Tipping suggestion on receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.
$1 per drink (beer, cider, wine, mixed drink), $2 per entree is my basic formula. Up or down based on service, how much I ask of the server etc. If you make me sit there for 20 minutes while you talk to your friends at the table behind me you may not get anything from me.

When I I go beer tasting it is $2 per flight.
I'd never do this, since we usually like to return to places we like. :rotfl: Being a cheap tipper when it comes to dinner doesn't curry you any favor with the waitstaff.

The tip amt is generated by the sub total which is before the tax is added. At least in NYC it's illegal to do it any other way in writing.

I like the different tip amts being written on the bill; saves me from having to wonder what the sales tax is in various states.
Depends on where it's generated. I've seen them on itemized receipts as well as on credit card only receipts where there's a chance to add a tip.

As for tipping itself, I never really follow the suggestions. I'm still in the 15% pretax category, although I'll increase it if I received any sort of discount or used some kind of coupon. I might not go exactly to 15% of what I would have paid without a discount, but I would at least up it a little.

I've seen things like special certificates I've used (including from Restaurant.com) where there's a suggestion that any gratuity be based on the price before the certificate is applied.

I'd never do this, since we usually like to return to places we like. :rotfl: Being a cheap tipper when it comes to dinner doesn't curry you any favor with the waitstaff.
I don't do it to be cheap but to be fairer. I am not going to fancy steak houses, usually a brewery. It still usually comes out to about 15% - 20%. It is just a better way to figure the tip. My total usually ends up around $22 - $25 and I tip $4 - $5 depending on service. Most places have such large turn over, I never see that particular server again. If it is a bartender or server I see regularly and they put the amount of effort into service, they would warrant a larger tip.

Last edited:

I'm not a great tipper, but I never stiff anyone. I've generally found that no amount of tipping makes up for being a jerk. In general I've seen I've been treated well when I was relatively low maintenance as a customer.

I guess I'm old and crotchety already, but I think that in most cases, 20% is enough. I typically do 20% on the full bill, including tax and round up to the nearest dollar. But in diners where my food cost is low, I tip a lot more (based on percentage) than that. In this area, that actually makes me a good tipper, so I guess I need to stay out of the big cities.

I remember when 10% and 15% were the norm. Food prices have gone up, so that means that the amount of the tip has gone up even at those percentages. I don't think I need to get to the point where I'm paying a 30%+ tip. Pay the workers a fair amount and raise the prices to compensate. Then I'll decide if those are in line with what I'm willing to pay.

I'm not a great tipper, but I never stiff anyone. I've generally found that no amount of tipping makes up for being a jerk. In general I've seen I've been treated well when I was relatively low maintenance as a customer.
True. Being an ******* doesn't curry you any favor with anyone in the restaurant, either.

$1 per drink (beer, cider, wine, mixed drink), $2 per entree is my basic formula. Up or down based on service, how much I ask of the server etc. If you make me sit there for 20 minutes while you talk to your friends at the table behind me you may not get anything from me.

When I I go beer tasting it is $2 per flight.

I actually like this. We typically do 20%, because we have been conditioned to. But sever’s wages are increasing here, so the expectation of an increased tip percentage is getting annoying. Lots of people work hard, physically demanding jobs too, without tips. I’ve read reports of servers in upscale restaurants making almost a 6 figure salary. While servers in smaller places might work twice as hard with more tables & less consistency with hours. But they make less because the food is less expensive. Doing it your way would be a way to equalize the compensation between them. I’d like that more than tipping extra just because the food costs differ.

As someone living in a country where we do not have tipping - where would be the cut-off point for Americans in regards to tipping? I can't imagine taking my family of 5 out for dinner and having to add an extra 30%+ on top of the bill (even when the bill is slightly cheaper then here at home, the tip would then make it dearer). We never begrudge tipping - the service we receive on the whole is normally light years in front then at home.

As someone living in a country where we do not have tipping - where would be the cut-off point for Americans in regards to tipping? I can't imagine taking my family of 5 out for dinner and having to add an extra 30%+ on top of the bill (even when the bill is slightly cheaper then here at home, the tip would then make it dearer). We never begrudge tipping - the service we receive on the whole is normally light years in front then at home.
It all depends. I've been to countries where tipping isn't commonplace and I've found that often servers seem almost embarrassed if I try to leave a tip. However, it may be different at tourist hotels.

There are some places that have an automatic service charge that goes to the workers. However, those are typically designated for a bunch of staff. It also depends on the particular business. I've been to a few where the service charge was mandatory even if I was dining alone. A lot of places have a required service charge at a certain group size.

What happens to the tips really depends on the particular restaurant. Many it's just going to the servers. Some servers pool tips while others share with the kitchen/bus staff.

:confused3 And can anyone explain how the expected percentage for tips has crept up over the years? Do they all just decide one day we should be shelling out more? The nature of the work hasn't changed and the dollar amount of tips has gone up with the dollar amount of restaurant prices. It feels kinda like being pick-pocketed. I'd also like some answers to @kyton 's question - where will the average customer draw the line?

I actually like this. We typically do 20%, because we have been conditioned to. But sever’s wages are increasing here, so the expectation of an increased tip percentage is getting annoying. Lots of people work hard, physically demanding jobs too, without tips. I’ve read reports of servers in upscale restaurants making almost a 6 figure salary. While servers in smaller places might work twice as hard with more tables & less consistency with hours. But they make less because the food is less expensive. Doing it your way would be a way to equalize the compensation between them. I’d like that more than tipping extra just because the food costs differ.
The compensation shouldn’t be the same. The server who works at the upscale restaurant most likely has more experience than the one at the cheaper restaurant. You have to start somewhere, and for those who make a career out of serving, the way to move up is to move to different restaurants.

Businesses who use iPhones/iPads and the Square app can add in pre-determined tip percentage amounts that you can tap to add to your total when you're cashing out, after your card is swiped. Usually, I see the suggestions of 15%, 18%, and 20% plus each respective dollar amount. But lately, I have noticed more and more businesses making the suggested percentages 22%, 25%, 28% (for example). If someone wants to tip the standard 18-20%, you have to tap "Other" and then either enter your own percentage or dollar amount. And often, the merchant is standing right there watching and waiting for you. It makes it awkward and its a little nefarious to make the set percentages this. I bet it forces some people into just selecting 22% because they don't want to hassle with changing it.

Also, I just purchased tickets to a brunch in Vegas on Sunday to watch football. The tickets were $75 each which is a $75 food and beverage credit. They added 18% when I bought the tickets, and another 35% for "service" the day of. That was a tough one to swallow!

Businesses who use iPhones/iPads and the Square app can add in pre-determined tip percentage amounts that you can tap to add to your total when you're cashing out, after your card is swiped. Usually, I see the suggestions of 15%, 18%, and 20% plus each respective dollar amount. But lately, I have noticed more and more businesses making the suggested percentages 22%, 25%, 28% (for example). If someone wants to tip the standard 18-20%, you have to tap "Other" and then either enter your own percentage or dollar amount. And often, the merchant is standing right there watching and waiting for you. It makes it awkward and its a little nefarious to make the set percentages this. I bet it forces some people into just selecting 22% because they don't want to hassle with changing it.

Also, I just purchased tickets to a brunch in Vegas on Sunday to watch football. The tickets were $75 each which is a $75 food and beverage credit. They added 18% when I bought the tickets, and another 35% for "service" the day of. That was a tough one to swallow!
53% tip?!? That is robbery. Please tell me this wasn’t a buffet...:scared1:

53% tip?!? That is robbery. Please tell me this wasn’t a buffet...:scared1:

LOL luckily it wasn't! The 18% at time of purchase was a "service charge" that I doubt went to our server. She got the 35%. But to be fair, everyone there was tying up their table for the 3+ hours they were there watching the football games. I think this is partially the reason why they up the gratuity, since tables aren't turning over as quickly. But still! LOL!

:confused3 And can anyone explain how the expected percentage for tips has crept up over the years? Do they all just decide one day we should be shelling out more? The nature of the work hasn't changed and the dollar amount of tips has gone up with the dollar amount of restaurant prices. It feels kinda like being pick-pocketed. I'd also like some answers to @kyton 's question - where will the average customer draw the line?

I actually think conversations like this one contribute to it. Reading anything on the Dis and you believe that absolutely EVERYONE tips at least 20% so if you're not doing the same, then you look like a jerk. So people adjust what they've been tipping because they want to follow the norm and not seem cheap.

Knowing many people who have worked as servers in various places, I am certain that everyone does not tip 20%+. Plenty of people don't tip at all or only tip a dollar or two on an entire meal. Some still tip at exactly 10%.

The suggested amounts now listed on the bill certainly also add to the idea that's what's expected. Maybe they are a gentle nudge for the low tippers ($1 doesn't look acceptable when the suggested amount is $15). I can't stand doing things out of obligation, so I tend to be annoyed by the suggested tip amounts.

We do tip on the higher end (sometimes even up to 50%), but we do it because we don't go out often and we feel like being generous to brighten the person's day.

Like a few others have mentioned, it does sometimes bother me when we go to more expensive places (like Disney restaurants) where the quality of food and the service are no different than anywhere else, but the server will receive 3-4x the tip. Those I do tend to just tip the suggested 18% unless there was something particularly outstanding. (Last trip we were a party of 7 doing the deluxe dining plan, so ordering alcohol, apps, and dessert. The minimum tip was around $100 per meal.)

I actually think conversations like this one contribute to it. Reading anything on the Dis and you believe that absolutely EVERYONE tips at least 20% so if you're not doing the same, then you look like a jerk. So people adjust what they've been tipping because they want to follow the norm and not seem cheap.

Knowing many people who have worked as servers in various places, I am certain that everyone does not tip 20%+. Plenty of people don't tip at all or only tip a dollar or two on an entire meal. Some still tip at exactly 10%.

The suggested amounts now listed on the bill certainly also add to the idea that's what's expected. Maybe they are a gentle nudge for the low tippers ($1 doesn't look acceptable when the suggested amount is $15). I can't stand doing things out of obligation, so I tend to be annoyed by the suggested tip amounts.

We do tip on the higher end (sometimes even up to 50%), but we do it because we don't go out often and we feel like being generous to brighten the person's day.

Like a few others have mentioned, it does sometimes bother me when we go to more expensive places (like Disney restaurants) where the quality of food and the service are no different than anywhere else, but the server will receive 3-4x the tip. Those I do tend to just tip the suggested 18% unless there was something particularly outstanding. (Last trip we were a party of 7 doing the deluxe dining plan, so ordering alcohol, apps, and dessert. The minimum tip was around $100 per meal.)
So like so many things, they want the people who do follow norms and tip appropriately to make up for the scumbags who don't.

So like so many things, they want the people who do follow norms and tip appropriately to make up for the scumbags who don't.
Yes. A few places my sister worked people would regularly not tip, but she still had to tip the bartender and busser. So she was technically using her tips from other patrons to pay for the tips that other people should have left but didn't.

I like suggestions on the receipt, but starting at 22%? That's a bit high. For me 15% is standard (and usually even given for relatively bad service). I will usually tip 20% for great service and at places I frequent (and I frequent them because the service is usually great for one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter