To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about making our trip resort only and eating outdoors. Already rescheduled once from 2020 and really need to get away! Is anyone else seriously considering doing this?
Yes, even just one page back others are sharing making this choice too. There’s a lot to do at Disney even without going to the parks snd sometimes these are easier to control your environment. Mini golf is another activity that comes to mind for a non-park trip.

Thinking about making our trip resort only and eating outdoors. Already rescheduled once from 2020 and really need to get away! Is anyone else seriously considering doing this?
We switched Coast and are going to DL so that we can eat outside more comfortably and not need to take transportation with others. 🤣 Would we not have been able to cancel our WDW trip without penalty, we would have done resort only. There is so much to do in and around the resorts without going to the parks... simply a different pace.

We decided not to go. It was a tough decision but there are just too many variables to try to control for such an expensive trip. We decided to shift our trip to a 7-night cruise on Celebrity. They sail with 95% vaccinated guests and all crew vaccinated. If you are unvaccinated (or refuse to validate your vaccination status), they have a rigorous testing schedule. So that controls several variables that we were concerned about. We cancelled everything and a switched reservations over today. I am stuck with my tickets, but at least I'll be able to keep their value for a future trip. I think part of it for me was recalling how anxious we were on our trip in March of 2020 as COVID was barreling down on us. I don't want our trip to feel like that. We'll be back someday!

ETA: We also got travel insurance that includes medical evacuation coverage in case one of us DOES get a breakthrough infection and needs hospitalization. Celebrity also has policies and procedures in place to get you home if you test positive during your voyage and prorates a refund in that case. I was pretty impressed when I started looking at the details.

Last edited:
Does everyone there get properly fit tested for an N95? (Something we have to do every year here working in a hospital) They aren't really that great unless they fit properly, and there are many different sizes. Even ones that feel tight, usually aren't. Several people don't even fit test properly and aren't able to wear one. That seems odd to me. Or do you wear KN95s, which are pretty significantly different?

I just have KN95s (one of the FDA approved brands), which I know aren’t anywhere near a fit tested N95, but I figure the KN95 gives some extra protection in addition to being vaccinated. I’ve started wearing them instead of cloth masks ever since Delta has become more prevalent. I try to at least do the breathing tests to make sure it fit as well as I can get it to!

Does everyone there get properly fit tested for an N95? (Something we have to do every year here working in a hospital) They aren't really that great unless they fit properly, and there are many different sizes. Even ones that feel tight, usually aren't. Several people don't even fit test properly and aren't able to wear one. That seems odd to me. Or do you wear KN95s, which are pretty significantly different?
Yes N95 or FFP2 ( german version) is required for all indoor in Bavaria. Unless dining at tabel or private events. No one gets fitted, but its common knowledge that a not perfect N95 mask is better a very imperfect surgical (a surgical mask for me feels like no mask for us now- so maybe a tip for those no looking forward to masks atWDW, wear N95 for a week and then go surgical, lol). but it is common knowledge for full affect of N95 you need that seal. And breathing with seal is significantly harder than without. You can tell.

Yes N95 or FFP2 ( german version) is required for all indoor in Bavaria. Unless dining at tabel or private events. No one gets fitted, but its common knowledge that a not perfect N95 mask is better a very imperfect surgical (a surgical mask for me feels like no mask for us now- so maybe a tip for those no looking forward to masks atWDW, wear N95 for a week and then go surgical, lol). but it is common knowledge for full affect of N95 you need that seal. And breathing with seal is significantly harder than without. You can tell.
Oh yea, I frequently have to wear an N95 at work (thankfully a little less frequently now, but it was pretty much 8 hours a day up until a few months ago). Especially since we wore a surgical mask over top of it. So I know how hard it is to breathe in those things, which is why I asked. Thats crazy that you all have to wear those.

We are heading down from 8/29 to 9/4. 3 kids, only one is not vaxxed.

Not sure what to do at this point. We have trip insurance.

I'm hoping things improve since FL. schools go back this week. I think they could get this under control quickly if they took some steps. I'd like to see the park reduce capacity as well.

Adult DD and I (both vaccinated) have week of Christmas/Ny booked after rescheduling from last Christmas. We have plenty of time to watch and see how things progress. She is a nursing student and I work in elementary school and have gotten used to wearing masks. Knowing how busy this week can be, we are already making decisions on how we will tour. If numbers aren’t better by then we will reschedule again.

I modified my accommodations and shortened our length of stay this morning. We are now staying in a treehouse villa, renting a car, and I cancelled all indoor dining reservations. We are flying, but funnily enough the airplane is the least of my worries. Maybe it's because I have flown several times during this insanity. We are all vaccinated, but with the breakthrough infections I still worry. We will do our best to adhere to best practices to protect ourselves, it's the other people who do not take it seriously that I'm concerned about.

Adult DD and I (both vaccinated) have week of Christmas/Ny booked after rescheduling from last Christmas. We have plenty of time to watch and see how things progress. She is a nursing student and I work in elementary school and have gotten used to wearing masks. Knowing how busy this week can be, we are already making decisions on how we will tour. If numbers aren’t better by then we will reschedule again.

I just cancelled our Christmas trip scheduled for the same time period. The stress of all the uncertainty is enough to drive one mad!

We decided not to go. It was a tough decision but there are just too many variables to try to control for such an expensive trip. We decided to shift our trip to a 7-night cruise on Celebrity. They sail with 95% vaccinated guests and all crew vaccinated. If you are unvaccinated (or refuse to validate your vaccination status), they have a rigorous testing schedule. So that controls several variables that we were concerned about. We cancelled everything and a switched reservations over today. I am stuck with my tickets, but at least I'll be able to keep their value for a future trip. I think part of it for me was recalling how anxious we were on our trip in March of 2020 as COVID was barreling down on us. I don't want our trip to feel like that. We'll be back someday!

ETA: We also got travel insurance that includes medical evacuation coverage in case one of us DOES get a breakthrough infection and needs hospitalization. Celebrity also has policies and procedures in place to get you home if you test positive during your voyage and prorates a refund in that case. I was pretty impressed when I started looking at the details.

My brother did the exact same thing...he changed his trip to a Carnival cruise with a lots of the same protocols you mention. He also made sure to have the travel insurance. Good call on your end. I do wonder if Disney cruise line is doing the same thing as Celebrity and Carnival.

We are heading down from 8/29 to 9/4. 3 kids, only one is not vaxxed.

Not sure what to do at this point. We have trip insurance.

I'm hoping things improve since FL. schools go back this week. I think they could get this under control quickly if they took some steps. I'd like to see the park reduce capacity as well.

We are going the same time...two adults, vaccinated. We are keeping our trip. We will try to control what we can control. I am hoping there will be a lot less people too as a lot of the country will have their kids back in school that week.

That is exactly what I'm thinking of doing, although we're looking at NCL, RCL, and Carnival. The fact that the ships have to be 95% vaccinated through the end of October has me very interested. I just went to WDW in May and it was fine, but my next trip is Sept 26 - Oct 1 and I am worried about the intersection of the Delta variant and the big 50th Anniversary crowds.

Last edited:
We are scheduled for a combined Universal/Disney trip August 22-September 2 and as of now, we are still planning to go, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't anxious. My husband and I and our two older kids are fully vaxxed; our youngest gets her second Pfizer dose three days before we leave. If she hadn't been able to at least get her second dose before leaving I would absolutely be cancelling. We're just going to continue to keep an eye on things for now with the understanding that we may have to pull the plug in a week.

For your first question, I have not seen any studies releasing how many cases could be attributed to theme park visits. It's such a specific demographic that I wouldn't count on it happening.

I am a vaccinated young adult with no major health issues and am keeping my solo trip in September. I will probably keep wearing masks inside, regardless of what Universal's and Disney's rules are. I visited in March when mask rules were in full effect, and the only place I really didn't like being was Disney Springs. In the evening it was wall to wall people, almost like being in the pit at a concert.

If I were visiting now with kids who are too young to vaccinate, I would have our whole family wear masks everywhere, except maybe for photos. Hopefully my kids would understand why we are wearing them when most people aren't. I would also completely avoid Disney Springs around dinner. Maybe a quick trip at lunch time but I would get back to the resort or parks.

My brother did the exact same thing...he changed his trip to a Carnival cruise with a lots of the same protocols you mention. He also made sure to have the travel insurance. Good call on your end. I do wonder if Disney cruise line is doing the same thing as Celebrity and Carnival.

I looked briefly at DCL but since they're only doing 3 and 4 day sailings, we didn't look much further.

That is exactly what I'm thinking of doing, although we're looking at NCL, RCL, and Carnival. The fact that the ships have to be 95% vaccinated through the end of October has me very interested. I just went to WDW in May and it was fine, but my next trip is Sept 26 - Oct 1 and I am worried about the intersection of the Delta variant and the big 50th Anniversary crowds.

NCL just won an injunction to prove vaccination status in FL, so they will sail 100% vaccinated for the time being. I think that if that holds we will see the other cruise lines follow suit. Likely too short of notice for our cruise, but good news for cruising, IMO!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-233800189.html
I have to say I woke up very at peace this morning. We definitely made the right call for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter