Thinking of a second purchase same resort but different use years.

smjj

Been there done that going back now as DVC member
Do any of you have 2 separate contracts with the same resort but different use years? If so, are there any issues with trying to book a trip using both contracts?...smjj..ºoº

Agree with @GoofyDisneyDaddy - is there a particular reason you would do this? We are going to own 2 diff UY but also 2 resorts, but we plan to use the contracts separately and not mix points.

Since booking at 7 months is a challenge, owning different home resorts is the benefit that works best for us.

:earsboy: Bill

I would also say that unless you have a really good reason to have 2 different UY's for the same resort, like specific spring and fall vacations, you are better off with only one UY. It is much easier to manage the points in the contracts, and you won't have a chance to orphan points in 2 different contracts.

We are currently looking into consolidating our contracts with different UY's to one's with only one UY, thankfully the prices for our contracts have gone up since we purchased.

It's a hassle. Unless you're on a tight time frame for some reason, wait a couple months until you find one with your same use year. You'll thank yourself later.

Do any of you have 2 separate contracts with the same resort but different use years? If so, are there any issues with trying to book a trip using both contracts?...smjj..ºoº
There are lots of issues. They will be two completely separate memberships. You can’t make one reservation with two memberships. You could transfer points from one to the other, but you’d have to call to make the reservation, which costs you an hour of availability.

The only time owning two use years makes sense is when you treat them separately for completely different trips. If you want to routinely use points from two contracts for one reservation, you really want to keep the same use year.

We have two different use years and I'm fine when it's a different resort but we do have boardwalk villas in both use years and would prefer if it were in a single use year. I do use them together but I prefer not to transfer so it's linking and sometimes that causes a few issues with magic bands and room entry. Plus it's not transferring then I have two different booking windows to worry about versus just being able to book on nights at once. I choose not to transfer because that also comes with a few issues at times and requires that you call in to use the points. So I'd recommend not doing it if at all possible unless you planned to use the points independently for separate trips.

I bought a second VGF contract in a different UY and even though I got it for $123 a point, the $1300 in savings is probably not worth the headache long term.

The best thing about having two UYs (besides getting additional waitlists and additional transfer options) is that if you travel multiple times per year, the second UY could be beneficial. For example, I have DEC and APR UYs. If I travel December, January, Feb or March, then my DEC UY is a great choice. The APR UY can be used for May and Summer trips as well.

Of course, it also gets confusing when DEC UY is in 2017 and then the APR will be 2018.

Bottomline though -- if you are going to want to try and combine the points for a single booking, get the same UY. It is way more seamless and much, much easier to manage.

Agree with @GoofyDisneyDaddy - is there a particular reason you would do this? We are going to own 2 diff UY but also 2 resorts, but we plan to use the contracts separately and not mix points.

We are wanting to buy resale which is what be did many years ago for our current June UY at OKW. We have been trying to months now and when a June UY comes up with the points we want, it is gone almost instantly..smjj

Last edited:
We are wanting to buy resale which is what be did many years ago for our current June YE at OKW. We have been trying to months now and when a June YE comes up with the points we want, it is gone almost instantly..smjj

Just keep trying! One will come up!!

We are wanting to buy resale which is what be did many years ago for our current June YE at OKW. We have been trying to months now and when a June YE comes up with the points we want, it is gone almost instantly..smjj

make sure you subscribe to the emails and Facebook groups for all of the brokers. They often list on social media and send email listings out before they make it on their websites.

Last edited:
Since booking at 7 months is a challenge, owning different home resorts is the benefit that works best for us.

Bill, for the ownership of the 2nd home resort, do you recommend getting the same UY as your 1st resort? Maybe that answer lies within the time of year you want to stay at that 2nd resort?

I would only do this if you have a specific reason to do so. Maybe you have a bad UY for your situation or you need extra spots for wait lists or transfers. It's less of an issue for different home resorts or title listings but ultimately the answer is the same get the same UY if possible. For different home resorts I'd add that sometimes one plans to visit one home resort during one time of year and the other at another. In this situation and assuming they are both full sized contracts, it could be a good choice. Now there are times when the deal is too good or the search too unlikely to be fruitful like VGF, VGC or subsidized contracts at VB or HI.

We have a Dec OKW contract and a Sept OKW contract. We either use them separately or transfer from one to the other. The Dec is a small 50 point contract so that one works for a few nights in a studio. The other is 175 points so that works for one bedroom villas better.

But if I transfer from one to the other, I have to make sure I'm not trying to borrow the transferred points. You cannot borrow transferred points. So a trip that falls Sept, Oct or Nov uses all Sept points or Dec points with transferred Sept points (those Sept points aren't borrowed).

Bill, for the ownership of the 2nd home resort, do you recommend getting the same UY as your 1st resort? Maybe that answer lies within the time of year you want to stay at that 2nd resort?

Disney is no longer an easy vacation, planing, calling, 180 days, 30 days, fast passes, ADR's, 11 months, 7 months, booking, changing your mind, travel, TSA, flight issues. Why would you transfer points, do waitlists, or have more than one UY unless it you have a really, really, good reason to do so. Most vacation during a certain time of year, for us the Florida heat makes it impossible to fully enjoy WDW. Our October UY allows us to vacation during the cooler months, after the storm season and during the holiday season with decorations and extras which give us the biggest bang for our bucks.

Last edited:
make sure you subscribe to the emails and Facebook groups for all of the brokers. They often list on social media and send email listings out before they make it on their websites.

I took a look at the UY distribution for OKW and June is actually the highest % UY at OKW. So something will come up. In addition to subscribing to all the groups and emails you can, it may be worth talking to a live person at some of the bigger ones to let them know what you're looking for. Good contracts are often sold right away. I had tried to buy BWV/BCV last fall and every time I called to make an offer, I was told they already had an offer accepted. One of the big brokers updates their site at midnight ET, so I would regularly check and then call in the AM shortly after they opened. That didn't work out, but eventually something else did.

Disney is no longer an easy vacation, planing, calling, 180 days, 30 days, fast passes, ADR's, 11 months, 7 months, booking, changing your mind, travel, TSA, flight issues. Why would you transfer points, do waitlists, or have more than one UY unless it you have a really, really, good reason to do so. Most vacation during a certain time of year, for us the Florida heat makes it impossible to fully enjoy WDW. Our October UY allows us to vacation during the cooler months, after the storm season and during the holiday season with decorations and extras which give us the biggest bang for our bucks.

Thanks for your feedback Bill...appreciate it!

Shawn

Thanks for your feedback Bill...appreciate it!

Shawn

Think about getting an MK resort and an Epcot/DHS resort. Focus on the MK and AK one year and Epcot/DHS the next. The parks aren't going anywhere and they will be there next year, no reason to spend time running back and forth. You can spend more time at the resort and doing other things, hitting it every day to get in as much as possible is nutz IMO, vacations should be relaxing and you shouldn't be exhausted when you get back home!

Think about getting an MK resort and an Epcot/DHS resort. Focus on the MK and AK one year and Epcot/DHS the next. The parks aren't going anywhere and they will be there next year, no reason to spend time running back and forth. You can spend more time at the resort and doing other things, hitting it every day to get in as much as possible is nutz IMO, vacations should be relaxing and you shouldn't be exhausted when you get back home!

Great feedback Bill. I never thought about it like that before. We also like the fall/winter time and we will be going on our first DVC stay at SSR this December (September UY).

We are already thinking about a 2nd home resort (possibly next year (2019) sometime) and were just trying to figure out how to plan around the UY, but I think the same UY makes sense for us too after reading up on it.

We have been to Disney several times over the last 20 years and thought about DVC, but never bought into it. Last fall we stayed at OKW and had some friends who were at SSR. We fell in love the place and lit the candle as soon as we got back home.

For the 2nd home resort, we really like the location of BWV but were contemplating BLT as well (but we have not toured either one yet and plan to do that when we are there in December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter