I have 6 day park hopper tickets for a trip I have coming this February. If I decide, during those 6 days, that I want to upgrade to an AP,
1. do I just need to do it before the very last day in order to have the 6 day pass go towards the cost of an AP? Also, if I upgrade at that point to the AP, when would the effective date of the AP be?
2. Would it be that day that I upgraded?
3. Or would it go back to the first day that I used the 6 day pass?
1. You can even upgrade as late as closing time on the SAME day that you use the last ticket asset.
2. Nope.
3. Yes.

If I activate a pre 2016 ticket then upgrade it would that work in terms of receiving the value of a 2019 ticket instead of a pre 2016?

If I activate a pre 2016 ticket then upgrade it would that work in terms of receiving the value of a 2019 ticket instead of a pre 2016?
Nope.

In reality, the pre-2016 ticket is already "active."
You would actually be USING the pre-2016 tickets to enter the parks.

Last edited:
Question about upgrading to AP:

I currently have a package (room, tix w/PH) with my parents. We have 4-day PH staying 5 days (Wednesday, the 18th is not a ticket usage day as my parents arrive in MCO from SEA). I decided to arrive the day before and looking at a 2-day ticket w/o PH as I can get in some Tuesday and most day Wednesday as folks arrive at 6 pm. I know I can't add onto the package we currently have as it would have to be applied to everyone.

With all that said, I'm considering upgrading to AP as I'm planning on going in 2021. Can I combine all those days towards the price of the AP? If so, how would I go about doing that? Would I have to do it before my 2-day expires?

Last edited:

Question about upgrading to AP:

I currently have a package (room, tix w/PH) with my parents. We have 4-day PH staying 5 days (Wednesday, the 18th is not a ticket usage day as my parents arrive in MCO from SEA). I decided to arrive the day before and
1. looking at a 2-day ticket w/o PH as I can get in some Tuesday and most day Wednesday as folks arrive at 6 pm.
2. I know I can't add onto the package we currently have as it would have to be applied to everyone.

With all that said, I'm considering upgrading to AP as I'm planning on going in 2021.
3. Can I combine all those days towards the price of the AP?
1. Very expensive to do that. Using two separate tickets for one stay is not economical.
2. Correct.
3. Sorry, but no. Multiple tickets cannot be "combined" for an upgrade.

Unless there is some sort of "ticket requirement" for your room, you would be better off to cancel the "package" tickets and just buy stand-alone tickets for everyone.
I don't know how much (if any) "penalty fee" there would be to cancel your package tickets at this point.

Hats off to Robo for all the great info in this thread. I was able to figure out the exact value of my 2 pre-2016-6 day hoppers and the exact cost to upgrade them to 9 day hoppers, to be used Mar. 8-18. My sister and her hubby linked them to their accounts and then called the ticket phone number AND THEY WERE ABLE TO UPGRADE THE TICKETS OVER THE PHONE SO THEY CAN MAKE 9 DAYS WORTH OF FASTPASS RESERVATIONS AT 60 DAYS! I was shocked that they didn't have to wait to upgrade at Guest Relations since the 6 day hoppers were purchased long ago at Undercover Tourist!

1. Very expensive to do that. Using two separate tickets for one stay is not economical.
2. Correct.
3. Sorry, but no. Multiple tickets cannot be "combined" for an upgrade.

Unless there is some sort of "ticket requirement" for your room, you would be better off to cancel the "package" tickets and just buy stand-alone tickets for everyone.
I don't know how much (if any) "penalty fee" there would be to cancel your package tickets at this point.
To your response for #3, I was meaning my ticket. The 2-day and the 4-day ticket. The 4-day ticket is part of a package and we are going in March. My folks have paid for the package and have paid it off already. We used a TA. I would imagine my TA would have to cancel our package and reserve it again for us and then my folks would have to use their CC again to purchase which is what I DON'T want to happen as I want this to not be known I'm arriving early. I have some things planned for them prior to their arrival so that's why I'm sneaking around.

I, on the other hand, decided a couple of weeks ago to fly in the day before and I want to go to a couple of parks before they get in. I rather not let them know I'm getting in early as I will never hear the end of it for various reasons so I'm sneaking in without them so they don't know I'm doing this. I priced it for room only and ticket vs. a package and it's not that much more so I'm doing a package. But I need my Disney fix and want to be selfish to get into a couple of parks.

So I wanted to combine only MY tickets (2 & 4-day) to get an annual pass. I know I can't combine all of our tickets. Is this possible? Or will I have to just use the 4-day ticket price before the last day to get the annual pass?

A. To your response for #3, I was meaning my ticket. The 2-day and the 4-day ticket. The 4-day ticket is part of a package and we are going in March.

My folks have paid for the package and have paid it off already. We used a TA. I would imagine my TA would have to cancel our package and reserve it again for us and then my folks would have to use their CC again to purchase which is what I DON'T want to happen as I want this to not be known I'm arriving early. I have some things planned for them prior to their arrival so that's why I'm sneaking around.

B. I, on the other hand, decided a couple of weeks ago to fly in the day before and I want to go to a couple of parks before they get in. I rather not let them know I'm getting in early as I will never hear the end of it for various reasons so I'm sneaking in without them so they don't know I'm doing this.

C. I priced it for room only and ticket vs. a package and it's not that much more so I'm doing a package.
But I need my Disney fix and want to be selfish to get into a couple of parks.

D. So I wanted to combine only MY tickets (2 & 4-day) to get an annual pass.
E. I know I can't combine all of our tickets.
F. Is this possible?
G. Or will I have to just use the 4-day ticket price before the last day to get the annual pass?
A. I understand, and I'm saying that you cannot use the value of your 2-day AND your 4-day ticket combined to upgrade to AP. You can choose EITHER of them to upgrade to AP, but not both.
B. Sounds like fun, but ticketing rules can't help you with that.
C. In most cases, there should be no difference in price between booking a "room WITH tickets"
vs. booking a room -AND- buying the same kind of tickets, stand-alone.
(And if you bought your tickets from a discounter, you'd save even more.)
D. As I said, you can't do that. It is not allowed. Upgrades are strictly one ticket per upgrade.
E. I didn't mention combining ALL of the tickets. I just said that MULTIPLE tickets (meaning more than one) cannot be "combined" for an upgrade.
F. Nope.
G. In this case, you should choose to upgrade the 2-day ticket to AP. (Because you will have started USING that ticket first during this trip.)
And then, USE the AP for the remaining 4 days of this trip (after everybody else has arrived.)
Then, you'd just KEEP your 4 day (package) ticket you did not upgrade and use its value in the future to buy a new ticket or AP at such time as you need it, in for another WDW trip.
Is this going to make your ticket cost (including the AP) more expensive during this first trip?
Yes. And, that's why I said you could save that situation by buying everyone's tickets separate from the room charge.
I understand that doesn't suit your plans, but it is going to cost you extra to do what you have planned.

Last edited:
A. I understand, and I'm saying that you cannot use the value of your 2-day AND your 4-day ticket combined to upgrade to AP. You can choose EITHER of them to upgrade to AP, but not both.
B. Sounds like fun, but ticketing rules can't help you with that.
C. In most cases, there should be no difference in price between booking a "room WITH tickets"
vs. booking a room -AND- buying the same kind of tickets, stand-alone.
(And if you bought your tickets from a discounter, you'd save even more.)
D. As I said, you can't do that. It is not allowed. Upgrades are strictly one ticket per upgrade.
E. I didn't mention combining ALL of the tickets. I just said that MULTIPLE tickets (meaning more than one) cannot be "combined" for an upgrade.
F. Nope.
G. In this case, you should choose to upgrade the 2-day ticket to AP. (Because you will have started USING that ticket first during this trip.)
And then, USE the AP for the remaining 4 days of this trip (after everybody else has arrived.)
Then, you'd just KEEP your 4 day (package) ticket you did not upgrade and use its value in the future to buy a new ticket or AP at such time as you need it, in for another WDW trip.
Is this going to make your ticket cost (including the AP) more expensive during this first trip?
Yes. And, that's why I said you could save that situation by buying everyone's tickets separate from the room charge.
I understand that doesn't suit your plans, but it is going to cost you extra to do what you have planned.

Thanks, Robo! I appreciate your explanations!

I recently purchased a Florida Resident package (Spring into 2020 room only, plus 3-day Florida Resident tickets at $109 per day, added park hopper option + added on DDP).

Now I see that, starting January 2nd, they'll be offering a FL Resident 3-Day Discover Disney Ticket for $175.

Am I able to purchase the new ticket deal and cancel the previous tickets? The trip is in March...

I recently purchased a Florida Resident package (Spring into 2020 room only, plus 3-day Florida Resident tickets at $109 per day, added park hopper option + added on DDP).

Now I see that, starting January 2nd, they'll be offering a FL Resident 3-Day Discover Disney Ticket for $175.

Am I able to purchase the new ticket deal and cancel the previous tickets? The trip is in March...
Yes.

Question, I purchased a 7 day ticket from a discount site for an upcoming trip. Plans have changed and we are now going to go to the park on arrival day as well so I would like to add an 8th day to the ticket. Can I bridge the ticket at guest relations as soon as I arrive or do I need to scan into the park first? Will it mess up my FP for day 8 if I don't get around to upgrading the ticket until partway through the trip since right now I have FP booked for days 2-8? Hopefully the question makes sense!

Question, I purchased a 7 day ticket from a discount site for an upcoming trip. Plans have changed and we are now going to go to the park on arrival day as well so I would like to add an 8th day to the ticket.
1. Can I bridge the ticket at guest relations as soon as I arrive
2. or do I need to scan into the park first?
3. Will it mess up my FP for day 8 if I don't get around to upgrading the ticket until partway through the trip since right now I have FP booked for days 2-8? Hopefully the question makes sense!
1. Yes.
2. Nope.
3. If you upgrade on the FIRST day (I recommend that you do that) after the upgrade, your MDX account will still see that you have a valid "8th day" ticket remaining for the last day.

1. Yes.
2. Nope.
3. If you upgrade on the FIRST day (I recommend that you do that) after the upgrade, your MDX account will still see that you have a valid "8th day" ticket remaining for the last day.
Thanks! I have to go to GR to activate my AP the first day anyway so I was hoping I could take care of my mom's ticket at the same time.

Here is my situation. Our annual passes expired 12/30/19 and I needed to renew them by Jan 1st because it is our fastpass date for our March 1st trip. I wanted to use gift cards to do it. The online renew ap option would not take two giftcards, so I called Disney so that they could apply the two giftcards to my renewal. What I ended up with is something called Disney Platinum Plus - Renewal Certificate. After the purchase was complete the CM told me that I would receive a code to use to link the renewal to my MDE account. She also said that I had to activate it at a ticket window. The ticket has the option to reassign it and lists an expiration date of 12/31/2030, even though it should be 12/30/2020.

I renewed my husband's ap two days later via the online renewal on the website using one giftcard and a credit card to pay the balance due. The cost of the renewal is over $1,000, which is why I needed two forms a payment when doing it online. His annual pass doesn't say renewal certificate and it looks like it is active now.

Do you think I will have to go to a ticket booth to activate my ap renewal certificate? If yes, then where is the ticket booth at Disney Springs located. We plan to go there when we arrive. Thanks.

Last edited:
Here is my situation. Our annual passes expired 12/30/19 and I needed to renew them by Jan 1st because it is our fastpass date for our March 1st trip. I wanted to use gift cards to do it. The online renew ap option would not take two giftcards, so I called Disney so that they could apply the two giftcards to my renewal. What I ended up with is something called Disney Platinum Plus - Renewal Certificate. After the purchase was complete the CM told me that I would receive a code to use to link the renewal to my MDE account. She also said that I had to activate it at a ticket window.
1. The ticket has the option to reassign it and lists an expiration date of 12/31/2030, even though it should be 12/30/2020.

I renewed my husband's ap two days later via the online renewal on the website using one giftcard and a credit card to pay the balance due. The cost of the renewal is over $1,000, which is why I needed two forms a payment when doing it online.
2. His annual pass doesn't say renewal certificate and it looks like it is active now.
3. Do you think I will have to go to a ticket booth to activate my ap renewal certificate? If yes, then
4. where is the ticket booth at Disney Springs located. We plan to go there when we arrive. Thanks.
1. That is the standard "default date" for expiration of an AP Certificate.
2. If his AP expired 12/30/19, then yes, the renewed AP would be active at this time.
3. Looks like it. You'd need to pick up the 2020 "AP CARD" (for discounts) -for each of you- anyway.
4. You want the DS Disney Ticket Center.
(Purple arrow below.)

Last edited:
Looking for a little advice. I purchased an 8 day PH e-ticket from UCT last year, before the last price increase.
It expires this month, but has no date-of-use. ( I thought I would be touring last fall, but plans fell through.)
My trip is scheduled for May. I realize I won't be able to use the expired ticket to make fast passes, so what's
my best option? I can still renew my AP, but can't apply the PH ticket to the price, unless I do that in person.
Any thoughts?
Should I bite the bullet and renew, and hope that I can tour again in the fall? Should I just buy
a new ticket for my May trip, and try to do something with the e-ticket when I'm there??? With all of the ticket
changes, things are SO much more complicated.....

1. Should I bite the bullet and renew, and hope that I can tour again in the fall?
2. Should I just buy a new ticket for my May trip, and try to do something with the e-ticket when I'm there???
3. With all of the ticket
changes, things are SO much more complicated.....
1. Even if you're less than certain, you know your potential schedule better then we do.
2. If making FP reservations in advance are a priority, then this will be a way to do that.
Otherwise, you can just wait until you arrive to use the value of your expired ticket to purchase a current ticket.

Thanks, Robo. Since I'm going with a friend in May who already has a ticket purchased, I think I
will just buy a new ticket so we can make our Fast Passes. And I'll sort out the e-ticket when I get
there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter