Thread for allergy foods updates

At Crystal palace today I ate sooooo well. The chef brought me three plates from the kitchen with 10 different safe foods that are on the buffet! The chef who was there this afternoon also bakes his own allergy safe brownies. They were gluten free, egg free, dairy free and nut free. Don't remember if they were soy free or not. But sooooo amazing!

Those are the only brownies my son has ever had, and yes they at least can be soy free.
Erin- that's sad that your Crystal Palace experience was bad, it was a really great meal for my son this trip. (basically top 8, sesame and buckwheat free)

Did you go for lunch or dinner? We went for lunch and are going back for lunch again. I don't remember who our chef was but we are taking a chance. We've had good luck there everytime we have gone over the past 5 years since I was diagnosed.

We went for lunch this year (dinner last year was fine). I think the guy was Alfonso??? I could be wrong. We will certainly go back, I think maybe he was just having a bad day. He made me feel like we were bothering him. It was the first lunch seating, so it wasn't like it was the end and he was tired of going through the whole thing. "There are nuts in a salad on that side of the buffet, don't go over there." :confused3
My son could eat the ice cream, I don't believe they offered him anything else.

Like I said, we have been there before and will certainly go back so it didn't ruin it for us.

Those are the only brownies my son has ever had, and yes they at least can be soy free.
Erin- that's sad that your Crystal Palace experience was bad, it was a really great meal for my son this trip. (basically top 8, sesame and buckwheat free)

Thank you so much for caring. I am glad you liked it! We will go back, 1 bad meal out of 9 is not too bad.
Where else do you like to take your son?

We'll be travelling with a gluten-intolerant individual next trip and I have plenty of time to plan, so is there a particular site that lists all the CS and TS where gluten free is available? or do I just ask at time of ADRs? Our choices will include: Ohana's, Plaza, Terrace Dessert Party, Tony's, the Brown Derby, St. Angel Inn, Rose & Crown, Yak & Yeti, FlameTree BBQ, Whispering
Canyon, and ASMo food court. Thanks for all the help; we've never had to do something like this before and I want her to enjoy the spectacular dining as much as we dopixiedust:

Thanks :) Just saw this so I'll check it out and add what I can :thumbsup2

Disney_Princess83, I'm sorry to hear that your list of allergens is expanding, but happy to hear that WDW can continue to accommodate you as they do so many. That said, it seems everyone has one or two experiences that aren't as "magical" as the others (most seem to be in the EPCOT "countries" which WDW doesn't run directly) and because of that AllergyEats has extended its peer-rated guide to allergy-friendly restaurants by adding a 2nd guide devoted to WDW, its hotels, and the surrounding Orlando area called AllergyEats Disney World.

We'd love to have your experiences added to our large and growing database to help future WDW travelers. Rating a restaurant takes just a minute - you only have to answer 3 multiple choice questions with an optional comment - but again it helps our entire food allergy and intolerance community. I hope you'll consider helping everyone in this way. The site can be found at www.allergyeats.com/disney. Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you so much for caring. I am glad you liked it! We will go back, 1 bad meal out of 9 is not too bad.
Where else do you like to take your son?

His first two trips were only peanut free, and that was an easy one. This last trip we tried to get as many in as we could.
We got to Tony's, Liberty Tree tavern, Crystal Palace, the plaza, Hollywood and Vine, Mama Melrose, Rose and Crown, Biergarten, Kouzzina, Wolfgang Puck's, T-rex, Tusker House and Boma... we also ate a ton of Babycakes, loved POP's food court and weren't too thrilled with CS besides Columbia harbor house.
Kouzzina, wolfgang puck and Tusker house were good enough we repeated them at the end of the trip.
Hollywood and vine was the only nightmare and it was for breakfast.
A good number of those TS locations were walk-ins and they still completely accomodated a child with no wheat, soy, egg, dairy, peanuts, treenuts, shellfish, sesame and buckwheat.
The buckwheat we had to watch for because the large enjoy life cookies that come in little 2-packs use buckwheat flour. Nobody notices that. We just thought it was cute how the chefs were trying so hard because they were so proud of themselves finding those cookies. They were still wrapped so we just moved them to the side and continued on.

I pre-printed little business cards with suggested favorites which helped a lot.

I plan to call in a month or so but for now we are trying to budget and decide if we want the dining plan or not, and figuring where we want to eat. So a couple general questions if anyone knows off hand the answers. DD#1 is allergic to dairy (but can eat limited things it has been baked into per her allergist), chocolate, strawberries, oranges and shellfish.

Has anyone gone to WDW with a chocolate allergy?

The gelato is the mango flavor dairy free?

The uncrustables are they grape or strawberry or some places grape other strawberry?

It looks like most of the dairy free options are like chocolate chip cookies. Will there be non chocolate options? While DD can have one vanilla cupcake or waffle that has dairy in it if she eats too much she will get rashy or hives so I would prefer to not give her things with it baked in and save the one or two items when nothing elwe is available. I don't want her eating fruit only all week. I want her to relax and enjoy.

The toffutti ice cream. Is it only chocolate flavored? Do they have vanilla?

The shellfish is her worst (we don't know her reaction but had a high number when tested but she has never eaten it - we held off bc her father has a shellfish allergy). We do know that she has to eat the items to have problems so we don't worry too much about cross contamination. Can they make her say pepperoni pizzas without cheese or are all the pizzas at say pinocchios haus premade? She enjoys pizza with just crust, sauce, and toppings no cheese.

lillykat said:
I plan to call in a month or so but for now we are trying to budget and decide if we want the dining plan or not, and figuring where we want to eat. So a couple general questions if anyone knows off hand the answers. DD#1 is allergic to dairy (but can eat limited things it has been baked into per her allergist), chocolate, strawberries, oranges and shellfish.

Gelato is not dairy free but some of the TS restaurants have dairy free sorbets. It's a toss up as to the flavors since they're all seasonal.

The uncrustables are they grape or strawberry or some places grape other strawberry?

The only uncrustables I've seen are grape. They do have dairy in them, not sure if that's an issue or not since your DD can have a little bake in dairy.

It looks like most of the dairy free options are like chocolate chip cookies. Will there be non chocolate options? While DD can have one vanilla cupcake or waffle that has dairy in it if she eats too much she will get rashy or hives so I would prefer to not give her things with it baked in and save the one or two items when nothing elwe is available. I don't want her eating fruit only all week. I want her to relax and enjoy.

I spent a good portion of my last trip hoping for Enjoy Life chocolate chip cookies and was never offered them as an option at any TS I went to. Honey Crisp and Sugar cookies were everywhere.

You may want to stop at Babycakes at DTD for some dairy free cupcakes and doughnuts. They've lots of options that don't include chocolate.

Again, I found vanilla to be a more common option the vanilla. By the end of my trip, I was craving chocolate. Some places have Rice Dream ice cream but vanilla is avavilable too. I should point out that my only desert option at CRT was fruit, not sure if that's normal but something to be aware of.

The shellfish is her worst (we don't know her reaction but had a high number when tested but she has never eaten it - we held off bc her father has a shellfish allergy). We do know that she has to eat the items to have problems so we don't worry too much about cross contamination. Can they make her say pepperoni pizzas without cheese or are all the pizzas at say pinocchios haus premade? She enjoys pizza with just crust, sauce, and toppings no cheese.

I'm not much help with pizza as I'm allergic to the allergy options too. Pizza planet and a few of the resort food courts have Amy's brand pizza. Disney should have lots of options for your DD. Enjoy your trip.

DD#1 is allergic to dairy (but can eat limited things it has been baked into per her allergist), chocolate, strawberries, oranges and shellfish.

I don't think you are going to have any problems, AT ALL. DS has vanilla ice cream at least once a day on our trip in august and he is dairy and soy free, so they will have something most places. The only thing I would do is make sure you plan where you go for quick service in the parks - stick to the recommended allergy locations and you will be all set. (columbia harbor house, backlot express, sunshine seasons and I forget where in AK) Just say she is allergic to all dairy to spare confusion and they will take care of her completely dairy free. When you start saying she is allergic but can have some, you are going to run into that funny middle ground of what you think of as too much vs. what others think is too much and it's not worth the risk. (for your DD or other allergy guests that follow you)

I think all gelato is dairy based, so not sure why any flavors would be dairy free.

I don't think you are going to have any problems, AT ALL. DS has vanilla ice cream at least once a day on our trip in august and he is dairy and soy free, so they will have something most places. The only thing I would do is make sure you plan where you go for quick service in the parks - stick to the recommended allergy locations and you will be all set. (columbia harbor house, backlot express, sunshine seasons and I forget where in AK) Just say she is allergic to all dairy to spare confusion and they will take care of her completely dairy free. When you start saying she is allergic but can have some, you are going to run into that funny middle ground of what you think of as too much vs. what others think is too much and it's not worth the risk. (for your DD or other allergy guests that follow you)

I think all gelato is dairy based, so not sure why any flavors would be dairy free.

Well generally yes gelato does have dairy but like on our cruise their lemon "gelato" actually sorbet and not gelato. The reason I asked is I thought someone on here posted the mango "gelato" was actually sorbet and not gelato. Which is why I was hoping someone could confirm.

Erin- It must have been a completely different chef that you had because when we went both thimes there were no nut son teh main buffet at all. But the chef brought me eveyrthing straight from the kitchen so it wouldnt have mattered anyway.

So we are headed home later today but I just wanted to give a quick update.

We basically had a perfect record for meals this time. Everything I ate was free of:
peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, wheat, oats, coconut (including coconut oil), sesame, broccoli, all raw vegetables and all raw fruit (except for grapes). Everything was also soy free except for soybean oil and soy lechitin (mild soy allergy but these two things dont bother me.)

POP Century: They have both Bobs Red Mill and Namaste mix. in general, they do a combination of the two mixes but will do just Namaste if you cant have BRM because of tree nut allergies. They also have the allergy chicken tenders and a dedicated fryer. For allergy safe snacks, they have rocky mountain popcorn (gluten free, nut free, egg free....some contain dairy and some contain soy lechitin), surf sweet fruity bears (gluten free, nut free, vegan), and I think its OMG brownies and cookies (gluten free but NOT egg free)

Crystal Palace: We had the same chef both days for lunch (I think his name was Mike?) and he was wonderful. He walked the buffet and brought me whatever I wanted straight from the kitchen. I had steak, salmon, ratatoullie, sweet potatoes, beet salad and grapes. In addition, he makes a gluten free and egg free brownie that is AMAZING (not sure if it is dairy free or not). So that with some soft serve ice cream was an amazing treat

Plaza: so we went here twice. I got the same thing both times. There were different chefs and the second time it was much better food in general. They will serve any sandwich without the bread. However, they do have GNI bread which is gluten free, corn free, egg free, dairy free and soy free. I did not try it. They also have enjoy life cookies, OMG brownies, toffuti, and rice dream. Overall, I was satsfied with both meals

50s PT: The chef here was great as well. I was actually able to eat something right off the menu (the salmon) but he made me asparagus as well. He would have gladly had made me something else if I had not wanted salmon. I dont know the dessert options as I was too full from dinner!

Sci Fi: again, awesome chef. Since the artichoke and spinach dip was not safe, he made nachos instead with cheese, sauteed onions and roasted tomatoes. AMAZING!. For my meal, I just had a burger with fries with no bun. I was craving a burger. It was very good. Again...I dont know dessert options as I did not have any.

1900 Park Fare: Okay....soo...kind of disappointed with this one. Mainly because Chef TJ was NOT there when we went! But the food was still good and I was able to have dessert. And the characters were great. The chef made me whatever I wanted (steak, salmon, potatoes, corn, cooked carrots, grapes). And for dessert I got enjoy life crunchy cookies and osft chewy cookies with soft serve ice cream with sprinkles. So all in all, I was satisfied. They also have the GNI dinner rolls but agian...I didnt try them.

Unfortunately I could not eat Babycakes this trip because they use Bobs Red Mill and coconut so completely off limits to me :(

So all in all, it was a very successful trip food wise. I just wish there were more snacks to choose from for people like me but thats life and its not a big deal in the realm of things.

Overall, things like this is why we come to Disney. The service at every restaurant was above adn beyond our expectations and I ate my self sick this trip! It was wonderful!!

I am going to be adding pictures to the allergy picture thread but if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Well generally yes gelato does have dairy but like on our cruise their lemon "gelato" actually sorbet and not gelato. The reason I asked is I thought someone on here posted the mango "gelato" was actually sorbet and not gelato. Which is why I was hoping someone could confirm.
I've come to rely a lot of googling the name of a food, which always tells me that gelato is essentially the italian word for ice cream. It's helpful to know that the internet is wrong again (that seems to happen a lot!), now I will actually check out gelato places to see if DS can have anything. Thank you.

So we are headed home later today but I just wanted to give a quick update.

We basically had a perfect record for meals this time. Everything I ate was free of:
peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, wheat, oats, coconut (including coconut oil), sesame, broccoli, all raw vegetables and all raw fruit (except for grapes). Everything was also soy free except for soybean oil and soy lechitin (mild soy allergy but these two things dont bother me.)

I'm glad things turned out so well. That is sad about babycakes and the coconut/Bob's for you.

I've come to rely a lot of googling the name of a food, which always tells me that gelato is essentially the italian word for ice cream. It's helpful to know that the internet is wrong again (that seems to happen a lot!), now I will actually check out gelato places to see if DS can have anything. Thank you.

I'm glad things turned out so well. That is sad about babycakes and the coconut/Bob's for you.

You know you just never know. The cruise we were on something said sorbet but were sherbert too. I have learned to ask what is dairy free. We thought DD#1 was lactose intolerant so imagine their surprise when she tested positive for milk allergy. I asked over and over to test her but ped and allergist said not an allergy. She was get loose stool, say it made her cough and her tummy hurt. Now if she eats a lot of baked stuff a rashy cheek or around her mouth. But luckily not severe. It is the orange, strawberry, chocolate and shellfish that are more of a pain. Since orange is sometimes hidden in bbq etc. I was allergic to mustard which is a pain bc it is so many dishes. Used to live in Nashville and they always put it on my burger even when asked to leave it off. At least with the major allergies they list them as warnings. So many things say natural fkavorings. We only found DD#1's allergies when she was 3.5 and woke cover head to foot (even on her eyelids) hives after a playdate the day before where she had chocolate donut, tropical orang juice box, clemintine, chocolate milk. Much harder on a child who went from eating almost everything to none of the fun stuff. But makes sense she never liked pizza, ice cream, or yogurt. Probably bc it made her feel sick.

For the same reason why they claim to be "allergy friendly" yet make their gluten free flours on the same line as their nut flours. They don't seem to quite "get it" yet IMO. The worst part is, they have basically like taken over many of the GF sections in many stores near me and all of their stuff is off limits.

It makes things very very difficult and not going to lie....just occasionally pisses me off.

I totally get it. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you. {{{HUGS}}}

At the plaza my meal was good too. They carry GNI buns (gluten free, egg free, dairy free, soy free, corn free), and enjoy life cookies. I got a cheesesteak (no bun....didn't want to try the GNI bun....have never had it before) with grapes. I was told the fries are not made separately and are fried in the same fryer as the chicken nuggets (huge concern of egg cross contamination for me)

Are you sure the GNI buns are egg free? I googled them and it looks like all their stuff has eggs.

At Crystal palace today I ate sooooo well. The chef brought me three plates from the kitchen with 10 different safe foods that are on the buffet! The chef who was there this afternoon also bakes his own allergy safe brownies. They were gluten free, egg free, dairy free and nut free. Don't remember if they were soy free or not. But sooooo amazing!

We just spent 9 days in Disney and were happy with everywhere except Crystal Palace. They had been good in the past, but not this time.

Especially happy with Sci Fi!

Crystal Palace is somewhere the at it seems people either have an amazing experience or else a really bad one which can even be a scary one. Most have that great experience but it looks like there's one chef who just doesn't care which is unbelievably dangerous. I've had a bad experience which makes me hesitant to try it again but with all of the great reviews I keep reading including those allergy brownies I can't help but want to give it another try.

Can they make her say pepperoni pizzas without cheese or are all the pizzas at say pinocchios haus premade? She enjoys pizza with just crust, sauce, and toppings no cheese.

A few restaurants carried vanilla cupcakes but I do think that most things were were offered had chocolate, other than ice cream and fruit. But, we're also off of a heck of a lot more things than you are so hopefully you'll have additional options. If nothing else, there's the Tofutti ice cream that chefs will doctor up. Chefs will usually add sprinkles and cherries and at the Polynesian they'll even add cotton candy at Kona and sometimes 'Ohana. At the Plaza they have some other sauces as well.

We could get vanilla Tofutti at every TS restaurant where we asked. Several TS places also carry sorbets.

We only asked about allergy pizzas at our resort CS location. These were made at the time of the order using premade gluten free crusts and topped with soy cheese. It would be very easy to make without the cheese. Oh yeah, she got this at Mama Melrose as well. I don't know about the CS locations in the parks but I do recall a dining report where somebody got a dairy free and I think soy free pizza that was just served cheeseless at Pizza Planet.

I showed a frozen mango dessert in my most recent dining report, but it was most definitely a sorbet and not a gelato. The only gelatos we encountered (AoA food court and Italian pavillion in Epcot) were dairy based and therefore off limits to us.

Like somebody else said, the sorbets can change even from day to day. The chefs decide in the morning which fruit they will use for that day's sorbet in the restaurants that carry sorbets.

You know you just never know. The cruise we were on something said sorbet but were sherbert too. I have learned to ask what is dairy free. We thought DD#1 was lactose intolerant so imagine their surprise when she tested positive for milk allergy. I asked over and over to test her but ped and allergist said not an allergy. She was get loose stool, say it made her cough and her tummy hurt. Now if she eats a lot of baked stuff a rashy cheek or around her mouth. But luckily not severe. ...We only found DD#1's allergies when she was 3.5 and woke cover head to foot (even on her eyelids) hives after a playdate the day before where she had chocolate donut, tropical orang juice box, clemintine, chocolate milk. Much harder on a child who went from eating almost everything to none of the fun stuff. But makes sense she never liked pizza, ice cream, or yogurt. Probably bc it made her feel sick.

My son started out eating everything too. Around 1 1/2 it was really bothering me that he seemed to always have the runs and kept having eczema, so after repeatedly asking the doctor (mine also was certain it was not an allergy) he ran an allergy blood test. All of his numbers are less than 2, a few of them are almost negative but we removed all of the foods from his diet and he cleared up within a couple days. Just to add frustration, one of the nurses told me all the results were negative the first time I asked because she thought they were low enough to ignore... I had to ask again to find out he had low level allergy scores.
I'm glad I insisted something was wrong because a couple months later was the time he tried to eat baked in eggs and I thought he was going to die.
He had a lot of foods he just didn't want too, it's nice now that we've taken so many things out he isn't a picky eater anymore.

I totally get it. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you. {{{HUGS}}}

Are you sure the GNI buns are egg free? I googled them and it looks like all their stuff has eggs.

Crystal Palace is somewhere the at it seems people either have an amazing experience or else a really bad one which can even be a scary one. Most have that great experience but it looks like there's one chef who just doesn't care which is unbelievably dangerous. I've had a bad experience which makes me hesitant to try it again but with all of the great reviews I keep reading including those allergy brownies I can't help but want to give it another try.

A few restaurants carried vanilla cupcakes but I do think that most things were were offered had chocolate, other than ice cream and fruit. But, we're also off of a heck of a lot more things than you are so hopefully you'll have additional options. If nothing else, there's the Tofutti ice cream that chefs will doctor up. Chefs will usually add sprinkles and cherries and at the Polynesian they'll even add cotton candy at Kona and sometimes 'Ohana. At the Plaza they have some other sauces as well.

We could get vanilla Tofutti at every TS restaurant where we asked. Several TS places also carry sorbets.

We only asked about allergy pizzas at our resort CS location. These were made at the time of the order using premade gluten free crusts and topped with soy cheese. It would be very easy to make without the cheese. Oh yeah, she got this at Mama Melrose as well. I don't know about the CS locations in the parks but I do recall a dining report where somebody got a dairy free and I think soy free pizza that was just served cheeseless at Pizza Planet.

I showed a frozen mango dessert in my most recent dining report, but it was most definitely a sorbet and not a gelato. The only gelatos we encountered (AoA food court and Italian pavillion in Epcot) were dairy based and therefore off limits to us.

Like somebody else said, the sorbets can change even from day to day. The chefs decide in the morning which fruit they will use for that day's sorbet in the restaurants that carry sorbets.

I was kind of wondering the same things about the GNI buns. The ingredient list they have says egg free but everything that is listed on their website has egg whites in it. But the dinner rolls weren't listed at all. So I really don't know. I asked a couple of times and they insisted but I just decided to decline...I wasn't comfortable trying it because for me, eating egg even baked in something will cause anaphylaxis.

DD14 won't be trying the GNI buns either most likely as I assume they have yeast, but it does seem strange. Maybe because the dinner rolls are smaller they don't need as much of a binder which is what the eggs do? For DD14 eggs cooked into foods "only" cause GI discomfort/distress so it's not like it's life threatening for her to eat them but it does seem strange that this would be their only product without eggs so I'd be leery while on vacation even if they didn't have another ingredient that she can't eat (yeast is a much worst reaction and I suspect is the cause of her head to toe hives during our last trip meaning somebody using maybe some kind of yeast in something she ate; either that or star anise which she had never tried until not long before the hives showed up; I'll likely be very cautious about star anise until I decide to do a challenge with it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter