To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
All international airports offer testing in some form ( either on site or through a third-party provider near the airport) . Often a requirement for country of destination.

Disneyland Paris also has test facilities on site before the entrance. If you’re not vaccinated You need to be tested before entering the park
I figured that had to be the case for airports.

I just cancelled. I was speaking with my Disney friends and we were discussing our trips. I'm the last holdout to cancel so everyone is not clamoring to travel to Florida right now as was mentioned in a previous post.

It sounds like the people who are planning to go are prepared to protect themselves and others as best they can. I wish them a wonderful trip!

My husband and I are on the fence about taking a quick trip in September. I have never seen Happily Ever After in person, and am desperate to do so before it ends. He and I are both vaccinated, however our kids are not. They would stay with grandma while we're gone, but I am concerned with bringing it home to them.
That’s kind of us too, DH and I were going to go end of Sept for Food and Wine and to do Galaxy’s Edge. But we are concerned about bringing something home to DD8 or having to quarantine with jobs and school. We are going to wait and see still

We just cancelled our September 12-17 trip. We are vaccinated out-of-state APs and still have reservations for November and January. Florida is just out of control and even with Disney masking, social distancing seems to be long forgotten. Airfare on United from Chicago is currently half of what is was a couple of months ago when we booked so I would speculate many others are also cancelling flights to Orlando.

Has anyone been struggling with anxiety around going/not going? Even though I know logically my friends and I are fully prepared (masks, sanitizer, wipes, rapid covid tests) it just is hard to shake the worry. I would just reschedule, but the tickets are comps that expire at the end of September. I guess I'm just curious how other people have come to a decision/to read recent experiences. We are 3 fully vaccinated people in our 20s, no major health issues.

In short, yes, I'm anxious about it.

Here's how I'm thinking about it (but don't take my advice, I'm not a physician!)

We've spent so long thinking about Covid as a life or death struggle. A mistake or problem, and we could end up dead.

But I think for us vaccinated people, it looks like that has changed. As a vaccinated person, realistically, it seems unlikely that I'm in mortal danger. I could die from Covid even as a vaccinated person, but as a healthy middle-ager, it seems unlikely.

Maybe we vaccinated people need to think about it a bit differently. Perhaps it's not a life or death thing (probably) but that doesn't mean it's an easy choice, either

I absolutely do not believe that Covid is "like the flu" but it might be sort of close to true for a vaccinated person. But even with that mindset switch, we shouldn't underestimate things.

I was on a business trip a couple of years ago and got hit *hard* by the flu. It was miserable. As my mom used to say, "I felt like death warmed over." I was absolutely miserable and it took me a couple of weeks to get back to normal. The worst days were in the top 5 or so worst sickness days I can remember in my 50+ years of life. I can't tell you how much I hated those days being sick.

I didn't die. I wasn't hospitalized. It probably qualified as "mild to moderate" symptoms on the "is he going to die?" scale.

But would I go to Disney World if I knew that this non-mortal flu was rampaging out of control in Florida?

I'm not sure, but probably not.

So it's not only about life and death (for the vaccinated), but also about the likelihood of being wrung out sick while on vacation, stuck in a hotel room with a fever of 102 and absolutely miserable, far from home and my own doctor.

I'm at the point where I assume that now or later, I'll end up getting Covid, and that it might very well suck terribly, but that I'll probably be OK in the end.

I'm just not sure I want to rush into a place where that happening on vacation seems just a bit too likely. So I'll keep my eyes on the numbers and the latest Covid updates and see what it looks like come trip time.

We don't have a trip scheduled until Feb 2022. We DO have a Florida panhandle trip planned in October that we plan to keep. Of course, 2 months from now is eons in "covid months", so obviously things could change. Hopefully the change will be for the better, but time will show that. (That trip will not put us in large crowds as it's just a beach/condo trip, so avoiding crowds will not be difficult and we will be driving our own car.)

We are vaccinated. IF things were the same as now, or (please no) worse, I think the thing that might influence my decision is how the local healthcare/hospitals are managing. If someone in the traveling party got sick or injured, would the situation make those services delayed or compromised? I know this sounds melodramatic, it probably is. I'm just throwing out there something that may be a consideration.

Me, my husband and my sister and her husband are going down the week of Sept 11th. We're all vaccinated and in our late 40's. No issues with immune systems or anything, no unvaccinated or medically fragile people in our homes. I'm a fatty but I'm working on it (16lbs down since I started dieting three weeks ago :cheer2:) but otherwise we're in ok health. Our trip is on DVC points. If we cancel we lose points. Thousands down the drain. Our 13 year old is already going to school (vaccinated and masked) though he's in home quarantine for being a 'close contact' right now so I feel like we're already partly exposed.

When we planned the trip things were looking so much better. It's absolutely frustrating and disheartening to be in this situation again. As of now the plan is to go, mask up everywhere unless there is no one around us and minimize our time in crowds. I've already told them I'm not watching the fireworks from the hub but we're staying at the Poly and I find that view pretty pleasant (particularly with a pineapple full of rum on hand). We'll exercise caution but I am prepared for the possibility we may get sick. I will be taking rapid test kits and a stocked 'medicine bag' with me like I always do but probably with a few extra things tossed in for this trip. Worse comes to worse and one of us gets sick we can always drive seven hours back home.

I’m quoting posts that are a couple weeks old, but still relevant, I think.

stupid question, aren't antigen hometests available at walgreens etc?? not PCR accurate but if you have symptoms very well.. they only really have a high false pos vs. neg.. Here in germany you can buy then at every grocer/drug store.. At first they were running 5 euros each. now you find for 1 euro.

I saw one of those at CVS for $35!

Also, if you catch something there and need medical care once you return home, how full are the ICU beds/hospitals at home? We went from what our city/county considers stage 3 to 4 and 5 any day now within a 1.5 weeks. Right before we left home, it started moving up. Now, we are down to 10s of ICU beds, maybe less now, in the entire city.

Our ICUs have been full for a few weeks. The local news said they’ve sent some people 600 miles (yes, six hundred miles) away to get them a bed.

For people taking short trips, they probably won't be symptomatic before they get home, even if they catch it at Disney. But I'm worried because I take longer trips. What is someone supposed to do if they catch Covid? Can't fly home. Where are you supposed to live for at least 10 days? How would you get food? How would you get medical treatment if required.?
I asked these questions before and never found an answer.

For people taking short trips, they probably won't be symptomatic before they get home, even if they catch it at Disney. But I'm worried because I take longer trips. What is someone supposed to do if they catch Covid? Can't fly home. Where are you supposed to live for at least 10 days? How would you get food? How would you get medical treatment if required.?
I asked these questions before and never found an answer.
Those are all the questions I asked myself and realized this trip was not one I could take due to the answers to those questions.

We would need to find a place to stay for 10 nights so that's a lot of money. Would need to arrange for food to be brought to us for those 10 days as we couldn't leave the room if one of us was positive. What would my daughter do stuck in a hotel room for 10 additional days? We would need to pay for new flights for both of us to get home which even if I could move our original flights would probably cost more.

Bottom line for us is that this was not the time to travel for many reasons including the answers to the very good questions you asked.

This has not been an easy decision but as of right now we plan to keep our scheduled trip for mid-September. Will be my Husband and I (both vaccinated) and our 2.5 year old son (obviously not vaccinated). We've gone through every emotion planning for this trip - pure excitement in early June when we booked (following 3 cancelled trips last year) to pure anxiousness the last few weeks.

Ultimately, we have come to terms that this won't be a "normal" trip. We are renting a car and plan to drive to the parks instead of using Disney transportation. Staying at BLT so at least we can walk to MK. Still, we don't plan to spend much time at the parks. We are fortunate that our son doesn't know any different so we are going to pick and choose what we ride based on wait times, crowds...etc. We also cancelled all of our ADRs and will opt for QS options outside or dining in our room.

We always planned to mask up indoors or around crowds so that isn't an issue for us. We also both have the option to work from home so we plan to leave enough room on the backside of our trip to "quarantine" and will get tested, regardless of symptoms, before heading back into the world.

There is no perfect senerio right now. Everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter