To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to cancel my trip for mid-Sept. My family is still going but refuses to get vaccinated. They live in a hot spot - rural area with one hospital that is already filled and the morgue is full. I've tried everything but can't convince them of how risky this is and can't talk any of them into getting vaccinated. I'm just hoping they can by some miracle stay healthy. And shame on the people spreading misinformation about the vaccines. They are costing people their lives and I just hope my family don't become victims.

We are going down 9/12. It’s just the Dw and I, both vaxxed, but I have horrible anxiety about this trip. We’ve been down 4 times since reopening (DVC points expiring) but this time feels different. The last trip was great, life was great! No mask outside, great weather and a feeling that we had turned the corner on the pandemic. However, this trip feels nothing like that. From what I have seen and read, none of the distancing precautions are being taken. Dining seems sketchy. I’m not really sure what to do or what to think. My wife is a PA and seems confident that we are safe. I have twin boys at home that are less than 2. They have yet to visit WDW and the thought of bringing something back that would harm them hurts my soul. Just looking for some advice. First time posting and new-ish to the site. Thanks!

We are going down 9/12. It’s just the Dw and I, both vaxxed, but I have horrible anxiety about this trip. We’ve been down 4 times since reopening (DVC points expiring) but this time feels different. The last trip was great, life was great! No mask outside, great weather and a feeling that we had turned the corner on the pandemic. However, this trip feels nothing like that. From what I have seen and read, none of the distancing precautions are being taken. Dining seems sketchy. I’m not really sure what to do or what to think. My wife is a PA and seems confident that we are safe. I have twin boys at home that are less than 2. They have yet to visit WDW and the thought of bringing something back that would harm them hurts my soul. Just looking for some advice. First time posting and new-ish to the site. Thanks!

Anxious times. I would not be going if we had anyone unvaccinated in our circle. I'm going knowing full well that it's likely at least one of us will get sick even taking precautions like masking all the time and skipping fireworks from Main St. We're all vaccinated adults but the studies coming out look like breakthroughs are a significant risk. There's still too much we don't know about long covid and kids and Disney World is going to entail a lot of exposure even when you are careful. Everyone's risk scale is different and these are just my personal thoughts on the issue. Honestly if we didn't have to spend our DVC points, I probably would have rescheduled.

Every one is different which is obvious in just reading a few pages. It's a hard decision.

I was in WDW when it shut down in March 2020. I was VERY anxiety ridden on that trip (which is funny because it was probably the safest it's been since that time, but what did we know). The night before our trip I asked my DH about if we should go. He was kinda floored at the suggestion. I agreed to go and we talked about compromises on the trip. We rented a car instead of taking the ME. We agreed no Rope Dropping (normally standard) and we'd abandon things if we (me) felt uncomfortable. I still can't say if I'm "glad we went" and I'm certain if one of us got sick I would have been very mad at myself. But that's me. We just canceled a Sept trip. At minimum, I'd talk about the kind of trip you expect to have and any modifications you'd make.

I would just make sure you've got a plan for you and the kids if one or both of you returns and tests positive. Probably better to quarantine upon return, but perhaps that's not feasible.

For us, now is not the time.
Vaccinated but just not confident WDW and Florida in general (don't get me started) is a healthy, safe place to be right now.

We were just at Disneyland right before they reinstated masks indoors. It was glorious. It was the Disney experience you want and remember.
I can't imagine masks inside or outside in that Florida heat.

My main indicator is that if you are stressing and wringing your hands, worrying and anxious about a vacation.....that's not vacation.
Spending money and time to try and not fear catching Covid is not for me. I'll wait.

IMO I would bring an Over the Counter Covid test with you and take it before you head home and then again a couple days after being home take another. I would also wear my mask around the kids when you return until you know you are in the clear.

Based on the wording of your post, I think you know what you want to do but haven’t ripped the bandaid off if that makes sense. And I understand. I’m a ball of anxiety. We went with DD8 (adults all vaxxed) mid May (fabulous) and July 4 (not as fabulous and comfortable in parks but did resort majority and were fine with that). DH and I were going to go end of September alone, but now Im worried about bringing something home to her (even though I know that can happen here while she is at school, or we bring it home from work). And then I don’t want to have to quarantine for days. And I don’t want to be stressed the whole time. So unless numbers plummet fast, we will not go. We are AP holders so it’s an easier decision since we aren’t eating any money. Just my 2 cents, but good luck with your decision!

I canceled my onsite stay at Coronado for the end of November= saved $1800 bucks moving to Disney Springs. Have AP (unused yet) did this mainly because staying on-site has lost it's luster.

We were at the outlet mall today. Must say most were masking. Even outdoors. I was worried once outside the bubble it would be different. Unfortunately the meanie in me came out and I let it out to a staff worker at the Adidas store. This is the only place that I noticed they ask people to wear masks on the door and inside half weren’t wearing them and then my daughter was not allowed to try on clothes because the dressing rooms were closed closed “due to Covid”. I then asked how come then are you letting people in without masks, yet my DD in her N95 can’t try clothes on. The lady just looked shell shocked at me and couldn’t answer that question.

For those that go now the Disney warehouse store had no lines and was not packed like normal. What was sad they had tons of cruise line stuff for all the canceled cruises for 2020 etc. So those that are coming head out there and I won’t be a pact chaos like it usually is

Last edited:
We scheduled a quick trip for Sept 10-12 that I've just canceled. We just felt like we'd kick ourselves if we came back and got ill (we're vaccinated but obviously that's not complete protection). We've only dined indoors twice since March 2020 (when we happened to be a WDW when they announced their closure). We're not ready to take that kind of risk. In October, we've got several things (locally) that may put us out of our comfort zone if numbers don't being to subside but those are much smaller time and money commitments if we pull the plug.

We have a late Feb WDW trip planned and hope for everyone's sake that this go/no-go thread is covered in dust by then! (We'll also have rec'd our 3rd covid shot by then)
To the bolded: our chief medical officer today said that maybe/hopefully in eight months we will be at a point where we as a province are dealing with small, containable outbreaks, rather than waves. Yikes! Eight months? That was really depressing. So I won’t count on this thread being covered in dust by February. Not a happy thought. I had hoped the same as you. With each passing day, I grow more discouraged. We just cancelled November. Our February trip is pretty much cancelled too.

I had Pfizer and I want a J&J for my booster. If it makes you feel any better....

I had J&J, and I'd love to hear why you would choose it as your booster. It has been hard to find any news about J&J other than the fact that we're being asked to wait for news on a booster.

We were at the outlet mall today. Must say most were masking. Even outdoors. I was worried once outside the bubble it would be different. Unfortunately the Karen and me came out and I let it out to a staff worker at the Adidas store. This is the only place that I noticed they ask people to wear masks on the door and inside half weren’t wearing them and then my daughter was not allowed to try on clothes because the dressing rooms were closed closed “due to Covid”. I then asked how come then are you letting people in without masks, yet my DD in her N95 can’t try clothes on. The lady just looked shell shocked at me and couldn’t answer that question.

For those that go now the Disney warehouse store had no lines and was not packed like normal. What was sad they had tons of cruise line stuff for all the canceled cruises for 2020 etc. So those that are coming head out there and I won’t be a pact chaos like it usually is

Please don't use someone's name as a descriptive term. It's their identifier among so many other things. It's not a polite way to describe anyone's behavior.

Well, with the changing information on longevity of vaccine effectiveness, ( I had my vaccine in the earliest wave for medical staff) I probably need a booster. I won't feel comfortable going until I have had that booster. A lot depends how late your vaccination second shot was.

To the bolded: our chief medical officer today said that maybe/hopefully in eight months we will be at a point where we as a province are dealing with small, containable outbreaks, rather than waves. Yikes! Eight months? That was really depressing. So I won’t count on this thread being covered in dust by February. Not a happy thought. I had hoped the same as you. With each passing day, I grow more discouraged. We just cancelled November. Our February trip is pretty much cancelled too.

I feel like with the holidays in Nov and Dec, that things will not likely be back down to the lowest levels in Feb (our next trip too) like earlier this summer. I want to be optimistic but I also know what happened last year. So I'm trying to be optimistic and realistic at the same time.

I'm going to try to pause my WDW over-analyzing (since it doesn't make a difference) and focus on activities (live theater and a few outdoor concerts) that we have in October. Venues will require vax or covid neg test results and I have to decide how I feel (indoor live theater will require masks too). I realized I either have to accept the risks (and potentially rule breaking patrons) or stay home. Same for WDW.

I'm cancelling the December trip I've been planning for months now with my daughter. With this variant and not knowing if her age group could be vaccinated yet, I just don't want to take a risk. I think I'll reschedule for May and hope that it won't need to be pushed further out again.

So far, we are keeping our late September thru early October trip. It’s a trip we’ve had somewhat planned for the past 5 years, and booked as soon as we were able.

We are two empty nesters, fully vaccinated and drive down. If we were flying, or if we had unvaccinated kids at home, we would most definitely be canceling. We’ve got Hawaii planned in December and I’m ready to pull the plug on it now and reschedule….that’s the trip that is keeping me up at night. I’m always the one who ALWAYS gets sick on a plane and we won’t be eligible for boosters until after we get back.

We’ve been to Disney a few times since it’s reopened so masking indoors (and outdoors) is not an issue since we do it at home anyways….it’s also hot and humid here so we’re used to it. I highly doubt we do any indoor theatre type attractions unless we catch it empty, though. The “fill in all available space” freaks me out, in all honesty. I guess if we’re moving in a line, but sitting in a theatre, nope….not gonna happen.

Since we’re AP holders and have a room only reservation, our final FINAL decision won’t be made until a week out….so I’m sure we’ll change our mind several times between now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter