This Is Us- Season 3

Randall needs a smack upside the head right about now. Of course THE perfect solution he comes up with for the situation means Beth gives up her dreams. Of course the girls are in such a fragile state they require several paygrades beyond a practically perfect Mary Poppins. There's no way a more modest priced responsible individual couldn't cover the gaps of basic transportation needs and such for the girls and the (happy and fulfilled) parents (obviously Beth because Randall will be off tilting at windmills and chasing his bliss) could provide the necessary emotional support and stability the girls will need when they get home. Nope, it's clear the only correct and affordable solution is for Beth to sacrifice yet again.

I won't really feel bad about Randall blowing up his homelife for his own sake, but I hate Beth and the girls suffering the fallout. Not loving the idea that Tess' exploration of her sexuality equates to somewhat of a crisis situation either. Supposedly her family loves and accepts her wherever her journey takes her -- surely that was her biggest fear, which has now been mitigated. All that means now is she's an average teen learning to negotiate the world, exactly like her peers are.

Randall needs a smack upside the head right about now. Of course THE perfect solution he comes up with for the situation means Beth gives up her dreams. Of course the girls are in such a fragile state they require several paygrades beyond a practically perfect Mary Poppins. There's no way a more modest priced responsible individual couldn't cover the gaps of basic transportation needs and such for the girls and the (happy and fulfilled) parents (obviously Beth because Randall will be off tilting at windmills and chasing his bliss) could provide the necessary emotional support and stability the girls will need when they get home. Nope, it's clear the only correct and affordable solution is for Beth to sacrifice yet again.

I won't really feel bad about Randall blowing up his homelife for his own sake, but I hate Beth and the girls suffering the fallout. Not loving the idea that Tess' exploration of her sexuality equates to somewhat of a crisis situation either. Supposedly her family loves and accepts her wherever her journey takes her -- surely that was her biggest fear, which has now been mitigated. All that means now is she's an average teen learning to negotiate the world, exactly like her peers are.

Excellent post! :thumbsup2

Before this episode I was thinking there was no way that Beth and Randall would end up divorcing, but after this I can definitely see it happening. I would be incredibly pissed if I were Beth.

Excellent post! :thumbsup2

Before this episode I was thinking there was no way that Beth and Randall would end up divorcing, but after this I can definitely see it happening. I would be incredibly pissed if I were Beth.
If I am being honest, if my husband worked 90 hours a week and I was the sole parent for as long as Beth was, I am not sure the marriage would last. Surely Randall got to a point where he was established and that many hours were not needed (before he had the nervous breakdown). He was addicted to the nice house, nice cars, etc. We have seen that he did not come from money, so he should know that all that isn't what makes his family happy.

If I am being honest, if my husband worked 90 hours a week and I was the sole parent for as long as Beth was, I am not sure the marriage would last. Surely Randall got to a point where he was established and that many hours were not needed (before he had the nervous breakdown). He was addicted to the nice house, nice cars, etc. We have seen that he did not come from money, so he should know that all that isn't what makes his family happy.

I do see how Randall fell into that trap. Once he was on the path in that career it was either all in or you're out. Dialing back wasn't an option if he was going to remain employed there. Usually we see this depicted onscreen regarding women dipping a toe into motherhood and her career collapses.

YES! And I was thinking wouldn't Deja be old enough to stay with the girls for a few hrs until Randall or Beth got home? Or hire a high school or college kid. It's not like they are babies that need constant attention.

YES! And I was thinking wouldn't Deja be old enough to stay with the girls for a few hrs until Randall or Beth got home? Or hire a high school or college kid. It's not like they are babies that need constant attention.

Ordinarily I think it would be fine for Deja to be home with the girls at her age. Given what she shared with Randall I do think she does legitimately need the safety and stability of being picked up afterschool at this point. I do believe Beth and Randall will respect that need, even if it is someone they hire to do the job and be at home with the girls until one of them (Beth) returns.

Ordinarily I think it would be fine for Deja to be home with the girls at her age. Given what she shared with Randall I do think she does legitimately need the safety and stability of being picked up afterschool at this point. I do believe Beth and Randall will respect that need, even if it is someone they hire to do the job and be at home with the girls until one of them (Beth) returns.

Agreed--Deja is doing well, but she doesn't need an extra burden. OTOH, I don't think it would be too hard to find a college kid who could take the girls to activities, help with homework, maybe make simple dinners. They're not babies who need constant tending, they just need someone around who can do adult things, like cooking and driving. Even the cooking might not be so bad--it sounds like Beth's dance schedule would be weird shifts (evenings and Saturdays) versus all-time-consuming.

I also think Tess' coming out is not the huge deal they seem to be making of it. There's no indication that she's being bullied or ostracized, just that she's pretty sure she's gay. It's an adjustment for her parents, who maybe didn't see it coming, but I'd bet serious money that she, herself, has had the thought in her head, long before she articulated it.

I’m pretty sure that I read in one article or another that Beth and Randall were still married in the flash forward.

Did anyone watch tonight? We might have a clue as to what happens with Randall and Beth.

I love the closeness between Rebecca and Kate. Toby rocks.

Kevin, please stop.

Deja is wonderful, as usual. I missed Tess and Annie, though.

Flashback Rebecca had me in tears tonight. Just 4 months have passed. So, so difficult. I'm so glad she sought help.

I feel terrible that I started out not liking Miguel.

The preview for next week has me very worried.

Loved this episode.

The flashback with Rebecca did me in at Randall's graduation and the call to Miguel. I haven't cried awhile watching this show and that did it for me.

I am mad at Randall. I thought for sure either he was going resign or ask Beth to cut back the classes to either just nights or just weekends.

I am very worried for Kate and the baby.

You could see the pain in Kevin's eyes. I hope he can get it together.

I finally got to watch this week's episode and have a question. Before Randall quit his job who took care of the kids while Randall and Beth worked? Beth had been at her job many years so she didn't start when Randall quit his.

I finally got to watch this week's episode and have a question. Before Randall quit his job who took care of the kids while Randall and Beth worked? Beth had been at her job many years so she didn't start when Randall quit his.

Yeah, Annie and Tess must have had some sort of day care situation.

Though I think Deja is really the difference in Randall's head, because she came into the family after he was home, and having a SAHP was a big factor in trying to give her back a little of the childhood she missed out on with her mom - which I do get, and think was good for her. So I definitely see not wanting to ask her to watch the younger ones, but I really don't think having a college-aged helper drive them around a couple of evenings a week will set her back at this point.

Also, I know Rebecca and Miguel have their own lives, and it shouldn't just be assumed they'll step in - but considering her own attempt to get back into singing when her kids were growing up, I'm willing to bet Rebecca would be more than happy to take a day with the girls to give Beth a chance at her dream!

Loved this episode.

The flashback with Rebecca did me in at Randall's graduation and the call to Miguel. I haven't cried awhile watching this show and that did it for me.

I am mad at Randall. I thought for sure either he was going resign or ask Beth to cut back the classes to either just nights or just weekends.

I am very worried for Kate and the baby.

You could see the pain in Kevin's eyes. I hope he can get it together.
As implausible as much of this show is, it would be totally ridiculous to have Randall, just having fought tooth-and-nail to win that election, step down before even taking office. :rolleyes: I actually found the whole my dreams/your dreams thing a little eye-rolly but then again IRL neither my husband or I highly prioritize chasing our bliss...

Yeah, Annie and Tess must have had some sort of day care situation.

Though I think Deja is really the difference in Randall's head, because she came into the family after he was home, and having a SAHP was a big factor in trying to give her back a little of the childhood she missed out on with her mom - which I do get, and think was good for her. So I definitely see not wanting to ask her to watch the younger ones, but I really don't think having a college-aged helper drive them around a couple of evenings a week will set her back at this point.

Also, I know Rebecca and Miguel have their own lives, and it shouldn't just be assumed they'll step in - but considering her own attempt to get back into singing when her kids were growing up, I'm willing to bet Rebecca would be more than happy to take a day with the girls to give Beth a chance at her dream!

So I'm not always the best at keeping the details straight in my head, when it comes to shows with large ensembles...

But how far away do all of the extended Pearson family members live from Randall and Beth?

Granted, most of them aren't in any position to help out with the girls on any REGULAR basis...but with all the flying back-and-forth on planes in so many episodes, I sort of lose track of who is living where.

I still don't see why there couldn't be some workable solution that would allow Randall and Beth to BOTH keep their jobs. Are there no afterschool programs in their city? Do R/B have ABSOLUTELY NO close friends/neighbors whom they trust?

Does anyone have a guess how much Randall's new position pays? I doubt it pays a lot (compared with what they likely made before). For being two pretty smart people, they both seem to have jumped into much lower paying jobs without consideration for the financial (and logistical) impact for their family.

Here’s what I don’t get. Beth took the teaching job when she knew that Randall would be working so far away and long hours. When she got her schedule wouldn’t she already know that there would be no adult home for the kids? Why is she so surprised?
Right? I mean, I get that her needs need to be considered at some point, but Randall had already run for office and won. Was nobody thinking or talking when she took the job? A job that probably doesn't even pay enough to hire after school care.

Stupid ACC basketball tournament! It wasn’t finished until almost 9:20. Could someone please tell me what happened the first 20 minutes? TIA!

Stupid ACC basketball tournament! It wasn’t finished until almost 9:20. Could someone please tell me what happened the first 20 minutes? TIA!

Nothing. It has been on 30 minutes now and I feel like this is the slowest episode ever!!!! Nothing is happening at all. They are all just sitting around the waiting room of the hospital kind of arguing/picking at each other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter