• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
just rented a car for 8/30 to 9/5. Alamo - midsize - $325. People must really be canceling, the price before was over $500
WOW! I was just looking to modify ours before we ended up canceling and for a 5 day rental with different pick up/drop off was over $800! That's great news for those still going.

just learned many August conventions are cancelling too in Florida. About 50 million worth of convention revenue. So its not just a health issue.

Not for FL, but apparently AutoCad University will be online only this year, in October. They have been doing it in Vegas, and it's huge; my DH has gone probably 15 times out of the last 25 years.

Anyone been reading recent TripAdvisor reviews for WDW visits? They are BRUTAL.

I take w/ a gain of salt though because I think 90% of the people that do review there do so because they want to complain

While I would normally agree about the bad review selection bias I'm not sure I do with this. They are BRUTAL but they don't seem unreasonable or outlandish as the complaining reviews often do. Not good news for Disney, for sure. I hope they're taking them seriously.

We currently have a Christmas week trip planned. Wife and I on property, both vaccinated. 2 adult daughters and boyfriends staying off site, but also vaccinated. We are all keep a very close eye on this. We have until mid-November to cancel, so hopefully things improve by then.

Also, even though we are all vaccinated, it was back in March. By December I feel like we should probably have booster shots, so that's concerning as well. We are still planning as if we are going, but it's all up in the air right now.

While I would normally agree about the bad review selection bias I'm not sure I do with this. They are BRUTAL but they don't seem unreasonable or outlandish as the complaining reviews often do. Not good news for Disney, for sure. I hope they're taking them seriously.

Agree. Many of them mention capacity and SD. It sounds like WDW has no interest in rolling back capacity and/or reinstating SD rules.

I'm in a similar situation...after waiting patiently for a year and a half i am now rethinking my October 20 to December 15th trip. I just don't know if it will be worth it...of course i'm alot older than man of you so for us it's a wait and see.

I just have KN95s (one of the FDA approved brands), which I know aren’t anywhere near a fit tested N95, but I figure the KN95 gives some extra protection in addition to being vaccinated. I’ve started wearing them instead of cloth masks ever since Delta has become more prevalent. I try to at least do the breathing tests to make sure it fit as well as I can get it to!

If it makes you feel any better, I am a paramedic and was having an allergic reaction to the n95s we had. I wore a kn95 on the back of the ambo with so so many covid patients and did not get it (atleast not til December and not due to that). Being in a small box with positive very sick covid patients, including intubation them, I would swear on kn95s. Just my experience, but I hope it makes you feel better.

We are going the same time...two adults, vaccinated. We are keeping our trip. We will try to control what we can control. I am hoping there will be a lot less people too as a lot of the country will have their kids back in school that week.

My daughter and I will be there the week after for the GKTW event. I'm thinking of renting a car also, minimizing indoor dining and attractions, and wearing the mask in crowded areas. If things are still bad down there, I'll sit by the pool with a cocktail or play golf a couple days. I don't think I'll be doing any of the DIS/GKTW indoor events even though I paid already ..no big deal.

Supposed to be going to Disney World last weekend of August to attend a convention for work at the Coronado Springs Resort. I am a bit surprised they haven't canceled it yet or tried to postpone it. We did just get an email today telling us that masks would be required at all times during the convention because of the indoor mask requirement on Disney World property. I have a 3 day hopper pass that is supposed to expire at the end of the month that was carried over from last year's canceled convention (purchased before covid shut everything down). Going to have to make a decision in the next week or so if it is worth going.

Also have a trip at the end of September for my daughters belated 21st birthday celebration. We had a trip planned last September for her 21st birthday and we pushed everything to September of this year. There are about 12 people scheduled to go on this trip. A few months ago we were really hopefully on this trip and looking forward to it. Now it is really starting to cause anxiety just thinking about the trip and making the decision to go or not. I think the timeshare we booked is not refundable so we would be out that money. Really hoping that things start to take a turn in 4-5 weeks.

My daughter and I will be there the week after for the GKTW event. I'm thinking of renting a car also, minimizing indoor dining and attractions, and wearing the mask in crowded areas. If things are still bad down there, I'll sit by the pool with a cocktail or play golf a couple days. I don't think I'll be doing any of the DIS/GKTW indoor events even though I paid already ..no big deal.

I'll be using Disney transportation which supposedly requires masks. I am with you....even if outdoors in crowded spaces, I'll wear a mask. I hope you both have a super vacation!

I looked briefly at DCL but since they're only doing 3 and 4 day sailings, we didn't look much further.

NCL just won an injunction to prove vaccination status in FL, so they will sail 100% vaccinated for the time being. I think that if that holds we will see the other cruise lines follow suit. Likely too short of notice for our cruise, but good news for cruising, IMO!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-233800189.html
I have to say I woke up very at peace this morning. We definitely made the right call for us.

Wow okay...I didn't know that about NCL. We LOVE cruising and I miss it. I am hoping it all works out for our trip to Disney. We have sooooo been looking forward to this after 3 previous cancellations! Fingers crossed all goes okay.

Supposed to be going to Disney World last weekend of August to attend a convention for work at the Coronado Springs Resort. I am a bit surprised they haven't canceled it yet or tried to postpone it. We did just get an email today telling us that masks would be required at all times during the convention because of the indoor mask requirement on Disney World property. I have a 3 day hopper pass that is supposed to expire at the end of the month that was carried over from last year's canceled convention (purchased before covid shut everything down). Going to have to make a decision in the next week or so if it is worth going.
I was supposed to be presenting at a work trip in TX this week, and a week ago, we were told that we'd all need to be masked at all times, and then 5 days ago they canceled the conference outright. My kids are happy I'm around this week; I'm fine with it too.

Also have a trip at the end of September for my daughters belated 21st birthday celebration. We had a trip planned last September for her 21st birthday and we pushed everything to September of this year. There are about 12 people scheduled to go on this trip. A few months ago we were really hopefully on this trip and looking forward to it. Now it is really starting to cause anxiety just thinking about the trip and making the decision to go or not. I think the timeshare we booked is not refundable so we would be out that money. Really hoping that things start to take a turn in 4-5 weeks.

I feel your pain. My DD1 has been begging since she was 5 to celebrate her actual birthday at WDW (early September), but because of school schedules, we marked 2020 on the calendar ... Well, we all know how that went. So this summer was supposed to be her 10th birthday, AT WDW, .... and now I am watching the ## and taking it day by day. DH and I are fully vaxed; our kids are under 12. The one consolation? Rationalization? is that FL's ## were similar back around Xmas and we went then, when DH was only 1 shot in and I wasn't vaxed at all. Of course, it's a different variant now, and no/less distancing. Which is why I'm not sure if that's a consolation or just a rationalization. (Rationalization or consolation: crowd levels are usually really low in late August/September, so it may actually be as (un)crowded as it was in December.)

We are scheduled for last week of October and I think at this point we are still planning on going. Hoping this is Florida’s peak and it will die down by then.

I went last year 3x with the masks, missed the short time without the masks and have plans to be back for Halloween this year at Ft. Wilderness. Won't be cancelling, even if I sit outside my camper and enjoy the decorations.

Ugh we were so excited to go then comes Delta :worried: !!!!! We are going to talk tonight about postponing until May 2022, so not totally sure what we will end up doing. Even though we are vaccinated there is the comfort level that I am dealing with. If we go I will pack OTC covid testing kits incase anyone of us at any point feels sick. This way you can do in the comfort of your hotel room instead of trying to find a testing site :sick:

Reminder:

Posts with Covid statistics are not allowed. Thread has been cleaned of these.

Warnings and points will be awarded to those debating/stating Covid cases in FL or elsewhere.

Keep this thread to Disney discussion or we will be forced to close the thread and there are many who are finding the discussion here helpful when it stays on topic.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation...after waiting patiently for a year and a half i am now rethinking my October 20 to December 15th trip. I just don't know if it will be worth it...of course i'm alot older than man of you so for us it's a wait and see.
Holy moly! What a trip!

Taking the chance for my DH and I is one thing but taking children who have not been given the vaccine is another thing. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't take them right now but that is a decision you would have to make. We are in our 60's and have been fully vaccinated but my adult children don't want us to go and take chances. I have always worn my mask, sanitized, washed my hands and distanced as much as I can so I see no reason to differently
Yes that is what is complicating the math in my head. Orlando's true population ( those who overnight at a given time) are half locals and half people from everywhere else in the US and abroad. For right now we are still planned to arrive on the 21st in the evening. I changed things about. 1. We are not taking any buses. Only exception is the skyliner. I am paying a crap load for a car rental the whole trip. Will go grocery shopping and eat half in room. Will not dine inside anywhere. A good part of our trip is shopping ( our fav mall is outdoors) and resort pool time. I was looking foward to not wearing masks as one can ( we are flying in from Germany and here N95s are a requirement everywhere but outside) but I told my DD already I dont care how stupid you feel if we are the only one in N95, but we are wearing them or we cancel. She is cool with it. Just trying to decide if we do surgical outside or keep N95 on. We have our must dos, most of which are outside. We are both vaxxed. Ideally we should hold off, but mentally we just cant. I have a back-up plan if we get sick ( family in another state) but we are both recently vaxxed (June/Aug) second shots, so I hope our antibodies are super strong. If we do eat indoors, a QS, or such we will do it at odd times when places are usually dead. lunch at 11 or dinner at 3 etc..
Very smart! I didn't know Germany requires N95's but that is the smartest thing I've heard yet! I'm a little nervous as our rules for flying with masks on may change in September and I don't want to sit next to some one who isn't wearing one for a long trip...am I being silly? my DH and I are also wearing N95's and if they don't like it tough! we are also going to try and eat meals at the parks but at off times. Have a SAFE trip but mostly a FUN trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter