Three Things...Gratitude Thread

Plant Appreciation 🪴

Evergreen trees -- I grew up with them; they give us some green through winter, and they make great Christmas trees!!

Aromatics -- lemon balm, mint, lavender, orange blossom etc. etc.

Woodland flowers -- bluebells, primroses, snowbells. I love scattering of flowers growing around tree trunks.

(Sat, 4/13) - 3 plants / growing things you're grateful for

1. Very appropriate for my day today - DH and I went to a nursery to pick out trees for our yard. We built our house 2 years ago and have the yard and landscaping around the house in great shape, but have no trees. That will be changing very soon. We purchased 8 trees to be planted around the yard and I can't wait!

2. Bucket / Container gardens. My dad always grew them (mainly tomatoes)!

3. Grass - DH runs a lawn care department at the company we both work for. So, in a way, grass provides a living for our family! I've come to learn through his job that some people are crazy about their yards! I do love the look of them and kind of take ours for granted since DH takes such good care of it!

Good Morning!

#1 - A meal cooking - I love it when I walk in our front door and smell dinner cooking, because that means DH made it and I don’t have to - it’s wonderful!

#2 - Sunmer smells - I love floating in my pool smelling fresh cut grass and people using their grills. It all smells so summery.

#3 - My Grandma’s House (RIP) - I always loved the way her house smelled. It was my home away from home - I loved being there and I was there a lot.

Good Morning friends:grouphug:

God's blessing to me of smell period and to be able to taste and smell all things by His
Grace, that He has made new.

Christmas trees green and fresh bring extra joy and wonder, a sense of newness to my heart.

Hugs dear PollyannaMom. God Bless your Grandma. My own Grandma sure made any place she or I lived a home. Grandma rekated is the scent of freshly baking homemade cookies.

Breakfast Target brand syrup brings a simple daily smile to me.

New sneakers- it’s not all of them, but some brands/lines have this great smell. DD15 and I both love smelling a fresh pair of sneakers straight out of the box.

Turkey roasting- We really love turkey. I love when it’s cooking and the whole house smells like it.

Disney water- I’m sure you all know that scent. Every now and then, I’ll detect it somewhere outside of the parks. It’s not just chlorine, but whatever the chemical concoction may be, it evokes all sorts of emotions when you smell it.

Unpopular things:
Crocs: My shoe of choice, and I wear them all day, every day.
Oysters on the half shell
Covid Shutdown: Hear me out. I didn't enjoy the reasons or how the pandemic response changed who the people in the USA are, but I didn't not mind shut down. I enjoy being at home, spent a lot of time with my family, was able to teach/lecture remotely so our jobs weren't in jeopardy (I would have made more $$ had I been furloughed, though). I got quite a few things "done' around the house (weeded closets, refinished a floor, etc), we went for evening "happy hour" walks, morning coffee-klatch walks (so for both we saw a lot of people out walking, also... some walking with us, just on the other side of the street, etc), had friends over for yard parties (with us on the front porch and them in the yard), stuff like that. I understand shutdown was hard on many people, and while I missed being able to go out restaurants and such, I didn't hate shutdown.

Growing things:
When we left our house in Michigan, DD, who was almost 6, took a maple tree 'helicopter' seed from the front yard. We grew it in pots as we moved over the next few years, and it finally was planted here in our backyard in Maine. It's now a very tall (20ft) maple tree, happily thriving here in Orono. It's 25 years old this year!

A different kind of growing, but the resident 7yo. He experienced a lot of emotional and physical trauma when he was a toddler, and it's had its fallout on him over the years. However, he is developing, thriving, growing emotionally and mentally, as well as physically, and for that I will be eternally thankful.

My bulb garden. Things are finally starting to come up, and just this week my mini-iris bloomed (they look like iris but are the size of crocus). The daffodils are about 6" tall and although the buds aren't opened, I can see the color from the outside of the bud. I can't wait for some color, warmth, and sunshine!

Smells:

Rain on the hot sidewalks and roads in the summer.

Walking in the front door to smell the deliciousness that means DD31 has started supper. She is an awesome cook and can fill our house- and our tummies- with some amazing things!

Fresh, hot coffee. Also the smell of coffee when you first open the can. My mom always called us to the kitchen when she was opening a new can, so we could smell it. I love the way it smells, and it reminds me of being a kid.

Honorable mention to Disney smells- not that they are all awesome, but because they remind me of happy vacations with my family. The water smell (which is why we buy bottled water for making coffee), the smell of burning ruins in Spaceship Earth, the orange smell in Soarin, the chlorine of Splash Mountain on the first few runs each day... you know what I mean, you get it!

Smells - the number one thing to trigger memories !!! It’s a fact - your brain responds more to smells !!

Ocean - love smelling the ocean breeze especially on a cruise but will enjoy on a beach 🏖️

Fresh cut grass - my allergies don’t like it but I do !!! Love the smell of fresh cut grass

Citrus - lemon / lime / grapefruit - always reminds me of fresh clean things and the Caribbean - fruity drinks fun times I associate a lot to citrus smells

Bonus - puppies or kittens

1. The scent in the house when the windows are open—might be my favorite smell. Sheets dried outside on the clothesline have a similar scent.
2. Christmas Tree—we’ve had an artificial tree the last few years, but I am always trying candles and other things to get the house to smell like there’s a live tree in here at Christmastime.
3. Freshly cut grass—the smell of summer, especially a weekend day in the summer.

Unpopular Thing:
Oh, I enjoyed the covid shutdown, our youngest came to live with us April of Covid. I flew across the country to get him and it was so eerie to have empty terminals and empty flights! But that shut down allowed us a lot of extra bonding time.

Growing Things:
My kids! Youngest is 6, so we still have one to keep growing.

Smells:
cinnamon rolls or desserts fresh made
woods/nature
ocean
diesel fuel (I know, I know, but it reminds me of my childhood)

So many smells that I love! Of course, there are any smells that remind me of Disney. Even though I don’t eat meat very often, certain BBQ smells will remind me of my favorite resort, the WL.

I love the smell of garlic cooking (lightly!) in olive oil. it is always the beginning of something delicious.

Coffee!

Honorable mention, only because I haven’t smelled it in a very long time: the smell of a new baby’s head. It isn’t weird, it’s a thing! :)

GHeM2bJXcAApHv6

Definitely coffee! ☕

The sea air as you get close to the beach 🏖️

Movie theater popcorn 🍿

Christmas Tree—we’ve had an artificial tree the last few years, but I am always trying candles and other things to get the house to smell like there’s a live tree in here at Christmastime.
We buy the car air freshener trees and hide them in the branches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter