Tiggerdad's Pretrip Report: November 14th-23rd

'Dirtdobber' - love it!! Is there really another name to call those pesky insects? :confused3 That's the 'only' name we ever knew to call them!! (So. LA here).
We have had our problems with them over the years - think they love the slight odor of propane!!

Have a great trip! :thumbsup2

North of the Mouse - I call them mud-dobbers - may be a Florida thing. Yes, these pesty insects and spiders can cause issues with campers. I have screens on all the outside vents - Hotwater Heater, Furnace, and even the outside refrig vents.

Tiggerdad - it has been fun following along in this thread as you prepared for your trip. Safe travels and enjoy. It is a special time of the year to be at Disney and The Fort - Christmas Magic is in the air.

-Russ

Up here (StL) we call them mud dobbers or just plain 'wasps'.j

Well, we have wasps also, but they 'sting' and we've never been stung by a 'dirtdobber'. They're not aggressive at all - but might would sting if stepped on, etc. Either way, don't like them!! :(

Well, we have wasps also, but they 'sting' and we've never been stung by a 'dirtdobber'.
Interesting. The things we call mud dobbers up here will definitely sting. That's what I hate about wasps. Bees take a fair amount of provoking before they will bite. Wasps hunt you down.

j

Teamubr said:
And T-dad, I'll trade you 1 dirt dobber damage for the damage the d@mn squirrels do to my house. :lmao:

j

Sold!

At least I can eat the squirrel...

Sold!

Just put a sign up with this quote and maybe the FW squirrel mafia will steer clear of you. :)

I looked it up and they are wasps! I never knew that and I don't guess I've seen them, just their left behind mud. I always heard them called mud-daubers and they leave their mud all over the bricks on my house and the wood on my deck. We just replaced the wood siding on our upstairs with vinyl and replaced the surface of our deck so I really don't want it to be marked up with mud. I will be calling my exterminator in early spring.

Just put a sign up with this quote and maybe the FW squirrel mafia will steer clear of you. :)
I think you've gone and done it. All the little guys you think are your friends at the Fort... I wouldn't turn your back on them.
You're a marked man now. Might as well paint a target on your back. I'd be sleeping in shifts if I were you... Or at least with one eye open. :rotfl:

j

Sold!

I think that comment got around on the squirrel net, when I went looping last night I seen sentry's posted at the entrance to all premium loops. I think they even had a acorn with a pic of your camper on it. Would be best to come in during the changing of the squirrels.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

They are rallying the troops. Found these guys getting ready for you.

images

squirrelfight.jpg

images

And I would really watch out for this one.

images

Enjoy your visit!

j

Anybody know how expensive a dirtdobber (redneck term) can be? About $100. Was putting the gas furnace through its paces today and she wouldn't ignite. Took the ED heater out, couldn't find anything, so I took it down to the local RV service center and they took it completely apart only to find a nice little dob of dried mud in the burner. Thank you sir, that will be $100.

I immediately bought and installed a mesh screen cover for my furnace exhaust. I strongly encourage all of you to do so.

Well, off to work. I'll pack the truck tonight after I get off work.

1 day to go!

Just had the dirtdobber special done myself, but ready for the cooler weather now. Really enjoying your reports!

You underestimate me...
Since my last visit I have studied the ways of the Fort squirrels...learned their strengths...and weaknesses. So my plan is to negotiate a peace treaty. I have my diplomat ready to go.

If that fails, then I will negotiate with their stomachs.

I must admit though, I am a bit tense. Not sure if its anticipating the long ride, or facing the squirrels. In about 14 hours I'll know. Got 2 hours until we pull out, roughly. Got everything packed in and secured. Entire bed of truck is nothing but Christmas decorations.

I'll continue to post on this thread through the night as I make fuel stops. When I arrive I'll start up a new thread for a live report.

Thanks for your well wishes and prayers.

Fort Wilderness, here I come!

Drive safe and have a great trip at the fort. I'm looking forward to the TR.

Thanks Ryan

I've really enjoyed this pre-trip report, have a safe drive down and wonderful trip. Ill be looking forward to reading your reports.

Can't wait for the live report... That is, if the squirrels leave an arm untied and give you your phone/computer.

Have a safe trip!

j

Be careful and arrive alive.

You're doing a super job on the pre-TR, tiggerdad. I'll be watching the live-TR closely. :happytv:

Bama Ed

Tiggerdad, DW and I have prayed for a safe trip for you and yours. Glo thinks the squirrels prefer the peanuts from M&Ms. I believe they would like beer nuts to go with the BudLite the otters steal for them.
Did you find a location to watch the A&M game.. whoops the Alabama/Mississippi State game. The talking heads are picking Alabama

Mariana, Fl. Kids sacked out in mobile, Al. Thank goodness, niece has bladder of a flea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter