To answer Pete's question on the podcast about room only reservations who don't yet have tickets...

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
In the podcast today updating information regarding the Reservation System, Pete wondered whether Disney would sell a ticket to someone who has an upcoming room only reservation.

The answer we were given by a CM is no.

My daughter had a DVC reservation for August 5th - 20th, but hadn't as yet purchased tickets.
When we called DVC member services last week we asked whether she could buy tickets of any kind, including APs.
The CM said no. It was clear she felt terrible about giving us that answer.

So of course, Chani had to cancel her reservation, which is actually what we assumed when we called.

Didn't Disney officially say they were going to resume selling tickets on June 28?

they said that on june 28 they would start selling tickets for 2021, not 2020

they said that sometime later this year, they will resume selling tickets for 2020, but not on june 28.
June 28 is when they resume selling packages and tickets for 2021.

Last edited:
That CM was wrong. On monday 6/15 I bought 3 gold AP for my family thru the disneyworld website. AP sales never stopped as far as I know. Tickets are linked to our aug 22nd trip now waiting for monday.

this is hot mess but I know they are doing what they can to keep people safe. Like Pete, I'm impressed by the fact that a billion dollar company is putting safety before profit. BUT, it still sucks for folks...I get it.

This is such a mess - they don’t know what they’re doing. I sympathize with them, I get it’s a freak occurance... but IMO they should have stayed closed until they were able to open in a way that isn’t so complicated.

I desperately want to go this year but the more I think about it the more I wonder if it’s even gonna be worth it. Am I gonna be stuck in a non-discounted hotel not of my choosing, only allowed to go to certain parks on certain days? It’s getting tougher to justify a trip.

That CM was wrong. On monday 6/15 I bought 3 gold AP for my family thru the disneyworld website. AP sales never stopped as far as I know. Tickets are linked to our aug 22nd trip now waiting for monday.

that's crazy..
we asked the CM if there was any kind of ticket available....length of stay, AP,anything...
she said no and she didn't know when they would be available again...
and we knew that the UK 14 day ultimate ticket wasn't being sold for 2020 either (that's the ticket we usually get)...

well it doesn't matter.....
my daughter needed to cancel anyway...
international travel isn't the wisest of choices right now...
not to mention, travel insurance to the USA now costs over $100 per day (because of corona)..
so for her 15 day trip, she would have had to pay $1,500 for insurance for each of them...
$3,000 for travel insurance for the two of them is a wee bit expensive....

That's sad, Beth, but as you said, Chani pretty much knew that trip wasn't going to happen. Cost aside, it's probably not the best idea to travel right now anyway.

There's no way we're going to WDW until at least early 2021 and possibly not until our October 2021 stay for the 50th. I'm hoping COVID is reasonably controlled by then.

That's sad, Beth, but as you said, Chani pretty much knew that trip wasn't going to happen. Cost aside, it's probably not the best idea to travel right now anyway.

There's no way we're going to WDW until at least early 2021 and possibly not until our October 2021 stay for the 50th. I'm hoping COVID is reasonably controlled by then.

I’ll be there for the 50th as well! We’ll have to have a DIS meetup!

Same here (as you already know). We are splurging big time and booked the garden wing of the Contemporary for 4 nights. I wanted to be able to walk to Magic Kingdom because I'm sure it's going to be nuts there and not having to deal with transportation will be one less headache.

what dates are you going to be there?
summer 2021 has been our target for the 'full family mode' trip...
july/august 2021 - my husband, me, Chani and her husband, my son and his wife and their 3 kids (ages next year: 3, 5, 7)
that's 9 in all...
we haven't reserved yet as we're DVC, so we're waiting for the 11 month mark....

i sure hope covid is a thing of the past by then!!

Same here (as you already know). We are splurging big time and booked the garden wing of the Contemporary for 4 nights. I wanted to be able to walk to Magic Kingdom because I'm sure it's going to be nuts there and not having to deal with transportation will be one less headache.

Yeah I’m planning on the Poly.

Now I assume you guys who booked already didn’t get any discounts or anything? I usually wait until there’s a discount available but I think it’ll be too late for the 50th.

You booked your room already?? I didn’t even know you could!

Well, now they have suspended booking but I booked back in May right as I hit the 499 day mark. Booked from Sept 29 to Oct 3, 2021 at Caribbean Beach

As for discounts, yeah this is undiscounted but figure lock in something and then if I can get a discount I will, but at least have something

what dates are you going to be there?
We booked the Contemporary for 9/29-10/3. We'll stay longer than that but the rest of the trip will be offsite. I'm not sure if we'll extend before that or after that.
You booked your room already?? I didn’t even know you could!
Yep. As Phil said, you can make room-only reservations 499 days in advance. I booked in May.
Now I assume you guys who booked already didn’t get any discounts or anything? I usually wait until there’s a discount available but I think it’ll be too late for the 50th.
Nope. Full rack rate, which is crazy expensive ($700/night at the garden wing of the Contemporary). Hopefully some discount will come along.

We booked the Contemporary for 9/29-10/3. We'll stay longer than that but the rest of the trip will be offsite. I'm not sure if we'll extend before that or after that.

Yep. As Phil said, you can make room-only reservations 499 days in advance. I booked in May.

Nope. Full rack rate, which is crazy expensive ($700/night at the garden wing of the Contemporary). Hopefully some discount will come along.

I can't say enough about that location.

Last August, Chani and i stayed at Bay Lake Tower and oh my god, it was fantastic being able to walk to the Magic Kingdom and especially to be able to walk back after the fireworks.
No crazy crush of people waiting for the ferry/monorail/buses, just a nice short stroll back to BLT/CR.

i knew it would be convenient staying so nearby, but i underestimated how much we would enjoy being able to walk back and forth like that.

Last edited:
I can't say enough about that location.

Last August, Chani and i stayed at Bay Lake Tower and oh my god, it was fantastic being able to walk to the Magic Kingdom and especially to be able to walk back after the fireworks.
No crazy crush of people waiting for the ferry/monorail/buses, just a nice short stroll back to BLT/CR.

i knew it would be convenient staying so nearby, but i underestimated how much we would enjoy being able to walk back and forth like that.

That was the best perk of staying at BLT for the Dis event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter