• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping during covid?

I went this weekend to the resorts I dropped 10$ to the porter and 10 to housekeeping for DVC (all the cash I had) as far as the 2 restaurants we went to I just doubled the tables in wonderland tip and said welcome back. Back to take out only for me I still have mixed feelings on dinning out in general.
Of all the things upcoming with our trip, dining is my biggest concern. How did you think it was handled?

Of all the things upcoming with our trip, dining is my biggest concern. How did you think it was handled?
TBH what I've seen on "social" I think Disney handled this very well I don't think I could have thrown something at the tables, for dinner at the wave it was a little more crowded I know it's in my head but they did a very good job of keeping everyone apart. Olivias had 3 people in it. The Wave seemed more crowded they accommodated us when we didn't want to sit up front when everyone walked by. The only thing I noticed is even though they asked you to keep your mask on until you had food in front of you and the waiter/waitress said it was okay some people didn't follow it (i was obsessively people watching lol) but most did. I feel this is better than what I've seen at least around Orlando. Also, I noticed the waitress at both meals seemed just as nervous as we did. I know it will change in the future but I'm back to take out now. everyone was also wearing masks around property one guy had it around his chin no one said anything eventually we saw him put it back up. Another lady seemed like she was pretending to drink from an empty bottle, and had a mask around her ear. (to me this seemed like way more effort). One family rushed me in the elevator and the guy shouted he didn't care about the rules (not this nicely). They had signs saying one party per elevator everywhere just not in the elevator. I promptly exited the elevator and waited for a new one. All and all though I think they followed it very well and I could just be too cautious. Besides these 3 people, everyone seemed to be following the rules which were awesome.

Last edited:
What's going to be a reasonable tip for mousekeeping in August at Pop? We are usually generous but I know they are limiting service and only coming every other day. I want to acknowledge the risks they're taking for us to stay safe. What are you planning to do?
I have no plan to return until there's a vaccine. However, if I were there, I would double my normal tip considering the fact that these people have to clean more deeply than before, and they have been out of work for an extended period of time. The least I could do is leave a generous tip.

Last edited:
I have no plan to return until there's a vaccine. However, if I were there, I would double my normal considering the fact that these people have to clean more deeply than before, and they have been out of work for an extended period of time. The least I could do is leave a generous tip.
TBH also I felt safer there then ANYWHERE else i have ventured too probably because more people were actually following the rules.

I hadn't thought much about this subject, so I'm glad this string was brought up. We usually tip in cash, so I think I'm going to get some small bills now and quarantine them until our August trip. It might not make everyone I tip feel better, but I will feel better knowing i'm not giving out COVID-cash. :)

I was planning on taking gift cards this trip. Does anyone know if you can tip from a gift card?

I hadn't thought much about this subject, so I'm glad this string was brought up. We usually tip in cash, so I think I'm going to get some small bills now and quarantine them until our August trip. It might not make everyone I tip feel better, but I will feel better knowing i'm not giving out COVID-cash. :)

I was planning on taking gift cards this trip. Does anyone know if you can tip from a gift card?
Just wrap a strip of paper around the cash that says "Sanitized for your protection".

yeah, my 2 10$ bills were before all this I can't even remember when a good idea.

If you aren’t tipping because the brochure or union says it isn’t a tipped position, I guess that’s your prerogative. I feel I can make a personal decision based on the level of service someone provides and I would have to say the person cleaning my room is quite possibly the most personal and greatest amount of service I would experience each day.

So funny I was wondering if this would be the end of the tipping culture in the US this morning!

As Aussie, while there I absolutely tip everyone (because I know I don’t know who to) but TBH it’s what I like least about being in the US.

What's going to be a reasonable tip for mousekeeping in August at Pop? We are usually generous but I know they are limiting service and only coming every other day. I want to acknowledge the risks they're taking for us to stay safe. What are you planning to do?
$20 per night that they actually show up. They've been out of work for months and their job is more stressful than ever. I figure if I can afford a Disney resort, I can afford to generously tip housekeeping.

Last edited:
As Aussie, while there I absolutely tip everyone (because I know I don’t know who to) but TBH it’s what I like least about being in the US.

My point about saying that housekeeping being a non-tipped position is to let people know that tipping is not required. Some people choose to tip/overtip anyway, and that is their prerogative, but you don't have to.

I have had great housekeeping service and I tipped for that. I have had mediocre service and tipped nothing. Tipping is always optional and you should base it on service received. If I make any special requests, I will always tip a few dollars for that (extra towels delivered, etc).

Coming back to this... Does anyone know which days housekeeping comes? I know it's every other, but say we're checking in Friday night. Do they come next on Sunday? I don't want to leave cash out just for the random room checks it sounds like they're doing.

Coming back to this... Does anyone know which days housekeeping comes? I know it's every other, but say we're checking in Friday night. Do they come next on Sunday? I don't want to leave cash out just for the random room checks it sounds like they're doing.
If you are paying cash, yes, it should be on Sunday. If you are staying on DVC points, it won't be until Monday.

Tip as much as you can! They make so little to begin with, and extra would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure.

In general I have been tipping more for restaurants and even to go orders (which is mostly what we have done). Usually tip 20% on restaurants been averaging 30%. If its a small bill sometimes higher. If a couple extra bucks helps the person and they know I appreciate their work, I think its worth it.

For housekeeping I’m not sure. Personally what ever you normally tip I would do the same if not more. While they may not be doing much cleaning while you are there, they are cleaning before you check in to keep you safe and again I’m sure they appreciate It.

We usually do 5% the nightly rate unless there is a reason to tip a bit more. I am not sure why we do it this way, but this is what I was taught by my mom and my husband has just followed my lead. We bring envelopes for each day and place it on the night stand or desk for the housekeeper with the tip and a thank you note.

Put the cash tip in a sealed Ziplock snack-size bag. The recipient can leave the bag in their car for a day in the Florida sun and it will be adequately sanitized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter