• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thousand flock to Florida Beaches

But we DO get our weird on occasionally.

This. If you've ever noticed when skimming the news, the 3 states most likely to have posts that make you go *** are Florida, Ohio and Texas. I've lived/live in 2 of the 3. I get a giggle out of it every time. Kind of a SMH, that's MY state again. Sigh. Amusing at least. :)

There is the problem. There are always going to be people who don't follow the rules. Who think the rules don't apply to them. Who think they're invincible. Or are jut plain stupid. They ruin it for everyone else...and in this case, may cost people their health or their lives.

I can't even do a run to the grocery store without people crowding my space, and then giving me an attitude when I ask them to back up. Heck, some people are just trying to be polite and screwing up...guy at the post office was being a gentleman and held the door open for me. But that means I have to now walk past him about a foot away to get by. I kept trying to tell him "thank you but you go on ahead of me" but he wouldn't budge all with a lovely southern gentleman smile.

People are the problem. They don't follow the rules.

to the bolded—it’s instinct, we don’t realize it. It’s like breathing. I may be a woman, but I was brought up with my dad and pawpaw teaching me you hold open the doors for those near enough, you stand and shake hands, and you give up a spot to sit to someone that seems in need, no matter gender ID, age, ability, or skin color. Conversely, I’m not a hugger, so that’s a good thing. But I forget how I’m supposed to act (as do my fellow southern gentle-people) and when I do remember to not do something, i feel ashamed as if I’m being rude or breaking rules. I’m not behaving like I was raised, does that mean I’m disappointing those that raised me.

As much as I want to feel my toes in the sand DH and I did not drive to the beach in Jacksonville. We have been hiking in the forests in Northern Florida instead. Lots of nature to see without the crowds.

This. If you've ever noticed when skimming the news, the 3 states most likely to have posts that make you go *** are Florida, Ohio and Texas. I've lived/live in 2 of the 3. I get a giggle out of it every time. Kind of a SMH, that's MY state again. Sigh. Amusing at least. :)
OHIO...really? We get tons of visitors here from Ohio and they are the nicest people! Maybe it's their constant vacationing in Florida.

Thank Goodness those beach goers have volunteered( unknowingly?) to be out there socializing too closely. If all goes well, there's hope for all. Just curious though, IF asked to volunteer, would they have stepped up for all mankind and still gone. I say beach goers KEEP GOING if that's what you want to do. THE REST OF US WILL SIT AND WAIT to see the outcome. Again, THANK YOU!!! I'll be Safer at Home.

Okay, so how about the fact that Florida has one of the highest numbers of cases in the country?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
Well, let's compare a few facts on Florida...and your state of New Jersey, using the data from Post #209 on Page 11 of this thread.

Population: Florida - 21.4 million.....New Jersey - 8.9 million (41.6% of FL population)

Covid-19 Deaths: Florida - 748.....New Jersey - 4,070, second only to NY (5.4 times Florida's death total)

Deaths per million population: Florida - 34.8 per million.....New Jersey - 458.2 per million (13.1 times Florida's rate)

Cases: Florida - 25,492.....New Jersey - 81,420 (3.2 times Florida's total, with way less than half the population)

Cases per million population: Florida - 1,186.9.....New Jersey - 9,166.7 (7.7 times Florida's infection rate)

And you are worried about our folks on the beach?

Last edited:
@jlwhitney ; @Jrb1979
I think some of the original pics were old but the videos were not.
As I said earlier, hopefully the thrill of walking on the beach will end given the restrictions placed and Floridians will find new places to get fresh air from.

So if all those people and go walk in the park or on a walking trail for their fresh air and magically they won’t be exposed? You just get it from the beach?

Most of NJs covid issues are Noth jersey due to a big number of the people who work in NYC and live in NJ.

I’m in south jersey and our hospitals are slow, to the point that we have layoffs and cut hours.

just pointing this out. I’m on the side of Florida beaches opening. I see no issues with it.

Most of NJs covid issues are Noth jersey due to a big number of the people who work in NYC and live in NJ.

I’m in south jersey and our hospitals are slow, to the point that we have layoffs and cut hours.

just pointing this out. I’m on the side of Florida beaches opening. I see no issues with it.
Of course. And most of Florida's cases are down here in South Florida -- 300+ miles from the deadly beaches and hungry sharks in Jacksonville.

Think...NYC to Richmond, VA -- that's about the distance we are talking about.

Of course. And most of Florida's cases are down here in South Florida -- 300+ miles from the deadly beaches and hungry sharks in Jacksonville.

Think...NYC to Richmond, VA -- that's about the distance we are talking about.

I don’t think people are understanding this. For most states, high numbers are concentrated to one area. It’s not one size fits all for the USA and even individual states.

I don’t think people are understanding this. For most states, high numbers are concentrated to one area. It’s not one size fits all for the USA and even individual states.
Exactly...pick any large state, either large in population or geography. Chicago is a great city, but most of Illinois is rural. Miami is a great city, but much of Florida is rural.

What symbolizes California? The Golden Gate Bridge...LA Freeways...Yosemite National Park...LAX...Death Valley...Beverly Hills...Modesto?

Almost any time any of us says, "State X should do this..." we are totally wrong. I may be that simple, but the governing of my state is somewhat more complex.

So if all those people and go walk in the park or on a walking trail for their fresh air and magically they won’t be exposed? You just get it from the beach?
That was post #252.

Oh don't be silly,:D. I'm of course assuming that social distancing is being observed.
Earlier in post # 189, I posted the following (I know, long thread) :

I'm not touching the whole side issue of whether the Feds or States' control this. Too confusing what with people jumping back and forth depending on how it effects them intimately.

All I can clearly state is I hope no more people die over this decision and that hopefully the thrill will be over to hit the beach sooner rather than later by spreading out and visiting the parks that were open as well.

While we send mixed messages to ourselves the rest of the world is watching and shaking their head in wonderment and dismay. Might not bode well for certain segments of Florida's economy.

As for those who keep throwing their elders under the bus...it speaks volumes about what you should expect in the years to come.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter