• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tiered Ticket Pricing ... what would Walt think?

With Disney just announcing a price increase, which includes tiering on 1-day tickets and and expiration on unused tickets and there is definitely a lot of outrage on this - with the biggest complaints I have seen being that
a) this is unfair to people that are limited in the time of year they can go (teachers, people with kids in school, etc.) - so people are not equal
b) It's just getting too expensive for many families to go on vacation there

Now, I feel like there isn't the same outrage when sport teams raise their prices or movie tickets or Broadway shows, etc. So what in unique about Walt Disney World/Disneyland?

I think it is because of the vision Walt had and this idea (ideal) that he wanted everyone to be able to go to Disneyland/World (he does say "Disneyland is your land" in the opening speech) and a family trip to Walt Disney World has been so ingrained in our minds as something everyone has to do at least once - or almost that they are entitled to it

So what do you think Walt would think if he was alive (and not literally alive since he would be over 100, I think you know what I mean)? And given that the number one complaint I see is crowd levels what would he do to fix this? I know the easy answer is build more parks to spread the parks out but a) that would take a long time to complete and b) would that really help? WDW has more parks than Disneyland but crowds are worse in Florida than California - wouldn't more parks just bring more crowds and you have the same issue?

You must not follow professional sports, lol.
when the new Yankee stadium was built there certainly was plenty of outrage over the cost of seats, with many high profile ticket holders giving up their seats and if you go to the budget board right now you will find a thread about the ridiculous cost of movies.

in fact I find that Disney is the only place that has fans that will except any thing the company does to them

i never go with the What would Walt do?? We have no way of knowing so imo it's moot

Please stop making this thread about teachers. They were just used as ONE example of a group who may be only able to travel at certain times of the year. Yes, we all know that vacation is taken when it can be taken. But, by the way, for teachers to be able to travel for three weeks at a time, it has to be during the summer...in peak times.

As for ticket discounts, many organizations offer discounted tickets to employees, and while I have concrete examples, I would rather not name them here. Though, I will say that when you purchase these discounted tickets, they are not a Disney transaction.

It pays to do some research into other ticket outlets besides Disney, including employee discount programs, if you are not doing a package.

=
when the new Yankee stadium was built there certainly was plenty of outrage over the cost of seats

And having gone there shortly after it opening, I can tell you that I was APPALLED and HORRIFIED at the the food costs, despite living in the high cost tri-state area for most of my life.! If I remember right, it was $6.00 for a plain, small, boiled hot dog on a slightly-stale non-toasted roll, the same for a small serving of Dippin' Dots, and $9.00 for a single bottle of Bud - and this was all if you got it yourself, after standing in endless lines, I remember there being an option for it being even MORE expensive if you ordered and it came to you.:( : Since that was a long time ago, I'm sure it's MUCH worse now, I have not been back to find out.

As I'm not a us resident, or a teacher, please forgive the lack of concrete info, but I've read here before that some association or teachers union (or something?) offers a discount of some sort.
Like I said, I'm sorry for the crappy and sketchy info, but I know ive read it here before.
That could be the case some maybe some sort of association somewhere in the US and I'm not saying you aren't right because I believe I've heard something along the lines of that before as well I just know that's not the case where I live.

I admit, I haven't read every post just yet (running late to get ready for work) but, about things being equal, I have to say, what people do for work is mostly their choice. Having children is a choice.
In Australia, teachers get almost 3 months off a year, fully paid.
Yes they work late nights at times and on weekends at times, but so do a lot of professions.
I'm so sick of hearing teachers complain about having to travel on school holidays and it being expensive. You've made that choice however many years ago to be a teacher, you had to know that you'd only be able to travel during a peak time of year.
I can't travel for more than 3 weeks at a time (in Australia, we get 4 weeks paid holidays per year, which I know is different to the US, trust me, I'm not complaining, I know that's a great thing we get) but I'm an accountant and end of month (and year) are busy and it's pretty much all hands on deck.
This is a choice I made.
I also can't take my holidays during March-may because its budget time on top of everything else. It's just the way it is.

Also, having children? Choice. Things are expensive when you have children (one reason I've chosen not to have any at this point) and they go to school too, so unless you're happy to take them out, you'll have to travel at peak times.
I'm not sure Walt would be saying "don't increase prices, it's hard for parents having to pay more during school holidays."
He'd be seeing his bottom line.

I think we idealize Walt, but at the end of the day, he was a smart business man.

Sorry for the Pete-esque rant. I know it seems insensitive, and I certainly don't mean to be, it's just that logic slips in and I think that sometimes, life is just plain old not fair, and other times, it's our choices that get us to where we are.

Now Now, we all have made career decisions and making assumptions about career choices is very short sighted. Many jobs are about passion and a desire (to teach, perform, create) and each career has its own trade offs. I would love to be performing full-time on stage, but the name "Starena" was already taken.

I admit, I haven't read every post just yet (running late to get ready for work) but, about things being equal, I have to say, what people do for work is mostly their choice. Having children is a choice.
In Australia, teachers get almost 3 months off a year, fully paid.
Yes they work late nights at times and on weekends at times, but so do a lot of professions.
I'm so sick of hearing teachers complain about having to travel on school holidays and it being expensive. You've made that choice however many years ago to be a teacher, you had to know that you'd only be able to travel during a peak time of year.
I can't travel for more than 3 weeks at a time (in Australia, we get 4 weeks paid holidays per year, which I know is different to the US, trust me, I'm not complaining, I know that's a great thing we get) but I'm an accountant and end of month (and year) are busy and it's pretty much all hands on deck.
This is a choice I made.
I also can't take my holidays during March-may because its budget time on top of everything else. It's just the way it is.

Also, having children? Choice. Things are expensive when you have children (one reason I've chosen not to have any at this point) and they go to school too, so unless you're happy to take them out, you'll have to travel at peak times.
I'm not sure Walt would be saying "don't increase prices, it's hard for parents having to pay more during school holidays."
He'd be seeing his bottom line.

I think we idealize Walt, but at the end of the day, he was a smart business man.

Sorry for the Pete-esque rant. I know it seems insensitive, and I certainly don't mean to be, it's just that logic slips in and I think that sometimes, life is just plain old not fair, and other times, it's our choices that get us to where we are.

I am going to be very clear that my mod hat is not on as I post this reply. These are my personal opinions and do not represent anyone or anything else but me.

As a teacher, I found this post very offensive and misleading. In looking at Australia's government website, I read that the school year is broken into four terms with the country's "summer break" being around December. In-between the other terms there is a break period of about two weeks. When one adds this information up, students attend school in Australia for about 200 days; teachers, who are required to attend days beyond this for professional development, training, meetings, etc. go beyond that. This sounds comparable to schools here in the United States.

Teachers - in Australia and the U.S. - are NOT paid during the summer. They have the option to take their salary for the school year, subtract a percentage of it, and then collect that amount during the summer break. Teachers receive no other funds and may not collect unemployment at this time. Many teachers work one, two, and some even three additional jobs throughout the entire year just to pay the bills. Those bills, by the way, often include the supplies needed to do their jobs at school - books, curriculum materials, manipulatives, pencils, glue, paper, etc.

As far as late nights, weekends, and other professions, studies have shown that teachers work, on average, 15-20 hours extra on top of a 40 hour work week. Many I know go beyond that. In fact, I belong to two teacher groups in which every participant works between 60-80 hours per week. My day at school is typically between 10-12 hours, not including the time spent tutoring before and after school and advising extracurricular activities, only to go home at night to grade papers, plan lessons, make parent phone calls/emails, and work on paperwork. There is no such thing as additional work being done "at times." It is our reality.

Teachers are caretakers by nature. When the school bell rings at the end of the day, we don't have a magical switch to flick and not think about our students. We refer to them as "our kids" because in that year together we accomplish more than what is written in textbooks. We nurture, support, coach, inspire, praise, and fight for our students. Likewise, we are constantly using what you might consider to be free time in order to brainstorm new ways to reach those troubled children; this could be a teaching method or time spent outside of the classroom during home visits. It is an all-consuming profession and extremely difficult to turn off even in the middle of the night. Our kids are constantly on our minds.

During the summer and holiday breaks, teachers are also working, and most of the time doing so without being paid. Professional development seminars, graduate courses, revamping curriculum to the ever-changing state standards, curating and developing units, lessons, and activities, learning the latest technology, teaching summer school or tutoring, meeting with administration or department heads, cleaning and organizing classrooms for the next set of learners, and so on are necessary to help our students and school communities. Again, this is also a time when teachers are doing what they can to supplement their income. I'd love to hear of another profession in which someone holding a Masters or Doctorate degree works those hours plus an additional job(s) because the salary is not feasible for a comfortable living.

I don't think there's any other way to close this than to post a short video that I encourage you to watch until the very end. After doing so, are you still tired of teachers "complaining" about something they chose? about being charged more for those precious moments when they can actually take a break to clear their heads? about doing a job which one perceives as being just as demanding as any other? One would think they should be celebrated for what they're doing, not ridiculed for doing the work that is more of a calling than decision.

I hope that this has shed some light for you. Now I'm off to write lesson plans and grade papers...at 8:33 PM...before getting up tomorrow at 5 and starting my day. I can't wait to see my kiddos and help them learn something new. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited:
As I'm not a us resident, or a teacher, please forgive the lack of concrete info, but I've read here before that some association or teachers union (or something?) offers a discount of some sort.
Like I said, I'm sorry for the crappy and sketchy info, but I know ive read it here before.

False.

You must not follow professional sports, lol.
when the new Yankee stadium was built there certainly was plenty of outrage over the cost of seats, with many high profile ticket holders giving up their seats and if you go to the budget board right now you will find a thread about the ridiculous cost of movies.

in fact I find that Disney is the only place that has fans that will except any thing the company does to them

i never go with the What would Walt do?? We have no way of knowing so imo it's moot

On the contrary - I very much follow sports. I listen to ~1 hour of sports talk radio every day and am one of the admins for one of the largest sports talk message boards in NY

I was actually thinking specifically of sports tickets as there is outrage and frustration - but not the same sense of entitlement. The one exception I could think of is is when Metlife stadium was built and the teams sold personal seat licenses and people who had tickets in their families for generations couldn't afford the licenses and had to give them up.

And to your last point, that was kind of my point. People have this vision of Walt and that if he was alive he would never let tickets prices get so high but he knew how to turn a profit

My wife and I are not teachers but we still could only go to Disney during school breaks for many years because our daughter was a student and we couldn't take her out for a week. We could when she was little in elementary school but not after 6th grade I think. So we were stuck going in August for 7 years in a row. That was near the bottom of the list of times we would have gone by choice but it was either that, Christmas (hell no), or spring break, which we couldn't do because of Passover. So summer it was. We weren't thrilled about it but we were grateful that we were able to go to Disney at all.

walt would ask for another Marlboro and move on. He probably could not care less to be honest. FYI, Walt wasn't that nice of a person...he just happened to make the "happiest place on earth".

The simple fact is many US companies have agreements for discount tickets. Retailers like Target and Home Depot have dedicated sites for employee discounts on vacation packages. This has become opinions. There are just so many things wrong on this thread I wish it was just shut down.

Park discounts and Shades of Green are open to any member of the military or DOD, why does some chick in a cubical in Virginia get the same treatment as a soldier just returning from 10 months overseas? Think about it, now ask if other jobs are less worthy. Take what you or your employer gets you and stop this insanity. Walt didn't place people into classes based on their jobs or color or gender.

As the other Pete keeps saying, if you want things to change people need to stop paying the monster. But no... we are going to keep paying because we like it and we want it and we need it. If WDW were a drug, it would be crack; Or maybe heroin. I will differ to Pete on that. To close though, I will say ignorance is only slightly better than misinformation, and knowledge (knowing) is half the battle. G.I. JOE

What would Walt think? He'd think he was too old to worry about it as he'd be 115 years old. :mic:

But didn't Walt pioneer the A-E ticket book pack? That was actually a way of balancing out the load among attractions in the parks. Hmm, come to think of it maybe something like that should be considered today. I wonder what Roy would think. :duck:

When we went in 77 we got ONE ride on all the E ticket rides which included Small World.

I didn't realise teachers weren't paid for the Summer in the US, that definitely stinks. In New Zealand Summer is paid as part of your salary rather than you having to make the choice to take a percentage from the rest of the year (and at least some states in Australia because my cousin in Perth confirms she gets paid in the Summer as part of her regular salary package.)

Not that the teachers having to travel to Disney in peak times argument matters to us over here since our Summer is your Winter. My best friend is a teacher and is planning a 6 week holiday to Disneyworld and a cruise during her Summer break at the end of this year, I can barely contain my jealousy.

As for the tiered pricing, I suspect Walt would have no issue with it. He possibly wouldn't be happy that prices these days mean some families can never afford to go, but unfortunately that is the way of the world these days - prices for luxury items continue to increase faster than the income of the average person so a lot of things get out of reach for the average family.

Disney has been out of reach financially for the average New Zealand family since it began. It costs so much to travel to America and the New Zealand dollar is usually so weak against the US dollar that it's too hard for most people. It sucks, but it's just the way it is.

Oh and I do agree about the choices thing. My husband and I chose to start a family knowing that it would mean our next Disney trip is a long way away. I daydream constantly about going back, but we made the right choice because our daughter is amazing and absolutely worth 5 or so years before we can make our next trip.

I am going to be very clear that my mod hat is not on as I post this reply. These are my personal opinions and do not represent anyone or anything else but me.

As a teacher, I found this post very offensive and misleading. In looking at Australia's government website, I read that the school year is broken into four terms with the country's "summer break" being around December. In-between the other terms there is a break period of about two weeks. When one adds this information up, students attend school in Australia for about 200 days; teachers, who are required to attend days beyond this for professional development, training, meetings, etc. go beyond that. This sounds comparable to schools here in the United States.

Teachers - in Australia and the U.S. - are NOT paid during the summer. They have the option to take their salary for the school year, subtract a percentage of it, and then collect that amount during the summer break. Teachers receive no other funds and may not collect unemployment at this time. Many teachers work one, two, and some even three additional jobs throughout the entire year just to pay the bills. Those bills, by the way, often include the supplies needed to do their jobs at school - books, curriculum materials, manipulatives, pencils, glue, paper, etc.

As far as late nights, weekends, and other professions, studies have shown that teachers work, on average, 15-20 hours extra on top of a 40 hour work week. Many I know go beyond that. In fact, I belong to two teacher groups in which every participant works between 60-80 hours per week. My day at school is typically between 10-12 hours, not including the time spent tutoring before and after school and advising extracurricular activities, only to go home at night to grade papers, plan lessons, make parent phone calls/emails, and work on paperwork. There is no such thing as additional work being done "at times." It is our reality.

Teachers are caretakers by nature. When the school bell rings at the end of the day, we don't have a magical switch to flick and not think about our students. We refer to them as "our kids" because in that year together we accomplish more than what is written in textbooks. We nurture, support, coach, inspire, praise, and fight for our students. Likewise, we are constantly using what you might consider to be free time in order to brainstorm new ways to reach those troubled children; this could be a teaching method or time spent outside of the classroom during home visits. It is an all-consuming profession and extremely difficult to turn off even in the middle of the night. Our kids are constantly on our minds.

During the summer and holiday breaks, teachers are also working, and most of the time doing so without being paid. Professional development seminars, graduate courses, revamping curriculum to the ever-changing state standards, curating and developing units, lessons, and activities, learning the latest technology, teaching summer school or tutoring, meeting with administration or department heads, cleaning and organizing classrooms for the next set of learners, and so on are necessary to help our students and school communities. Again, this is also a time when teachers are doing what they can to supplement their income. I'd love to hear of another profession in which someone holding a Masters or Doctorate degree works those hours plus an additional job(s) because the salary is not feasible for a comfortable living.

I don't think there's any other way to close this than to post a short video that I encourage you to watch until the very end. After doing so, are you still tired of teachers "complaining" about something they chose? about being charged more for those precious moments when they can actually take a break to clear their heads? about doing a job which one perceives as being just as demanding as any other? One would think they should be celebrated for what they're doing, not ridiculed for doing the work that is more of a calling than decision.

I hope that this has shed some light for you. Now I'm off to write lesson plans and grade papers...at 8:33 PM...before getting up tomorrow at 5 and starting my day. I can't wait to see my kiddos and help them learn something new. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sorry but how does this very long and quite aggressive post change the fact that teachers choose their profession? I think teaches sacrifice a lot to be treated like crap in most circumstances BUT it's your choice to work in that industry so you have to deal with the time which you can take off.

I have to take 3 or my 4 weeks leave over Christmas and it's ridiculously expensive for me to go away but i deal with it because I made a choice.

This tiered system is great. And I'm sorry but who pays for a single park ticket anyway during a peak period? This is designed to deter locals on peak days and also deter passers through from coming when it's busy.

Also yes you should have to use your tickets with in 12 months. That's just the way the world works.

It SHOULD be more expensive when it's busy. That's how you make things less busy by deterring people from coming. Walt wouldn't want his park packed and in enjoyable so he would welcome anyway to make the experience of the park more enjoyable.

Sorry but how does this very long and quite aggressive post change the fact that teachers choose their profession? I think teaches sacrifice a lot to be treated like crap in most circumstances BUT it's your choice to work in that industry so you have to deal with the time which you can take off.

I have to take 3 or my 4 weeks leave over Christmas and it's ridiculously expensive for me to go away but i deal with it because I made a choice.

This tiered system is great. And I'm sorry but who pays for a single park ticket anyway during a peak period? This is designed to deter locals on peak days and also deter passers through from coming when it's busy.

Also yes you should have to use your tickets with in 12 months. That's just the way the world works.

It SHOULD be more expensive when it's busy. That's how you make things less busy by deterring people from coming. Walt wouldn't want his park packed and in enjoyable so he would welcome anyway to make the experience of the park more enjoyable.

The post cleared up some ignorance regarding the teaching profession that are common misconceptions. Everyone "complains" about his/her job, but when teachers do it, they automatically hear, "But you only work seven hours a day and you get every holiday and weekend off, and oh, yeah, don't forget the three months in the summer." So it is implied that because of these so-called "perks" (which are not all accurate), teachers have no right to complain about their job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter