Time is money

kinkin201

Generational DVC-er since '17
There is something to be said about buying direct vs resale. When I first bought DVC in 2017, I did so while at WDW. The process was about 24hrs when you include when I got my account and the points (not including the tour). I bought a resale contract last year and the process from start to finish was about 5mo when you include ROFR. I added on to my direct contract today and by the time I get the points in my account it will have been less than 12hrs and I can book with those points tonight. I'm not knocking resale at all- it was easy. I'm just saying when you're willing to spend the money, Disney can make it happen in less than 10mins and have your points to you in less than a day.

I've said the same thing in the few threads. When looking at Direct vs Resale you have to look at if you have trips coming up that you won't be able to use your resale points for (because of the slow process) when determining the actual savings. We have a 17 night trip coming up split between 3 resorts that when factoring in a passholder discount would have cost close to $10k. Had our resale not been taken at ROFR we would not have had the points in time to get those resorts.

Well, "Money is Money $$$". It really "sucked" saving thousands of dollars on my resale contracts (SSR @ $60 a point for 200 pts, BWV @ $70 a point for 90 pts). Oh...I'm still a Blue Card holder too. It really "sucks" right now when I see I can sell both contracts for double what I paid for 'em. So again...Money is Money !

If you time it right, you can also get an extra year of points buying direct. But I will say I've bought and sold a bunch of DVC contracts resale and it never took five months. 6-8 weeks every time. Maybe your broker was not good or your seller dragged their feet.

I think getting immediate points for RR to bank Aug 2020 and use for this holiday NYE 2nights before RR 11 month window was to open Will add to my pleasure... Not to mention the incentives for current DVC members ... not really that much difference between resale/direct.
Lots of current buyers are discovering this since DVC announced this.
Recommend taking a look to compare if you have not past your banking window. I was not expecting 2020 points with option to bank those even tho my banking window ended in March.!

Last edited:

Well, "Money is Money $$$". It really "sucked" saving thousands of dollars on my resale contracts (SSR @ $60 a point for 200 pts, BWV @ $70 a point for 90 pts). Oh...I'm still a Blue Card holder too. It really "sucks" right now when I see I can sell both contracts for double what I paid for 'em. So again...Money is Money !

Well that's not current conditions, so it's pretty irrelevant! Nobody's getting resale for those prices (resale is sky-high right now) and nobody's getting a blue card with their purchase and they will not be able to use their points everywhere.

Currently, resale is not necessarily the great deal it used to be.

Seems there's something in her air lately making people get incredibly impatient. Consider that the waiting period for the resale process is just a minute fraction of the executed contract length you'll enjoy when all goes through. DVC is a long term play.

I understand that resale prices aren't all that appealing currently... Personally I wouldn't touch a DVC contract right now direct or resale.

Seems there's something in her air lately making people get incredibly impatient. Consider that the waiting period for the resale process is just a minute fraction of the executed contract length you'll enjoy when all goes through. DVC is a long term play.

I understand that resale prices aren't all that appealing currently... Personally I wouldn't touch a DVC contract right now direct or resale.
But, again, if you have a trip coming up that you would have to pay cash for then that eats into the savings. Yes, the 50-80 days is a fraction of the overall length of the contract purchase, but immediate booking does make a difference in some situations.

But, again, if you have a trip coming up that you would have to pay cash for then that eats into the savings. Yes, the 50-80 days is a fraction of the overall length of the contract purchase, but immediate booking does make a difference in some situations.

This is true. That is what happened when we bought. Again, every situation is different and that is why it’s not always cut and dry in terms of waiting out resale and going direct.

No questions direct will cost more in 99% of the cases. But, that difference may not be as bad as it seems in the long run and even made up when that AP comes back.

And you will pay mightily for that privilege. It's probably not enough to sweat about in the long term, though. If you're a cash buyer, then that certainly would impact your purchasing power. Bottom line as always is it depends on each person's situation. Time is money.. but money is money, too.. and a whole hell of a lot of money

I think it's akin to waiting until you're 8 months pregnant before looking for a bigger apartment (or looking for a car seat on your way home from the hospital). It's not like these 2-week long vacations pop up out of nowhere, especially for people who are current members and understand the game. We're not talking about scheduling heart surgery here. It's a vacation. Get the points, THEN plan the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter