Three Things...Gratitude Thread

Hard question... change is hard.

Two years ago, DD/SIL and his young son (now 7.5) moved in with us. It's been a challenging adjustment for me (actually, for all of us). I've learned some stuff about myself that I wouldn't otherwise have recognized and changed. I think I am less authoritarian (?Not sure this is the word I want?), less "my home/my way of doing things" I guess is what I mean to say. I realized recently how much I like having them here, helping raise The Boy to take some of the stress off them, having the help around the house and their company. I realize that when they finally move out, it's going to be yet another hard change in my life. I love having them here.

I'm glad I am more relaxed about money. I grew up in a family of 4 kids. My dad died when we were all young, my mom had no idea of how to manage finances, and blew through the life insurance quickly. We were pretty broke most of the time, and it's warped my perception on spending. Why buy something that is bigger or better, when less will suffice? I am not saying to be wasteful, but for example, when we moved into this house, the fridge was already 20 years old, with a broken shelf and drawers that didn't stay on the runners. We kept it for another 20 years, because it worked and I wasn't willing to spend the money on a new fridge. We had the money, I just didn't see the need to replace the fridge. We finally replaced it a year ago, and I can't tell you how happy my new fridge makes me, and how much easier life is when you have an intact appliance that is big enough for use. That's just an example, but I've finally learned that it IS OK to spend some money, within reason of course, to upgrade things or to buy what you want (I'll buy something in an ugly color instead of the color I like, to save $1). This is a big change for me.

Won't go into detail, but DH and I made some changes to our personal/relationship outlook a few years ago. It's made it easier on both of us. Sometimes relationships don't change over the years, even though the people and circumstances do. Even though it was a hard conversation at the time, it was time for a change. We are both happier and more peaceful with our new understanding and view of our lives together, and our path forward through our senior years.

Changes 🤣🤣oh I’ve changed a WHOLE lot in my life lately !!! Some by my doing some not

I got my long wanted Divorce and I’m Extremely grateful that its done and I’m moving forward !! I’ve been left with a lot of issue & problems and I can’t say they don’t bother me - but I’m tackling them one day at a time to keep from getting overwhelmed! Google is my new best friend !!! I’m learning new things and gaining so much confidence as I accomplish these task !!! I’ve been told to get me a man to do this and I’m like no I’ll get a repair PERSON when I need one but otherwise I’m gonna try to do what I can when I can - I know what’s beyond me and what isn’t - I’m not stupid !!!

I’ve set up boundaries and standards and I’m sticking to them! Because of this people in my life didn’t like it sadly I’m sorry they feel this way but they’re not walking all over me anymore - I’m not your personal ATM 🏧 I have feelings too it’s not all about you - a lot of people no longer will be sitting at my table - although this makes me sad what makes me sadder as the fact that they felt that they could treat me this way and it was OK nope!

I’m slowly addressing health issues I’ve had for a long time - it’s slowly because well the divorce cost a bloody fortune so it’s slowly but I’m doing it / I’m now focusing on myself and not others !!

1. I made a change last year to try and rid my life of toxic elements. The most profound change was ditching a toxic "friend." The void was noticeable at first, but so was the added peace and positivity.

2. Vacations for us have gone through some significant changes. In 2017, I made the choice to shift away from regular travel to Disney. It was hard to pull away because we really do love the Disney Parks, but they had been making some changes of their own that made me question if my money would be better spent at other destinations. So, we changed and shifted away from Disney towards things like national parks. I'm now grateful for that Disney shift because it opened up a whole new world of experiences and memories. This change lasted for 4.5 years until we were pushed to change again in 2022-2023. DD17 was looking more closely at colleges and DD15 has shifted to a lot more travel for sports as she gets closer to the college recruitment window. So, we now travel for their respective futures and try to throw in some fun vacation-ish along the way. While I'm sad that I had to put some journeys on hold, I know these changes will be more beneficial for the kids in the long run and totally grateful for these opportunities that come with this shift.

3. 2017 came with another big change. We moved from one side of the city to the other. Moving is just pure insanity and there were headaches at every turn, but in the long run, I'm so grateful that we made the move. There are things that I still miss with the old house (closet space, gas cooktop, etc.), but this was the right move. We went to being part of a real community, better schools for the kids, and trees (among other things). So, we're grateful for this big change.

CHANGES ETA: This is a deeper one. The variety on this thread is :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Changing my physical environment: Decluttering/Minimlaizing ...In order really to get into this and let a lot of things go, I have had to change my perspective a lot, too. It's still a work in progress, but I really want a simpler life, with more quality time. One big change begets another! I'm really enjoying the change that comes from lightening the physical load.

Changing my mind: I'm also working on lightening my mental load. It's so easy just to soldier on with the same old thoughts and beliefs, isn't it?!

Boundaries: Like a lot of you, I'm also changing my boundaries in relationships. Even, just in online interactions. Of course, first, you have to be aware of old patterns of playing a particular role! I'm glad I've always had a questioning approach to life. Even, if the process can be a bit uncomfortable sometimes.

Last edited:

Good Afternoon!!! :wave:

Change and me don't play very nice together - change stresses me out. I always envy people that can change things easily and love doing it. So many times, change involves money, and spending money is another thing that stresses me out.

#1 - Changing car type - it was very hard to let go of my mini van, because I really loved everything about it. Two years ago we traded it in for my Toyota Rav4 and I'm so glad that we did this. I love this car and this change was very good. It's a hybrid, and with these gas prices, it's really really good.

#2 - Changing my hair style - Until 2016, I had bangs my entire life and the thought of growing them out didn't appeal to me. Finally in 2016, I decided to make a change to my hair style and get rid of the bangs. The grow out process wasn't easy, but I'm glad I did this, and have no desire to have bangs again.

#3 - Changing houses - Deciding to move in 2004 was such a hard decision for me. I loved our starter house, but with our second baby, we outgrew the house. We looked at so many houses, and nothing appealed to me at all. Finally, a friend told us that their neighbor wants to move so we contacted them, visited the house, fell in love with it and we've been there ever since.

Ch-ch-ch-ch changes 🎤
What a topic! When you’ve reached your 7th decade there are too many to mention, but I will try to narrow it down.
1. When I was 25, my marriage ended, I got de-staffed from my teaching job, and a year later moved away from the area in which I had been living a very nice middle class life. I am forever grateful to have gone through that because I learned so much about myself and became a much stronger and more independent person. The best changes are the ones that teach you (or re-teach you sometimes) who you really are and to go through the process of reclaiming what has been lost.
2. The moment I became a mom everything changed. (as Stephen King has said in a few of his books, life turns on a dime) Happiest change ever; talk about personal growth!
3. My DH and I thought we would never leave NY, but it was clear that if we wanted to live the kind of life that we wanted, we just couldn’t afford to stay (I wanted to be a stay at home mom), so the move to NoVA was a major change that I am so grateful we made. Our DD grew up with wonderful schools, made lifelong friends, and, for us, living in a modest townhouse allowed me to stay at home with her until I felt the time was right to go back to work. More options, happier life!

Mon, 3/4) - 3 changes you're grateful you made

Great topic:

1. I'm grateful I left my city job for a job in my hometown when my oldest was born. I probably (definitely) would have made more money throughout my career, but I was able to be my kids' room mom, be at all of their games, take them to school each morning, etc. My then boss retired in 2018 when my youngest was in the middle of his junior year and I'm now the boss lol. I often think about all of the things I would have missed and how long my work days would have been if I would have stayed at the other job.

2. I'm grateful that I changed universities during my junior year to move home and get married. DH is 6 years older than me. We met my freshman year of college and I decided to move back home a couple of years later and we got married while I was still in college. I'm sure my mom was dying inside, but she handled it wonderfully. I wanted to do that because I wanted to be married for awhile before having kids, but I didn't want to wait too long for that either. I know it was unconventional, but I'm very glad that I did it. Dh and I were married when I was 21 / he was 27 and had our first kid when I was 26 / he was 32. I feel like we've had the best of both worlds!

3. I'm grateful that I have loosened up a bit on the spending (similar to @leebee). I've always been frugal, grew up that way and have always been throughout our marriage. At this point, DH and I make a very comfortable living - I'm glad I can be generous with our kids and charities that I love. I'm becoming more comfortable spending money on myself, but that's still not my favorite thing to do. DH keeps trying to convince me that we need to get a balcony when we go on our cruises. I tell him that we can do almost 2 cruises in interior cabins for the price of one with a balcony. Maybe one of these days I'll think it's worth it to spring for the balcony on every cruise, but right now, I just don't see the point (even though we could afford it if we really wanted it). I often remind DH that our frugalness is what has brought us to such a comfortable place right now. I do feel blessed that I'm not one who "wants" for much though. Things just don't appeal to me, so it's not hard for me to turn them down if that makes sense.

Hello. I got an email from the Disboards saying, "Here's what you've missed while you've been gone" or something to that effect. And I figured if the board was sending me an email basically asking if I'm still alive, then maybe I should check in here again. LOL! And yeah... no good excuse. Just kept letting it slip by me. But I'm back. At least for today. :)

Today's Topic (Mon, 3/4) - 3 changes you're grateful you made
Hmmm... I feel like my life has been pretty steady recently, so I can't think of any major changes I've made, and most of where I am in life was more like God changing MY plans... so... yeah. I'm just going to see what I come up with here, even if it's not a "change" so much as deciding to try something new. That's a change too, right

1. I'm glad I decided to change my Bible reading time to right before bed. I haven't missed a day since I've made that change. I just couldn't do it in the morning, and then I'd always find "other" things to do instead if I tried in the middle of the day.
2. I'm glad I decided to get involved with my local adaptive sports organization last year.
3. I'm glad I started reading for pleasure again a few years ago.

Changes:
1. I have always done a lot of walking/elliptical exercise, but never did any strength training. We have a home gym system that we bought for our DD a few years ago and I decided to start using it. It’s only been a few months and I am noticing progress—able to lift heavier weights, seeing some muscle. I have committed to 4 days a week and have kept up with it except i missed a day in early February when I was sick.
2. I have curly hair and although I get a lot of compliments on it, I feel like it is frequently a bit of a mess. I am working on developing a good routine and figuring out what works for my hair/curl type—a lot of trial and error.
3. I am very introverted and like a lot of alone time or time with close family and small groups of friends. I am trying to make an effort to be a bit more social and open to larger functions.

Me !!! I’m grateful for me ! I begin with that letter !!!

Ladders - I’m short - I have step ladders in every major area of my house ! I’m getting to old to climb things so I use a ladder now

Lamps - I love lamps - small / large doesn’t matter - always on the look out 👀 for another cute lamp I can place somewhere can’t hurt I’m getting old never enough light to see things 🤣🤣

Grateful for you too dear WDWEPCOT!:hug:I also am blessed with at least two other Disboard friend whose first name starts witj an L.

Most of all, forever, Lord Jesus! My Rock. Savior, and Redeemer. Through and because of Him, I have Love and Light, which He is, Life, of course, too.

Little blessings and everyday moments.

Champ's nickname, his main one, was Lammie.

Learning, Libraries, and Local places such as church options, familar stores, and Disneyland, are blessings, too.

Last edited:
Me !!! I’m grateful for me ! I begin with that letter !!!

Ladders - I’m short - I have step ladders in every major area of my house ! I’m getting to old to climb things so I use a ladder now

Lamps - I love lamps - small / large doesn’t matter - always on the look out 👀 for another cute lamp I can place somewhere can’t hurt I’m getting old never enough light to see things 🤣🤣
I’m grateful for you too :hug:

Happy Tuesday!

#1 - Love - I’m grateful to receive it and give it ❤️

#2 - Luggage - I’m packing it this week. My DH bought all of us a very nice carry on suitcase that is so perfect for our trips. I love not having to check luggage.

#3 - Laced gym shoes - I’m not a fan of slip on gym shoes for me - I like being able to tie and adjust the tightness of my shoes when I put them on.

Came back to add, I am grateful for where I live that sure starts with an L. Home. How blessed I am to have a home and one thatvis safe, faith, and love filled with light, toonand extra blessing of being able each day to share lunchtime with my dad.

Leaning as in on His Everlasting Arms, Libraries, language, especially the universal language of peace and love. Laundry and laundromats, lakes and lifeguards. Even limits as in general and knowing, becoming more at peace with mine. I am human and beyond blessed with life. For my beloved late grandma, I am grateful for a local candy store called Littlejohn's that she sure loved. Also childhood dinners with my grandparents and dad at a restaurant called Lamplighter and more recently meals with dad and many friends at a local restaurant called Lancers.

Extra love to all! :)

(Tues, 3/5) - 3 things you're grateful for beginning with the letter L

1. My last name begins with L - I'm grateful for my family!
2. I'm grateful for loyal friends and family
3. I'm grateful for label makers - I just organized our basement storage shelves by labeling where everything should go lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter