyways, big hugs to you guys.

You didn't fail her. You gave her a lot of love and a wonderful life for her period of time in this life. She knows that.

My parents got a puppy in 1996. I'm the oldest and was serving a 2 year Mormon mission in Russia at the time. My next youngest sibling was still in high school. My youngest sibling (there are 5 of us total) was 9 years old. He lived a full life. He was notorious for licking the dinner pan clean if left on the kitchen table. It took him a few years to warm up to me since when I came home, I was to him the strange guy that acted like he knew everybody but was never around. And then I went back to college and would periodically show up every few months and vanish again. But a few years later he decided to sit himself on top of the suitcase so I couldn't pack when it came time for me to head back after a couple of weeks. His last few days were really hard on him. We could see how much pain he was in. But when it came time to say our goodbyes, he perked up long enough to let us know he loved and appreciated us. Lucy knows. And she's grateful for it. And if it's any consolation, I believe the afterlife applies to beloved pets as well.

A week after my parents put their dog down in 2012, I was in Disneyland. I went to get a photo with Pluto, perhaps thinking of my parents old dog. That time Pluto did something he's never done before or since. He gave me a big hug. I didn't say anything to him about having to put my parents dog down the week before. Beloved family pets know that we loved them for however long they got to spend with us.

Thanks for everything.

Hope your ankle feels better. Dealing with a little hip abductor issues right now myself.

Thanks and hoping you feel better as well.

I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy. Once again our lives are paralleling. We had our dogs with my mom while moving and she also mentioned our little dog seemed sick. When we got her back, she was surprisingly thinner than expected (my mom spoils them). Anyways, she declined rapidly and I finally put her down Saturday. I actually think she was waiting for me to come get her before she would let go, which makes me so sad. She was also a rescue mutt from the shelter and based on her size and tenacity, I thought she'd live at least 15-17 years, not 11. She was just the best dog and I was a big mess putting her down. I took her to the beach on her last day and had to carry her the entire way and broke down when someone asked if she was ok. Anyways, big hugs to you guys.

I'm so sorry to hear this. :hug:

Honestly though, I feel like we should make a pact or something. The next time something big happens to one of us, the first person we have to tell is each other. It's crazy how parallel our lives are.

5 days until the Madison Mini Half Marathon!

Weather update!

Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 6.42.40 AM.png

8/9/18 - T+D of 121, 15% chance rain, 11% cloudy, 4mph wind
8/10/18 - T+D of 125, 15% chance rain, 27% cloudy, 1mph wind
8/11/18 - T+D of 125, 15% chance rain, 14% cloudy, 3mph wind
8/12/18 - T+D of 125, 19% chance rain, 47% cloudy, 1mph wind
8/13/18 - T+D of 127, 8% chance rain, 19% cloudy, 2mph wind
8/14/18 - T+D of 126, 9% chance rain, 49% cloudy, 2mph wind

Too bad the race isn't on Tuesday or beyond. Looks like we might finally seem some relief from the humidity.

I have experienced this as well. Our boxer was sick with lymphoma for the last 5 months of his life. Surprisingly, an easy combo of a steroid and chemo pill gave him those extra months. It was a miraculous turnaround, but I digress.

During that time, my DH was living and working in another city during the week and only coming home on weekends. DH was able to transfer to another job in late August and got to move home. Our boxer's lymphoma returned with a vengeance at the beginning of October. I also got pregnant with my oldest daughter that month. I'm pretty sure my dog was waiting for those things to happen before moving on.

Damn, it's been 5 years and I still miss that stupid *** dog. :sad1:

Anywayyyyyyy enough about dogs, my guess for the half.......1:27:49

I have experienced this as well. Our boxer was sick with lymphoma for the last 5 months of his life. Surprisingly, an easy combo of a steroid and chemo pill gave him those extra months. It was a miraculous turnaround, but I digress.

During that time, my DH was living and working in another city during the week and only coming home on weekends. DH was able to transfer to another job in late August and got to move home. Our boxer's lymphoma returned with a vengeance at the beginning of October. I also got pregnant with my oldest daughter that month. I'm pretty sure my dog was waiting for those things to happen before moving on.

Damn, it's been 5 years and I still miss that stupid *** dog. :sad1:

:sad1:

Runner math, where everything falls apart around 90-120 minutes. I think it has to do with trying to make minutes and hours 10-based. 1.5 hours gets rounded up to 100 minutes and 2 hours get rounded down to 100 minutes.

Sort of like when you see a standby wait time at Flights of Passage and see 150 minutes and think, "Oh, 1 hour and 50 minutes, that's not so bad" and then realize that it's actually 2 hours and 30 minutes!

Honestly though, I feel like we should make a pact or something. The next time something big happens to one of us, the first person we have to tell is each other. It's crazy how parallel our lives are.

Hopefully it'll be on a brighter note like a BQ! Doubt it on my side with my training time constraints. Also my last 3 runs were pretty bad. Probably from food poisoning on our way back from vacation (my husband threw up from the moment he got off the plane all the way to customs) and then putting my dog down the next day, so I'd barely eaten in 48 hours.

Good luck on your half!

Saw your Strava post and just wanted to come here to pass on condolences to you and the family. We have an old dog coming to the end of his life, not looking forward to the day when it comes.

And how long ago was that first Strava photo taken? Confused me for a second until I realised it was an old photo of BulkyBadger!

Hopefully it'll be on a brighter note like a BQ! Doubt it on my side with my training time constraints. Also my last 3 runs were pretty bad. Probably from food poisoning on our way back from vacation (my husband threw up from the moment he got off the plane all the way to customs) and then putting my dog down the next day, so I'd barely eaten in 48 hours.

Well, just root hard for a BQ for me in October and then you know it's a virtual guarantee you'll have yours soon after. I mean that's the way this seemingly works!

Good luck on your half!

Thanks!

Saw your Strava post and just wanted to come here to pass on condolences to you and the family. We have an old dog coming to the end of his life, not looking forward to the day when it comes.

I appreciate it. I offer you my deepest sympathy as you go through a similar time.

And how long ago was that first Strava photo taken? Confused me for a second until I realised it was an old photo of BulkyBadger!

IMG_0008.jpg

Not too long after we first got Lucy. I believe it was October 2011 (based on the jersey). Gigi was very confused by this picture yesterday. "I mean, it's you Dad, but it isn't."

4 days until the Madison Mini Half Marathon!

Weather update!

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 6.34.09 AM.png

8/9/18 - T+D of 121, 15% chance rain, 11% cloudy, 4mph wind
8/10/18 - T+D of 125, 15% chance rain, 27% cloudy, 1mph wind
8/11/18 - T+D of 125, 15% chance rain, 14% cloudy, 3mph wind
8/12/18 - T+D of 125, 19% chance rain, 47% cloudy, 1mph wind
8/13/18 - T+D of 127, 8% chance rain, 19% cloudy, 2mph wind
8/14/18 - T+D of 126, 9% chance rain, 49% cloudy, 2mph wind
8/15/18 - T+D of 127, 8% chance rain, 6% cloudy, 2mph wind

Alright, @sylkai it's the last day of the contest and this is your most recent forecast. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter