This is Us- Season four

I did a 😮 🤣 at the Urban Legend line about Richard Gere. Really not expecting that line!

This episode definitely wasn’t my favorite. Only warm fuzzy was Jack teaching for the lights.

Well we did find out last night that Rebecca told him not to tell Kate and Kevin.

Yeah, I noticed that right away because when Randall first mentioned keeping quiet about it I thought "Uh-oh...this is what leads to the problem between the siblings." And then I realized it was Rebecca who was asking for them not to be told, and I get that. You already have one kid worrying about you and you don't want the others worrying, too, especially when they have stuff on their plates. But Randall has plenty on his plate, too. He's not Superman. And I feel bad that he's left in a position of not having his siblings' support during this situation. He's between a rock & a hard place. He wants to honor his mother's wish, yet it would be better for all 3 siblings to know the truth now.

So, anyway, I still think that they might wind up angry with him for keeping quiet about it, because while Rebecca asked him to do so, the whole point of this secret is that she's likely suffering from some degree of cognitive impairment. So I could see Kevin &/or Kate arguing that Rebecca wasn't in the best place to make that decision. Ugh. It's just not a great thing, even if it isn't what ultimately leads to them not speaking to one another. :(

Could the man in Randall's house have been not just a random burglar, but someone targeting him because of his political position?

The thought crossed my mind that it might not be a random break-in as well. I'm going to be freaking out until I get past those scenes next week.

I did a 😮 🤣 at the Urban Legend line about Richard Gere. Really not expecting that line!

This episode definitely wasn’t my favorite. Only warm fuzzy was Jack teaching for the lights.
Yes, the Richard Gere thing was really lowbrow writing for a show that is usually so good. I'm surprised it made it in the script. This was not my fave episode either.

I was also surprised by the Richard Gere comment.

I think Kate and Kevin will be upset they were left in the dark especially since they live near Rebecca and Miguel. Randall is all the way across the country. I don't even thing K and K knew he flew out.

I liked the episode. I especially liked the scene at the doctors office when Miguel told Randall he was capable of taking care of his wife. Not that Miguel was truly "standing up" to Randall, but he was a little bit - he always takes such a back seat to Rebecca's kids.

I also though, like the poster above, that the "date" with Kevin and Lizzie was the most hokey thing I've ever seen. It would have made more sense if they had implied that John Legend was having a concert there that night and they were able to get in for his sound check or something, but just having him show up with a big Grand Piano on the stage when the Hollywood Bowl was obviously not hosting anything that night (all the chairs were folded up) was totally unbelievable even with Kevin being a celebrity.

I also agree that Lizzie's voice was the most annoying thing ever!!!!!

Odd, I didn’t even notice her voice being weird. Of course, I was too busy giving her the stink eye for getting attention from Kevin. No one is good enough for him lol

Catching up late as I didn't get to watch the episode until last night.

I agree the Kevin and Lizzie date was lame. Unless something comes out of it later on and I have an "aha" moment and then maybe I won't think it was so lame. LOL

From my couch coaching ....Toby and Kate need some major couples therapy. They are not on the same page at all. Makes sense now that Toby is working out as it's a situation he can control, since he can't fix Jack. The look on Toby's face when Kate told him what she got him for his birthday and then Toby's face when Jack reached for the lights. I was like wow.....you two have a lot to figure out as individuals and as a couple.

Rebecca's storyline is heartbreaking. My tears rolled when she went to the mechanic shop to tell Jack she loved him and then again when she was still remembering him at the end and the tear rolled down her cheek. :sad:

I do feel like it's unfair for Randall to be asked to not tell his siblings of Rebecca's condition when Rebecca knows the anxiety issues Randall has and how he always has to fix everything. Shows she is not thinking clearly.

Bless Miguel. Such a nice man and clearly makes Rebecca happy. Not the kind of love she and Jack had but a warm, affectionate and steady love. And yes...good for him standing up for himself. I am sure not only will Randall incur the wrath of Kate and Kevin, but they will really be angry at Miguel too when they learn of her memory issues.

For the most part, I once again felt the plot points to ring true—is what really gets me about this show. This Is Us is about all of us. Most people can relate to having a sick parent, hiding illness from others and struggling to find love.

Toby’s dilemma is also very real. I had not yet empathized with him as the writers only showed us Kate’s perspective. It was a complete “aha” moment for me. Kate is her parents’ daughter. She was meant to be a mother, and Jack’s disability is just part of his story to her. She doesn’t see it as a disability at all. Toby’s mental illness has blocked him over and over in the quest to create a family with Kate. He does not feel worthy of Kate or Jack. He does not think they need him. He is just there—along for the ride but not part of the story. He isn’t struggling from selfishness. He is struggling with his place in his family—and even the world for that matter. Toby is withdrawing and disconnecting from everything. In the past Kate would have had the time and energy to work with Toby, but her attention is justifiably on Jack right now. I am sad at this storyline, but real life happens this way.

I do agree the hall pass scenes felt hollow and stuck out as such.

What was the Richard Gere line? I obviously missed it, or it didn't register on my radar as somehow being offensive or 'low brow'.

Kevin was talking to an assistant on a movie set about urban legends, he didn't realize a "hall pass" truly existed. In the conversation, he mentioned a few urban legends, Richard Gere and the gerbil was one.

I think that's the only celebrity urban legend I know about. lol

I think the man in Randall's house was real.

Rebecca realizing she will eventually not remember jack...:sad1:

Lizzy's voice drove me nuts too. I hope if she is a recurring role that they aren't speaking roles. lol

Ok? :confused3 Urban legends, by definition, aren't true.

I wasn't offended (it would take a hell of a lot more than that!) It just took me by surprise and then I laughed (you can see by the emoji's I put in my post) that they mentioned that one. I didn't expect it, but it is definitely one most of us know.

For the most part, I once again felt the plot points to ring true—is what really gets me about this show. This Is Us is about all of us. Most people can relate to having a sick parent, hiding illness from others and struggling to find love.

Toby’s dilemma is also very real. I had not yet empathized with him as the writers only showed us Kate’s perspective. It was a complete “aha” moment for me. Kate is her parents’ daughter. She was meant to be a mother, and Jack’s disability is just part of his story to her. She doesn’t see it as a disability at all. Toby’s mental illness has blocked him over and over in the quest to create a family with Kate. He does not feel worthy of Kate or Jack. He does not think they need him. He is just there—along for the ride but not part of the story. He isn’t struggling from selfishness. He is struggling with his place in his family—and even the world for that matter. Toby is withdrawing and disconnecting from everything. In the past Kate would have had the time and energy to work with Toby, but her attention is justifiably on Jack right now. I am sad at this storyline, but real life happens this way.

I do agree the hall pass scenes felt hollow and stuck out as such.

Great post.

Toby is lost and can't make the leap. And I get Kate - her mindset is just make the damn leap - shouldn't even be a leap, get over yourself Toby. There is no space for Toby's struggle because it is selfish.

What an excruciating divide.

I have been on both sides of that coin. Been the one with a selfish struggle. And the one that has no time for someone's vulnerable thoughts because there's a damn task at hand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter