Thoughts on Fireworks

brad813

DIS Veteran
Due to being able to save money on airfare, I had to cut my trip short by a day or two. Now, I am traveling solo, so I have some flexibility. While I plan to hit all four parks, there will be one evening I am unable to see the fireworks, due to attendance at MNSSHP. Which fireworks/show would be best to cut of the four? Also, if anyone has any suggestions for park order, aside from what is listed below, please feel free to post that as well.

Right now my plans are as follows.

Friday, 9/22 - Arrival and Final Fantasy Escape Game(off-property)
Saturday 9/23 - Check-in at Fort Wilderness
Sunday 9/24 - MNSSHP
Tuesday 9/26 - Epcot
Wednesday 9/27 - Departure

Personally I would say skip Illuminations, that is my least favorite firework show of all. If it were me I would have a plan to go to Hollywood Studios and see the Star Wars fireworks. I saw the fireworks for MNSSHP last year and they were so amazing and I feel like this year with the way MK does Happily Ever After now they can have an even better display. Hope you have fun!

I skip Illuminations. Some folks love it, but it's been around forever and I find it to be far too long. Or perhaps it just feels long. While I love World Showcase after dark, I just don't get the "wow" factor from Illuminations anymore.

On the MNSSHP day, they don't do the regular fireworks show in MK, they only do the special Halloween fireworks on those nights for the party. The Halloween fireworks are some of the best Disney does, and the parade is amazing, too.

If you're going to HS and are a Star Wars fan, that nighttime show is pretty cool, too. I didn't feel the need to see it multiple times, but was impressed when I did catch it.

I travel solo occasionally and with a somewhat limited number of days, it is important to pick and choose what you most want to see. Have a great trip!

I skip Illuminations. Some folks love it, but it's been around forever and I find it to be far too long. Or perhaps it just feels long. While I love World Showcase after dark, I just don't get the "wow" factor from Illuminations anymore.

On the MNSSHP day, they don't do the regular fireworks show in MK, they only do the special Halloween fireworks on those nights for the party. The Halloween fireworks are some of the best Disney does, and the parade is amazing, too.

If you're going to HS and are a Star Wars fan, that nighttime show is pretty cool, too. I didn't feel the need to see it multiple times, but was impressed when I did catch it.

I travel solo occasionally and with a somewhat limited number of days, it is important to pick and choose what you most want to see. Have a great trip!

This is also my first visit to the four main parks, so that makes it more difficult to choose.

If you've never seen Illuminations, I would not miss it. If you've seen it a dozen times then I'd say skip it. It may be long in the tooth but it is classic Epcot and worth a view. It is set on such a huge body of water, and the music and fireworks are strong. Even if the story needs some updating.

I'm going to give alternate advice here and say that I rank the Star Works fireworks show lowest. It gets my attention because it is SW themed and it is new, and does have a few great moments never seen before. But it relies so heavily on projections, that only a limited viewing area has an optimal view. The Chinese Theater isn't a great structure for projections. I walked away thinking it wasn't worth spending the evening at DHS just for that.

Are you a Star Wars fan at all?? If so I would say Hollywood Studios is a must, if not it's still a great park but it would probably be better to go to Epcot. I just think Illuminations drags on as @SaraVee mentioned.

Are you a Star Wars fan at all?? If so I would say Hollywood Studios is a must, if not it's still a great park but it would probably be better to go to Epcot. I just think Illuminations drags on as @SaraVee mentioned.

Epcot I am doing a full day at regardless because of the Food and Wine Festival(and of course, Sugar Ray performing). I am a big sci fi fan in general, grew up with the original trilogy. Working on a gray jedi(these are the guys who follow a path between the Jedi and the Sith) costume for the Halloween Party. If it helps any, I do have a return trip to Animal Kingdom planned in December.

Long answer.. I love Illuminations, I liked it better than Wishes (blasphemous I know)
But now with the new Happily Ever After I can't wait to see it
Also, saw the Star Wars Spectacular Fireworks show in August and it blew me away. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but it was still amazing.
Short answer..For your first time back to the parks I'd say see Happily Ever After or Star Wars for sure.

Long answer.. I love Illuminations, I liked it better than Wishes (blasphemous I know)
But now with the new Happily Ever After I can't wait to see it
Also, saw the Star Wars Spectacular Fireworks show in August and it blew me away. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but it was still amazing.
Short answer..For your first time back to the parks I'd say see Happily Ever After or Star Wars for sure.

I've just done Blizzard Beach so far so it's all new. My dates are 9/22-9/27 but 9/22 and 9/27 are pretty much useless due to flights.

Epcot I am doing a full day at regardless because of the Food and Wine Festival(and of course, Sugar Ray performing). I am a big sci fi fan in general, grew up with the original trilogy. Working on a gray jedi(these are the guys who follow a path between the Jedi and the Sith) costume for the Halloween Party. If it helps any, I do have a return trip to Animal Kingdom planned in December.

That sounds interesting (huge Star Wars fan here) for some reason I failed to remember that is when Food and Wine will be here. Food and Wine is a must and it's always great, I still stick with my suggestion and say do the Star Wars fireworks, but since you are coming back in December anyways then maybe save them for that time. Although Hollywood Studios may replace the Star Wars fireworks with a holiday show for the season so you may miss them around that time.

I must be the odd one out here. I would much prefer Illuminations to the Star Wars fireworks. It might be your last chance given the lost sponsorship. I think they will be getting a new show soon.

That sounds interesting (huge Star Wars fan here) for some reason I failed to remember that is when Food and Wine will be here. Food and Wine is a must and it's always great, I still stick with my suggestion and say do the Star Wars fireworks, but since you are coming back in December anyways then maybe save them for that time. Although Hollywood Studios may replace the Star Wars fireworks with a holiday show for the season so you may miss them around that time.

The December visit is only for a day and Animal Kingdom had been decided on for then, along with SeaWorld. Stopping off for a couple days on the way to Miami for a Bahamas cruise.

Only issue may end up being money to complete the costume, but if I don't finish it this year, there is always next.

The December visit is only for a day and Animal Kingdom had been decided on for then, along with SeaWorld. Stopping off for a couple days on the way to Miami for a Bahamas cruise.

Ah that sounds like a relaxing time, hopefully the crowds aren't too crazy for your visit!

My order is Happily Ever After, Star Wars, Fantasmic, Illuminations.

HEA and Star Wars are must sees imo

This is also my first visit to the four main parks, so that makes it more difficult to choose.

If you've never been to the parks, that does make it much harder to pick and choose. If you're going to be in Epcot anyway for food & wine, then giving Illuminations a shot is the easy choice. It's roomy enough around World Showcase that even if you started watching but then wanted to leave before it's over, it's not hard to get out of the crowds like it is at MK once the fireworks start. Illuminations is impressive if you've never seen it before.

Also, if food & wine is your main goal, a full day at Epcot is a good idea - there's so much food on offer that having time to spread out your tastings will enable you to sample more items; there's only so much you can eat at one time, and the booths don't open until 11 am when World Showcase does.

If you've never been to the parks, that does make it much harder to pick and choose. If you're going to be in Epcot anyway for food & wine, then giving Illuminations a shot is the easy choice. It's roomy enough around World Showcase that even if you started watching but then wanted to leave before it's over, it's not hard to get out of the crowds like it is at MK once the fireworks start. Illuminations is impressive if you've never seen it before.

Also, if food & wine is your main goal, a full day at Epcot is a good idea - there's so much food on offer that having time to spread out your tastings will enable you to sample more items; there's only so much you can eat at one time, and the booths don't open until 11 am when World Showcase does.

I eat every hour to hour and a half normally. I chose the day with evening EMH at Epcot for my F&W Day. Figure it would ensure I get plenty of time for the rides as well.

This is a difficult decision to be sure. A couple thoughts....kind of opposed to each other:
Illuminations theoretically could be going away (sponsorship issues and age)....so this might be your only chance to see it. It is also an excellent show that combines many elements together and not just fireworks. That being said, it is longer and a different pace than other fireworks.
I haven't yet seen the Star Wars fireworks (September!) but all of the special fireworks I have seen at HS were fantastic.....like over the top good. Feedback I read about Star Wars is that they are consistent with this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter