Tipping suggestion on receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes as a matter of fact it applies in all situations.

Any I’ve never even thought to tip a delivery person. Or the mail person. The UPS person. The trash pick up people. Or any of a number of people that some feel the need to tip.

Huh. I never thought NOT to tip the guy who carried a fridge up three floors and then carried the even heavier old one out.

Mail carriers and UPS/FedEx delivery drivers get paid a he'll of a lot better than restaurant servers. Mail carriers can accept gifts under $25. Not aware whether the other companies have tipping policies.

there are none where it's customary to at least tip at Christmas. If you choose not to, that's your business. But to equate your $25+ an hour mail carrier with serious benefits to your $2.13 per hour server's base pay is, I just don't have acceptable words. I'll just go with disingenuous

Huh. I never thought NOT to tip the guy who carried a fridge up three floors and then carried the even heavier old one out.
I also don’t worry about how much money other ppl make. In Nola, it’s customary for servers to make a lot of $ working in fine dining places like Commanders Palace. I don’t know if they make more then me, but it doesn’t matter b/c I have no desire to wait tables & work those hours. I don’t tip ppl as a charity, but as part of a social norm, if you will. I don’t need to see ppl’s IRS adjusted gross income before I decide if they deserve a decent tip or not. I base it on the service they provided period. Also, we are regulars at a lot of local places. We get treated well when we go to these places so it might be different for ppl who don’t dine out that way.

But to equate your $25+ an hour mail carrier with serious benefits to your $2.13 per hour server's base pay is, I just don't have acceptable words. I'll just go with disingenuous
But I am not comparing it to a sever who is paid $11+ hour (here) I was comparing it to a delivery driver who is likely paid $15+

It is cheap to you & you are entitled to have that opinion and do what you feel is right. It is not okay to call others cheap for feeling differently than you.
No I agree except that if i believe it’s being cheap then it would apply to anyone I know he admits they do it. There is no way to separate the two.

B/c for me, the one way is just being cheap & that’s one of my pet peeves.
You've mentioned this numerous times - I'm fascinated to know what experiences you've had that has made this such a significant issue for you.

You've mentioned this numerous times - I'm fascinated to know what experiences you've had that has made this such a significant issue for you.
I guess ppl I’ve known/know irl? Don’t we all have pet peeves there aren’t necessarily linked to some major life experiences?

I guess ppl I’ve known/know irl? Don’t we all have pet peeves there aren’t necessarily linked to some major life experiences?
Not so much, really. :confused3 We've had lots of pet-peeve threads and I'd say most people could explain why they don't like any given thing - usually because of the way it effects them personally.

No I agree except that if i believe it’s being cheap then it would apply to anyone I know he admits they do it. There is no way to separate the two.
Honestly, you give the impression that you are giving then the extra $1 or whatever because you feel they need it more than you do. That they are almost charity cases.

Here's a little story that makes me feel differently:
I was sitting at the bar of a local pizza place and two servers are having a conversation (not trying to be quite or secretive about it). Server 1 tells Server 2 that yesterday was super slow, she ONLY took home $100 in tips. That $100 is in addition to the $11/hr she made. Not bad for what was likely a 4 hour shift. Certainly more per hour than I and many others make.

Honestly, you give the impression that you are giving then the extra $1 or whatever because you feel they need it more than you do. That they are almost charity cases.

Here's a little story that makes me feel differently:
I was sitting at the bar of a local pizza place and two servers are having a conversation (not trying to be quite or secretive about it). Server 1 tells Server 2 that yesterday was super slow, she ONLY took home $100 in tips. That $100 is in addition to the $11/hr she made. Not bad for what was likely a 4 hour shift. Certainly more per hour than I and many others make.
And I think maybe you & some other ppl get too hung up on how much servers may make compared to them. I don’t worry about that. If they provide good service, I tip the standard 18%-20%. That’s is still the standard here. Do you worry about how much everyone who provides you with a service makes compared to you? I feel I’m adequately paid for the work I do so I don’t care what other ppl get paid. To me it sounds like you’re saying that you think you’re better & the work you do is harder or requires more skill or whatever so someone who is a server shouldn’t get paid more than you.

And I think maybe you & some other ppl get too hung up on how much servers may make compared to them.
I agree people do get to hung up on how much servers make. How many times has it been said on this thread HOW LITTLE they make. It's why so many feel they have to tip so much regardless of the service. I just seen the other side of it and don't think of being a server as a low paid job. And don't feel a need to tip in a certain why/amount because it is expected or as you said "standard."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter