• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

This doesn’t sound good (EMH going away?)

I really hate this word, and I mean hate. We aren't talking about a $5 product, or even a $150 product, we're talking about a product that people are paying thousands for. I know the 6k I'm spending this summer is small compared to what some spend, but when i spend that kind of money, i expect a lot. Especially when I have paid far less and received far more from the same company.

I really hate this word, and I mean hate. We aren't talking about a $5 product, or even a $150 product, we're talking about a product that people are paying thousands for. I know the 6k I'm spending this summer is small compared to what some spend, but when i spend that kind of money, i expect a lot. Especially when I have paid far less and received far more from the same company.
I agree you’re entitled to expect no major changes for a trip you already booked. However, park hour just came out & it’s always stated that they are subject to change. So, if you booked before they came out (which you must have), nothing you were entitled to when you booked has actually changed. You assumed things would stay the way they have been, but that was a gamble. And, ftr, a lot of what I was referring to is ppl complaining that they’re being priced out & blaming other guests for it. Everyone has the right to spend their money how they see fit & no one is entitled to a certain price point for vacation.

Definition of entitled: feeling that you have the right to do or have what you want without having to work for it or deserve it, just because of who you are.
Definitely a lot of entitled people in the world and definitely an overused adjective nowadays.
But calling people who stay on Disney property for a premium with the promise that they get perks in return, and then who complain when those perks get taken away, an entitled bunch just because some see no problem paying extra for those same perks and expect those "entitled" people to just shutup about it?

Last edited:
My husband brought up a valid point last night and maybe it came up in this thread already. I admit I have lost focus on it.

Are they shifting EMH to morning at MK in order to have more later nights at HS? Is this a plan to make sure to have enough staff over at HS?

I'm not trying to make excuses for Disney by any means. I just don't think we ever give them the credit of having a bigger plan in mind.

Actually, I did address this, either in this thread, or another one. If Disney so badly needs staffing resources for HS, there are 4 Halloween parties every week in October that will be utilizing a lot of staff. Yes, I know that tickets have already been sold for these parties, and that Disney is able to profit from those parties. But, you have t think Disney already knew what they were going to do long before the party tickets went on sale.

But, my point is that the staffing need at HS will be there for all 7 days of the week, not just Wednesday nights. For example, the staffing shortage is not so dire that they cancelled the Epcot EMH on Tuesday nights. So, no, I'm very skeptical that staffing at HS is a major contributing factor here. A convenient one, certainly. But, once you think about it, does not add up.

Definition of entitled: feeling that you have the right to do or have what you want without having to work for it or deserve it, just because of who you are.
Definitely a lot of entitled people in the world and definitely an overused adjective nowadays.
But calling people who stay on Disney property for a premium with the promise that they get percs in return, and then who complain when those percs get taken away, an entitled bunch just because some see no problem paying extra for those same percs and expect those "entitled" people to just shutup about it?
No perk was taken from anyone who booked before park hours were released. Those ppl assumed the perk would be there b/c historically it has been. That is always a gamble. It is the very definition of entitled to expect a private business to set their price point at a certain level b/c that’s what you (collective) feel comfortable spending. Entitled is simply the belief that you are owed something.

This is exactly what many people assumed was happening when DAH was originally introduced. Disney knows that people love being in their parks at night, and there is a niche audience that will pay extra for that opportunity. Disney accommodated, to some degree, both for a period of time, but has now decided to go all-in on the up-charge event. And, much like they have done with the Holiday parties, they will continue to sell more and more of the up-charge tickets until, at some point, the DAH events will be overcrowded as well.

And, there is a reason why you still have evening magic hours at Epcot. Until the new attractions open, an up-charge event simply will not sell well. But, as soon as both Rat and GOG are opened, we will see the same thing at Epcot.

No perk was taken from anyone who booked before park hours were released. Those ppl assumed the perk would be there b/c historically it has been. That is always a gamble. It is the very definition of entitled to expect a private business to set their price point at a certain level b/c that’s what you (collective) feel comfortable spending. Entitled is simply the belief that you are owed something.

People should be free to voice their displeasure over a product changing without being called entitled. Sure, Disney is a private company and they can change and price their product as they want but people are also free to voice their opinion about it as well.

It would be just as easy to say that Disney feels entitled to more of everyone's money just because the economy is doing well and people are willing to pay for it.

People should be free to voice their displeasure over a product changing without being called entitled. Sure, Disney is a private company and they can change and price their product as they want but people are also free to voice their opinion about it as well.

It would be just as easy to say that Disney feels entitled to more of everyone's money just because the economy is doing well and people are willing to pay for it.
Voicing displeasure is not the same as feeling you are owed something b/c of your specific set of circumstances. Many ppl have explicitly said they feel Disney owes them specific perks b/c of their circumstances. Don’t use the word entitled if it is so offensive. But, many ppl have basically said they are deserving of what they subjectively consider “affordable” access to this luxury. If only ppl were this impassioned about all ppl’s access to necessities.

Are they shifting EMH to morning at MK in order to have more later nights at HS? Is this a plan to make sure to have enough staff over at HS?

I'm not trying to make excuses for Disney by any means. I just don't think we ever give them the credit of having a bigger plan in mind.

I would vote for that (because of SWGE and TSL), but unless the calendars change (or I have bad data) it appears the same at DHS as 2018, at least for this Sept and Oct anyway.

Now that could change of course.

SWGE will consume a lot more help than needed last year, but still.

It would be just as easy to say that Disney feels entitled to more of everyone's money just because the economy is doing well and people are willing to pay for it.[/QUOTE

I agree, people should feel free to voice their opinion, they can also hope a company might listen and maybe adjust their decisions.

I don’t understand how my comment ended up in samsonsjs quote. Not sure what I did. #Newbie

Sad to think of evening EMH vanishing, but the math does make a sick kind of sense.

When someone buys an after hours ticket, they get much closer to a full 1-day park admission fee than they do for that 3rd or 4th day on the ticket. If you can't get people to stay longer, sneakily increase the ticket price for a certain number of people. Even if you nixed your 4th ticket day to instead buy an after hours event, they make more.

It also could help them with crowds - you're kind of creating "two park days" in a single day with a ticketed event. You get the day guests, plus a largely separate crowd who paid for the evenings.

Hope the rumor is wrong, though.

I don’t understand how my comment ended up in samsonsjs quote. Not sure what I did. #Newbie
I did the same thing first time I quoted and posted on the Disboards. Now I always tab down first! And I agree with your opinion and hope that someone is paying attention and listening to our concerns. It never hurts to try.

FYI, it Looks like an accidental deletion of the close square bracket ]
after the [/QUOTE tag
Thanks! Another questions: A couple times, I have touched “reply” by accident and I can’t figure out how to delete or back out of my mistake.

I think "entitled" is the expectation that someone make a sacrifice for the benefit of someone else. And then assigning malicious intent to someone who refuses to make that sacrifice.

If Disney does this they have reasons that I'm sure make sense to them. The people assigning entitlement ideas are responding to those who are calling Disney "wrong" or "money-grubbing" or "uncaring" for making that decision. I don't think Disney is wrong for not doing what someone wants them to do any more than I think someone is wrong for choosing not to go to the parks anymore because it's no longer a valuable experience for them.

If they do this, it could just be a matter of night EMH at MK not making sense to them anymore. That could be for a whole collection of reasons -- the logistics of managing the crowds, the complaints about the crowds, the anticipation of extra night EMHs at HS once Star Wars opens, the chance to monetize late nights at MK -- but ones we don't really know the answers to. I don't think they are doing it without offering some benefit to resort guests in exchange, but some guests may not see it as a fair trade off.

In other words, I don't think Cruella DeVille has taken over the place. At least not yet.

I expect a lot from Disney because historically Disney has provided a lot. They also charge a lot of money and for a while paying more for a superior product made sense.

Over time I believe that the product has continuously declined in value. I know that Disney is a business and so on but I'm a consumer and I expect certain things. I expect that of any business and if voicing displeasure somehow makes me entitled then so be it.

As for people spending their money how they see fit, of course they should! There is no denying that demand causes higher pricing and likely expansion of whatever appears to be in demand however. I don't really see a way to stop that. It's still a shame and I don't see anything wrong with people saying so.

I think we are reaching the threshold of apex point for costs vs the eventual decline in attendance for people who will come back again and again. Sure, there will be the Star Wars crowd and the typical havent ever been or once in a decade trip due to the price associated. But, the number of people who are return visitors seems to be at that tipping point where more are not getting the perceived value and choosing not to return. It happens and if the economy turns down then WDW will have to react to that and hope they have not alienated a large group. That group has always insulated them from downturns and allowed them flexibility. We go several times a year and have APs so the way we do Disney is likely not the norm. We dont HAVE to do anything. But, for people who pay for that once in a decade trip or people who used to go twice a year or so and all of the sudden feel the value is not worth the cost, that could be a huge miscalculation on the part of WDW long term. It is very interesting to watch as things play out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter