This probably is the wrong group to ask....BUT...

I'm a down to the minute planner. I spent about a year planning our 5 day trip in 2016. During that 5 day stint, the longest line we waited in was a 45 minute wait at the Buzz/Woody M&G at HS. We were very lucky and were not affected by weather or ride downtime but had a contingency in place just in case. We didn't do everything on the schedule, but we did everything we wanted to do. This would not have happened without a detailed plan.

I beg to differ. We spent less than 45 minutes "planning" an 11 day trip this past Christmas. The longest line we waited in was maybe 30 minutes and we got to do tons of things...the only one thing we missed was FoP.

My first trip as a kid to WDW in the 80s involved a lot of planning. It wasn't me that did it, but a relative that went on the trip did the planning. Before the general public used the internet, travel planning books for WDW were very popular and widely available. So, the planning existed before the internet. People then and now either plan or don't plan.

No, you're wrong. I am and always have been a planner....the planner for the family as well. But I dislike having to make ride appointments and worrying about being on the phone first thing in the morning to book a restaurant, ride, etc...

I knew more about WDW (back in the day) than anyone I knew....over-informed.

But there IS something lost with having an itinerary and knowing just what the rides are like thanks to youtube...the sense of wonder can be buried in having to be somewhere in a rush. Kinda like the people in NYC who never appreciate the grandeur of the buildings or the throb of the city itself..............they're too busy getting to work, or a play, or a reservation......

just old and cranky, I guess.

(btw, I'm here planning our Feb 2019 trip......have been for a while).....

I agree with a lot of this! I LOVE making plans - it starts the vacation early, in a sense! However, this past trip with all the pre-booked fast passes kind of stunk... It didn't leave any room for flexibility as life happened on the trip (toddlers falling asleep in a stroller or finding yourself on the other side of a crowded park toying with the idea of another show... all choices, of course, and mine to make, but I always felt like I was missing an appointment rather than just making a choice on a ride...) We ended up missing a few (and canceling them to hopefully free them up for other people) but it just felt like - the enjoyment of picking a ride the day of was kind of gone. Now, I've never LOVED a 90 minute wait, so I also can understand the need for a system like this... But I was really torn on whether it positively or negatively impacted the trip. Things like dinner reservations I am always more than fine with, even in my life in reality I'd rather know we have a place to sit, but to book out what rides I'd like to hit two months early is crazy.

Well-first trip back after 10 years was 2014-yep, did plan quite a bit. Was when FP+ was really just rolling out, stayed offsite and still didn't book FP until about 20 days out. Used TP as well. Family thought it was a great trip because of the preplan and virtually no waiting in lines. Also planned pretty well well our 2015 trip but that was for Star Wars Weekends and I wanted to get the most out of it!
Since then-eh not so much. DD is going to start her 2nd college program this summer, so we have been way more than we ever thought we would go this past year. For our 2 week June trip I have a total of 3 days FP+, and 2 ADRs. That is it-will wing it and do day before/day off plans.

It is much easier to let go of uber planning when you go often I found. I really enjoyed the planning for our 2015 SWW trip, but am enjoying that I don't have to do lots of planning now too.

Just to echo what has already been said above, I really don't think it's the internet as much as it is Disney's own policies that really make it difficult to have a good vacation there without a ton of planning. It's kind of sad. They decide to allow people to book things 180 days out. Or 60 days out. They decided to change the paper fastpass, which was great, to this new technology. It wasn't broke but they tried to fix it anyway (well, I guess it was broke for all the lazy people that sleep all day and want fastpasses).

I think it depends on how frequently you visit, what your goals are and when you are going. You can certainly go without a plan and just rope drop hit what you can for rides and then just leave and have a relaxing afternoon. Call up or go online and see what dining reservations are available and pick something. This can be ok for more of the off seasons. During the holidays you won't accomplish much nor will you have much to choose for ADR's. This is ok if you go a lot, are just traveling with adults and have low expectations of what you are going to accomplish. If you are going for the once in a lifetime or once only every 5 years trip to WDW and/or traveling with children then you will be better off with a good plan for rides and meals.

I would love a trip where there is no plan but we are still loving everything so we try to pack as much into our visits despite visiting 3 times in the past 4 years. Now the family won't go until 2020 -- so again with new things to see (toy story and hopefully star wars) we will have to plan in order to see those new areas of the park.

Disney does add to the need to plan -- you have to pick your ADR 6 months out - or be left with little to choose from. FP have to be done 60 days out or again you will have little to choose from.

It all heavily depends on expectations -- If you must ride FOP or mine train - you better have a FP or you will find yourself standing in line for 2 hours --- who wants to do that? Or if you are ok with missing those rides move on to other rides with shorter waits or snag day of FP.

You can't go to WDW with no plan and expect to see and do it all -- that is why we plan, so that we can make the most of our time there.

Just to echo what has already been said above, I really don't think it's the internet as much as it is Disney's own policies that really make it difficult to have a good vacation there without a ton of planning. It's kind of sad. They decide to allow people to book things 180 days out. Or 60 days out. They decided to change the paper fastpass, which was great, to this new technology. It wasn't broke but they tried to fix it anyway (well, I guess it was broke for all the lazy people that sleep all day and want fastpasses).
I agreed with you up until that last line. I don't think it's lazy to want to sleep late on vacation.

Oh boy.

So expand on your thoughts here, please.

Why is it difficult to have a "good vacation" without a ton of planning?

Why exactly is it Disney's own policies that cause this issue you claim?

If you don't think 180 days for dining and 60 days for FP+ is the right number, then what is? 120 and 40? 50 and 10? You pick the number.. 60, 90, 123, 371. Whatever day you pick, that's the day people will jump on and make reservations. So how is it a WDW issue? Should they wipe all ability to make an advance reservation and everything is first come, first serve? Imagine that chaos. I think (hope) we'd agree that if nobody were allowed to make any reservations for any restaurant or any ride at any time, it would be an absolute disaster. So then what solution would you propose?

You may not like the new FP+ system, but it's here. Personally, I love it. Guess I'm one of those "lazy" people because I don't want to be up at the crack of dawn on my vacation so I can stand outside in a hoard of people and make a mad rush into the park. I'll just use FP+ instead, thank you very much. Lazy.... :sad2:

Most people I know make no plans and have a great time.

The people I know that make no plans and don't have a good time are just the kind of people that wouldn't like WDW whether they planned or not. WDW isn't for everyone. I hear a lot of people on the boards say "well had they done X, Y and Z they would have had a good time." Nope...I don't buy that for most people. Some will never like WDW no matter the plans.

My best vacation was our least planned one. We didn't know we were going until 4 weeks before. Got a few ADR's and drove to Florida. 6 nights on property and we had an AMAZING time!!

Next trip I'm doing 3 ADRs for 9 nights and FP+ each day. Easy enough. I will not plan each ride out or make a detailed to the minute itinerary. I plan which park on which day due to FP+. I don't watch youtube videos of new things. I like to be surprised and live in the moment. Different strokes.

We always have a base plan-one that we've done for years-MK is on Tuesday, Epcot is on Wed, first night dinner is CM, etc.,. But there are just too many variables to make a plan and really stick to it, at least for us. ADRs and FP+ are always made, but often changed for us. So we kinda plan I guess. I think having a general idea of what we are going to do keeps us from wasting valuable time. I don't want to even think about how much Disney is costing me by the minute!

I love the research aspect of "planning", have a countdown calendar and am catching up on old episodes of the dis unplugged. I do not watch the vlogs that showcase details of attractions.
I have visited the World more than 25 times and it's been seven years since my last trip (had to explore other parts of our planet). I am booked on my first solo trip for ten nights in October. I have two ADRs - California Grill for dinner my second night and BOG for lunch one day. I purposely do not make reservations within a park, because with Hoppers, I'm not certain where I will end up any particular evening. I know which parks offer extended hours ane will go with the intention of utilizing rope drop.
I can't imagine planning the day down to the minute. Maybe it's age/ life experience that insists that I stop to savor the gifts large & small; anticipated and unexpected. However you tour, do it with great joy, a grateful heart and an openess for flexibility.

I really like the planning part and seeing it all come together.

No, you're wrong. I am and always have been a planner....the planner for the family as well. But I dislike having to make ride appointments and worrying about being on the phone first thing in the morning to book a restaurant, ride, etc...

I knew more about WDW (back in the day) than anyone I knew....over-informed.

But there IS something lost with having an itinerary and knowing just what the rides are like thanks to youtube...the sense of wonder can be buried in having to be somewhere in a rush. Kinda like the people in NYC who never appreciate the grandeur of the buildings or the throb of the city itself..............they're too busy getting to work, or a play, or a reservation......

just old and cranky, I guess.

(btw, I'm here planning our Feb 2019 trip......have been for a while).....

This is my first trip, and I have definitely planned a lot, albeit slightly grudgingly. However, I totally agree with you about losing something - I have watched so many videos that I sometimes have to remind myself that I haven’t actually been there yet! I refuse to watch ride videos (with a couple of exceptions, as my husband has photosensitive epilepsy and can’t deal with flashing lights) as I really feel that will take away a large amount of the enjoyment of our trip; the sane goes for fireworks and parade videos.

I think our trip will be better as a result of the planning I am doing, but I do definitely feel that I’m losing some of the wonder in the process. I’m hoping that the smooth days will lead to my nieces having a better time, and I can enjoy the wonder through their eyes instead. So I totally understand where you are coming from.

Most people I know make no plans and have a great time.

The people I know that make no plans and don't have a good time are just the kind of people that wouldn't like WDW whether they planned or not. WDW isn't for everyone. I hear a lot of people on the boards say "well had they done X, Y and Z they would have had a good time." Nope...I don't buy that for most people. Some will never like WDW no matter the plans.

My best vacation was our least planned one. We didn't know we were going until 4 weeks before. Got a few ADR's and drove to Florida. 6 nights on property and we had an AMAZING time!!

Next trip I'm doing 3 ADRs for 9 nights and FP+ each day. Easy enough. I will not plan each ride out or make a detailed to the minute itinerary. I plan which park on which day due to FP+. I don't watch youtube videos of new things. I like to be surprised and live in the moment. Different strokes.

So, there's "Plan out each and every ride and meal 6 months in advance" and there's "walk in the gate having done virtually no researching or planning" and there's a whole lot in between.

Yes, some people are just grumpy or averse to following any best practices of any kind. But, if I hadn't gone with a friend who had taken a Disney planning "class" few years ago, we would have had a terrible time. We didn't have everything planned down to the minute, but we knew you had 3 hours in the morning and a window in the evening to get most of rides in and we had realistic expectations what getting food was going to be like and had a handful of ADR's planned out and it made a HUGE difference.

The Disney website and pamphlets don't tell you if you don't book it 2 months ahead of time you're going to be SOL on fast passes for the best rides and if you didn't book reservations ahead, your food options will be difficult and limited. They also don't put in the pamphlet that if you try to ride anything between 11am and 4pm without fastpasses and/or a healthy dose of patience, you're screwed. And good luck with all of that if you have young children with you who don't understand.

I don't think you have to have a detailed plan to have a good time. But, if you're going to ride rides, I do think you have to know more than Disney tells you unless you just accidentally stumble into a good schedule because your family are morning people.

Last edited:
I’m hoping that the smooth days will lead to my nieces having a better time, and I can enjoy the wonder through their eyes instead. So I totally understand where you are coming from.

That's why I planned so hard when our kids were little. Even without the internet I could see that WDW wasn't exactly camping at Pensacola Beach and planned in order to head off the overtired kid meltdowns. It was still all shiny new for them though and being well rested, well fed and well paced didn't hurt things.

I like to plan in such a way that allows plenty of unstructured time to be spontaneous and simply enjoy exploring WDW. I feel like only the most elusive FastPasses and ADRs, and of course any special events (parties, dessert parties, dining packages) should be arranged ahead of time. I like having the big things planned, and then everything else can just flow around those things naturally.

I basically figure out where I want to eat, and which fireworks I want to watch on which nights...and go from there. FastPasses are my last priority as I figure I'll either try to get them on the fly or I'll be in the parks late after the fireworks and will try to get on them then. And if I don't get to ride something, I don't really care.

Yes. Plenty of people do. They come buy 1-day tickets from me at 2PM and don't know there are four theme parks at WDW and/or think that Universal and WDW are the same.

does anyone ever just go to WDW anymore?

Has the internet caused a glut of over-planners who have too much knowledge (as compared to the old days) and make hard and firm plans for their days as opposed to when I first went (having read the brochures) and just enjoyed myself with minimal time-crunch stress...

I'm just an old guy being washed over by nostalgia.........

Yep! We do! Just went for 10 days a couple weeks ago. Have been going since MK first opened. Have never made plans beyond a few ADRs and FPs. Have always had either Hoppers or APs, and always come home satisfied and relaxed. We love the ambiance, F&G Festival especially, and just going with the flow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter