Tipping suggestion on receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I refuse to even look at the "suggested" %. I don't tip on a % basis. How much my entree/food costs has NOTHING to do with how much work it is for the server.
I agree with your premise but not sure how to implement. It takes just as much work to bring a salad and glass of water as a steak and glass of wine. Why should the tip be significantly different?

OK, I'll bite:D
What is your formulation for tipping and what do you base it on?

$1 per drink (beer, cider, wine, mixed drink), $2 per entree is my basic formula. Up or down based on service, how much I ask of the server etc. If you make me sit there for 20 minutes while you talk to your friends at the table behind me you may not get anything from me.

When I I go beer tasting it is $2 per flight.

I agree with your premise but not sure how to implement. It takes just as much work to bring a salad and glass of water as a steak and glass of wine. Why should the tip be significantly different?
That is why % doesn't make sense. My tip would be the same whether I order a steak or a salad.

The salad in a lot of places is actually MORE work for the server than the steak, as they put the salad together.

That is why % doesn't make sense. My tip would be the same whether I order a steak or a salad.

The salad in a lot of places is actually MORE work for the server than the steak, as they put the salad together.
So you base it on how many items you order. I can't say I think it's fair but as long as you do it's all good.

I can't think of anyplace I've eaten at in the last 30+ years where the wait staff makes the salad but I do know that some eateries have the salad pre plated by kitchen staff and then the servers just pick it up from a shelf in a refrigerated unit. Wait, I can think of some recent places where the server makes the salad! One, at WDW, Paddlefish, the lobster guacamole is made table-side.
A freshly made Caesar salad is always fun to watch as well:).

Last edited:

Yeah I don't really pay attention to suggested amts.

I tip off pre-tax, pre-coupon (if that's relevant).

Some places suggested is off of pre-tax but more often than not it's off of post-tax IME. I forget which restaurant but one of the ones that uses the table machines where you can do it yourself definitely says it's pre-tax.

IMO 28% is just way too high for suggested, even 24% is for me and 22% is pushing it when that's the starting point. It's not as offputting to see more normal-ish of 18%, 20%, then 22%.

It seems as fair or more fair than a % which is arbitrary.
And yet it’s what is the norm. More expensive restaurants tend to have better staff, and the servers have fewer tables. One restaurant dd23 worked at wouldn’t allow workers to be servers until they worked as bussers or hosts for at least a year. Servers tip the bartenders based upon the amount of alcohol served. Tipping percentages isn’t perfect, but it’s kind of what folks agree on when they choose to eat out in the US.

And yet it’s what is the norm. More expensive restaurants tend to have better staff, and the servers have fewer tables. One restaurant dd23 worked at wouldn’t allow workers to be servers until they worked as bussers or hosts for at least a year. Servers tip the bartenders based upon the amount of alcohol served. Tipping percentages isn’t perfect, but it’s kind of what folks agree on when they choose to eat out in the US.

i think that can depend on the customer base of the restaurant-places that rely on locals vs. the tourist/in frequent locals. the place i did bookkeeping for owned 2 places in the napa area. one was where the locals went while the other's primary income stream was tourists w/the exception of someone celebrating something or wanting to overpay to impress a date. my desk was in the owner's office and i overheard all the staffing decisions-tourist place wait staff was chosen based on being (1) attractive in an upscale way, and (2) being able to upsale (push the most expensive appetizers, desserts and overpriced wines). tourist place had a mix of the better skilled and better looking (as in hot/sexy) servers b/c the locals wouldn't come back to a place with bad service and the locals were more apt to spend money at the very large bar/appetizer area if there was 'good scenery'.

Also, people forget that the waitstaff have to tip out the bartenders and bussers in most places, too; it's not like your server gets the entire tip you leave.

Honestly, tipping is archaic and stupid. Just pay people a reasonable wage! IME the possibility of a tip makes no difference in the service I get at most places. Wait staff either take pride in their work and do a good job, or they don't care and it shows- and most people feel pressured into tipping at LEAST 15%, even when the service doesn't warrant a penny!

Also, people forget that the waitstaff have to tip out the bartenders and bussers in most places, too; it's not like your server gets the entire tip you leave.

Honestly, tipping is archaic and stupid. Just pay people a reasonable wage! IME the possibility of a tip makes no difference in the service I get at most places. Wait staff either take pride in their work and do a good job, or they don't care and it shows- and most people feel pressured into tipping at LEAST 15%, even when the service doesn't warrant a penny!
Now if the service doesn't warrant tipping I've no problem leaving none- we all have to work for our money. On the other hand I don't stiff the server because ....I had to wait before being seated, I didn't like the taste of the food, basically anything that's not the provenance of the waitstaff.

This. Some people take every aspect of a less than perfect dining experience out on the server.
Which I agree is not fair. Waiting for a table in a busy restaurant - not the servers fault. Being out of the special - not the servers fault. Being ignored for 20 minutes as the server talks to & takes care of a table of friends 100% the servers fault.

I have definitely seen the tip figured at some places before tax, and others including the tax.
It is interesting to hear not all places pay below minimum wage to servers. In my area they are, and I have just always assumed this was done everywhere. The argument in favor of larger tip percentages is often made based upon receiving low wages. Is this also the rationale used in places where servers are not paid below minimum wage?
Nope. The rational is that it’s “customary”. Hard eye roll because server wages here are at least the legal minimum of $15/hr.

DH & I went out tonight to a new place in town and on receipt the suggestion was 22%. 24% and 28%. I thought that was a bit high. I am about a 20% minimum tipper. We were a group of 8 and tip was not added.

Geez. I might be dating myself here but when I was a kid, average tip was around 15%. Then it became 18, then 20. Now 20 is considered a minimum tip. Soon people will be expecting 50% tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter