To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes me too! But I guess mild compared to we weren’t hospitalized or dead 😔
My fully vaccinated son had stuffy/runny nose, sinus pressure, sneezing and coughing. He also had a fever. The rest of us who were also fully vaccinated just tested negative which is great except for the fact they want us to quarantine for 2 weeks in case symptoms do show up.

We just moved our August 17 - August 22 trip to later this year (still finalizing but most likely early November). We are both vaccinated and were planning on wearing masks the entire time (since cases started rising) - we just feel like it's a little too risky right now. Definitely bummed - but also relieved to have made a decision as we kept going back and forth.
I like November more than August. Much cooler.

My fully vaccinated son had stuffy/runny nose, sinus pressure, sneezing and coughing. He also had a fever. The rest of us who were also fully vaccinated just tested negative which is great except for the fact they want us to quarantine for 2 weeks in case symptoms do show up.

How long was your trip? Ours will be 6 nights and I'm glad it isn't longer, at this point.

For me this is the biggest reason to cancel - even if I can convince myself that it's a fairly low risk to my unable-to-be-vaccinated kids, I just do not want to invest the time and money into a Disney vacation where I have to spend every minute monitoring the crowd levels and behavior of people around me and just generally worrying about which decision might be the one I regret; it just sounds like the opposite of relaxing.
I agree. If you are nervous before your trip, it will probably be way worse when you get there. Take it as a warning sign and postpone or book something else. Even for the things I thought I would be comfortable with, I ended up being uncomfortable at times.

Yes that is what is complicating the math in my head. Orlando's true population ( those who overnight at a given time) are half locals and half people from everywhere else in the US and abroad. For right now we are still planned to arrive on the 21st in the evening. I changed things about. 1. We are not taking any buses. Only exception is the skyliner. I am paying a crap load for a car rental the whole trip. Will go grocery shopping and eat half in room. Will not dine inside anywhere. A good part of our trip is shopping ( our fav mall is outdoors) and resort pool time. I was looking foward to not wearing masks as one can ( we are flying in from Germany and here N95s are a requirement everywhere but outside) but I told my DD already I dont care how stupid you feel if we are the only one in N95, but we are wearing them or we cancel. She is cool with it. Just trying to decide if we do surgical outside or keep N95 on. We have our must dos, most of which are outside. We are both vaxxed. Ideally we should hold off, but mentally we just cant. I have a back-up plan if we get sick ( family in another state) but we are both recently vaxxed (June/Aug) second shots, so I hope our antibodies are super strong. If we do eat indoors, a QS, or such we will do it at odd times when places are usually dead. lunch at 11 or dinner at 3 etc..
You may wish to take both types with you. I'm not sure if you've been in FL in August but we call it melt-your-face-off hot!! Personally, although we wear masks often, I cannot imagine wearing a N95 outside in the FL heat and humidity.

For those changing to a resort only trip, you may wish to consider purchasing a Water Park Annual Pass. There is lots to do at Blizzard Beach and gives more variety than the resort pools.

We did a Water Park only trip a couple of summers ago in order to book at Free Dining BounceBack when it was being offered and we had a great time!

For those changing to a resort only trip, you may wish to consider purchasing a Water Park Annual Pass. There is lots to do at Blizzard Beach and gives more variety than the resort pools.

We did a Water Park only trip a couple of summers ago in order to book at Free Dining BounceBack when it was being offered and we had a great time!
I don't think waterpark APs are an option at this time. I know when I got my AP we couldn't add the waterparks option.

I don't think waterpark APs are an option at this time. I know when I got my AP we couldn't add the waterparks option.
That's right! I'd forgotten that WP AP's weren't available either. Hopefully with this weeks announcement that AP's will be available in time for WDW's 50th, they'll bring back the WP ones also.

Yes that is what is complicating the math in my head. Orlando's true population ( those who overnight at a given time) are half locals and half people from everywhere else in the US and abroad. For right now we are still planned to arrive on the 21st in the evening. I changed things about. 1. We are not taking any buses. Only exception is the skyliner. I am paying a crap load for a car rental the whole trip. Will go grocery shopping and eat half in room. Will not dine inside anywhere. A good part of our trip is shopping ( our fav mall is outdoors) and resort pool time. I was looking foward to not wearing masks as one can ( we are flying in from Germany and here N95s are a requirement everywhere but outside) but I told my DD already I dont care how stupid you feel if we are the only one in N95, but we are wearing them or we cancel. She is cool with it. Just trying to decide if we do surgical outside or keep N95 on. We have our must dos, most of which are outside. We are both vaxxed. Ideally we should hold off, but mentally we just cant. I have a back-up plan if we get sick ( family in another state) but we are both recently vaxxed (June/Aug) second shots, so I hope our antibodies are super strong. If we do eat indoors, a QS, or such we will do it at odd times when places are usually dead. lunch at 11 or dinner at 3 etc..
Does everyone there get properly fit tested for an N95? (Something we have to do every year here working in a hospital) They aren't really that great unless they fit properly, and there are many different sizes. Even ones that feel tight, usually aren't. Several people don't even fit test properly and aren't able to wear one. That seems odd to me. Or do you wear KN95s, which are pretty significantly different?

That's right! I'd forgotten that WP AP's weren't available either. Hopefully with this weeks announcement that AP's will be available in time for WDW's 50th, they'll bring back the WP ones also.
I hope I'm able to upgrade by the time I go. My kids have the waterpark add on to their 7 day tickets but will be going on their own because I don't want to pay the 50 bucks each time they decide to go.

Sure they were shortness of breath, congestion, fever, loss of taste & smell, body aches & fatigue. Was almost 2 weeks worth of that. Still have shortness or breath & my taste & smell aren’t 100% yet. Concerned those will be long term symptoms.

Wow, those seem like pretty severe symptoms for being fully vaccinated. That's really disheartening to hear. Glad you all are feeling better now! Can I ask which vaccine you all received?

Pfizer. I was complaining & said the same thing & my sister (an ER nurse) said “believe me, those are mild symptoms”.

I'm in the Northeast and we're pretty well vaccinated as a State, but so far I know 5 people that have had breakthrough cases -all similar to what you describe. All I can say is, I wouldn't want to see what unvaccinated symptoms are like....

I'm in the Northeast and we're pretty well vaccinated as a State, but so far I know 5 people that have had breakthrough cases -all similar to what you describe. All I can say is, I wouldn't want to see what unvaccinated symptoms are like....
All I know is that are hospitals are full down here & it’s worse than at any other time during the pandemic. They have more beds in a makeshift hospital that’s in the convention center, but they can’t open it b/c they don’t the staff. And, what’s worse, our children’s hospital is full too!

Thinking about making our trip resort only and eating outdoors. Already rescheduled once from 2020 and really need to get away! Is anyone else seriously considering doing this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter