To Camera or not to Camera...

BostonTigger

<font color=purple>I want the Swiss Family Treehou
...this is the question which preoccupies my mind. I'm an amateur photographer, so my last two trips to WDW I took my camera. I have a nice Pentax K1000 manual with a few lenses. I usually take my 200meter lense with me - for those hard to get shots. I've only been down to WDW twice, but when I got all 10 rolls developed from my last trip I noticed that most of my shots were repeats, just from different angles. There were new shots that wern't in the last batch, but most were repeats. So I'd like to ask all you photography buffs out there a question. Do you continue to take your camera with you even though you might have taken the same pictures, even if they are from different angles? Do you take your manual camera, or did you buy a small auto camera that fits into your fanny pack? (as a student, I carry a back pack with me everywhere so I carry only a fannypack when in WDW) I'm considering not taking a camera with me on my next trip, it's just one less thing I have to carry. I've also considered buying a small auto camera that would fit in my fanny pack. What do you think? I'd like to hear from people who continue to take a camera and those who have given up on taking theres. Thanks in advance for all your responces.

Steven

For our last trip we bought a Pentax Espio 38-120mm zoom lens on it. It's a compact camera. It fit in our fanny pack.

I could not imagine having to trot around my veryexpensive Canon SLR cameras. I would worry about them getting damaged and I would think that it would be heavy.

You can still get pretty creative with the small camera. Our even had a bulb setting for long shutter speeds and we used a mini (spider-pod) tripod. We got great shots of the fireworks that way.

DOn't ever go without a camera...Even if it's a very inexpensive one.

What a great question! Here's my 2 cents.<P>
I just returned from my 21st visit to WDW. Obviously, there isn't much that I haven't seen or photographed before. That said, I ALWAYS have some type of camera, although more often lately I find it is a 35mm disposable that I can put in my pocket or fanny pack. At least that way I'm prepared for the unexpected.
<P>This is coming from a guy who used to spend a couple of nites trekking through the parks with a tripod and taking time-exposure nite shots. But I agree with you that once you've shot all the sites, you don't need all the fancy and heavy equipment.
<P>I found that on this trip, the main thing I took pictures of was my daughter. I was trying to get one good shot to use on our holiday cards. Other than that, I took some pictures when we went to see Animal Kingdom Lodge, and that was just about it.
<P>Steve

I think lugging around a bunch of camera equipment is a big pain in the neck. DH has a new digital camera, but if he wants to bring it, he carries it! We left it at the table in the American Adventure once after we ate lunch(DH had hung it off the back of the chair):eek: . Thankfully, it was still there when he went back for it.

If I carried any kind of camera, it would be a small disposable one just in case some once-in-a-lifetime shot occurred.

Here's my take....you never know what you might have an opportunity to take a picture of! My first trip as an adult was in 1999 with my wife. I carried a Nikon N60 with a couple of lenses and shot 8 rolls of film in 6 days! Second trip was this past June with our two kids (3 & 6 then). I carried my Minolta Dimage7 digital camera. I shot almost two full CD's of 5 megapixel images! I guess the thing I would fear the most is if I left the camera at home or in the room, it would be the one time the kids or wife would get pulled out of the crowd into a parade or some special "character" situation. As an amateur photographer, I'm sure you already know that you will shoot TONS of photos for that one special shot. That is why I went to digital, so I at least don't have to print them and can sometimes throw them out on the spot.

Just my 2 cents.

KT

I am a single traveler. I might not have decided to take a camera on the next trip, since I have taken so many pictures in the past. However, since I've never been there at Christmas time AND since I will be there during Dis Con, I will take the digital camera. I am not taking the video camera. However, I feel if you are going with your family, you probably would like to bring home some photographic memories on each trip.

I've been photographing EVERYTHING for over 20yrs (I got addict to camera's in high school art classes). I have everything you could ever need for equipment.
DH & I went to WDW 13 years ago, most of what we saw was through the view finder of my Ricoh KR10.
This years trip (11/6-11/13)- DH brought a video cam, I brought a small APS camera (in fanny pack or around my neck)and we let DD carry her own cheap kids 35mm.(HER first trip to WDW)
DH shot -4hrs video, I shot 8 rolls of film- DD- shot 6 rolls of film.
So far the video, has been watched 3 times (we only got back Sat.!)
This time I didn't feel I missed experinceing WDW, and I wasn't going for picture perfect post card but for creating memories...my 2 cents...go with something small, live the days at WDW, capture on film just the things that will bring back the essence of your trip.

What I have done after taking a 35mm so many trips is switched to digital about 3 years ago. Looked until I found the smallest size with as many features as possible. My Kodak DC4800 (now discontinued) has worked out great. Being a shoot on the fly type it is light enough to just hang on a adjustable lanyard so it is always ready. Take along 4 256mb Flashcards and have never filled them completely.
For something different started doing last year was early in the morning and after dark find some central spot and take a 360 degree set then edit them together when I get home. Hey just something to do.
RussH

I think if you didn't take at least an automatic, all-in-one, you'd get there and be sorry. I would at least buy one or two before you go, as they can be expensive in WDW.
I understand not wanting to tote around a camera, but there are just some things you might want to capture on film (or digital).

I bought a digital last year, very small Nikon, and I love it. I bought a large card, so I dont have to worry about changing cards or downloading the pictures somewhere. I bought an extra battery, so I just recharge them at night, and I am good to go for the next day.

Whatever you choose, have a great time!!!!!!

21 More days!!!

I'm an amatuer photographer myself. I still bring my Canon Rebel 2000 with me almost everywhere I go. But I do believe in something smaller for certain situations, like being in the parks, riding rides, dinner, etc. A friend of mine bought an Elph APS camera for our trip last year and loved it, we relied on her elph when I didn't want to lug my camera around. It fit into her pants pocket, around her wrist, or around her neck. And it took great photos. I also like the idea of the digital cameras for the times you don't want to carry a larger one. They have some very small high quality digitals now...just be sure to get at least 2megapixels...I saw an Elph digital the other day and its now on my christmas list. :)

I love to take pictures, but not only because I love photography, but I'm also a scrapbooker. :)

Have fun!

I've shot about 20 rolls of film on each trip (20 in the last 4 years) until i bought a digital - now i fill smart media instead - it's great practice - i find my pictures have improved over the years. I scrapbook - there is no such thing as too many pictures;-) I DO cull out the junk though, and believe me there is a LOT of that!

something like $12.50. What I do remember -saying to myself was I would never spent that amount of money on a throw away camera...it might even by higher than that.
If it's money or even chance of loseing a camera is what your after, I bought DD (71/2) a "Crayola" 35mm kids camera for $9, (flash & all) and it actually takes better pics than I've seen with disposables and very durable.

I started to notice after a few trips that I had quite a few duplicate pictures also. This past trip and for future trips I make it a challenge to get some new shots, you always overlook something. Even if some still are repeats it is nice to see the subtle changes throught the years.

The camera I use is a Kodak Advantix C650 with zoom lens. It has the capability to create panoramic shots that will even give a previously shot photo a new look.

I don't like to carry anything with me in the parks if I can help it, like a backpack. Cargo shorts are a good choice, camera and film fit in nicely and of course the required poncho in the other pocket for those rainy July days.

I go to WDW twice a year. I scrapbook also, so therefore I do not go anywhere without a camera or cameras. Make a list of the shots you have already, or make a list of the things you want to capture and take only those shots. Remember, if you do not bring it, you will want it. On my last trip my Pentax stopped working, I had to go and buy another camera, rather inexpensive
point and shoot, but I got some great shots.

Originally posted by paulinewdw
Remember, if you do not bring it, you will want it.

You are so right paulinewdw. That's happened to me on more than one occasion. Thanks for reminding me. I've decided to continue to carry my camera with me. Thanks for the advice everyone.

steven

Regardless of whether you go digital, or bring a regular film camera, be sure to take along a couple of the waterproof disposables as well. Last year I took my SLR and video each out to the parks on different days, but wouldn't even think about taking them to one of the water parks. I took a waterproof Fuji disposable to both BB and TL and got some great shots in the water and on the rides. Try this - you'll be glad you did!

There's a link below to some of my pictures. There's a separate page for the ones from the water parks.

I bought a digital camera just before our trip (Kodak 4320). It turned out to be a big highlight for us-- especially for DD(13). We took over 1,000 pictures (DD was trying her hand at photography especially birds and flowers). We took pictures of things in the gift shops that we liked but didn't really want to buy. We took pics anytime we felt like it with no worries of wasting film. Each night when we got back to the resort I downloaded the pics to my laptop and we watched a slide show before going to bed. It was really fun. We watched the entire set of photos on the plane on the way home which killed a fair amount of time. I carried the camera most of the time. I used a lightweight camera bag with shoulder strap and was barely aware I was wearing it. I highly recommend going digital if you choose to camera!

We will be using our first digital camera (from Santa) in December. Not bringing a laptop, so what are our options for viewing and printing pictures in the parks? Are any of the photo shops set up to do this? Thanks!

:eek: Go to Disney without a camera!

I didn't want to worry about my expenseive cameras all the time (digital and APS) so I brought a bunch of disposables (bought on sale) with me! It worked out great to have them always at an arms reach (on top of DS's stroller - didn't have to worry about someone 'stealing' an expensive camera)! I realized it the first day when I missed a WONDERFUL pic op of Cinderalla's mice dancing with my DH and I couldn't get out the camera in time!

You never know when the magic will happen and you want to preserve those memories! If you HATE diposables there are some new model - VERY SLIM cameras out there that would be great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter