This doesn’t sound good (EMH going away?)

Maybe, maybe not. They have discouraged bringing cars by putting the parking fee in place, so even of there was a nominal fee for ME, if it’s less than the parking fee, people will probably pay to use it, complaining all the while. Besides, with Uber and Lyft, people are free to go off properly any time they want with complimentary ME.

I am not saying it will happen, just that when it comes to rumors, nothing is off the table.
If they charge for DME I think it would more likely be in a overall resort fee rather than just for DME. I think that is more likely.

Paying for DME would give people more ability to go off property so I don’t see that happening.

I agree.

We’re a large party, if it’s a per person charge it makes it easier to justify renting the vehicle we contemplate getting anyways each trip. Once we’ve got that vehicle and lost the convenience of DME nothing stopping us from adding on a couple days at Universal. One of the biggest things stopping us at this point is DME making it so easy to just do Disney.

Could it be something related to Evening Extra Magic Hours at Magic Kingdom? I mention this because if you look at Kenny's calendar for October, the Wednesday 2 hour evening EMH has been replaced with a 1 hour morning EMH. And, it's not just once due to a special occasion.

I think so. I was in his group just today and the topic of how there are less EMH came up, and he said "it's about to get worse"...

So I'm guessing (all) EMH will be phased out soon. And really, who here does that surprise?

I think so. I was in his group just today and the topic of how there are less EMH came up, and he said "it's about to get worse"...

So I'm guessing (all) EMH will be phased out soon. And really, who here does that surprise?

Not me.

They’ve depleted them of most of their value over the years so we won’t miss them and conditioned people to paying $$$$ for the extra park hours.

I’ll be honest, I have an October trip and I’ll be VERY happy if this looming announcement is the removal of EMH instead of a FP+ change.

It doesn't surprise me NOW. A few months ago I felt confident they would have EMH daily when GE opens like they did for Pandora and TSL.

I've changed my opinion the last few months.

It doesn't surprise me NOW. A few months ago I felt confident they would have EMH daily when GE opens like they did for Pandora and TSL.

I've changed my opinion the last few months.

I’m not sure what to think. They just added more hotels to the benefit through 2020. Epcot PM EMH is on the calendar in October. If Monday 10/7 hours are out tomorrow without MK PM EMH, then I’ll be disheartened. But not quite yet.

I’m not sure what to think. They just added more hotels to the benefit through 2020. Epcot PM EMH is on the calendar in October. If Monday 10/7 hours are out tomorrow without MK PM EMH, then I’ll be disheartened. But not quite yet.

It would shock me if they got rid of EMH, since it's a big perk for onsite stays. I can see them switching it to morning only, though.

Paying for DME would give people more ability to go off property so I don’t see that happening.

I cannot recall exactly, but didn't Disney start doing the free transportation from MCO once Universal really took off. It wasn't free in the '90s.

Not me.

They’ve depleted them of most of their value over the years so we won’t miss them and conditioned people to paying $$$$ for the extra park hours.

I’ll be honest, I have an October trip and I’ll be VERY happy if this looming announcement is the removal of EMH instead of a FP+ change.
Including the Springs hotels that get EMH there's what 27? Between 4 parks rotate a group of 6-7 hotels that get EMH at each park. Sort of forcing ppl to choose which park by what hotel they stay in of they want EMH.

I cannot recall exactly, but didn't Disney start doing the free transportation from MCO once Universal really took off. It wasn't free in the '90s.

Magical Express started in 2005. Can’t say I recall anything prior to that, we always used a taxi. But I do remember the fuss the taxi services put up over Magical Express taking their business, not only from airport trips but to other destinations in the area.

Disney changed its acceptance of people going elsewhere and started to combat it right at the end of the Eisner era. Early on it was very common for people to do Magic Kingdom and Epcot then continue onward to Busch and/or SeaWorld. A few years after Islands of Adventure opened it became clear that Universal was drawing people off property. So yes, once they saw what they were leaving on the table, they moved to retain people’s full attention for their trips.

That would surprise me only because they just charged the DS hotels to be able to offer that perk. How could they then take it away. But who knows.

It would shock me if they got rid of EMH, since it's a big perk for onsite stays. I can see them switching it to morning only, though.

They've slowly but surely moved that perk over to the 60 day fastpass window. That is much cheaper than EMH in terms of staffing, but without it you get stuck in huge lines waiting for the E-ticket rides, or you can just pay $250 to get the same EMH that you used to get for free...

So....no update? My guess is that it is either the paid fast pass (or tiered by resort category like universal) or end of free dining all together. Really, at this point I'd be more surprised if they kept free dining than if they got rid of it.
A few hours ago he wrote:

Tomorrow is the likely release.

whatever that means

yes, I'll be very upset. I don't give a crap about SWGE but I want to see Mickeys Runaway Railway. We won't be coming back for 3-4 years and that is the one ride I was so looking forward to.
If I have to battle the crowds to get into HS while in there in September I at least want to be able to see something new.
I do care a little bit about SWGE. With that minor variation I am in a similar boat as you are.

I don't care about anything anymore.

I just want to know resort prices for next year and how bad the increase will be. Everything will fall into place when I figure out how much we have to pay to stay where we want. Resort is numero uno in importance for us.

A few hours ago he wrote:

Tomorrow is the likely release.

whatever that means
He might post something about it tomorrow, in other words bait people to keep checking??? Honestly there's sooo many thing that could anger ppl it's hard telling. Personally paid FP would be #1. Other possibilities he's referring to: "oops SWGE will be scheduled access, SWGE won't be able to open at the announced date, monorail is going out of service for extended refurb, meet & greets going to paid, DME going to paid... it's hard telling.

With the amount of teasing Kenny is doing, it better be something extreme like Disney is moving to an all child labor force to make their clothes, or something insanely bad like that, to make the buildup worth it.
I am not at all hoping for that, just sick of the anticipation for something that is sure to not be that extreme.

Whenever anyone does this kind of build up I assume it will be something incredibly over hyped and not at all interesting. Like, watch it be shifting what days EMH is. Yes, it’d upset people planning but its not a crazy hype worthy news item ya know?

(And I assume this with anything, not necessarily Disney stuff. If you have to hype and hype and hype its probably not that interesting. Otherwise the news item would stand on its own just fine).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter