This probably is the wrong group to ask....BUT...

I now do minimal planning. Not to sound spoiled, but I have been to the WDW parks countless times and, while there are new experiences, I gravitate towards a more free flow attitude. This is a HUGE stress relief!

We were there over Spring Break and walked up to Via Napoli at lunch for a reservation. We were seated in 15 minutes. I said to my DH that it reminds me of Disney from years ago and I wish it was like that more often!

I'm a down to the minute planner. I spent about a year planning our 5 day trip in 2016. During that 5 day stint, the longest line we waited in was a 45 minute wait at the Buzz/Woody M&G at HS. We were very lucky and were not affected by weather or ride downtime but had a contingency in place just in case. We didn't do everything on the schedule, but we did everything we wanted to do. This would not have happened without a detailed plan. Aside from a one-night MNSSHP trip this fall, our next trip will likely be Summer 2020. Since we only go every 4 years or so, I want to get as much out of this trip as possible so I will start planning Summer 2019. I know it's not for everyone, but I've heard too many horror stories about people spending their day spending hours in line only to ride 1-2 major attractions.
Eh..I planned for over 2 years..then Irma decided to come and we decided to still go down there. Those plans that were planned..yeah they weren't a whole lot of good because the wait times were insanely low and we criss-crossed the parks walking around like crazy chasing after the 5-10min waits (that majority were just walking through the queue)...the knowledge was the more important part (like what FP is, what an ADR is, etc so you can choose what you want to actually plan or not plan for)..but with that knowledge came the understanding that with vacation flexibility is the key. A plan is just a plan but knowing it may not be what you initially well planned for is important too.

And FWIW I have been fortunate, though by sheer happenstance, to go every 6 years (so less than you). Our next trip is who knows. I always treat my vacations like I won't go back. I do know with WDW that I will be back and knew this back in 2011 and then again in 2017 but what I don't know is if that ride I really like riding will be there when I get back, or that show I enjoyed will be there when I get back or be the same show. These things mean I also want to get the most out of my trip.

But do keep in mind people like to do different things. We all vacation differently.

Here's the main reason I put so much time and energy into planning my WDW trips:

When we want to go to Six Flags, we don't stress out over what we're going to ride first or where we're going to eat. We just pick a day, get in the car, and go. But Six Flags is 45-50 minutes away.

To go somewhere that's three states away (not including your own) it's pretty much common sense that you will be there multiple days just to make it worth the trip, i.e. worth the time if you drive, or worth the money if you pony up for plane tickets. And for a stay that's longer than three days, you need to pick a time that works with everyone's schedule, like when the boss will let you take your vacation (if you work in retail you can probably forget about going during Christmas, for example) and when the kids are out of school.
This means you can't just go when you feel like it. There's almost always a wait involved. You have to settle on the right week to go and then begin the countdown to that week.
And what better way to pass the time than to make plans? I plan a lot of minor trip details while watching my days count down (26 until our next trip!) for the same reason I pull out my phone and check facebook or play Bubble Witch when standing in a long line at the grocery store or in a doctor's waiting room. Because it's fun! And it makes the wait a little more bearable.
And if I can actually be ready with a plan of attack when we finally set foot in the Land of the Mouse...so much the better.

But of course there is such a thing as overplanning. Overplanning is when it stops being fun and becomes an obsession. I try not to let it get to that point.

I now do minimal planning. Not to sound spoiled, but I have been to the WDW parks countless times and, while there are new experiences, I gravitate towards a more free flow attitude. This is a HUGE stress relief!

Yes we are at this state as well. We have been many times. I still plan out some FP+ and ADR's but beyond that we just go with the flow and hit the ride and attractions that we want and that are available. I do use my Disney AP to find the shortest wait times. We always get PH and move from park to park. We also find we have many of dinners at EPCOT so we need PH for that as well.

We fall somewhere in the middle. My husband and I were raised 2 hours south of disney world. We’ve been countless times. Our son has a December birthday....which is horrific for parties. It was either have one in November, or have one in January. December 15, EVERYONE is busy. We’ve turned down so many invitations and company Christmas parties because it lands on his birthday.....so the poor kid had Disney birthday weekends. In the end, it was a lot less fuss, and came in about the same cost as hosting a party. So we plan a pricey celebration meal. We always go to Mvmcp. We pick a park, and in that park......pick something that we’ve heard about, or always wanted to do but ran out of time on previous trips. The rest of the day is spent going with the flow and just enjoying each other. He’s soon off to grad school.....How time flies!

We do two major vacations (of at least week) each year--generally one for relaxing and one for exploring. The relaxing one we book a hotel, a flight and maybe pick a few restaurants or clubs in advance--I'm totally alright with going with the flow in Puerto Vallarta or Key West. The exploring one is always planned and for us that's where a Disney style trip falls--we're flying hours to go somewhere and see and do a lot and there's a lot of planning involved in that for us. So yes, we plan a Disney vacation within an inch of its life, just like we do one to New York, Paris or San Francisco.

No, you're wrong. I am and always have been a planner....the planner for the family as well. But I dislike having to make ride appointments and worrying about being on the phone first thing in the morning to book a restaurant, ride, etc...

I knew more about WDW (back in the day) than anyone I knew....over-informed.

But there IS something lost with having an itinerary and knowing just what the rides are like thanks to youtube...the sense of wonder can be buried in having to be somewhere in a rush. Kinda like the people in NYC who never appreciate the grandeur of the buildings or the throb of the city itself..............they're too busy getting to work, or a play, or a reservation......

just old and cranky, I guess.

(btw, I'm here planning our Feb 2019 trip......have been for a while).....
THIS! The first trip my family took was the most fun we ever had and it's because we winged everything but 2 ADR's.

I suppose it depends on who you are, as I love, love, love, Love planning (did I mention I love it).

I would never do a Disney break without my ADRs or FP+ and I get lots of enjoyment coming on these boards and getting hints and tips on how improve on plans.

So trying to wing it or go with the flow would be a sheer stress nightmare for me.

I would hate it if I didn't have a plan but that's just me - Although I am not totally nuts (nearly but not there yet) so will allow some flex and changes to the plan that's why I love the App. As if we think we might want to do something else I can hop on there and see if it's possible.

But just remember "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail" lol :thumbsup2:rotfl::thumbsup2

I, too love the planning! So much so, I am on the DIS a LOT even though my last trip was in 2014 and who knows when my next trip will be. I am hoping for 2019 but who knows. But I love our Disney trips so much I am always thinking about the next one.

To me - the planning is part of the fun, as crazy as that may sound. I love having every day planned down to the minute, with the most gratifying part of the day being the end where the wife and kids are amazed at how much we got done and how smoothly the day went, in reviewing how the coordination went around navigating the park(s), pre-planned FP's, same day FP's, ADR's, and dessert parties. The feeling of accomplishment that comes with the fulfillment of a well laid out plan is what keeps me going, and what gets me going starting the plan for the next trip the day we get back from the current one.

Yes, this! Our family trips have been filled with more relaxing moments than the stressful, moments when we do not have any idea what we want to do and everyone is just - "Well, what do you want to do? Where should we go?" That just leads to more stress for my family just based on our personalities. Sometimes it is because we are all trying to please someone else and trying to pick something someone else would like that it takes us FOREVER to make a decision and go with it - so we lose a lot of our previous park time.

I plan like crazy because I enjoy it, but when my sister and her family went last year I asked her what she had planned and she said "What is there to plan?" o_O
And this is my philosophy - to each his or her own. I the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. At least everyone gets to go to Disney!! So, I love to plan and am on the DIS with others who seem to like to plan. But if others are going to Disney and they are not into planning - I understand. I just ask them to share their favorite parts with me when they get back. I can get my Disney fix and hear what others like about Disney.

Planning keeps me busy and helps with other stresses in life until we go on our trip. Once we are there we usually do a good bit of winging it.

EXACTLY!!! I love the planning and use it for my stress relief! So much so, that I will read the forum, check prices and then jot down some ideas for what I would plan if I could go.

Many years ago our only planning was let's hit Fantasyland at opening. Now we book FP's and we know some restaurants we love like Sci-fi book up so we reserve them. I have fun thinking about what rides we want to do the most. But we don't plan ride order and certainly not minute by minute planning. Some people who plan have to stick to it. Others of us love the planning because it lets us think about Disney but are totally flexible once in the park. I loved the paper fast passes. I'm good with how it is now and will use it to our advantage. Saving time in line or wondering around trying to find an open restaurant gives us more flexibility the other times of the day. So sometimes decent planning can lead to more flex time. If that makes sense. I realize it sounds like a contradiction. Truly whatever works for each family. Whatever brings them their own magical experience is the way to do it.

Yes! It seems that one of the biggest advantageous to planning ahead is having a nice evening meal. So the ADRs are great since we go during the PEAK SUMMER season. I know my family and I know that we all can get really cranky and on each other's nerves if we are hot, tired or hungry. So, I will pick a TS and get an ADR or at least know of two CS places is relative closeness to each other so that when it is meal time we know where to go, even when it is busy.

Like others, I've been a planner since I had to do it on paper with only the Unofficial Guide and the Birnbaum books to help me. I love the planning: it extend the magic of my trips throughout the year. Disney is a serious addiction for me, and that's how I get my fix.

I absolutely understand, though, that different people like to travel in different ways and have different levels of obsession/revulsion when it comes to Disney and planning. To each her own!

Count me in as one who has been a Disney planner forever. I remember reading over the Unofficial Planning Guide over and over from cover to cover. I would then write out my plans on notecards and would bring the notecards into the parks with me. The cards would have a tentative plan and the location of restaurants that I thought our family would like.

THIS! I'm finding the planning that I'm doing gives me so much enjoyment and relaxation from the rigors of life. And yet, I know darn well that we'll be doing alot of winging it, too!
Exactly! As a teacher I have learned to be very flexible and often drop my plans totally and just go with the flow and what feels right at that moment.

As some others have said here, the planning can be a big part of the appeal. I personally love planning my Disney trips - FP+s, ADRs, which hotel we're going to choose this time, etc etc etc. For me the key is to be flexible in spite of the plans, i.e. not feeling like we HAVE to adhere to a strict schedule while we're there. Some days we do everything as planned and others we don't - I like having the option of having the plans in place, but other than being sure to cancel ADRs more than 24 hours in advance, there are no consequences for deciding at the last minute not to stick to your plans.

Yes! That is what I try to share with the few people who ask for ideas or advice on planning a trip for Disney. I tell them to go ahead and make some plans ahead of time but know that you can always drop the plans when you are there and change things up.

I'm a down to the minute planner. I spent about a year planning our 5 day trip in 2016. During that 5 day stint, the longest line we waited in was a 45 minute wait at the Buzz/Woody M&G at HS. We were very lucky and were not affected by weather or ride downtime but had a contingency in place just in case. We didn't do everything on the schedule, but we did everything we wanted to do. This would not have happened without a detailed plan. Aside from a one-night MNSSHP trip this fall, our next trip will likely be Summer 2020. Since we only go every 4 years or so, I want to get as much out of this trip as possible so I will start planning Summer 2019. I know it's not for everyone, but I've heard too many horror stories about people spending their day spending hours in line only to ride 1-2 major attractions.

I am with you SquashBanana - since we only go every four years or so, the planning helps us to get the most out of our time there and do most of the things we want to do.

In many ways, Disney has forced us to plan to the extreme. Dining plans, Fastpass+... I have found myself forced to overplan and sometimes compete with other people for reservations, etc... all of this adds to planning part. It took me a while(several years of going) to get to the point where I do still plan, but I'm not shackled to the plan anymore. If we do it great!, if we miss it, OK, we're still in WDW after all.

For me personally, in 2015 I had that moment, where I realized that I was miserable because I was putting to much stress on myself to tour a certain way, which poured out on the rest of my family. So from that trip on, I find my joy in the little things, and don't sweat the small stuff.

I'm a planner because I love it! It makes the trip more magical for me, the building of excitement. Granted I don't plan our days from beginning to end. I do our dining reservations and our fast passes, the rest of it, we roll with the flow and do what we want. We've never felt stressed or like were on a strict schedule this way.

3 morning fp table service lunch.. thats the planning we do. Why is that so hard? Or frowned upon and being said as a over planner? If you want to wait in line for no reason when literally 2 min to book for. Than so be it. But I like to know I get to go on a few rides and a sit down lunch everyday. The stress of not knowing what we are doing is harder than the 5 min online planning that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter