To ECV or not to ECV? That's not actually my question.

Aflyingbuttress

Mouseketeer
I'm not sure I want to commit to an ECV rental for the entirety of my trip. My husband told me last night that he thinks I should which is making me lean more to it now, but it just seems like an incredible hassle if I can avoid it.

So, a couple of questions...

1) If I choose to attempt renting in the parks only, how easy/hard are they to get? We are going Jan 30-Feb 6 and crowds are supposed to be very light. How likely am I to get one at rope drop? What about mid-day?

2) If I do rent one for the whole trip, I assume I will need a ground floor room. Does Disney guarantee this for for ECV users or do I need to get an accessible room? Basically, how should I handle that?

TIA

I can't answer the first question other than the obvious more availability at rope drop than mid-day.

A ground floor would be more convenient but not absolutely necessary at most resorts which have elevators. Since you are mobile, you don't need an accessible room.

Last edited:
I can't answer the first question other than the obvious more availability at rope drop than mid-day.

A ground floor would be more convenient but not absolutely necessary. All resorts have elevators. Since you are mobile, you don't need an accessible room.

All resorts have elevators? Are they hiding? I swear I've read countless times that many of them don't. We stayed at CRB last year and I never saw an elevator in our building. I've obviously been missing something huge.

All resorts have elevators? Are they hiding? I swear I've read countless times that many of them don't. We stayed at CRB last year and I never saw an elevator in our building. I've obviously been missing something huge.

My sincere apologies for giving out bad information. I should have asked where you were staying. All value and deluxe resorts have elevators. I'll edit my post.

No worries. We are staying at POR. That's funny that the value has elevators but the moderates don't. If I had known that I probably would have booked a value resort.

Most resorts have elevators. I think CBR does not, at all. OKW only has them in some buildings. And I want to say there may be another resort without elevators, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting an ECV at rope drop. Mid-day is a toss-up, but strong chance none are available. If that happens, you could get a wheelchair and waitlist for an ECV to become available.

Enjoy your vacation!

Most people like having the use of a scooter at the resort especially if you plan eating at the food court. Waiting for bus transportation to the parks is much easier seating on a scooter then standing especially at the end of the day. This is a big reason to do an offsite rental. These portable travel scooters can fit in cars, too. You need to dismantle, but it's doable. Also, you won't be on a time schedule with the park to be there at rope drop to make sure you get one. It's cheaper on a per day basis, too.

Also, you will probably hurt less and be less tired using a scooter; so you can enjoy a longer park stay.

The park scooters are monsters. I find them more awkward in ride queues. The cost is much higher. You don't have to charge the battery or put them in and out of your room.

Thinking about scootering or not you need to think about Animal Kingdom being 5X larger than Magic Kingdom. The average trek each day is about six miles in each park.

A scooter saved my trip a few years ago, before I had my knee replaced. I just rented one from a Disney approved company, had it delivered and dropped it at concierge for pick up. If you rent from a non approved vendor, you have to be there for drop off and pick up, so it's more of a planned thing. The only thing I found that took some getting used to is getting on and off the bus. The driver will help you, but everyone in line watches how you drive, it can be a bit embarrassing if you are bad at it, but my feeling is it's worth a little bit of awkward. I had so much fun and had no pain.

A scooter saved my trip a few years ago, before I had my knee replaced. I just rented one from a Disney approved company, had it delivered and dropped it at concierge for pick up. If you rent from a non approved vendor, you have to be there for drop off and pick up, so it's more of a planned thing. The only thing I found that took some getting used to is getting on and off the bus. The driver will help you, but everyone in line watches how you drive, it can be a bit embarrassing if you are bad at it, but my feeling is it's worth a little bit of awkward. I had so much fun and had no pain.

Just remember one thing... when you feel like *everyone* is watching you board the bus, they probably aren't really paying attention to *you* - it's the BUS.

The damn thing beeps, and kneels and wheezes, and then barfs out a ramp, for crying out loud - so that's what everyone is looking at! ;)

Not that you aren't absolutely adorable on your scooter - and totally worth looking at; it's just all the *theatrics* that bus performs! ;)

Most resorts have elevators. I think CBR does not, at all. OKW only has them in some buildings. And I want to say there may be another resort without elevators, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting an ECV at rope drop. Mid-day is a toss-up, but strong chance none are available. If that happens, you could get a wheelchair and waitlist for an ECV to become available.

Enjoy your vacation!

So, if I’m at a resort that doesn’t have elevators, how do they handle it if I show up with an ECV?

Most people like having the use of a scooter at the resort especially if you plan eating at the food court. Waiting for bus transportation to the parks is much easier seating on a scooter then standing especially at the end of the day. This is a big reason to do an offsite rental. These portable travel scooters can fit in cars, too. You need to dismantle, but it's doable. Also, you won't be on a time schedule with the park to be there at rope drop to make sure you get one. It's cheaper on a per day basis, too.

Also, you will probably hurt less and be less tired using a scooter; so you can enjoy a longer park stay.

The park scooters are monsters. I find them more awkward in ride queues. The cost is much higher. You don't have to charge the battery or put them in and out of your room.

Thinking about scootering or not you need to think about Animal Kingdom being 5X larger than Magic Kingdom. The average trek each day is about six miles in each park.

Yeah, it’s the sitting while waiting that is mostly why I’m thinking about getting an ECV. I have a much, much harder time standing around than I do continuing to move. When I’m standing still it’s like all those aches and pains are amplified. We got a preferred room at POR so I’m less concerned about the walk to food and we won’t be going to Animal Kingdom. I am a bit worried about the size of Epcot. I was considering getting an ECV just for Epcot days.

It is helpful to know this park scooters are monsters. That’s discouraging on its own.

It’s hard to get over the feeling of being watched. I have to admit, I watch people get on and off the bus on scooters. Not at all because I am think anything negative about them. Just because its kind of an interesting process and on a bus it’s something to look at. But you raise a really good point about it saving your trip.

Part of the reason I’m really torn about getting the ECV is because during our last trip to Disney I was in excruciating pain and we even came home from the park early the last few days because I simply couldn’t handle it.

BUT...

That’s in part because I damaged my feet on the first day. We had a marathon day. Got to MK at rope drop, then went to DS for a BBB appt for our daughter, then went back to MK for MNSSHP and we stayed until it was over. I wore a pair of sandals that unexpectedly rubbed my feet raw. I was already experiencing blisters by early afternoon and tried multiple things throughout the day to mitigate the problem, from buying new flip flops, to plastering my feet in band-aids, to layering in socks, all to no avail. The skin literally peeled away from the entire bottoms of my feet by the end of day one.

I was in so much pain the rest of the trip. Every step felt like I was walking on fire. We got back to our hotel and I cried every night because they hurt so bad. I don’t know why I didn’t get a scooter. It didn’t even occur to me for some reason. By the end of the trip I could barely walk or stand. No exaggeration, it took months for my feet to fully heal after that.

Obviously, I’m not going to make that same mistake with shoes this time. So I’m having a hard time determining how much of the pain at the end of the week was because of my feet or because of my fibromyalgia. I always hurt and usually worse after a long day of activity. But that was the worst pain I’ve ever been in. Part of me wants to try and go without the ECV and part of me is worried to do that.

Just to let you know I went with a cousin who blistered up, too. We laughed a little because three of them were positioned just right to form a Mickey head; so, we said she had a hidden Mickey. It made her feel a little better. She wasn't using a scooter at the time.

The next trip together she used a scooter and no blisters. Being off her feet made a difference for her that way.

You don't have to be glued to the scooter. You can always drive it to your destination in the park and then park it for a while if you want some exercise or feel self conscious with it. Just remember to take your key and belongings with you.

To answer the question about what to do if your resort doesn't have an elevator - make sure they put you on the first floor! Simples!

We checked into OKW last month - and I'm glad I mentioned eventually about having a scooter delivered the following day because they'd put us on the 2nd floor!! I was astounded, especially as they had down as a preference the need for access to an elevator!!! So, anyway, they found us a first floor room, and apart from the 2" step for the front door it was fine.

I would also advocate hiring off site in advance. A park scooter can be $40 a day (not sure of the exact amount) and they steer like dumpster trucks! And you can't take a MK one to Epcot if you decide to park hop, for example. I paid about $13 a day for my scooter (and also got a 20% discount when they held a flash sale).

To answer the question about what to do if your resort doesn't have an elevator - make sure they put you on the first floor! Simples!

We checked into OKW last month - and I'm glad I mentioned eventually about having a scooter delivered the following day because they'd put us on the 2nd floor!! I was astounded, especially as they had down as a preference the need for access to an elevator!!! So, anyway, they found us a first floor room, and apart from the 2" step for the front door it was fine.

I would also advocate hiring off site in advance. A park scooter can be $40 a day (not sure of the exact amount) and they steer like dumpster trucks! And you can't take a MK one to Epcot if you decide to park hop, for example. I paid about $13 a day for my scooter (and also got a 20% discount when they held a flash sale).

Right so that was my initial question. Do I have to tell them in advance that I might have a scooter? Maybe I’ll just tell them I will have one for sure. And then deal with it when I get there if I need to.

I think I’m just going to rent one for the whole trip. That way it’s there if I need it and if I don’t I can leave it behind. I’ll consider it mobility insurance for myself. No risk of not being able to get around the park.

yes you need to tell them in advance. even so, it will be a request only. as a former Hotel front desk clerk, I can tell you that if we know up front it is vastly easier to plan ahead with allocating rooms in order to plan for having X type/location available on your check in day, as long as everyone else who has checked in prior to you checks out on time or doesn't change their room mid stream. nothing worse than having a room set aside for X party only to have them demand at check in at 7 am that they have access right then and there.. throws the entire thing off balance. not to mention ticking off the housekeeping staff.

if you do not, there is a possibility that no matter what they will not be able to accommodate a first floor room.

don't forget that it cannot be left outside the hallways. it must fit inside the room unless bell services agrees to keep it overnight to charge.

Right so that was my initial question. Do I have to tell them in advance that I might have a scooter? Maybe I’ll just tell them I will have one for sure. And then deal with it when I get there if I need to.

I think I’m just going to rent one for the whole trip. That way it’s there if I need it and if I don’t I can leave it behind. I’ll consider it mobility insurance for myself. No risk of not being able to get around the park.
I would tell them that you need first floor or a building with an elevator. And I would tell them that even if you don't end up with a scooter. If you are thinking about a scooter, you certainly don't want to have to walk up those stairs at the end of the day.

And although we would like to think that people aren't watching us, we know that they are. Just be prepared for it. And be ready to brush it off. You could also have someone else park it if you are really self conscience about it. Also be ready for at least one of those people that are watching you, to comment. Ignore them.

yes you need to tell them in advance. even so, it will be a request only. as a former Hotel front desk clerk, I can tell you that if we know up front it is vastly easier to plan ahead with allocating rooms in order to plan for having X type/location available on your check in day, as long as everyone else who has checked in prior to you checks out on time or doesn't change their room mid stream. nothing worse than having a room set aside for X party only to have them demand at check in at 7 am that they have access right then and there.. throws the entire thing off balance. not to mention ticking off the housekeeping staff.

if you do not, there is a possibility that no matter what they will not be able to accommodate a first floor room.

don't forget that it cannot be left outside the hallways. it must fit inside the room unless bell services agrees to keep it overnight to charge.

I find this curious. I’m staying in a hotel with no elevator. Do they really tell people who show up with an ECV that they don’t have a ground floor room for them and that they have to climb stairs, even when the person told them in advance they can’t do that?

I don’t necessarily mean me. But if you’re disabled and rely on an ECV and can’t go up stairs, how doe you plan ahead?

I actually have a genetic defect in my knee and already requested a ground floor because of that but I could manage if I absolutely had to.

I would tell them that you need first floor or a building with an elevator. And I would tell them that even if you don't end up with a scooter. If you are thinking about a scooter, you certainly don't want to have to walk up those stairs at the end of the day.

And although we would like to think that people aren't watching us, we know that they are. Just be prepared for it. And be ready to brush it off. You could also have someone else park it if you are really self conscience about it. Also be ready for at least one of those people that are watching you, to comment. Ignore them.

Yes, I already requested a ground floor for a different medical issue but it I didn’t mention an ECV because I wasn’t sure I’d be taking one. I decided that I’m going to rent one to make sure I’m able to enjoy my trip. I’ll call them tomorrow to have them make a note in my account.

Yes, as others have posted, you need to have it noted on your reservation that you plan to have a mobility device, and are requesting either a 1st floor room or a building with an elevator to be able to access your room with the mobility device.

It isn’t a guarantee, pretty much nothing is 100% guaranteed regarding rooms at WDW, but with the explanation they will do everything possible. I suggest not making other room requests, or making it clear that the 1st floor room supersedes any/all other requests. The only other ways to “guarantee” a room you can get to with your mobility device is to book at a resort with elevators, or book a wheelchair accessible room.

Enjoy your vacation!

We once had a CM suggest that we carry my ECV up the stairs at POR, since there were no ground floor rooms available (no elevators). I think the look of shock and laughter on my part told the whole story. I have to use an ECV to get around, there is no way I can carry it up the stairs to the second floor (I can't even do the stairs by myself). They eventually found us a ground floor room. We had made no specific room requests but did note on our reservation that we had an ECV...no one looked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter