Time to say Goodbye for Now....

A 10-14 day trip to Europe could easily be less than a 1 week Disney trip. If you/your family have never gone to Europe, I highly recommend skipping Disney and doing Europe instead. You could even squeeze in a day or two at Disneyland Paris and still be much cheaper than WDW. DP tix are actually not that expensive.
If you stay onsite at Disney maybe? If you are budget Orlando travelers like we are who stay offsite (e.g. great deal on offsite timeshare rental), only do three park days and for other days do chill out resort days and nature activities, can get inexpensive or freebie flights to Orlando, can find great deals on rental cars, do a bunch of meals in like we do, a week long trip to Europe (seven/eight days) is more than double when I crunch the numbers than a week in Orlando.

Orlando is pretty darn inexpensive if you stay offsite and only do a few park days (one of the most inexpensive places I travel to). I'm not saying, not to go to Europe. I'm just stating budget realities for my family the way we do Orlando vs. what a trip to Europe costs us.

In the market where we live, air is a huge part of that. For a week long trip to Europe 1/3 of the cost will be airfare. And really for me it will even be higher than that because for such a long flight, I usually upgrade to premium economy to make that really long flight a little more pleasant (a little extra space and leg room).

Last edited:
If you stay onsite at Disney maybe? If you are budget Orlando travelers like we are who stay offsite (e.g. great deal on offsite timeshare rental), only do three park days and for other days do chill out resort days and nature activities, can get inexpensive or freebie flights to Orlando, can find great deals on rental cars, do a bunch of meals in like we do, a week long trip to Europe (seven/eight days) is more than double when I crunch the numbers than a week in Orlando.

Orlando is pretty darn inexpensive if you stay offsite and only do a few park days (one of the most inexpensive places I travel to). I'm not saying, not to go to Europe. I'm just stating budget realities for my family the way we do Orlando vs. what a trip to Europe costs us.

In the market where we live, air is a huge part of that. For a week long trip to Europe 1/3 of the cost will be airfare. And really for me it will even be higher than that because for such a long flight, I usually upgrade to premium economy to make that really long flight a little more pleasant (a little extra space and leg room).
Yes, I agree. I should have specified that I was comparing the cost of Europe to an onsite Disney stay.

I completely agree. We had a trip scheduled pre covid, so we still have tickets that we have to use. If it wasn't for that, we woudn't be going anymore either.

Our Disney trips have evolved over the past 50 years. Poly, CR, tree houses in the 70's, no trips in the 80's, offsite in the 90's, lots of on-site trips until recently. It was so easy to rent DVC points on the Disboards. We loved the length of stay tickets. Remember when you could add a 5th day for like $10??

We got a little travel trailer and now stay at Fort Wilderness. I love that place! It can be a vacation on it's own. FW is a hub of activity!! Lots of locals camping for the weekend. Kids on bikes and scooters everywhere! Nice swimming pool, food trucks, excellent fried chicken at P&Js, clean, beautiful landscaping, safe, campfire every night with a movie, wildlife, hiking trails, nightly MK fireworks from the boat dock with the music. One could have a great vacation without going to the parks.

The campsites can be pricey but each site accommodates 10 people. We double up with friends in a tent behind the camper. Off-season, the cost of a campsite is less than $100 per night. Sometimes it's difficult to get a reservations but people cancel.

And, the gas prices.....

Disney park tickets are way expensive but that's the trend. I am a snow skier and lift tickets at some resorts are over $200 per day. We have an IKON pass or else there'd be no way I could afford to ski.

Disney resorts are TOO EXPENSIVE! We had some good rates on deluxe rooms in the past but not anymore.

Just saying, I've not given up on Disney yet. I hate the money grab. I've not used Genie+ but attractions are not a priority for DH and myself. My kids are grown.

I love Disney but not theme parks in general. Universal is not on my radar at all.

campsite FW.jpg

We moved on quite some time ago, and trust me, there is life after Disney, Just look at it as an opportunity to see the rest of this wonderful country. We have discovered so much after we stopped buying annual passes to Disneyworld.

First we switched to the Seaworld parks, where a few hundred dollars a year got us amazing experiences at Seaworld, Aquatica (our favorite day in the Orlando area), and Busch Gardens. They were magical at Christmas, but now
even those have changed.

Now we moved on to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MissourI. For $145/year, we get unlimited visits to their many festivals. They get voted best theme park at Christmas since they have over 6.5 million lights. They bought the lights that used to be at Studios and it is so nice to see them again In such a festive, beautiful place staffed by wonderful employees.

Their entertainment is great. The Bluegrass festival offers free concerts every day they are open for the entire month of May. Their food is good, but the rides are not anywhere near what Disney offers. We just enjoy the concerts and the beauty of the park. Wait times are breaking records this year, but it is hard to predict which days will be busy. They are also understaffed this year, so it will be a bit of a challenge for them just like everywhere else.

We discovered the nearby Big Cedar Resort, built by the owner of Bass Pro Shops, with endless activities, many pools, a lazy river, boats for rent and a timeshare next to it where I can snap up amazing condos for as little as $16/night. It is every bit as nice as the resorts at Disney. It is very similar to Wilderness Lodge. He built a world class aquarium an hour away in Springfield Mo. that we also love.

We discovered a nice water park near our house that we never even considered in our days visiting Aquatica. Zoos and gardens replaced the Animal Kingdom. Cave tours, museums and travel to new places give us the adventure we used to feel in the parks.

We still have the wonderful memories we made on our frequent visits to the most magical place on earth. But now we have a whole new set of wonderful memories at places we never would have experienced if we did not move on from the Disney parks.

We moved on quite some time ago, and trust me, there is life after Disney, Just look at it as an opportunity to see the rest of this wonderful country. We have discovered so much after we stopped buying annual passes to Disneyworld.

First we switched to the Seaworld parks, where a few hundred dollars a year got us amazing experiences at Seaworld, Aquatica (our favorite day in the Orlando area), and Busch Gardens. They were magical at Christmas, but now
even those have changed.

Now we moved on to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MissourI. For $145/year, we get unlimited visits to their many festivals. They get voted best theme park at Christmas since they have over 6.5 million lights. They bought the lights that used to be at Studios and it is so nice to see them again In such a festive, beautiful place staffed by wonderful employees.

Their entertainment is great. The Bluegrass festival offers free concerts every day they are open for the entire month of May. Their food is good, but the rides are not anywhere near what Disney offers. We just enjoy the concerts and the beauty of the park. Wait times are breaking records this year, but it is hard to predict which days will be busy. They are also understaffed this year, so it will be a bit of a challenge for them just like everywhere else.

We discovered the nearby Big Cedar Resort, built by the owner of Bass Pro Shops, with endless activities, many pools, a lazy river, boats for rent and a timeshare next to it where I can snap up amazing condos for as little as $16/night. It is every bit as nice as the resorts at Disney. It is very similar to Wilderness Lodge. He built a world class aquarium an hour away in Springfield Mo. that we also love.

We discovered a nice water park near our house that we never even considered in our days visiting Aquatica. Zoos and gardens replaced the Animal Kingdom. Cave tours, museums and travel to new places give us the adventure we used to feel in the parks.

We still have the wonderful memories we made on our frequent visits to the most magical place on earth. But now we have a whole new set of wonderful memories at places we never would have experienced if we did not move on from the Disney parks.
What is the name of the timeshare if you don’t mind me asking. And can you use the amenities at big cedar resort if you don’t stay there?

Thanks for support and input. It feels good to not be alone and explore other options with other Disney fans. I managed to purchase 2 APs for Universal for $200 each with my military discount. What a steal!

I totally see what you mean. I really hate when companies screw people over for profit and it feels very much like DW is doing that now.

For me (early 40s, kids late elementary/early middle), I'm kind of on the upswing of a Disney kick. We went every few years when I was a kid and we had the best time together. My siblings have been going regularly but my husband doesn't love DW. I managed to rope him into a couple of trips when the kids were little by inviting his brother along, hehe, but then just when we were planning to go back, the pandemic hit.

So we finally went over Christmas this year; my youngest didn't even remember going before. My siblings came too and we just had so much fun. So we decided to go back over Spring Break, lol. And I would go back again, but my ace in the hole is that my sister is so good at navigating Genie+ and LLs. And I use *********** to get us reservations. It takes SO MUCH work just to be able to get on rides and into restaurants, and to decide ahead of time which park you'll be at when.

We're going to Universal soon, and I am looking forward to waking up when I want and having unlimited fast passes. I imagine the rigamarole Disney puts you through will seem even less reasonable once we've experienced Universal.

I totally see what you mean. I really hate when companies screw people over for profit and it feels very much like DW is doing that now.

For me (early 40s, kids late elementary/early middle), I'm kind of on the upswing of a Disney kick. We went every few years when I was a kid and we had the best time together. My siblings have been going regularly but my husband doesn't love DW. I managed to rope him into a couple of trips when the kids were little by inviting his brother along, hehe, but then just when we were planning to go back, the pandemic hit.

So we finally went over Christmas this year; my youngest didn't even remember going before. My siblings came too and we just had so much fun. So we decided to go back over Spring Break, lol. And I would go back again, but my ace in the hole is that my sister is so good at navigating Genie+ and LLs. And I use *********** to get us reservations. It takes SO MUCH work just to be able to get on rides and into restaurants, and to decide ahead of time which park you'll be at when.

We're going to Universal soon, and I am looking forward to waking up when I want and having unlimited fast passes. I imagine the rigamarole Disney puts you through will seem even less reasonable once we've experienced Universal.
Sounds positive, but what do you mean by "And I use ********* to get us reservations?"

It appears you attempted to post the name of a banned website/company.

Sounds positive, but what do you mean by "And I use ********* to get us reservations?"
I use a pay service where you get email alerts of restaurant openings . . . for some reason it blocked the name. I guess it's not allowed here.

It took me a lot of time and effort to get dining reservations for our whole party especially over Christmas.

Thanks for support and input. It feels good to not be alone and explore other options with other Disney fans. I managed to purchase 2 APs for Universal for $200 each with my military discount. What a steal!
We’re going I May in and I had to rent points to make it happen. I think this will be our last trip for a very long time. We live closer to DL and I never thought I’d say this but I think it’s a much better value.

A 10-14 day trip to Europe could easily be less than a 1 week Disney trip. If you/your family have never gone to Europe, I highly recommend skipping Disney and doing Europe instead. You could even squeeze in a day or two at Disneyland Paris and still be much cheaper than WDW. DP tix are actually not that expensive.
I agree with this especially if you do a non Disney cruise in Europe. You can find some great deals. If your ok going coach you can even find deals on airfare and there’s lots of ways to rack up miles for free airfare.

Europe can be tricky if your doing a land based trip as a family. European hotel rooms are not quite like American hotel rooms.

Our Disney trips have evolved over the past 50 years. Poly, CR, tree houses in the 70's, no trips in the 80's, offsite in the 90's, lots of on-site trips until recently. It was so easy to rent DVC points on the Disboards. We loved the length of stay tickets. Remember when you could add a 5th day for like $10??

We got a little travel trailer and now stay at Fort Wilderness. I love that place! It can be a vacation on it's own. FW is a hub of activity!! Lots of locals camping for the weekend. Kids on bikes and scooters everywhere! Nice swimming pool, food trucks, excellent fried chicken at P&Js, clean, beautiful landscaping, safe, campfire every night with a movie, wildlife, hiking trails, nightly MK fireworks from the boat dock with the music. One could have a great vacation without going to the parks.

The campsites can be pricey but each site accommodates 10 people. We double up with friends in a tent behind the camper. Off-season, the cost of a campsite is less than $100 per night. Sometimes it's difficult to get a reservations but people cancel.

And, the gas prices.....

Disney park tickets are way expensive but that's the trend. I am a snow skier and lift tickets at some resorts are over $200 per day. We have an IKON pass or else there'd be no way I could afford to ski.

Disney resorts are TOO EXPENSIVE! We had some good rates on deluxe rooms in the past but not anymore.

Just saying, I've not given up on Disney yet. I hate the money grab. I've not used Genie+ but attractions are not a priority for DH and myself. My kids are grown.

I love Disney but not theme parks in general. Universal is not on my radar at all.

View attachment 662987
I've been thinking of what to say in response to this for awhile. I'm glad you've found a solution that works for you.
Here are my thoughts: Your response feeds into my point about Disney becoming "Versailles." It seems you are fighting tooth and nail to get a camping reservation, which includes what, electricity and water? (Pardon me, but I've never camped like that before). So you're going to cram up to 10 people to make it affordable to sleep in tents and be outdoors most of the time? Couldn't you find larger campsites with better views and accommodations for much less? I will admit, I'm being biased because this is not my idea of a fun Disney vacation and I'd need a hotel room. Regardless, you are fighting for a reservation and paying top dollar to be crowded and outdoors. You're paying more for less, just like the rest of the WDW Resort.

even those have changed.

I'm saving this for future reference!

This isn't going to be a rant post or an expression of jealousy to those who can afford wdw. I wish anyone who can afford to visit the magic and still loves it as I had once for decades, nothing but the best.

I came to the heartbreaking decision to decline my trip this year. My parents moved to Kissimee and have AP, so parking/transportation and lodgings are no issue. Even with this, I cannot afford 1 day park hopper with military discount.

One of the major factors in my decision, was decline in quality. On my last trip, I was constantly glued to my phone to make reservations/food orders. My dad even paid for LL, but still some were unavailable. I feel as though wdw has transitioned to Versaille and now the wealthiest are paying just to see King Louis XIV wipe his bum/go to sleep for the night. I miss the days of paying for quality entertainment. I spent days thinking about my decision listening to Horizon and Wonders of Life Pavillion music, realizing this isn't the current reality and I have to let it go. I will also attach a video that sums up my feelings.
Even though Universal is charging about the same for Park 2 Park ticket ($20 cheaper), I feel the value is greater and worth my time from now on. Thanks for coming to my wdw sentimental eulogy.

Summary of my Feelings Towards Disney
m

This isn't going to be a rant post or an expression of jealousy to those who can afford wdw. I wish anyone who can afford to visit the magic and still loves it as I had once for decades, nothing but the best.

I came to the heartbreaking decision to decline my trip this year. My parents moved to Kissimee and have AP, so parking/transportation and lodgings are no issue. Even with this, I cannot afford 1 day park hopper with military discount.

One of the major factors in my decision, was decline in quality. ..

I am still going, at least once more. I plan to be strategic about the magic...I wont stress about dining, wont buy LL or Genie..it offends me to even consider..the cost and being forced into my cell.nope nope nope. I know how to tour without needing! In the end for.me when I look back it was never fastpass or fast /big attractions access that brought the magic. People watching small children and their wonder, shows, parades and the classics like the Tiki Birds, getting tapped on the nose by a muppet, bugs running under my seat at Bugs Life, sitting in the early.morning with a coffee on the Boardwalk..ahhhh yes I believe I can still feel the magic.

I am still going, at least once more. I plan to be strategic about the magic...I wont stress about dining, wont buy LL or Genie..it offends me to even consider..the cost and being forced into my cell.nope nope nope. I know how to tour without needing! In the end for.me when I look back it was never fastpass or fast /big attractions access that brought the magic. People watching small children and their wonder, shows, parades and the classics like the Tiki Birds, getting tapped on the nose by a muppet, bugs running under my seat at Bugs Life, sitting in the early.morning with a coffee on the Boardwalk..ahhhh yes I believe I can still feel the magic.
Yes, that’s the memories of feeling the magic. I still have those too. Good luck actually feeling it while you're there.

If it wasn't for our DVC we wouldn't go as much. For me the parks are becoming less and less fun. When I was there in March everyone walking around looking at their phones walking into each other. I'm on vacation I don't want my phone but Disney has made it almost impossible to enter the park without it let alone enjoy the park without a phone.
We are headed back in July for 2 weeks not because I want to but because it's all about the magic still for our 6 year old granddaughter but this time around we will use our villa from DVC free moonlight magic DVC tickets for Hollywood studios and get 2 day tickets for MK and AK. We also plan on going to SeaWorld and using our DVC discount for typhoon lagoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter