If you have an AP, can you purchase a single day water park ticket or do you have to upgrade to the water park option on the AP?

I have free dining for this Thanksgiving for 5 people. Two of us already have AP's and the other three can get military tickets.
1. I know you can transfer unused tickets to others in your MDX but can you transfer an unused expired ticket's value to someone else or would you need to use that ticket's value to buy another ticket and then transfer that ticket?
2. We are not renewing our AP's so how do we change two of our tickets from this trip for use on our next trip in May 2020?

Thanks for any help.

I have free dining for this Thanksgiving for 5 people. Two of us already have AP's and the other three can get military tickets.
1. I know you can transfer unused tickets to others in your MDX but can you transfer an unused expired ticket's value to someone else or would you need to use that ticket's value to buy another ticket and then transfer that ticket?
2. We are not renewing our AP's so how do we change two of our tickets from this trip for use on our next trip in May 2020?

Thanks for any help.
1. I doubt that anybody actually knows. I don't know if it has ever come up.
My guess is that you would you need to use that ticket's value to buy another ticket and then transfer that ticket.
2. You can ask at any Guest Relations at WDW to change the date on your tickets
(and pay the up charge, if any.)

I tried to look through the first page on upgrading but my kids are with me, we are on vacation, and this trip is a surprise for them! We currently have 4 daypark hoppers with the “free” dining from our Disney visa. I wanted to possibly upgrade our tickets to 5 day park hoppers but trying to see the cost. We are 2 adults and 2 children. We are going first week of August and we booked in June if that makes a difference.

Need some advice - thought I was being smart, compared all the park hopper prices for discounted tickets vs Disney prices to buy something to upgrade to an AP. Found what seemed to be the best overall discount in a 10 day hopper. OOPS! forgot about the 'ticket issue date'! So I have a refundable ticket from UT, dated in 2017, worth $14 less than what I paid for it in an upgrade. So, it's going back. Wondering now if I should just get a 7 day in the hopes that it will be more recent because they are a more popular option, or call UT and ask about the dates on the ticket. Anything I haven't considered? Thanks for your wonderful thread!

Never mind - I did some checking on the UT website and there is a 5% fee for returning the ticket, so I am stuck with it! Lesson learned. I called and asked about possibly exchanging it to a 7 day, was told they don't do exchanges. They definitely exchanged my Universal tickets last fall when a new promo came out! I think with all the Disney ticket changes, I am done buying from UT. At least I can comfort myself with the thought that I got about $25 worth of travel credit for the purchase (UT codes as travel whereas Disney direct purchases do not.)

Last edited:
I tried to look through the first page on upgrading but my kids are with me, we are on vacation, and this trip is a surprise for them! We currently have 4 daypark hoppers with the “free” dining from our Disney visa. I wanted to possibly upgrade our tickets to 5 day park hoppers but trying to see the cost. We are 2 adults and 2 children. We are going first week of August and we booked in June if that makes a difference.

Just go to the Disney website and price out the cost of a 4 day hopper vs the 5 day hopper. You will pay the difference in price between the two. (Assuming you got the tickets through Disney when you booked your package).

Just go to the Disney website and price out the cost of a 4 day hopper vs the 5 day hopper. You will pay the difference in price between the two. (Assuming you got the tickets through Disney when you booked your package).

Thanks for the info! So it looks like it’s only about $40 to add a day. We might do it, I will have to see how the kids are feeling. We are staying at the Contemporary so MK and Epcot are easy enough to get to.

Need some advice - thought I was being smart, compared all the park hopper prices for discounted tickets vs Disney prices to buy something to upgrade to an AP. Found what seemed to be the best overall discount in a 10 day hopper. OOPS! forgot about the 'ticket issue date'! So I have a refundable ticket from UT, dated in 2017, worth $14 less than what I paid for it in an upgrade.

I'm not sure that I understand. Could you clarify... 1) when did you buy this ticket, and 2) did you already upgrade it? I'm not following how a 2017 10-day ticket could be worth more than a current AP.

For the procedure and cost to upgrade tickets, Read Post #6 on the thread on which we are now posting.

Need some advice - thought I was being smart, compared all the park hopper prices for discounted tickets vs Disney prices to buy something to upgrade to an AP. Found what seemed to be the best overall discount in a 10 day hopper. OOPS! forgot about the 'ticket issue date'! So I have a refundable ticket from UT, dated in 2017, worth $14 less than what I paid for it in an upgrade.

When did you buy this UT ticket?
It WILL be upgradable to an AP.
It will nearly certainly offer more than you paid for it in the AP upgrade.
(Even if is now "expired.")

For the procedure and cost to upgrade tickets, Read Post #6 on the thread on which we are now posting.

When did you buy this UT ticket?
It WILL be upgradable to an AP.
It will nearly certainly offer more than you paid for it in the AP upgrade.
(Even if is now "expired.")

I just got it today. Paid $562.43. It's not expired, start date during October 2019. However the issue date on ticket is 10/2017, which according to the chart on page 1 means it is worth $548.48 in an AP upgrade. So to me that looks like I am losing money on the deal. Did not consider a ticket I just bought would be that old. It would cost me $28 to return it to UT, so it is just a cautionary tale I guess.

I wonder if I had bought an e-ticket instead of a hard ticket if it would have had the same issue? do the e-tickets from resellers have issue dates also?

Last edited:
I just got it today. Paid $562.43. It's not expired, start date during October 2019. However the issue date on ticket is 10/2017, which according to the chart on page 1 means it is worth $548.48 in an AP upgrade. So to me that looks like I am losing money on the deal. Did not consider a ticket I just bought would be that old. It would cost me $28 to return it to UT, so it is just a cautionary tale I guess.
They did not start issuing Date-based ("start-dated") tickets until Oct. 16, 2018.
So, if you DO have a ticket with a stated start-date of Oct. 2019 (that should have an ACTUAL DATE
- not just a month) it is a Date-based ticket.
So, it would be considered a "current ticket" (maybe not the newest, but we don't know that, yet) for the purposes of upgrading.

The date of issue of "10/2017" may or may not be relevant to this discussion.
We just don't know, yet.
What we DO know is that a ticket that was ACTUALLY "ready for use" in Oct. of 2017, would already be expired by now. Because... --2017 tickets' expiration date: First use must be on or before December 31, 2018.

Last edited:
They did not start issuing Date-based ("start-dated") tickets until Oct. 16, 2018.
So, if you DO have a ticket with a stated start-date of Oct. 2019 (that should have an ACTUAL DATE
- not just a month) it is a Date-based ticket.
So, it would be considered a "current ticket" (maybe not the newest, but we don't know that, yet) for the purposes of upgrading.

The date of issue of "10/2017" may or may not be relevant to this discussion.
We just don't know, yet.
What we DO know is that a ticket that was ACTUALLY "ready for use" in Oct. of 2017, would be long-expired by now. Because... --2017 tickets' expiration date: First use must be on or before December 31, 2018.
Somewhat comforting. I will find out in October when I upgrade it. I was going by this from post 6-

NOTE: The date on which you BOUGHT a ticket from an authorized ticket reseller is not necessarily the date on which the ticket was "minted" (created) by Disney.
(The resellers sell from "old stock" tickets until they need to order "new stock" tickets.)
So, it is quite possible that if you bought tickets from a reseller/discounter a short time after a WDW ticket price increase, the tickets you have will be from the previous year's stock.
That doesn't matter if you use the tickets as-is, but if you intend to upgrade, it can mean
a higher price to do so.

1. Somewhat comforting. I will find out in October when I upgrade it. I was going by this from post 6-

2. NOTE: The date on which you BOUGHT a ticket from an authorized ticket reseller is not necessarily the date on which the ticket was "minted" (created) by Disney.
(The resellers sell from "old stock" tickets until they need to order "new stock" tickets.)
So, it is quite possible that if you bought tickets from a reseller/discounter a short time after a WDW ticket price increase, the tickets you have will be from the previous year's stock.
That doesn't matter if you use the tickets as-is, but if you intend to upgrade, it can mean
a higher price to do so.
1. UT can tell you that info NOW.
(Call again and specifically ask when THEY "activated" your ticket.)

2. That should not apply to YOUR ticket.
That normally only applies to tickets VERY RECENTLY-purchased after a price increase.
(Key phrase: "if you bought tickets from a reseller/discounter a short time after a WDW ticket price increase...")
i.e., They should have stopped selling actual 2017 tickets in late 2017, or so.

Again, does YOUR ticket have an EXACT "start-date?"
That would answer a major point.

1. UT can tell you that info NOW.
(Call again and specifically ask when THEY "activated" your ticket.)

2. That should not apply to YOUR ticket.
That normally only applies to VERY RECENT tickets.
(i.e., They should have stopped selling actual 2017 tickets in late 2017, or so.)

Again, does YOUR ticket have an EXACT "start-date?"
That would answer a major point.
Yes I specified a start date when I bought it. I talked to UT several times today and am done. I will be upgrading it in any event so I'm glad to hear it probably won't be as expensive as I am fearing.

Now that I am looking at it again there are 2 dates on the receipt from UT (but not on the ticket), one in 10/17 and one in July 19 so hopefully that is it. Thanks for your help! You should get paid for this.

You really need to know these details so that you won't end up paying too much for the upgrade
during your trip.

Last edited:
You are the second poster recently to mention a “10/2017” on a recently-purchased ticket. I wonder if it has something to do with physical card stock blanks, a number that identifies UT, or something else mundane but unrelated to actual ticket value. A 10-day hopper this October should have a value of $617.18 to $627.10 depending on start date.

Enjoy your vacation!

What we DO know is that a ticket that was ACTUALLY "ready for use" in Oct. of 2017, would already be expired by now. Because... --2017 tickets' expiration date: First use must be on or before December 31, 2018.
Have there been any/many? reports of people with tickets that expired at the end of last year, being able to upgrade their expired tickets to an AP over the phone? Or does an expired ticket have to be dealt with in person.

You are the second poster recently to mention a “10/2017” on a recently-purchased ticket. I wonder if it has something to do with physical card stock blanks, a number that identifies UT, or something else mundane but unrelated to actual ticket value. A 10-day hopper this October should have a value of $617.18 to $627.10 depending on start date.

Enjoy your vacation!
Thanks! Yes, I am hoping that is all it is - the stock of cards. I was expecting the $617.18 value upon upgrade. Further research - my MNSSHP ticket purchased a while ago from UT has a date of 11/17 on the card. Just had a temporary freak out when I saw the date on my new hopper, I am going into Zen mode and not worrying about it anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter