To ECV or not to ECV? That's not actually my question.

I find this curious. I’m staying in a hotel with no elevator. Do they really tell people who show up with an ECV that they don’t have a ground floor room for them and that they have to climb stairs, even when the person told them in advance they can’t do that?

I don’t necessarily mean me. But if you’re disabled and rely on an ECV and can’t go up stairs, how doe you plan ahead?

I actually have a genetic defect in my knee and already requested a ground floor because of that but I could manage if I absolutely had to.

yes. I have had to tell people I had no ground floor rooms available. and my hotel did not have an elevator. granted it was only 2 stories high, but still. if it is not indicated on the reservation that you want one, you get assigned to whatever the system says will be open for the dates you are reserved for. this does not factor in late checkouts( people who decide to stay an extra day, or who do not actually check out until after 1 pm, meaning the housekeeping staff may not actually get it turned over) or walk ins. if you indicate you need one, we noted it in the pre assignment to not move this person . but as I said, sometimes you have allowed Room X for this person, but the person who is occupying it doesn't leave on time. or, once, they trashed it so badly we had to take it off inventory for a week.

you need to specify ECV. just asking for a first floor room is not a flag for those who assign room numbers. LOTS of people ask for first floor rooms.. and at least half the time it has nothing to do with mobility.

Disney in particular is pretty up front about not guaranteeing any specific requests. the only time I have seen them do so is if the number of kids outnumber the number of adults and you request adjoining/connecting rooms( interior door)

Its funny, we do not request specific rooms, but 2 out of the last three trips I have been assigned a handicapped room. my wheelchair collapses easily and I don't need it anywhere other than the parks so we never bothered to request one. I will admit to greatly appreciating the large zero entry shower though....

the only time I have seen them do so is if the number of kids outnumber the number of adults and you request adjoining/connecting rooms( interior door)

And that isn’t guaranteed, either. As long as there are 2 adults, WDW may expect them to split up into separate rooms with the minor kids. LOTS of families come to WDW with 3+ Kids, outnumbering the parents; no logistical way to guarantee rooms.

I appreciate all the information. I did request a ground floor room due to a mobility issue but I haven’t mentioned the ECV because I hadn’t decided abou it yet. But I am going to rent one so I will make sure I call in advance.

Thanks everyone.

So, if I’m at a resort that doesn’t have elevators, how do they handle it if I show up with an ECV?
You let the hotel know, in advance, that you need a first floor room.
We got a preferred room at POR
Then you have a 50/50 chance of a second floor room without elevator access.
Do I have to tell them in advance that I might have a scooter?
Why would you not?
find this curious. I’m staying in a hotel with no elevator. Do they really tell people who show up with an ECV that they don’t have a ground floor room for them and that they have to climb stairs, even when the person told them in advance they can’t do that?
It's possible. Just fyi, all your reservation guarantees is a room. Not necessarily the category you reserved, possibly not even the resort you booked. This is standard policy throughout the hotel industry.

A bit confused. First you wonder if it's even necessary to advise your hotel of any special needs/requests. Then you express concern about the hotel not being able to meet your needs even after they've been informed of same.

Why would you not?

In my original question I wasn’t even sure I was going to get an EVC and I wanted to know how they would handle it if I decided at the last minute to get one. I asked that because I didn’t want to calm and say I would have one when I didn’t. I also wanted to know whether I needed to request an accessible room I’d I did decide to get one. I just wanted to know what to expect.

A bit confused. First you wonder if it's even necessary to advise your hotel of any special needs/requests. Then you express concern about the hotel not being able to meet your needs even after they've been informed of same.

I didn’t wonder if it was even necessary to advise them of my needs. I wondered how I should handle the situation being that I wasn’t sure yet whether I would have the ECV or not. I asked the question to gain some knowledge about what Disney’s process was and what I could expect. Is that so strange? I also stated more than once that I already advised them that I wanted a ground floor due to being disabled and that I hadn’t mentioned the ECV because I was undecided on that matter.

Yes, I later expressed concern that it’s not a guarantee you’d get a ground floor even if I did tell them in advance. I don’t think it’s inherently obvious that someone informing them in advance that they have an ECV is still at risk of showing up with no way to get it to their room. Clearly, I don’t expect Disney to read my mind or magically make a room available when there isnt one if I didn’t tell them my needs in advance. That would be ridiculous and is not at all what I meant. If I expected that, I wouldn’t even bother asking these questions.

Just remember one thing... when you feel like *everyone* is watching you board the bus, they probably aren't really paying attention to *you* - it's the BUS.

The damn thing beeps, and kneels and wheezes, and then barfs out a ramp, for crying out loud - so that's what everyone is looking at! ;)

Not that you aren't absolutely adorable on your scooter - and totally worth looking at; it's just all the *theatrics* that bus performs! ;)
Too funny.....but true, what else are they going to do but patiently wait for you to board. It's entertainment!

Part of the reason I’m really torn about getting the ECV is because during our last trip to Disney I was in excruciating pain and we even came home from the park early the last few days because I simply couldn’t handle it.

BUT...

That’s in part because I damaged my feet on the first day. We had a marathon day. Got to MK at rope drop, then went to DS for a BBB appt for our daughter, then went back to MK for MNSSHP and we stayed until it was over. I wore a pair of sandals that unexpectedly rubbed my feet raw. I was already experiencing blisters by early afternoon and tried multiple things throughout the day to mitigate the problem, from buying new flip flops, to plastering my feet in band-aids, to layering in socks, all to no avail. The skin literally peeled away from the entire bottoms of my feet by the end of day one.

I was in so much pain the rest of the trip. Every step felt like I was walking on fire. We got back to our hotel and I cried every night because they hurt so bad. I don’t know why I didn’t get a scooter. It didn’t even occur to me for some reason. By the end of the trip I could barely walk or stand. No exaggeration, it took months for my feet to fully heal after that.

Obviously, I’m not going to make that same mistake with shoes this time. So I’m having a hard time determining how much of the pain at the end of the week was because of my feet or because of my fibromyalgia. I always hurt and usually worse after a long day of activity. But that was the worst pain I’ve ever been in. Part of me wants to try and go without the ECV and part of me is worried to do that.
I wouldn't risk it. Like you I struggled with "should I get it for all the days? Maybe I can just get it for a few days?" In the end I decided it wasn't worth the risk of possibly being in more pain than was tolerable. It's not a time to be brave. It's time to relax and enjoy your trip. Why take a chance?

I find this curious. I’m staying in a hotel with no elevator. Do they really tell people who show up with an ECV that they don’t have a ground floor room for them and that they have to climb stairs, even when the person told them in advance they can’t do that?

I don’t necessarily mean me. But if you’re disabled and rely on an ECV and can’t go up stairs, how doe you plan ahead?

I actually have a genetic defect in my knee and already requested a ground floor because of that but I could manage if I absolutely had to.
I've never told them in advance. But...both times I had to use a ECV I stayed at POP and they have an elevator. So no issues whatsoever!

I've never used a EVC, but wanted throw out my experience while waiting for a wheelchair at MK. Not quite rope drop, perhaps 1/2 hr later, snaking line in order to pay for one and then a wait to get one. Unless you get there extra extra early, you're missing the best time in the parks waiting to get a EVC/WC. An if you wait until later before getting to the parks, you may not get an EVC at all.

That's one of the reasons we rented a WC off site last time. Even though it's just about the same price, it's more convenient. No checking in and out between parks and having the chair from the gates all the way to the room. I understand EVC are a lot cheaper off site.

I've never used a EVC, but wanted throw out my experience while waiting for a wheelchair at MK. Not quite rope drop, perhaps 1/2 hr later, snaking line in order to pay for one and then a wait to get one. Unless you get there extra extra early, you're missing the best time in the parks waiting to get a EVC/WC. An if you wait until later before getting to the parks, you may not get an EVC at all.

That's one of the reasons we rented a WC off site last time. Even though it's just about the same price, it's more convenient. No checking in and out between parks and having the chair from the gates all the way to the room. I understand EVC are a lot cheaper off site.
They definitely are cheaper and if you rent from an approved vendor, really simple procedure. The ECV will be waiting for you and you can drop it at concierge when you leave.

It looks like you have already made your decision, but just wanted to give my 2-cents...

When I rented an off-site ECV (via Buena Vista) for my previous visit, I was able to do open-to-close every day that I was at the parks. When I say open to close, I mean Early Morning Magic at Magic Kingdom (7:00am) until after the park closed and I waited for the crowds lessen by shopping after closing (10:30-11:00pm). There is no way that I would have lasted over 12 hours at MK without the ECV!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter