Three Things...Gratitude Thread

Today's Topic (Sun. 10/30) - Trips You've Taken

Not a big traveler but I have more than 3--and nothing exotic or as exciting as I'm sure some of you will list!

1. Bahamas-First 'out of the country' trip)
2. California-first trip to Disneyland
3. Chicago (won tickets to see the Jackson Five)
4. Florida WDW several times
5. South Carolina (we got married on the beach at sunrise in Myrtle Beach)
6. Many many trips to Ocean City MD.

1. Alaska Cruise ~ the beauty of Alaska is something you should experience if you have the means.

2. Tokyo ~ loved the people, culture, and food. Wish we had more time to explore different parts of the country. Definitely returning someday.

3. Russia ~ this was twenty years ago. It was a definite learning experience and I took away a lot.

Happy Sunday everyone! :wave:

Yesterday’s topic…..
Not including me home….

Our parents homes - always grateful for that.

The Walgreens that‘s walking distance from my house - so convenient

The family owned ice cream place - always fun going there as a family in the summer

Today‘s topic…..

Our Nov 2021 WDW trip - first time going with an older/adult child and we had so much fun. The memories we made were some of the best WDW memories, and we’ve taken our girls at all ages from 13months and up. The Magic doesn’t stop when your kids get older.

Our 2005 Honeymoon cruise - our first time traveling together and spending every moment together - we both lived at home until our wedding day - we were old fashion with this.

My 1985 two week Hawaii trip with my Grandma. We went to 3 islands, took so many tours and saw so many places/things. It was a great trip. I was very close with my Grandma.

1) the first time I went to WDW, because it started a wonderful pattern (and eventually led me here) :earsgirl:

2) road trips "home" to western NY - grateful for the memories and for the relative ease of trips there before the snowbirds in the family settled for good in warmer Florida

3) an amazing opportunity to take some summer classes in England when I was in college

1. Charleston SC, this spring to visit son and DIL. It definitely was one of the best trips I have ever taken and I've taken many.
2. PollyannaMom's No 1.....well said! :goodvibes
3. San Antonio, TX to watch youngest DS graduate from the Airforce. The pride I felt still makes me teary eyed. :love:

In no particular order:

Local trips that God-willing one day when the pandemic is over, I will never again take for granted being able to take from Ralph's to the laundromat to church to the library and beyond.

2007 and in 2008 with my dad to Oregon and Washington. We got to see Crater Lake National Park, the Columbia River Gorge, and even had fun playing a round of mini golf at a Bullwinkles. So blessed that we got to do that in general and extra because I am not able to travel much anymore. Plus, am admittedly a homebody at heart so that works just fine.

Trips in years past to visit my grandma when she lived in Houston.

Sweden and England. My MIL treated all of her children and grandchildren to trips all over the world. One year after we were married, she brought my DH and I to Stockholm, Sweden where we spent the night in a suite larger than our apartment then several days sailing on the Gota Canal to Goteburg. After a day and night in Goteburg, we took a train back to Stockholm. Then we flew to England and spent a few days there, mainly in London. It was an unforgettable trip.

WDW and Disneyland trips since 2004. I’m not thrilled with the current situation at Disney. I don’t expect to return until we have grandchildren old enough to enjoy it.

Cape Cod vacations my entire life have the most meaning to me. We will be going twice this summer.

England: The company DH was working for when oldest DD was born sent him to England for a month when she was 6 weeks old. I thought it was ridiculous for him to miss that early time with her so we went along. He was busy and I was alone with her probably 12-14 hours a day, but it was nice. Some days we just spent at the hotel, but I quickly got bored, figured out the bus schedule and some local places I wanted to see and did just that with her in a wearable carrier. Even just a High Street (seemed to be their version of a small town Main St with local shops) in a different area was interesting. One day I toured a castle that only required 1 bus transfer. Towards the end DH had a couple of days off and we went to London for the day and one other day we toured another castle that we drove to that was too far away to do via buses. There were difficult parts of that trip for sure, but it made me realize that I could figure it out.

2. Disney: I’ve had many trips to Disney over the years, but I loved my first trip with DH. I had been often over the years, but he had only been there once when he was young and it wasn’t memorable for him. We had such a great time. I had read one of the guidebooks and really had the trip planned out (early 1990’s), we went during a slow time and could not have had a better experience with crowds, lines, weather.

3. Disney 2012: My girls had a weird break from school in mid-January and had almost a week off so we went to Disney and stayed at the Animal Kingdom for the first time. We had a savana view and after seeing the animals outside our room I never wanted to leave. I flew early in the day with our preschooler and all the luggage to get checked in, get our grocery delivery and get organized. DH flew later with our older 2 who had school that day and they arrived late—my little one was already asleep. Crowds were low and the girls just seemed to be at the perfect age. Loved everything we did, no strollers needed, weather was great for January. If I could re-experience 1 trip exactly the way it was, that one would be it.

No order
WDW too many times to count
Jamaica - twice
Mexico
Grand Cayman ❤️❤️❤️
Bahamas - too many times to count
Canada - again lots from one end to other and the middle ❤️❤️
Alaska
Massachusetts
New York
Maine
Vermont
Connecticut
England
Norway
Ireland
Illinois
Kentucky
Georgia
I’m sure I’m forgetting some - I’ve done most of the east coast just not the west coast - need to head west !! I’ve been in the lovely south also - I live in Midwest
Would like to see more of Europe and Caribbean !!

In no particular order:

Local trips that God-willing one day when the pandemic is over, I will never again take for granted being able to take from Ralph's to the laundromat to church to the library and beyond.

2007 and in 2008 with my dad to Oregon and Washington. We got to see Crater Lake National Park, the Columbia River Gorge, and even had fun playing a round of mini golf at a Bullwinkles. So blessed that we got to do that in general and extra because I am not able to travel much anymore. Plus, am admittedly a homebody at heart so that works just fine.

Trips in years past to visit my grandma when she lived in Houston.
:flower3: Absolutely LOVE this answer and again, the best thing about @PollyannaMom 's thread is reminding me of just how much common grace I take for granted, in all areas.

1. Our very first visit to Disneyland (which was the fulfillment of all my childhood dreams) combined with our first cruise. We'd been married for 8 years and DS was 7 before we had both the time and money to take our first real family vacation. Sweet, sweet memories for all of us. :earsboy::earsgirl::earsboy:
2. Mediterranean cruise that allowed us to see practically every iconic location in Southern Europe. Everywhere our eyes fell was like something out of a storybook and one can simply not begin to absorb the significance of the history without actually being there.
3. A future (hopes-and-dreams) trip that, if it ever does happen, will be my absolute favourite. I desperately want to get our entire family (DH and me, our DS, DH's grown DD's and their own families) together somewhere. There are a TON of circumstances that make it nigh-on impossible, but I'll never stop trying to make it so.

Trips I've Taken (10/30)
1. Grand Canyon and Sedona, AZ, 2002. This was a trip with my aunt and uncle, who might literally have been millionaires, but they didn't/don't act like it. This was supposed to be a family trip with just them, their grown kids and partners, and grandchildren. But their step granddaughter, who is about my age, couldn't go. So they invited me to go instead, as my high school graduation gift. They paid for everything except my souvenirs, even flying me out of St. Louis to Chicago, so I didn't have to fly the whole way alone. My uncle passed this summer, at the age of 91.

2. Disney trip, 2016. My first ever Disney trip. I went with my friend and her mom. And it's what brought me to this forum in the first place!

3. Family trips to Colorado. I'm just going to group these together. I've always said if you forced me to move from Missouri (only place I've ever lived) then you'd better give me a mountain view from my house! I just love the mountains, and wish they were closer!

travel 3:

Bermuda: We got engaged on the balcony of our cruise ship so it will always be special to me.

Excellence Resorts (Mexico and DR): we could not possibly ask for a better vacation

Florida: visiting my inlaws. I swear that mother in law runs her house like a resort. She is so amazing and I really love spending time with my husband's family. I read some posts on here and I feel sorry for people who have awful inlaws. I hit the lottery in this regard.

1. We took a relaxing tour of the Gulf Coast of Florida, meandering from Clearwater Beach through the coastal towns down to Naples. We had a rental minivan (family of 5) and stayed in different towns/cities along the coast, exploring a bit at each location. Such a beautiful area. I imagine it looks different now after the hurricane.

2. Cape Cod. We've been in all 4 seasons and although summer is amazing there is also something special about being down the Cape off-season.

3. Bahamas. We had a great balance of fun-in-the-sun activities and seaside relaxation. It was great fun snorkeling and diving for sea stars.

These are the ones I am most thankful for

1 Normandy D Day beaches

2. Greece and Turkey

3. In 1991 or 92 we went to WDW with my DSis and my parents. Our DSs were 17 and 14. My dad was always quiet, but on this trip, he interacted with our sons in a very personal, wonderful way. He died the following year. We all remembered that trip as being very special.

1. We started our honeymooned in scenic...Reno, Nevada. Dh had won a hotel trip at a golf tournament, and we decided to use it for our honeymoon. We spent 3 days gambling and drinking and doing what newlyweds do. Then we drove to Wendover, and spent 2 nights there; the hotel and food were cheap on the Utah side of the street, and the gambling and drinking more fun on the Nevada side! (and to note: this was when there just after some major wildfires in Northern Nevada. DH was driving to Reno, about 2 weeks prior, for work, and had flames on both sides of the highway!)

2. We went to the Grand Canyon, when DS was about 3, and DD#2 was 13. We also went down the Ren Faire in Arizona, and the Phoenix zoo that trip, as well.

3. Belize! DH and I had our first grown up only trip, since our honeymoon, this past August! We were in the mountains, outside of San Ignacio, for 9 days, and saw some ruins.

From the hotel dining room:

20220828_064118_remastered.jpg

Xunantunich, looking towards Guatamala
20220822_095353.jpg

The view from our cabin porch
20220825_135924.jpg

Cahal Pech
20220826_104054.jpg

The death speed bumps. We were in a jeep, and had to slow down to about 10mph or we'd scrape. These are EVERYWHERE in Belize City, and on the highway we took to and from San Ignacio.

20220828_080034.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter