Tips on submitting POT's

Princess_Nikki

DIS Veteran
Ok, running friends, I've seen a few tips here and there but don't recall exactly where. I'm a Run Disney NOOB for the most part. I was in Corral M for Princess Half because I didn't submit a POT.

For Wine & Dine, I'd like to submit a POT. But I do have a few observations & thoughts:

1. Run Disney races, for the most part, seem like just good times. I'm ok with that. I'm not trying to win any of them, but would like to be in a more appropriate corral for my pace.

2. That being said, have many of you found being in the best corral for you was worth it?

3. Is there something I should be looking for when it comes to a race registration about receiving a POT? I noticed Run Disney requires a POT link. Do all races post if this feature is available? Hate to sign up for a 10k and not get a useable POT!

Like I said, I was in Corral M, but spent the first 2 hours of the Half running in the grass on the side of the road to get past all the walkers (that somehow were in corrals before mine). I think the race would be way more enjoyable for me if I was put in the corral with runners who were around my same pace too. I think that the race would be more enjoyable as I would likely have more time for pictures and enjoying it rather then running past walkers.

I know I've read in a few threads here and there about submitting proof of times, but I guess I'm wondering if anyone else thinks the way I do about submitting the proof of time to be in a more comfortable corral.

Thanks in advance!

(2) yes. I go mainly for the character photos and being in an earlier corral gives me more space and shorter character lines.

(3) Definitely look for races that are chip-timed. Most should have their results online - a link to that is what rD is looking for.

The fact that you said you were running in the grass a ton makes me think you should definitely submit a time. :)

I usually get slotted in middle-to-later corrals and Tinkerbell was my first RD race with my new GOOD (for me) PoT and I was in B. The difference was amazing and has motivated me to keep up the training to get faster, because I want to be there all. the. time. Also, I was coming back from an injury and wasn't in the race shape that I would've preferred, so I appreciated the extra time to make sure I could have fun and still run my race.

Make sure that the race you run for PoT is officially timed (can be chip or hand-timed) and that the results are published on a website. That's pretty much it!

Being in an earlier corral does seem to make the race experience more enjoyable. I have been slowly moving up corrals over the past five years during Marathon Weekend and there is definitely less weaving involved when you come from an earlier corral. I was in Corral B for the 5/10K last Marathon Weekend and still encountered a pretty good number of walkers when catching up to the back end of Corral A, but it was still nicer than when I ran out of Corral D the previous year. There will be walkers that make you question how they were placed in a Corral with or ahead of you no matter where you start. I just accept it as a quirk of these races.

Do a print out of the page after you fill it out in active just in case something goes wonky and you are put in the wrong corral. At least than you'll have proof you did it correctly to show runner relations at the expo.

Just make sure it's a chipped time race as was said above and says that they will have results posted online. You need the link or it's no good.

And slower paced people were probably ahead of you because some who don't submit are randomly put in all corrals and some people put cheater times in so are corralled earlier than they can actually run/walk. I know of a lady who uses a time where she only ran 1/2 of the half she uses, so it's way faster than her actual pace. Also, some bring false info to runner relations to get their corral changed. - So yes, get a good for you POT time and it will make your race more enjoyable starting with those you run similar pace with.

Don't forget just because you passed them walking it doesn't mean they weren't running before or after that. I'm sure there are people that cheat the system all the time, but there are those of us that interval and you could have a good time if you are running and walking your intervals fast enough etc.

When submitting a proof of time - do you just put the link in for the results of the event and they scroll down to find your name? Or should you search your name and then submit that link with only your results? I wasn't sure how long those searchable links are good for.

When submitting a proof of time - do you just put the link in for the results of the event and they scroll down to find your name? Or should you search your name and then submit that link with only your results? I wasn't sure how long those searchable links are good for.

Just put in the link to the general race results listings.

Thank you @Ariel484, @Keels, & all of you who had great advice.... I will work hard to find a 10k I can submit before August. Didn't find much decent on Active.com for the Orlando area. Looks like runningusa.com had more listed!

@Ariel484, I think I spent the first dang 6 miles in the grass. Lol. And def the last few before getting close to the finish line! By the time I was done, my sneakers were covered in grass. Lol.

@Princess_Nikki .......good advice so far. Only tip I can share...not 100% sure if it is accurate......but based on my experience alone:

>submit the fastest time /pace (10k or longer) you have even if the distances don't match up with the event you signed up for.
If your 10k time/pace is faster than your half marathon or marathon pace, use the 10k.

I got stuck in Corral M too, 4 corrals behind my wife because I thought I had to submit a marathon time when a HM time would have sufficed.

Watch out for running on grass, good way to twist an ankle or step in a hole. Don't want you miss out on Dopey18.

@Princess_Nikki .......good advice so far. Only tip I can share...not 100% sure if it is accurate......but based on my experience alone:

>submit the fastest time /pace (10k or longer) you have even if the distances don't match up with the event you signed up for.
If your 10k time/pace is faster than your half marathon or marathon pace, use the 10k.

I got stuck in Corral M too, 4 corrals behind my wife because I thought I had to submit a marathon time when a HM time would have sufficed.

Watch out for running on grass, good way to twist an ankle or step in a hole. Don't want you miss out on Dopey18.

Do not look at just the pace. They do not simply assume you will run the same pace for a 10k for a half. Instead they use the mcmillan calculation to get your time. So the above on submitting the fastest pace no matter the distance is not always correct. Per mcmillan, sometimes a slower pace on a longer distance will net you a better half time and better corral than a faster pace with shorter distance.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate

Don't forget just because you passed them walking it doesn't mean they weren't running before or after that. .... there are those of us that interval and you could have a good time if you are running and walking your intervals fast enough etc.

YES.

Do not look at just the pace. They do not simply assume you will run the same pace for a 10k for a half. Instead they use the mcmillan calculation to get your time. So the above on submitting the fastest pace no matter the distance is not always correct. Per mcmillan, sometimes a slower pace on a longer distance will net you a better half time and better corral than a faster pace with shorter distance.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate

Good point. I meant to say your "adjusted pace" for that distance after you use the calculator.
My paces for a 10k and half are significantly faster, even adjusted, than my marathon times.

I've only run one rundisney weekend, but I feel as if I've run enough huge Chicago races to comment. Yes to earlier corrals! My reasons are:
1) running with people of your own-pace is better/safer than slower. And if you end up going "woah, these people are too fast" just ease over to the right and keep running your pace.
2) the character lines were barely anything out of corral B where I started. Not sure if less people stopping or just less back up accumulated. My total character stoppage time was less than some people waited for one character.
3) You don't have to stand outside as long before your race starts. Great if it is raining or cold. Great for already tired park-feet. Great for weather that gets hotter and sunnier as the morning progresses.

To those talking about people who are walking/going slow in earlier corrals. Think of it this way:
I ran races in Sept of last year at PR levels because I was specifically speed training and focusing on PRing. I can now ride those times for at least a year for POTs. Here's the thing, I'm injured currently. Tendonitis type foot thing. I will be doing run/walk instead of fast running at my next race likely. So I'll start towards the back...because its a local run....but still ahead of the walkers. If it was Disney...I'd be more apt to start in my B corral again...at the back of the corral and to the right side.
ALSO when I ran my WDW race I was purposely running a slower pace to "take it all in" and because it was Jan and my fitness was nowhere near Sept levels.
All races no mater where they are located...people are in corrals based on something they did at one point (their best performance), not on what they plan to do now.

Another good tip is to google the race results for previous years of any race you are interested in. If it is Easy to pull up race results in an easy to read format from 2015 for example. You can feel pretty good about 2016.
Especially if they are searchable and you are able to pull up an individual person on their own link. (vs a long list that is static)

To those talking about people who are walking/going slow in earlier corrals. Think of it this way:
I ran races in Sept of last year at PR levels because I was specifically speed training and focusing on PRing. I can now ride those times for at least a year for POTs. Here's the thing, I'm injured currently. Tendonitis type foot thing. I will be doing run/walk instead of fast running at my next race likely. So I'll start towards the back...because its a local run....but still ahead of the walkers. If it was Disney...I'd be more apt to start in my B corral again...at the back of the corral and to the right side.
ALSO when I ran my WDW race I was purposely running a slower pace to "take it all in" and because it was Jan and my fitness was nowhere near Sept levels.
All races no mater where they are located...people are in corrals based on something they did at one point (their best performance), not on what they plan to do now.

Thank you for posting this. It's exactly what I wanted to point out, but hadn't figured out how to delicately. The other piece that people forget is just how many are running challenges, as well, which generally leads to lower overall pacing. At Marathon Weekend, I ticked both boxes, running the 10k + Goofy while coming off an injury that severely limited my training time.

You know I'm thinking about this too deeply. But I bet you get a lot of people who improve after their initial POT too. So you have a mix of people corralled too slowly now for their better fitness and people corralled too fast for their current fitness or goal. I have no point to my post, I'm just rambling.

You know I'm thinking about this too deeply. But I bet you get a lot of people who improve after their initial POT too. So you have a mix of people corralled too slowly now for their better fitness and people corralled too fast for their current fitness or goal. I have no point to my post, I'm just rambling.

Well, I certainly did! I started slowly training for Princess back when sign ups were in July. I could barely run a 5k then in less than an hour. Since I also had no previous running experiences or races under my belt, I didn't get a chance to do a timed race for a POT for Princess by the required time.

When 5K day came for Princess, I did the 5K in less than 30 minutes. I purposely hustled just to see how I would fare.

I know some runners interval run, but I was definitely passing participants who clearly were only walking. That's ok too, but after researching I think submitting POT's are quite sensible and best for those who don't want to just walk. @roxymama I get what you are saying, lol, as I was hoping my original post made sense myself.

Didn't mean to use the word "walkers" indelicately. Part of the reason I love these races is because of the great atmosphere and the ability for anyone to get out there regardless of ability. My first half marathon and full marathon at WDW I walked about half of each race, something I wouldn't have had the opportunity to do at most races, and I may not have kept running if I had been doing local race and gotten swept.

That said, I was in one of the last 3 corrals in each of those races (where I belonged) and one of my main pet peeves over the years has been the number of corral "cheats" that I see each race. Whether it's to get to characters faster, get a few extra minutes in front of the balloon ladies, hopping forward to run with a friend instead of having them come back, to finish faster to get to the parks earlier, to try to avoid the bottlenecks (that they will now be causing), etc. rD races have quite a few incentives for runners to want to be in earlier corrals. Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of people who are willing bend the rules to achieve that end. The POT system provides people with a logical, equitable, and attainable way to move forward in corrals so it's a bit disappointing to me when people subvert the system to serve their own interests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter