Thoughts on new TSM line system

Good Morning Dewdrop

Have Courage & Be Kind
I didn't know (until we arrived yesterday) that TSM was implementing a new line system (not sure if I missed it or if I've been under a rock) - in any case what does everyone think about it? I'm on the fence.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about - at the merge point (standby and FP) they used to send almost everyone up the left hand stairs and single riders and double riders (ie groups of only 2 people) up the right hand side of the stairs.

Now at that point they are sending "even" numbered parties up the left hand side and "odd" ones up the right hand side. The CM I spoke to said that it was more efficient and it was making wait times shorter but it is more difficult for the CM who is assigning the vehicle number position. Main difference is they are using the system to pair up single riders.

Problem is for the most part they are not explaining it to people. We are a family of 3 so normally we ride 2 and 1. We take turns being the single rider as we all like to ride alone at times (I usually do better alone) So we arrived yesterday (Labor Day) and have ridden TSM 4 times under the new system - First ride we were there at RD and rode quickly - our single rider was not paired with anyone so at this point we didn't really 'get' the new system. Next time around I saw/ heard the CM specifically tell one 'odd' party to split and put the single rider in line 2. Then he took the next odd group and specifically said to put the single rider in line 2 - then another female CM walked over and told the 2 people that they would be riding together - note this is the only time I've seen a CM explain that to someone. Then he assigned our lines to our group and told us to put the single rider in line 3 - DD was going to ride alone but we switched it as I had (by then) figured out what was going on. Nobody said anything to DH so he explained the system to the other guy that was also assigned to his line and they rode together. I talked to a CM (supervisor in khaki and white) and mentioned that the single rider situation should be explained to the single riders to avoid confusion - I was clear that we weren't upset but that the system would be better if single riders were told they were going to be paired with someone else. Today we rode twice (once with FP and once we lucked into a 20 minute (posted) wait - which was really pretty close to right) - once I told the CM that DD wanted to ride alone and that I would prefer her not to ride with a stranger - he did let her ride alone but I got the impression he was annoyed. Second ride DH was our single rider and he was put in a line with another single guy - again DH explained the system to him (I knew they were supposed to pair up as the man's family was in lane 1, DH and the man were in lane 2 and DD and I were in lane 3 - all lined up to ride in the same group)

Has anyone else tried out the new system - and did you like it?

Other quick note - Daisy is now out at AK in a safari outfit - it's not the one we saw her in at Tusker House a few years ago - this one is a darker brown but it is cute!

No,I haven't been on in awhile but I say good for them.nothing is more aggravating than being in a long line and see empty seats. This is great.I don't mind riding with a stranger.That's what single riders do.
agreed - I am all about a more efficient system ! I mainly wish they would explain it (although I do really like riding alone and being able to get all of the 'best' points!

This is the same system they are using on 7DMT and it does seem to move both lines a little more quickly. I'm 50/50 on the single-rider in a car question. I think rides like TSMM and 7DMT should be strict with this policy and generally not allow empty seats ... but that said, it drives me crazy when they try and shove 4 or 5 adults on to the bench seat at Pirates or Small world! LOL!

ETA ... I saw them politely, but firmly, not allow someone to ride alone on 7DMT who wanted to and I was a little shocked. On TSMM, I saw the same thing happen, but the CM relented and allowed them to ride alone. I think it just depends on the CM.

Hmm, interesting. I ride solo a lot and like OP, I do better alone LOL! But I never mind riding with a stranger...it gets me AND them on the rides faster, so who cares? Some odd-numbered parties seem to be annoyed at being put with me, but I've never let it bother me.

That explains a little. My party of 3 rode on Sunday, we were sent up the right side. Some morons decided to jump the rail behind us at the top of the stairs, but were a party of 2. The dude loading asked us and the two parties behind us how many, several times--he seemed confused. Another party of 4 was behind him, I bet they jumped over too. DW wound up riding by herself.

This is the same system they are using on 7DMT and it does seem to move both lines a little more quickly. I'm 50/50 on the single-rider in a car question. I think rides like TSMM and 7DMT should be strict with this policy and generally not allow empty seats ... but that said, it drives me crazy when they try and shove 4 or 5 adults on to the bench seat at Pirates or Small world! LOL!

ETA ... I saw them politely, but firmly, not allow someone to ride alone on 7DMT who wanted to and I was a little shocked. On TSMM, I saw the same thing happen, but the CM relented and allowed them to ride alone. I think it just depends on the CM.

I'm glad you mentioned the 7D situation -when we were here in May we rode it twice and were split into 2 cars - DH was paired with someone once but not the other time. I will let him know to expect to be paired with someone (didn't know that was the system)

Maybe it depends on the ride, but I was told at Primeval Whirl that Disney didn't put unrelated people in the same 2 person row. I've had it happen, though on Barnstormer, and I ended up being squished next to a guy who's wife was in front of me! I assumed that time was just a rogue CM. But my experience as a single rider is that I often rode alone.

This new line management seems to be endorsed and not a rogue CM so I'm a bit confused. I guess it depends on the ride??

Last edited:
Maybe it depends on the ride, but I was told at Primeval Whirl that Disney didn't put unrelated people in the same 2 person row. Ive had it happen and I ended up being squished next to a guy who's wife was in front of me! I assumed that time was just a rogue CM. But my experience as a single rider is that I often rode alone.

This new line management seems to be endorsed and not a rogue CM so I'm a bit confused. I guess it depends on the ride??

I think this used to definitely be the policy and may still be on some rides, but when the lines are long at TSMM, 7DMT, RnR, Everest etc ... they won't allow a single rider. However, I know on BTMRR its a different story and I have ridden alone many times ... I am assuming this is because of the single lap bar as opposed to rides with an individual lap bar or bench seat...

In April, they tried to get my daughter and i to sit with another couple on Pirates and I politely asked to ride alone and she CM allowed it, no problem!

Maybe it depends on the ride, but I was told at Primeval Whirl that Disney didn't put unrelated people in the same 2 person row. Ive had it happen and I ended up being squished next to a guy who's wife was in front of me! I assumed that time was just a rogue CM. But my experience as a single rider is that I often rode alone.

It must depend on the ride, unless things have changed, because I've never ridden in the same seat with a stranger on Primeval Whirl...in the same car yes, but never the same seat!

I don't find going solo awkward at all, but THAT would definitely be uncomfortable!

It must depend on the ride, unless things have changed, because I've never ridden in the same seat with a stranger on Primeval Whirl...in the same car yes, but never the same seat!

I don't find going solo awkward at all, but THAT would definitely be uncomfortable!

Oh I should edit, on primeval whirl I was alone, but I have been squished into a car on Barnstormer. It was very uncomfortable.

I agree with the no person riding alone to keep the line moving, it would have been nice if the policy changed so the OP would have known.
Our last trip my husband and I went in single rider line at RnR to move quicker, we ended being seated together. We had a good chuckle out of that. Felt like we cut everyone in line.

My 11 yo daughter who often rides alone as her dad and I each take a twin will not like this. She won't feel comfortable with a stranger beside her. Not sure I like the idea of her alone with a stranger either. Especially on TSM where she is out of my sight.

When they used to have a single rider line out at California Adventure for TSM, I noticed they would not pair an adult with a child. Plus they would ask the people if they minded a single rider joining. They have since done away with the single rider line, they also do not have a fastpass line.

My 11 yo daughter who often rides alone as her dad and I each take a twin will not like this. She won't feel comfortable with a stranger beside her. Not sure I like the idea of her alone with a stranger either. Especially on TSM where she is out of my sight.

I definitely understand that. They really shouldn't pair kids with strangers, even for the sake of shorter lines.

I definitely understand that. They really shouldn't pair kids with strangers, even for the sake of shorter lines.
I've never personally seen this situation arise, but I would assume that on a ride like TSMM, they would accommodate you if you asked for your daughter to not be seated with an adult.

I either go solo or with DS and DIL so I'm in essence solo then as well. On the rides like coasters I've always been in the seat with someone else but never on TSMM or HM. I don't think I'd like it on TSMM since it's a skill game, I don't know how I'd feel about it on HM. I do find when I'm solo, I don't ride TSMM anyway so it might not matter.

I don't think they will ever implement this on BTMRR or maybe even splash. Definitely not BTMRR because you squash the person next to you!

However - I agree... with crowds tending upward - they need to run the rides as full as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter