This Is Us- Season 3

Not a great episode for me. It was more annoying than anything else. I knew as soon as I saw Kevin with a water bottle what was likely in it. That was confirmed when Zoe picked it up. I don't know, this episode made me dislike almost all of the characters, but it's just their flaws coming out from the stress I know. The one little bright spot was Toby saying that Kate wanted to see Miguel first. Ha!

I felt very badly for Madison. She knew more about the pregnancy and how Kate was handling it then anybody in the family. I know in troubled times, my best girlfriends would be very welcome with my family, heck they are my family.

LOL, no one will rest until someone on this show gets Alzheimer’s or dementia. Rebecca is just the latest on the conveyer belt. But hey, there’s hope for her yet, Beth is so doing great for someone in the throes of early Alzheimer’s!

And I think the answer to the question is spaghetti and meatballs.

Yes!!

ETA- I’m sure there were errors, like there are in all shows, and I usually let them slide but there’s no way they would let a doll inside the incubator would they? I would think they’d be way too worried about germs at that early age.

I thought that too.

At first I thought, like a pp, that they were showing signs of Rebecca having health issues i.e. her confusion, dazing out, zoning out etc. But I am wondering if it was just her re-living that awful night in the hospital with Jack, and the memories flooding her.

I think it was just the reliving of the earlier night (combined, of course, with worry and lack of sleep)

Kind of feel bad for Miguel, he will never be a Pearson. Also felt bad for Madison. She has been a support for Kate and they were kind of mean to her, except for Miguel.

Agreed! There was no call for treating her like that.

Going to have to rewatch, I’m sure I missed stuff.

I almost always rewatch!

I definitely felt the first time through that Rebecca's mental issues all stemmed from the stress of being in a hospital waiting room again and being afraid to eat anything for fear that history would repeat itself.

Excellent point!

I don't know, this episode made me dislike almost all of the characters, but it's just their flaws coming out from the stress I know.

Me too! I hated all the sniping!!

I wasn't over being mad at Randall from the last episode, and I am so mad at Kevin lying to Zoe. - I get you're an addict; I get you're unbelievably scared; the relapse I can forgive. But she's on your side!

LOL, no one will rest until someone on this show gets Alzheimer’s or dementia. Rebecca is just the latest on the conveyer belt. But hey, there’s hope for her yet, Beth is so doing great for someone in the throes of early Alzheimer’s!

It never crossed my mind that Rebecca has any form of dementia last night. I thought it was reliving Jack and being emotionally and physically exhausted. But I certainly don't want to make fun of others sharing their viewpoints - which of course could have validity even though I personally didn't see it - especially with such intense sarcasm.

As for Beth. For me it was never about Beth. I tried to explain that the last time. It was about that original scene. How an older Randall was trying to lovingly say to his adult daughter we must go see her. It really seemed like someone was alive, but painful to see. For some of us we unfortunately understood the emotion, whether dementia or not, of feeling sick to our stomachs facing something/someone where you need emotional strength to do so.

----------

EDIT:

Forget it. Obviously I missed that it was determined Rebecca was the character talked about in that fastforward scene, with Randall and Tess. So no more freewheeling thoughts necessary.

Last edited:
The one little bright spot was Toby saying that Kate wanted to see Miguel first. Ha!

Yes. :rotfl2:

And then Miguel almost getting up. Oh Miguel!

As someone who had a ton of dislike for Toby early on, well thank God for his levity at times. The show has become overly dramatic for my taste.

But still watching.

-------------

And I know every story is different -

But my niece turned sixteen yesterday. And she was 1lbs 10??oz at birth, at around six months. I remember those tiny little grasps.

Lucky us! She is a normal sixteen year old full of drama, humour and mad skills.

Last edited:

Yes. :rotfl2:

And then Miguel almost getting up. Oh Miguel!

As someone who had a ton of dislike for Toby early on, well thank God for his levity at times. The show has become overly dramatic for my taste.

But still watching.

-------------

And I know every story is different -

But my niece turned sixteen yesterday. And she was 1lbs 10??oz at birth, at around six months. I remember those tiny little grasps.

Lucky us! She is a normal sixteen year old full of drama, humour and mad skills.

And when Madison joined the game of saying a food. She thinks hard then..toothpaste. I laughed hard at that.

I put Rebecca's "weirdness" down to stress, lack of sleep, and lack of eating. Any one of those three things can make you crazy, all three together, and there's no telling where your mind is going to go. It kind of reminded me when my FIL died--suddenly, but not unexpectedly (he had terminal cancer, but a blood clot killed him). He was young (58), we weren't ready, and his body was cremated before we got out to Hawaii where he was, so the whole thing was surreal. I remember that I kept thinking up stupid, inappropriate jokes about his cremains--"Don, get your feet off the coffee table!", "That's Don all over!" I was laughing hysterically. Of course, it really wasn't funny, but your mind does weird things. That's what I thought of when Rebecca was commenting on the chairs, etc.

I put Rebecca's "weirdness" down to stress, lack of sleep, and lack of eating. Any one of those three things can make you crazy, all three together, and there's no telling where your mind is going to go. It kind of reminded me when my FIL died--suddenly, but not unexpectedly (he had terminal cancer, but a blood clot killed him). He was young (58), we weren't ready, and his body was cremated before we got out to Hawaii where he was, so the whole thing was surreal. I remember that I kept thinking up stupid, inappropriate jokes about his cremains--"Don, get your feet off the coffee table!", "That's Don all over!" I was laughing hysterically. Of course, it really wasn't funny, but your mind does weird things. That's what I thought of when Rebecca was commenting on the chairs, etc.

I agree. And she's always been one to kind of zone out and connect the present to memories (which of course, is a good habit for a character in this show to have, considering they need to vary the ways they drop into flashbacks).

Definitely slow for me. I hate these episodes where they put the entire cast together in a confined space for an episode with various little discussions going on. But I've always been one to prefer plot driven shows. Plus, I rarely just sit and watch. Last night I was scrapbooking while I watched (on DVR).

Make it work Randall and Beth, there is a solution somewhere in there
How about they sell the suburban New York McMansion and move to the lower-income New Jersey neighbourhood that Randall fought so hard to convince everyone he was actually interested in being a part of? Beth could start a dance program at the community centre and nurture talent in less-privileged kids. They could all be home for supper every night. Problem solved. :rolleyes1

I am so mad at Kevin lying to Zoe. - I get you're an addict; I get you're unbelievably scared; the relapse I can forgive. But she's on your side!

And that's where it is well written. Who cares about support or the truth or relationships - when you're an addict.

Last edited:
It never crossed my mind that Rebecca has any form of dementia last night. I thought it was reliving Jack and being emotionally and physically exhausted. But I certainly don't want to make fun of others sharing their viewpoints - which of course could have validity even though I personally didn't see it - especially with such intense sarcasm.

As for Beth. For me it was never about Beth. I tried to explain that the last time. It was about that original scene. How an older Randall was trying to lovingly say to his adult daughter we must go see her. It really seemed like someone was alive, but painful to see. For some of us we unfortunately understood the emotion, whether dementia or not, of feeling sick to our stomachs facing something/someone where you need emotional strength to do so.

----------

EDIT: I forgot to add last night that the addition of Toby into those scenes made me doubt it is Beth. And of course it could be many issues other than dementia. It simply felt like someone was alive, but incapacitated. It could also be another kind of place that is difficult to visit - treatment centre, mental health facility, jail (hope not on all - that would mean tons more drama) We are very close to finding out. I think kimblebee?? said we would know by the ninth episode.

Are you talking about who "her" is? If so, it was already revealed.

Are you talking about who "her" is? If so, it was already revealed.

Well I am completely out of it then. :rotfl2::thumbsup2

I thought the "her" that we were waiting for was directly from the scene with a much older Randall. Fill me in, I must have missed an episode or I do way too many things while watching. :drinking1

Kevin drinking on the sly while still in the very immediate aftermath of his relapse was uncovered is a very, very bad sign about the status of his addiction. It's now worse than when he went to rehab.

Yep.

I thought it was realistic not to clean it all up in the episode.

Well I am completely out of it then. :rotfl2::thumbsup2

I thought the "her" that we were waiting for was directly from the scene with a much older Randall. Fill me in, I must have missed an episode or I do way too many things while watching. :drinking1

LOL I feel so lost sometimes with this show. All the flashing forward and back etc. But "her" is Rebecca. I can't remember when they revealed this or how, I just remember it's Rebecca. LOL!!

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: As it turns out, the “her” is none other than Rebecca, who seems to be living deep into her 80s. That’s big news, right?
DAN FOGELMAN: That would seem to be big news. The only thing that is made clear at the end of this episode is that they’re going to see her. We certainly answered the question about who everyone was going to see, who everyone’s been talking about. Exactly what that looks like and what that is — it takes a lot more present-day story to fill in the gaps to understand the future.

Yep.

I thought it was realistic not to clean it all up in the episode.

It's not possible. It's scary to think that the situation is incredibly dire and it's highly unlikely anyone in the family has the capacity to address it the way it will require at this point. Kate will absolutely want to and would ordinarily be the one most likely. Unfortunately her last attempt will now be linked with her early labor and she's likely to be dealing with the aftermath for some time. It may even wind up that she blames Kevin as time goes on and therefore turns her back on whatever his issues may be. Randall has an overfull plate, first with his causes, then with Beth and the girls. It's not overly likely Kevin will be high on his list of priorities. Rebecca will be likely focused on Kate and Baby Jack, and will potentially be pulled into checking on the status of Randall and Beth.

Just has been the normal pattern, everyone will either not notice Kevin or assume the surface glance tells the tale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter