Three Things...Gratitude Thread

Today's Topic (Wed, 9/10) - spell a word with the first letters of things you're grateful for
F-Family. I love my family.
A-Animals, who are also part of our family
M-money-thankful for jobs that give provision for our family
I-ice cream
L-love-so thankful for friends and family who love me and who I love
Y-years of good health

Last edited:
Funny SU mascot thoughts...whenever people joke about Otto, I tell them about the Saltine Warrior. The response is ALWAYS...so you went from a guy glorifying salted crackers to a big piece of citrus? Obviously, I know that's not the background of the "saltine" aspect, but it gets a good laugh. Personally, I think they should have stuck with Vita the Goat!
:offtopic:When we were at SU, you could still see the Saltine Warrior at the very top of one of the buildings on Marshall St.!

https://www.franbecque.com/from-the...loring the Syracuse team to beat its opponent.

I know they moved him at least once while I was there. I grabbed a few pictures of him the last time I visited campus (2013). I shared them below. Two things gave me a good little chuckle in the article you shared...

1. It mentions the Lamda Chi Alpha brothers who served as the Saltine Warrior mascot. After the mascot was retired, the house maintained the costume. I had a number of friends in the house and one brother in particular...at least during my time there...was the one allowed to wear it at events/parties. If I went through my pics, I could probably find myself with him in costume.

2. Fran Becque, the woman who runs that site you shared, is a fellow alumni of my sorority and chapter. I believe she still serves as the national historian for our organization. Fran used to come and stay with us in the sorority house a couple of times a year while I was an active sister. It was usually when big things were going on with the chapter, but she'd peek her head in every now and then for other stuff. She has so much love for our organization and the history of these things as a whole. So, it just made me giggle a little when I saw it was Fran's site.

IMG_2026.jpegIMG_2027.jpeg

Sunlight... shimmering on water always captures my attention. It's so beautiful
Peanut butter ...I like it with savory foods rather than sweet.
Lazy rivers ...☺️
Affection (in all sorts of ways) ...it's nice to show caring
Space hoppers ...remember them?!
Hinges...and all the little things we take for granted - which make life easier - but that, once upon a time, someone had to invent.

Last edited:
Liquids...

Coffee- hot, iced, or latte, as long as there's no sugar/sweetener in it.

Tea- hot, with honey and some half-n-half. Mint, Earl Grey, Chocolate Mint (from Stash) are favorites.

From the Barcelona Lounge, at Coronado Springs. The purple one was mine. It's a floral gin with an elderflower tonic. It was AMAZING! I might have had two...
Barcelona Lounge.png

Honorable mention, from Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian. These were rum based, I believe... it's been awhile. As you can see, we enjoy our cocktails! (Bourbon is my first choice, followed by really expensive single malt, then gin...)
Tambu Lounge.png

Last edited:

Good Thursday Morning! :wave:

#1 - Stuffed or Deep Dish Pizza - Being from the Chicago area, we can have this anytime. We all love love love it!

#2 - String Cheese - It’s my favorite snack when I’m hungry and need something to sustain me until the next meal.

#3 - Grilled Cheese - I love my grilled cheese sandwiches, not ones from a restaurant. I especially love them with tomato soup.

Oh boy, cheese is my absolute favorite food! There are definitely dishes where cheese is a necessary enhancement, but things where cheese is the star...

1. Cheese & Crackers/Charcuterie- The very first thing I envisioned was sitting down with some brie or camembert and whatever cracker or toast points fit my cravings for the day. The Big Board at Wine Bar George is the first thing that popped into my mind for charcuterie. In college, my freshman year roommate and I would sit down many nights over a block of Monterey Jack, a box of Triscuits, and some spicy V8.

2. Mac & Cheese- Apparently, I make some killer mac & cheese. I will say that bronze cut pasta makes a difference, but the star of the show is the cheese. If I'm lazy or strapped for time, I do a 1-pot mac where I just melt in my variety of cheeses with heavy cream. If I've got more time, I make a roux and develop it into a cheese sauce. I still will mix in extra cheese at the end because it enhances the gooeyness factor and can help make the flavors pop a bit more. If I made a larger batch of cheese sauce and have enough leftover cheese, it goes into a Pyrex casserole dish to bake. At the end, I will add a layer of cheese to the top and broil it for a few minutes to give it that crispy top. If I want to get fancy and incorporate seafood, adding some white wine and maybe shallots to the sauce to work better with the seafood notes.

3. Pizza- I really went back and forth on this one, but I thought back to the years that I went dairy free (and gluten free) and the non-dairy cheese alternatives are just a big fat no for me. They were good enough to stop the cravings, but things like pizza just aren't the same without real cheese. In fact, I usually have extra cheese on my pizzas.

Honorable mention- I still question if it's really cheese, but Rico's...the stuff that usually ends up on nachos, is one of my most favorite things. Of the "cheese food" products, I never loved Kraft singles because my grandmother spoiled us with deli sliced American (partly because I had an allergy to the dye in Kraft as a young kid- grew out of it), Velveeta has always had too much unnatural tanginess to me, and the novelty of spray cheese wears off pretty quickly. Still, there's something about that canned or bagged liquid cheese that's magic!

Cheese is truly my favorite food, but unfortunately I have to restrict it due to my diet. But in a world where it was unrestricted, I would have to say:
Pizza with Extra cheese
Lasagna, made with whole milk ricotta and mozzarella
Mac n Cheese with extra cheesiness :)
Honorable mentions: the melted cheese on top of French onion soup, the cheddar cheese soup and pretzel breadsticks at Le Cellier, cream cheese pretzels and all cheese dips/sides at WDW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter