Thousand flock to Florida Beaches

Most of NJs covid issues are Noth jersey due to a big number of the people who work in NYC and live in NJ.

I’m in south jersey and our hospitals are slow, to the point that we have layoffs and cut hours.

just pointing this out. I’m on the side of Florida beaches opening. I see no issues with it.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/new-jersey-coronavirus-cases.html
The map of NJ I'm looking at seems to show that at least 3/4 of the state has been affected. Still, if you are in the bottom of the state and closer to Philly, I think I can see what your area's problem is. No teaching or research hospitals that I can discern, and pretty small in keeping with the year-round population. How many ICU beds does your region have that aren't being used? If a small amt of ICU beds used and infection in the county low, it could make sense to move elective surgery cases to your neck of the woods assuming testing kits are available that wont allow Covid 19 to spread further which would open a whole 'nother can of worms.

Please don't pretend to know about Constitutional Law. There are permissible limitations to the right to assemble (Frisby v Schultz), though I am not going to pretend that I know how future rulings would go in this particular instance. See how this works? Separation of fact vs argument.

Hi Shelemm:

Not sure how to interpret that reply?

I will take it that you are saying that Constitutional Law is fluid and that future rulings of the Court may or may not allow for such actions depending on the facts of the case. Given that Frisby v. Shultz, (whether an ordinance banning the right to picket the residential home of an abortion provider) was issued in favor of the government ordinance, it was decided on very narrow grounds and there were ample alternatives for the protesters, which may or may not be the case here.

Ok - I will agree with that.

However, if you implying something else by your word "pretending" let me know and I will respond accordingly.

Tim/Hawk

You’re the one who literally asked a question and then practically bragged about not reading the article posted as answer to that question. Seems like ultimate deflection.

The pp gave me an answer, which I addressed. I had somewhere to be and wasn't about to go down the rabbit hole of discussing our collective responses and the article itself.
She chose to focus on that instead of what I said. Again, that's OK, it was a nice day and there were other more important things to do than go back and forth here.

FTR, sometimes I don't read every single article linked in a post.
I'll let a poster know that because they may wonder why I don't discuss what was in the link. I consider it more of a courtesy, not so much as something to brag about. I guess it's something you see as "brag worthy" and I've got to say I think that's kind of odd 🤷‍♀️

I shared it yesterday and people preferred to view the one that made it look worst....sigh

Don’t you love it when some will skip over a post that shows them the actual facts just so they can keep panicking or predicting the worst?

And before anyone says it—yes the virus is real. Yes it is dangerous to at least some. Yes we need to take precautions. But some of the media just seems to be out to cause panic.

All anyone going to a beach right now is saying is that they don't care if they get sick, they don't care if others they come in contact with get sick, and they don't care about ending this sooner than later so things can get moving again. Every situation like this is a step back.

Maybe the media is causing panic because people are still not getting it? People shouldn't be leaving their houses unless they NEED to. Going to a beach is not a need.

But some of the media just seems to be out to cause panic.
They're not out to cause panic. They are out to cause CLICKS.

Clicks are money, and the media (of all persuasions) cares only about two things: money, and conforming to their owner's political bias.

Facts, confirmation of the junk they publish, perspective, and integrity went out the window long, long ago.

All anyone going to a beach right now is saying is that they don't care if they get sick, they don't care if others they come in contact with get sick, and they don't care about ending this sooner than later so things can get moving again. Every situation like this is a step back.

Maybe the media is causing panic because people are still not getting it? People shouldn't be leaving their houses unless they NEED to. Going to a beach is not a need.

So are you okay with people taking walks in their neighborhood?

I live 10 miles from the beach in Mississippi. It would be easy for us to social distance and take walks on the beach if we wanted to now and there would be little difference in the distance between me and the people I see in their yards as I walk and the people on the beach.

We have a beautiful Park that sits on the edge of our city on the beach. Our family walked that Park in mid-March. Without seeing any other people that were too close to us.

Our beach reopens at 8 am tomorrow for walks at an appropriate social distance. I would take that walk again.

Much safer to me than the allowed shopping for groceries I did yesterday. Although, considering the circumstances, people were social distancing and few people were allowed in the store at once. Carts were wiped off and I wore a mask, as I would anywhere now.

Getting fresh air and exercise is definitely a need.

Well, let's compare a few facts on Florida...and your state of New Jersey, using the data from Post #209 on Page 11 of this thread.

Population: Florida - 21.4 million.....New Jersey - 8.9 million (41.6% of FL population)

Covid-19 Deaths: Florida - 748.....New Jersey - 4,070, second only to NY (5.4 times Florida's death total)

Deaths per million population: Florida - 34.8 per million.....New Jersey - 458.2 per million (13.1 times Florida's rate)

Cases: Florida - 25,492.....New Jersey - 81,420 (3.2 times Florida's total, with way less than half the population)

Cases per million population: Florida - 1,186.9.....New Jersey - 9,166.7 (7.7 times Florida's infection rate)

And you are worried about our folks on the beach?

So people from out of state can't have opinions on other states? Wrong. And I never said anything about NJ, and I'm certainly not advocating opening our beaches, so there is zero relevance is there.

I didn't even chime in on opening Florida beaches. I actually think that, if people truly maintain social distancing, it's fine. But you keep claiming how amazing FL is doing, and the fact is, it isn't. It's not the best, not the worst, and that's what I'm responding to. Again, other state's numbers have no relevance.

So are you okay with people taking walks in their neighborhood?

I live 10 miles from the beach in Mississippi. It would be easy for us to social distance and take walks on the beach if we wanted to now and there would be little difference in the distance between me and the people I see in their yards as I walk and the people on the beach.

We have a beautiful Park that sits on the edge of our city on the beach. Our family walked that Park in mid-March. Without seeing any other people that were too close to us.

Our beach reopens at 8 am tomorrow for walks at an appropriate social distance. I would take that walk again.

Much safer to me than the allowed shopping for groceries I did yesterday. Although, considering the circumstances, people were social distancing and few people were allowed in the store at once. Carts were wiped off and I wore a mask, as I would anywhere now.

Yes. Because you can walk around a neighborhood and not be near other people. These beaches are full of people.

If you can go somewhere that you know no one else is going to be, go for it. What is being discussed is not an example of that.

Getting fresh air and exercise is definitely a need.

I agree. I live in a city. I leave my house once every few days to walk around the same few blocks. I'd love to go to a park or a beach, but so do a lot of other people, so it's too crowded for me to feel comfortable. I would LOVE to go to an empty beach or park, but that is not a reality, and while that's not a reality, I acknowledge that it's best I limit my time outside and make sure to stay as far from others as possible.

So people from out of state can't have opinions on other states? Wrong. And I never said anything about NJ, and I'm certainly not advocating opening our beaches, so there is zero relevance is there.

I didn't even chime in on opening Florida beaches. I actually think that, if people truly maintain social distancing, it's fine. But you keep claiming how amazing FL is doing, and the fact is, it isn't. It's not the best, not the worst, and that's what I'm responding to. Again, other state's numbers have no relevance.

Actually Florida is doing very well, much better then most of the country expected us to do.

Yes. Because you can walk around a neighborhood and not be near other people. These beaches are full of people.

If you can go somewhere that you know no one else is going to be, go for it. What is being discussed is not an example of that.
So how close is too close? I think people are staying far enough away. If you think the pictures (even those that might not be accurate) are "full" of people, I'd hate to know what you think Magic Kingdom is like over Christmas week.

So how close is too close? I think people are staying far enough away. If you think the pictures (even those that might not be accurate) are "full" of people, I'd hate to know what you think Magic Kingdom is like over Christmas week.

Don't go into crowds unless you need to seems like a good rule to live by. If you get to a beach and you see lots of people, don't get out of the car. If you can hear the people next to you having a conversation, you're too close. There's no way to guarantee anyone stays far enough away, especially in a place where everyone is walking.

Also, Magic Kingdom is not relevant to this conversation at all.

People shouldn't be leaving their houses unless they NEED to. Going to a beach is not a need.
If that were the cases then there's no need for you to even walk around the neighborhood period; regardless of whether you could realistically be away from people or no t Just walk around inside your place of residence however many times it takes for you to feel like you've gotten some sort of exercise; go walk in circles, create a path that denotes X amount of miles (like businesses do at times). Of course I don't think many people actually have that viewpoint.

I kinda think at least part of the issue is people conjure up this idea that going to the beach is this luxury thing which it can be but it's not an absolute thing, I personally have the viewpoint it really depends on where you live. As I mentioned before about the woman living on the beach and how it is comparable to the grass in my backyard.

If the point is it's great if you can get out and get exercise, fresh air, walk around for some the beach realistically is doing that because of where they are located at, it is their neighborhood and they are now, in limited fashion, able to walk around in it. Is that the case for everyone who opts to go to the beach? No, but it is for at least some.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter