Throwaway room (read post #2041 or #2710 before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a huge thread on this forum telling people in great detail how to stack up bands to get sdfp and openly admitting to cancelling their reservations- quite proud of it in fact. Some people are going in with a backpack full.

Had we wanted to do that we'd have a ton-

Had our first trip- 4 bands, but 1 was for under 3 so there's 1 extra. Plus we all got ap's- that's 4 more, just don't link them to MDE. 2nd trip- 6 bands- don't link them and since 2 people that were going, can't and 1 is still under 3, we'll only really need 3.

My gosh, the math....that's 8 extra magic bands we can do sdfp with. Right? Add that to what wonders we can do with our baby swap and I don't think there's enough hours in the day to use it all.

Imagine if I booked a throwaway campsite for 10- limitless possibilities.

I read on another forum where someone is actually doing it for profit- renting a campsite, then "selling" reservations spots for a fee to up to 10 people.

As with all of this, Disney could fix it anytime they choose. They made a system with more holes than swiss cheese.

Honestly, I don't know why you'd need extra bands- the day is only so long and there are only so many rides that even need a fp. We never found a time that we could've made real use of an extra band- and we had one right there with us. And this was with the parks packed.

Sometimes, I just shake my head and wonder ***....

It's the "power users" that used to get 10+ FPs by their touring strategies, now miffed that they can't ride Space Mountain four times in a row with a FP. :)

If the loophole is programmatic in nature, it does take time to fix. Need to test that it doesn't break other things, etc.

When someone (KennyThePirate?) discovered the "check in for FP+, then switch to another FP+" loophole and advertised it after getting something like 20+ FP+ in one day, they closed that within a few days.

With a big thread adverrising it, and people obviously exploiting it for money, etc., I'm sure it will be getting some attention.

This is a LOT like when it was discovered that anything with a readable magnetic stripe would get you a FP in the old kiosks. It became well advertised and Disney fixed it pretty quick after. It was still mentioned you could do it in publications long after it was fixed too...

Oh well, we like to sit back and smell the roses these days-

Rides are great, but there's so much more to Disney than rides that we ride what we can, what we miss we catch the next trip.

Life's too short to work that hard.

cakebaker said:
You should jump in those threads where people are staying 4-6 days complaining they can't get anything because the longer stays are eating up all the fp's.

To be fair, people aren't saying they can't get *anything*. The majority of the complaints are about not being able to get Anna and Elsa - which the pp here didn't get either - or SDMT, which seems to be hit or miss depending on your timing.

I have sdmt fp+, but wasn't able to get Anna and Elsa..even tried looking for 1 person, and no luck.

You are assuming there will be that many FPs available the day of at park kiosks? :confused3

Yep, we'll stop by a kiosk pretty much first thing, make our selections and move on. Several have shared their success, 7DMT, A&E, Soarin' unlikely - no worries, already have those with our pre booked fp+ :-)

Yep, we'll stop by a kiosk pretty much first thing, make our selections and move on. Several have shared their success, 7DMT, A&E, Soarin' unlikely - no worries, already have those with our pre booked fp+ :-)

But when I can't get them, I know it was because of all these extra MagicBand users... :)

That's what I was referring to when I said something a few pages back about fake names to get extra fps. Everyone indicated I was making it up. Thanks for proving my words; I wasn't going to go through a lengthy argument to justify what I wrote. As I said to each his own.

No one suggested you were making it up. We were just talking about something else for the last 100 or so pages...

Wow having been to WDW 50+ times one would think I would know all of this. There's a whole underworld to Disney. That's an awful lot of work. As someone who has used a time share for most of these visits I chose to start staying onsite for the last 3 trips. I like the ease of it. I'm not in a cramped room either; I stay in the DVC villas. I can easily understand where some people who save and pay their way through the Disney onsite visits would be upset with those who choose to circumvent the system. To each his own I just prefer to be honest. Plus, that's too much dang work.

I was a little surprised how little I knew about what was going on in the "underworld of Disney" too :lmao:

That's what I was referring to when I said something a few pages back about fake names to get extra fps. Everyone indicated I was making it up. Thanks for proving my words; I wasn't going to go through a lengthy argument to justify what I wrote. As I said to each his own.

I remember your comments were met with several responses telling you that it was impossible to do and that the only way to have a band was to associate it with MDE- in effect saying you were just pulling the idea out of thin air.

I was a little surprised there were people who really didn't know this happens since it's a fairly prominent and active thread on the Dis these days.

I remember your comments were met with several responses telling you that it was impossible to do and that the only way to have a band was to associate it with MDE- in effect saying you were just pulling the idea out of thin air.

I was a little surprised there were people who really didn't know this happens since it's a fairly prominent and active thread on the Dis these days.
Well, you can put sugar on it, wrap it up, put a bow on it, and it is what it is. You can't have an honest debate where the moral compass doesn't exist.
I'll have to admit this thread (and the max fp thread) make me a little sad. I came here for tips on getting through the parks and how to get the ADRs you want, sharing experiences, not a tutorial on how to circumvent the system. I don't know. I chose not to respond for the last 100 or so pages because 1) I put people on ignore (I refuse to rise to the bait) and 2) I saw otherwise sane adults being reduced to nothing more than schoolyard bullies; sneering, laughing in other's faces, purposely baiting people, just awful behavior, and I chose not to participate.
Somehow, this thread (and the other fp thread) just doesn't seem to be in line with the other informative topics on the DISboards.

:confused3

Just booked the last of our 8 days of FPs at 60 days, as a result of a throwaway campsite.:banana:

I ended up with SDMT twice for our group and excellent times for all other attractions I wanted.

Combine the 9 "free" magic bands for our group, the extra days to book dining and the free parking and it was certainly the best $65 I have ever spent.

Now - if I can also score a BOG Lunch FP at 30-27 days out it will be literally perfect.

If only getting a A&E FP was not like finding a unicorn!!

Bed tomorrow night before midnight is going to feel like heaven! :eek:

Just booked the last of our 8 days of FPs at 60 days, as a result of a throwaway campsite.:banana:

I ended up with SDMT twice for our group and excellent times for all other attractions I wanted.

Combine the 9 "free" magic bands for our group, the extra days to book dining and the free parking and it was certainly the best $65 I have ever spent.

Now - if I can also score a BOG Lunch FP at 30-27 days out it will be literally perfect.

If only getting a A&E FP was not like finding a unicorn!!

Bed tomorrow night before midnight is going to feel like heaven! :eek:

Thanks Canuckbiggs, enjoy your early bed time tonight :goodvibes

Karen :)

It's the "power users" that used to get 10+ FPs by their touring strategies, now miffed that they can't ride Space Mountain four times in a row with a FP. :)

If the loophole is programmatic in nature, it does take time to fix. Need to test that it doesn't break other things, etc.

When someone (KennyThePirate?) discovered the "check in for FP+, then switch to another FP+" loophole and advertised it after getting something like 20+ FP+ in one day, they closed that within a few days.
With a big thread adverrising it, and people obviously exploiting it for money, etc., I'm sure it will be getting some attention.

This is a LOT like when it was discovered that anything with a readable magnetic stripe would get you a FP in the old kiosks. It became well advertised and Disney fixed it pretty quick after. It was still mentioned you could do it in publications long after it was fixed too...

You feel comfortable saying " someone " adding a question mark and naming him :confused3

If you are wrong it isn't fair in my opinion to put this out there. If it was him, are you sure he was " advertising " it which basically means condones it OR was he pointing out that people were stooping to this level.

So, I finally broke down and read this thread. Man, that took a long time! :lmao:

Now my head is spinning! :faint:

What I've learned is that booking a room and not staying in it is considered unethical by some. Others feel it's fine as long as you don't cancel the reservation and keep the perks associated with the cancelled reservation. But there's a third school of thought maintaining that it is actually more considerate to cancel if you're not actually sleeping in the room (especially campground reservations) so that others are not prevented from reserving that space. Apparently, it's also selfish to plan a 1-night camping trip and actually stay there, because those who camp for a week still get blocked from using that site.

:headache:

In terms of the actual mechanics of the system and what perks you get with a throwaway room, it appears that you will definitely get free parking for the length of your reservation and possibly for the entire length of your tickets (that last one confuses me because even if you ARE staying onsite, you only get free parking for the dates of your actual reservation).

Having the throwaway room means that you get to book FP+ at 60 days instead of 30 days (that part I understand). Tell me if I've got this next part correct or not. Because FP+ is linked to your TICKETS and not room reservation, you get 10 days worth of FP+ if you have 10-day tickets (whether staying off-site or on-site). So, the only difference I see with that is being able to make the FP+ reservations 30 days earlier (which is admittedly a big deal) if you have ANY on-site reservation (even a 1-night reservation that may or may not be a "throwaway" room). But it's not getting you any extra FPs.

But here's the rub... then I read posts about having multiple sets of MBs and using those to get same day FP+ first thing in the morning (unrelated to the three you have pre-reserved). So now I'm thinking that even ON-site guests are booking an additional throwaway room (and maybe cancelling the reservation) to get extra MBs which ARE getting them more FP+ (albeit not more pre-reserved FP+... only what they can get on the morning of). But these extra MBs may or may not have to be associated with the same or a different MDE account or maybe not associated with any MDE account.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Man, oh man. I'm glad they replaced all of the "secret handshakes" * of legacy FP and replaced it with such a simple, straightforward system. :rolleyes2

* disclaimer: The only "secret" about legacy FP was that you could use it even after the printed time on the slip. Well, that and the "secret" fact that arriving early = FPs available.

So, I finally broke down and read this thread. Man, that took a long time! :lmao:

Now my head is spinning! :faint:

What I've learned is that booking a room and not staying in it is considered unethical by some. Others feel it's fine as long as you don't cancel the reservation and keep the perks associated with the cancelled reservation. But there's a third school of thought maintaining that it is actually more considerate to cancel if you're not actually sleeping in the room (especially campground reservations) so that others are not prevented from reserving that space. Apparently, it's also selfish to plan a 1-night camping trip and actually stay there, because those who camp for a week still get blocked from using that site.

:headache:

In terms of the actual mechanics of the system and what perks you get with a throwaway room, it appears that you will definitely get free parking for the length of your reservation and possibly for the entire length of your tickets (that last one confuses me because even if you ARE staying onsite, you only get free parking for the dates of your actual reservation).

Having the throwaway room means that you get to book FP+ at 60 days instead of 30 days (that part I understand). Tell me if I've got this next part correct or not. Because FP+ is linked to your TICKETS and not room reservation, you get 10 days worth of FP+ if you have 10-day tickets (whether staying off-site or on-site). So, the only difference I see with that is being able to make the FP+ reservations 30 days earlier (which is admittedly a big deal) if you have ANY on-site reservation (even a 1-night reservation that may or may not be a "throwaway" room). But it's not getting you any extra FPs.

But here's the rub... then I read posts about having multiple sets of MBs and using those to get same day FP+ first thing in the morning (unrelated to the three you have pre-reserved). So now I'm thinking that even ON-site guests are booking an additional throwaway room (and maybe cancelling the reservation) to get extra MBs which ARE getting them more FP+ (albeit not more pre-reserved FP+... only what they can get on the morning of). But these extra MBs may or may not have to be associated with the same or a different MDE account or maybe not associated with any MDE account.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Man, oh man. I'm glad they replaced all of the "secret handshakes" * of legacy FP and replaced it with such a simple, straightforward system. :rolleyes2

* disclaimer: The only "secret" about legacy FP was that you could use it even after the printed time on the slip. Well, that and the "secret" fact that arriving early = FPs available.

Yep. We're definitely into "exploding head" territory. :faint:

After all those prior discussions about how "unfair" legacy FP was, this is really pretty comical, don't you think? I mean, really....... it's almost like someone is making this stuff up.

Yep. We're definitely into "exploding head" territory. :faint:

After all those prior discussions about how "unfair" legacy FP was, this is really pretty comical, don't you think? I mean, really....... it's almost like someone is making this stuff up.

You can't make this "stuff" up.

mom2rtk, while you and others have been enjoying legacy FP on the west coast, I've been enjoying it here "across the pond." :)

When the next WDW trip rolls around (which will honestly still be at least 1-2 years from now), I hope to have re-learned all of the ins and outs of the system. But even then, it seems like a crapshoot to get some of the most coveted FPs. Back in "the day" I had nothing to worry about because I knew I would just show up early and head there first. Sure, I had to accept the assigned time, but now it seems that many people are getting blocked out altogether.

By the time I visit Florida again, maybe they'll have done away with some of the more complex "loopholes." If not, I'll have to consult a moral advisor to determine which theme park strategies are ethical and which are not!

You can't make this "stuff" up.

mom2rtk, while you and others have been enjoying legacy FP on the west coast, I've been enjoying it here "across the pond." :)

When the next WDW trip rolls around (which will honestly still be at least 1-2 years from now), I hope to have re-learned all of the ins and outs of the system. But even then, it seems like a crapshoot to get some of the most coveted FPs. Back in "the day" I had nothing to worry about because I knew I would just show up early and head there first. Sure, I had to accept the assigned time, but now it seems that many people are getting blocked out altogether.

By the time I visit Florida again, maybe they'll have done away with some of the more complex "loopholes." If not, I'll have to consult a moral advisor to determine which theme park strategies are ethical and which are not!

That's exactly where I'm at with it. I hope we'll feel comfortable heading back to WDW next fall, and if we do, I want to be up to date on all of this. Can you imagine starting from scratch? No thanks.

And if you need input on whether something is moral, just post a thread here on the DIS. I'm sure you'll get lots of "input". :lmao:

That's exactly where I'm at with it. I hope we'll feel comfortable heading back to WDW next fall, and if we do, I want to be up to date on all of this. Can you imagine starting from scratch? No thanks. And if you need input on whether something is moral, just post a thread here on the DIS. I'm sure you'll get lots of "input". :lmao:

Bwaaahaaaahaaa! WWTDD.

:I read all these threads yesterday, yep, I admit it. By the time my hubby came home from work, I was really worked up! I told him in a rush of words what all was on the threads, what I was worried about, etc, etc. I must have looked really upset:( He just listened patiently, and then said," We're going to Disney! It will be fun, as always! If we don't get up at the crack of midnite to do fp's, that's okay. We will ride what we can, do what we want, and just have fun:goodvibes Don't listen to all this stuff and don't stress about it! We're going to Disney, our favorite magical place, and it will all work out!:hippie: Wow, did I need that dose of common sense. We'll go to Disney in November and have a ball, even if we don't get coveted fp's. Just wanted to shed a little common sense on the subject. Have a magical day:wizard:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter