Time to say Goodbye for Now....

Never has truer words been spoken. I feel the same about universal and Busch gardens Williamsburg. The cycle always happens
I haven't lived long enough to see this cycle happen....I hope what you say is true. I want to be able to give my kids wonderful Disney experiences.

I haven't lived long enough to see this cycle happen....I hope what you say is true. I want to be able to give my kids wonderful Disney experiences.
The good news is, Universal is definitely on the upswing. Obviously not the same thing, and it tends to skew older. But I can say, as a total non-Harry Potter fan, that the Wizarding World at Universal is amazing and extremely well-done.

You will eventually see it I also want to give my kids the wonderful experiences I’ve had at various destinations throughout the years.

Imho, we need people in the C suite and running the parks who grew up in the renaissance and also saw how it slowed down. We need a millennial (yes I’m a millennial but I have very little knowledge of business and management-but I’d love to give it a go lol! I’m sure there is someone out there )

The good news is, Universal is definitely on the upswing. Obviously not the same thing, and it tends to skew older. But I can say, as a total non-Harry Potter fan, that the Wizarding World at Universal is amazing and extremely well-done.
Definitely. My first visit was 2012 right after jaws was demolished. I saw some weird years. Their ebb and flow is different though. Every theme park is different. Hershey park is not the place I knew as a kid. Totally on the upswing. Busch gardens Williamsburg is similar to universal with an upswing but the historical sites in the area need a Renault and we’re starting to prior to pandemic. Speaking of which, the pandemic is going to change things regardless of up or down swing

You will eventually see it I also want to give my kids the wonderful experiences I’ve had at various destinations throughout the years.

Imho, we need people in the C suite and running the parks who grew up in the renaissance and also saw how it slowed down. We need a millennial (yes I’m a millennial but I have very little knowledge of business and management-but I’d love to give it a go lol! I’m sure there is someone out there )

I think the executives in the C suite go to Disneyland quite often. The resources they pour into that place while letting their flagship park decline is pretty shocking. The difference between Disneyland and Disneyworld is almost bigger than the difference between Disneyworld and the county fair.

I think the executives in the C suite go to Disneyland quite often. The resources they pour into that place while letting their flagship park decline is pretty shocking. The difference between Disneyland and Disneyworld is almost bigger than the difference between Disneyworld and the county fair.
I haven’t been able to visit Disneyland yet (hoping to this summer). I wish there was a reminder setting like on Reddit so I can come back and answer you in a few months! I do wonder if the c suite will be split up with the move to Lake Nona…

In the Circle of Life, WDW is on one of it's downward spirals. It was great in the 70's and then it spiraled downward thru the early 90's. During the early part of the century it resurged and now it's on a downward trend. I firmly believe it will rebound but it will take time. We are at a time in our lives where we're just going with the flow because I don't know whether we'll be travel worthy when it pulls itself from the backside of the sun into the light.
The early 90s were bad?

My first WDW resort stay was at the Swan in the early 1990s. The whimsy and elegance of the Swan and Dolphin enchanted me. I loved the tram ride to Epcot, past Y&BC with the fabulous Stormalong Bay. (For the youngsters reading this: before the Boardwalk was built, you took a tram like the parking lot trams between Swan/Dolphin and Epcot).

The early 90s were bad?

My first WDW resort stay was at the Swan in the early 1990s. The whimsy and elegance of the Swan and Dolphin enchanted me. I loved the tram ride to Epcot, past Y&BC with the fabulous Stormalong Bay. (For the youngsters reading this: before the Boardwalk was built, you took a tram like the parking lot trams between Swan/Dolphin and Epcot).
I don't think so. They were great for me! Loved early MGM studios and all of the rides at MK. EPCOT was also super aweseome!

In the late 90's early 00's Disney was always crowded they had length of stay tickets period... if you booked 5 days at a resort you had a 6 day ticket period. The food options were not very good think burgers everywhere and not very good ones at that sort or like any theme park. previous there were non expiring tickets. Yes there were sit down places but similar to now where the menus were mostly the same just with different toppings. Yes there were always the saving unchanged places like flame tree for example now. Yes 911 happened the economy crashed etc people stopped going. If my memory is correct in 04 (maybe 05) they redid the tickets to the non expiring and advertised it was cheaper than ever... I will say the food was already improving at the point. For the record they beg people to go to Ohana for 10 bucks best value in Disney property I recall being told in the very early 00s. added the DP that was cheap and included a lot more, Magic express etc to get people to stay at the resorts and eat at Disney again. Started offering FD packed the restaurants, resorts and parks started raising prices still more people came...... and brings us to now.... more then likely as every other boom there is down fall and a boom and down fall.......... My opinion is this start of downfall and the perfect storm of covid, inflation for everything, a looming downward economy with the relentless up prices of Disney...
But alas Disney is smart and have DVC members (of 18 years) like myself that will get them through... But will have to do some serious rethinking to regain the customer levels of today when it does happen.....(not an if but a when) I personally have been going since the late 80's my wife was lucky early 70s when you stayed at the Poly or CR as thats alll there was and each ride was X tickets admission was free.

My sister and I are going there in September. We saved money with their ticket promo (buy 3, get 2 free days) that for hotel & tix we're paying $1182 for 4 night stay at Aventura hotel.

It makes me sad to read all this about Genie+, ILL, etc. IF we go again (and Disney has $600 of ticket money on-hold for me from a canceled trip so we probably will) I know it'll be a challenge. We are not a smart-phone family, so all these changes will do is detract from our ability to do much at all. I was at Disney in Aug 2021 and you can't imagine how difficult it was to talk my way into QS locations. "Yes, I understand you want me to mobile order, but I don't have a phone. No, really... no phone. Can't I just get something to drink and some fries?" It was ridiculous. Good think we already had magic bands; imagine if I'd had to ask for an actual room key! Can you do Genie+ or LL from a laptop/iPad? I am really not happy- and we LOVE Disney. We live in New England and have been to Disney 32 times in 23 years. Now? Not sure anymore (except I hate to lose that ticket money...)

It makes me sad to read all this about Genie+, ILL, etc. IF we go again (and Disney has $600 of ticket money on-hold for me from a canceled trip so we probably will) I know it'll be a challenge. We are not a smart-phone family, so all these changes will do is detract from our ability to do much at all. I was at Disney in Aug 2021 and you can't imagine how difficult it was to talk my way into QS locations. "Yes, I understand you want me to mobile order, but I don't have a phone. No, really... no phone. Can't I just get something to drink and some fries?" It was ridiculous. Good think we already had magic bands; imagine if I'd had to ask for an actual room key! Can you do Genie+ or LL from a laptop/iPad? I am really not happy- and we LOVE Disney. We live in New England and have been to Disney 32 times in 23 years. Now? Not sure anymore (except I hate to lose that ticket money...)
I get where you are coming from! We are not a smart phone family either. I have a cellular one flip phone for emergencies only. I like to have a phone available when we take trips. Otherwise, it is not on. We have decided to not go back at this time, and we really love and miss the "old"disney too. So you are not alone in not having a smart phone. I doubt if our cell phone would even work at disney. It is not very up to date.

Have been to disney many times, honeymoon in 1981 - took kids and was able to stay at poly for very reasonable prices,, as time went along and poly got outrageous prices, shifted down to port orleans or some other moderate resort but still had magical times. all the changes and price increases along with taking away so many benefits of staying on site have me giving up on disney for the forseable future - went to Universal in Feb and didnt have any thought that i might be missing disney

I get where you are coming from! We are not a smart phone family either. I have a cellular one flip phone for emergencies only. I like to have a phone available when we take trips. Otherwise, it is not on. We have decided to not go back at this time, and we really love and miss the "old"disney too. So you are not alone in not having a smart phone. I doubt if our cell phone would even work at disney. It is not very up to date.
I see a larger issue than this. I am 25 with a smartphone. I just DO NOT want to use it on my vacation and if I'm paying $$$, I shouldn't have to.

That is ridiculous. I went in October 2021 and if I wanted a snack, I also had to mobile order. Snacks are definitely spur of the moment things, so no clue I knew I wanted it hours ago when I was supposed to mobile order it within the correct time slot.

I agree, but their ideas will only work if someone is willing to listen. Any cost-cutting measure to give Disney more money is their plan for now. They don't care about long-term guest satisfaction it seems anymore.

Just got back from RunDisney. Stayed at Kidani(I'm DVC) 3 nights. Never visited a park outside of the races. Looked at Animal Kingdom and just couldn't justify $160 just to get in, then whatever else it takes to actually ride the larger rides. I did a monorail tour/resort day instead, went through Epcot, and was happy I didn't invest in that park either. i'm planning on a return in 2023 for the spring races, but don't see family trips back until likely 2 years at best. I agree with the above, high $$ to get in, high $$ for apps, everything needs to be tightly scheduled, and I hated the mobile order of food, even at my resort. I'm another that did visit Sea World last year and it was great. Laid back, the meal plan was amazing, and the day capped off with a Night Ranger show-all for a $95 ticket through UT.

I agree, but their ideas will only work if someone is willing to listen. Any cost-cutting measure to give Disney more money is their plan for now. They don't care about long-term guest satisfaction it seems anymore.

Well they obviously do at Disneyland as they are spending heavily there to make improvements. I just think the Southern Californian locals aren't going to tolerate anything less than a first rate experience. The level of guest entitlement is far higher out there.

Well they obviously do at Disneyland as they are spending heavily there to make improvements. I just think the Southern Californian locals aren't going to tolerate anything less than a first rate experience. The level of guest entitlement is far higher out there.

That's a bit speculative. I've seen some pretty terrible entitlement at WDW too.

I see a larger issue than this. I am 25 with a smartphone. I just DO NOT want to use it on my vacation and if I'm paying $$$, I shouldn't have to.
I'm 25 as well and I hate being on my phone all day too, I just want to enjoy the park. I did a brief trip in late Feb and I spent so much time having to constantly refresh the tip board to get a better LL time. Some instances I was nonstop scrolling for 10 minutes. I loved mobile order for meals but thought it was annoying for snacks. I did a mobile order at Aloha Isle and still waited 10-15 minutes.

I feel bad for a lot of international tourists visiting the parks that don't have a SIM card or data plan so they'll be stuck relying on the garbage Disney wifi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter