• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping suggestion on receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if someone tips 15%, don't you think they're "cheap"? Don't I remember you saying that previously? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.
18%-20% is that standard here for decent to good service...so yeah if you purposely put forth a lot of effort to go through the mental exercise of doing the math to make sure not to tip a dime over 15% of the bill before tax to save $.80.

18%-20% is that standard here for decent to good service...so yeah if you purposely put forth a lot of effort to go through the mental exercise of doing the math to make sure not to tip a dime over 15% of the bill before tax to save $.80.
So someone who tips 5% less than you is "cheap", but someone who tips 5% more than you shouldn't consider you "cheap". Got it.

FWIW, calculating 15% is about as easy as calculating 20%.

So someone who tips 5% less than you is "cheap", but someone who tips 5% more than you shouldn't consider you "cheap". Got it.

FWIW, calculating 15% is about as easy as calculating 20%.
Goodness...what makes it cheap imo is the attitude to only tip 15% b/c someone believes that’s how it should be even if that’s not the standard where they are & it only saves them very little money.

Goodness...what makes it cheap imo is the attitude to only tip 15% b/c someone believes that’s how it should be even if that’s not the standard where they are & it only saves them very little money.

But just because something is standard does not mean that everyone or anyone has to conform to it. It is standard practice to exchange gifts on holidays, I choose not to. Not because I am being cheap or am trying to be a nonconformist but because that is what works for me & my family. I tip not on a % but on how much work my party is for the server and how attentive the server is. It works for me.

They can suggest all that they want. I tip based on service and am able to do basic math. For good service, it’s 20%. It will go up or down from there.

Ate at a bar/restaurant last friday night, tip suggestion at the bottom was 15% 18% and 20%. I'll agree with op, 22, 24 and 28 is a little high.

I had an interesting tipping suggestion tonight on my receipt that was very unfair to our server. We had a $25 giftcard to a local place. We went there Saturday night and our bill was $48. She took the $25 gift card off and then ran my debit card for the $28.xx remaining. The tipping suggestions on the bottom of the receipt were only for the portion run on the debit card. If someone was in a hurry and just jotted down the suggested amount, the server would have gotten a much lower tip. I noticed it and tipped her on the full $48.

I just thought it was strange that the computer printed it out that way.

I had an interesting tipping suggestion tonight on my receipt that was very unfair to our server. We had a $25 giftcard to a local place. We went there Saturday night and our bill was $48. She took the $25 gift card off and then ran my debit card for the $28.xx remaining. The tipping suggestions on the bottom of the receipt were only for the portion run on the debit card. If someone was in a hurry and just jotted down the suggested amount, the server would have gotten a much lower tip. I noticed it and tipped her on the full $48.

I just thought it was strange that the computer printed it out that way.
It was because she did only run the card for the net. Most restaurants give you a slip before they run the card. So the suggested tip are on the total.

And ate at a restaurant on Saturday I've never been to. 3 of us, bill came to only $56 total. I wasn't the one paying, so said I got the tip.

The food, well, states on the menu homemade salad included in the meal. The salad tasted like plastic. It was clearly bagged salad and tasted horrible. I had a Sprite. Tasted like chemicals and was watered down. The waiter came twice and refilled our drinks, highly unusually these days. Normally you see your server when they bring you drinks, then again when they bring you food and that's it. That's what is typical in my experience these days.

I had battered fried shrimp, terrible. It was mostly heavily fried batter so thick you couldn't taste the shrimp. Garlic mashed potatoes were tasteless. I don't normally complain about food, I just vote with my dollars and I'll never go to this restaurant again.

That said, the waiter brought our drinks and came by for our order. Then we saw him again when he brought us a refill. 3rd time we saw him was to apologize that he realized the wait was a little long. That never happens anymore. No big deal to us as we were wasting time to go pick up my other daughter at the school dance anyways. He came back with more bread, something that never happens anymore either.

Food came and he brought another refill of drinks. The place was packed full, almost reservation only (shocked at that after we got the food) and the guy was busy. I dropped a $20 bill on the table. Food sucked, but the waiter was great. The floor manager stopped at the table at the end of the meal and I told him our waiter was great as well. Didn't say anything about the food because a restaurant isn't going to switch to quality food from prepackaged and frozen just because I said it was terrible.

Didn't say anything about the food because a restaurant isn't going to switch to quality food from prepackaged and frozen just because I said it was terrible.
I'm sure they won't switch based on one person, but you might be the 1st, 10th, 50th, whatever and could be the straw that broke the camel's back. I think you should have said something.

I always think of the tipping discussion scene in Reservoir Dogs whenever one of these tipping threads comes up.

200.gif

I was annoyed last week that my suggested tips were calculated on the total including souvenir mugs at Disney (Oga's, Trader Sam's). Why should I be tipping my server on a $30 mug?

We were at Oga’s in August for the AP previews & got one of the souvenir mugs too. I never thought to check that, just tipped on the total. I don’t think we’ve ever gotten a souvenir mug or glass before. I’ll have to keep that in mind going forward.

We were at Oga’s in August for the AP previews & got one of the souvenir mugs too. I never thought to check that, just tipped on the total. I don’t think we’ve ever gotten a souvenir mug or glass before. I’ll have to keep that in mind going forward.

I'm sure I've done it a few times at Trader Sam's after I've had a few. At Oga's the drink and mug are one line item, which probably makes it harder to separate out in the system. At Trader Sam's they're separate line items.

Our first time at Oga's they were out of the Yub Nub mugs so the drink was $15, when they had the mugs in stock it was $45 and it sounded like they'll charge you the full price whether you want the mug or not. So that time I knocked $30 off the total before calculating the tip.

Tipping is personal. Tipping is never required...its an add on if one feels the need to do it. Some tip a lot.. some tip normal..some dont tip. Either way, the sun WILL come up tomorrow.
If we get good service....i'll tip 15%. If it's bad......a whole lot less.
There is no such thing as a cheap tip or not. If a server isn't happy with the tips they get...thats their issue to deal with. The person eating or doing the tipping has the right to tip what they want.

There's currently a story going around about a well-known social media presence gripping that health insurance for employees was included as part of his bill (he spent $85 on food, is not pleased by the $1.68 noted going toward that). A few of you might want to Google that place to make sure you don't go there, lol.

Tipping is personal. Tipping is never required...its an add on if one feels the need to do it. Some tip a lot.. some tip normal..some dont tip. Either way, the sun WILL come up tomorrow.
If we get good service....i'll tip 15%. If it's bad......a whole lot less.
There is no such thing as a cheap tip or not. If a server isn't happy with the tips they get...thats their issue to deal with. The person eating or doing the tipping has the right to tip what they want.

And if a server isn't happy with the tips they get from you and you show up again next week, they'll probably remember! So if you make a habit of being proudly anti-tip, you probably better spread your business around.

There's currently a story going around about a well-known social media presence gripping that health insurance for employees was included as part of his bill (he spent $85 on food, is not pleased by the $1.68 noted going toward that). A few of you might want to Google that place to make sure you don't go there, lol.
I've had it added to my bill at a airport restaurant in SF. I don't think it should be an add on. The restaurant should just raise the menu prices by the 2% or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter