Things that parents do - my pet peeves

Brit_Jude

DIS Veteran
I love Disney and it's magic but I find myself open mouthed at times. Sorry if I upset but here are my pet peeves:

1. Shouting at children at Disney, while we all get tired and frustrated I hate to see parents shouting, moaning or getting on at their Children while at the most magical place on earth. It should be a magical fun time not a time to make them unhappy. Relax some of the rules that apply at home let them eat ice-cream for lunch etc, it's vacation, it's hot, it's supposed to be fun. I always mumble under my breath in an ironic tone - "happy families - bring your child on vacation to shout at them"

2. The constant "germaphobes". Making your child frighten to touch anything, as a nation I think we are becoming obsessed with contamination and it is gradually taking over people lives. A JAMA study found that children in large families suffered fewer illnesses than children in smaller families, suggesting that larger families exposed children to more germs, which increased their immunity to common infections. Early germ expose boosts the immune system later in life. So be resonable and instead of constantly sanitizing your kids hands, telling them not to touch something, instilling paranoia, give them an orange, well what I really mean is make sure they are getting the right nutrition to make sure they are boosting their defenses and teach them proper hand washing.

3. Trying to push the kids to see everything in one day. Get up early go till lunchtime, take a break back at the hotel, swim, nap and rest go back out later on. It makes it more enjoyable for everyone.

Don't get me wrong - I have a TON of things that I have pet peeves about with other parents (parent of 7 year old ds and 5 year old dd here), but I was surpised by OP's list.

ON #1....I'm a yeller at times, not all the time, but sometimes, and vacation or not - if my child is behaving inappropriately I have been known to yell once or twice. My pet peeve is the opposite - parents who choose to ignore inappropriate behavior simply because it is vacation (actually, they probably do it more often than just on vacation). Ice cream for lunch??? SURE - we can do that! Have a temper tantrum because Mommy won't buy you ANOTHER souvenier?? NO WAY! We will not be going there! And we will have words (or missed rides, or go back to the room altogether) if that is done.

On #3 - I have written my story on here several times so maybe you've already heard this. But my question is how do you know #3 is even happening? You might be assuming....just like people in POP's line for MK on our trip 3 years ago likely assumed it of me. We had just arrived in WDW, first order of business was a 3 hour nap to recover from the travel time. Everyone got up, got a nice snack and headed to the park. Well, when I offered water to the kids from the backpack - dd insisted she wanted juice, which I NEVER bring in the backpack and she knew it. She decided to put on a huge drama-show for the onlookers by having a fit about it and wanting JUICE! In this instance (and especially because we weren't in any shows or anything that might affect those around us) - I opted not to be a yeller, but to ignore her ridiculousness...and a few minutes later she said 'mommy, can I have some water please?'. :) I am positive that many in the line thought I was pushing her too hard/long on the trip....little did they know it was only our first moments of the trip! I know it's hard to do - but try not to assume!

I love Disney and it's magic but I find myself open mouthed at times. Sorry if I upset but here are my pet peeves:

1. Shouting at children at Disney, while we all get tired and frustrated I hate to see parents shouting, moaning or getting on at their Children while at the most magical place on earth. It should be a magical fun time not a time to make them unhappy. Relax some of the rules that apply at home let them eat ice-cream for lunch etc, it's vacation, it's hot, it's supposed to be fun. I always mumble under my breath in an ironic tone - "happy families - bring your child on vacation to shout at them"

2. The constant "germaphobes". Making your child frighten to touch anything, as a nation I think we are becoming obsessed with contamination and it is gradually taking over people lives. A JAMA study found that children in large families suffered fewer illnesses than children in smaller families, suggesting that larger families exposed children to more germs, which increased their immunity to common infections. Early germ expose boosts the immune system later in life. So be resonable and instead of constantly sanitizing your kids hands, telling them not to touch something, instilling paranoia, give them an orange, well what I really mean is make sure they are getting the right nutrition to make sure they are boosting their defenses and teach them proper hand washing.

3. Trying to push the kids to see everything in one day. Get up early go till lunchtime, take a break back at the hotel, swim, nap and rest go back out later on. It makes it more enjoyable for everyone.

While I do agree some people do go overboard with some aspects of sanitizing I do not agree with disciplining your children at the park. Although I do happen to have a pretty well behaved DD6 who I rarely have to yell at even at home I would not hesitate to discipline her despite being on vacation. Of course the rules are different and she gets to do alot of fun things while vacationing she still has to follow the basic rules of being a child and those rules don't stop because we're at Disneyworld.
Also, sometimes the schedule of vacation does not always get to reflect the needs or wants of a child. I happen to vacation with my entire extended family so if the entire group wanted to so something versus one person sometimes the one person loses out. Of course I would not exhaust my daughter but sometimes part of being a family is doing what the whole family wants not the individual.

I hate seeing babies/toddlers with burnt thighs. :( Sometimes it still happens with sunscreen, I know, but I've seen some bright red ones.

I've also seen parents frustrated that they waited in line then their child got scared. I get the frustration, but kids get scared of things sometimes. I know, my dd age 3 at the time got scared on the Stitch ride and dh had to take her off. No big deal, it happens.

Don't get me wrong - I have a TON of things that I have pet peeves about with other parents (parent of 7 year old ds and 5 year old dd here), but I was surpised by OP's list.

ON #1....I'm a yeller at times, not all the time, but sometimes, and vacation or not - if my child is behaving inappropriately I have been known to yell once or twice. My pet peeve is the opposite - parents who choose to ignore inappropriate behavior simply because it is vacation (actually, they probably do it more often than just on vacation). Ice cream for lunch??? SURE - we can do that! Have a temper tantrum because Mommy won't buy you ANOTHER souvenier?? NO WAY! We will not be going there! And we will have words (or missed rides, or go back to the room altogether) if that is done.

On #3 - I have written my story on here several times so maybe you've already heard this. But my question is how do you know #3 is even happening? You might be assuming....just like people in POP's line for MK on our trip 3 years ago likely assumed it of me. We had just arrived in WDW, first order of business was a 3 hour nap to recover from the travel time. Everyone got up, got a nice snack and headed to the park. Well, when I offered water to the kids from the backpack - dd insisted she wanted juice, which I NEVER bring in the backpack and she knew it. She decided to put on a huge drama-show for the onlookers by having a fit about it and wanting JUICE! In this instance (and especially because we weren't in any shows or anything that might affect those around us) - I opted not to be a yeller, but to ignore her ridiculousness...and a few minutes later she said 'mommy, can I have some water please?'. :) I am positive that many in the line thought I was pushing her too hard/long on the trip....little did they know it was only our first moments of the trip! I know it's hard to do - but try not to assume!

And yes, I agree with this.

I totally agree with you. My kids get a little more slack on vacation, (staying up late, extra treats, etc). But I expect them to behave well in public no matter where they are. I do not want them impacting others vacations by their bad behavior. I have diciplined my children while at WDW and will continue to do so. because my children know what is expected of them they rarely misbehave in public. My pet peeve is the parents who allow their children to act up at WDW and I have experienced plenty of that.

I really get upset when parents are in a smoking area with their little baby or toddler in the stroller right next to them, breathing in all that yucky air. It's so unhealthy.

Overall, I try to not judge other people b/c I have my rough spots too. But, last trip, we were eating at the MK near Dumbo and a little boy was climbing above us into the flowers, pulling them up, and dumping the dirt onto us. His parents just ignored it for the longest time until the father finally noticed and freaked out. That's when I get annoyed with other parents...

I really get upset when parents are in a smoking area with their little baby or toddler in the stroller right next to them, breathing in all that yucky air. It's so unhealthy.

What do you think the kids are breathing at home when their parents are smoking?

Not everyone can be given the ice cream sold at Disney. Not without making it far FAR worse.

The more we go to DLR, and the more tiny moments that could be seen by outsiders as very very different (for instance, my son crying his eyes out during our lunch at DCA, while he said over and over "you're making me cry", when what I was telling him was that I knew the veggie burger was weirder than expected, but he needed to eat *something*, and the something in front of him was french fries...and then when I simply ignored him and took pictures of something nearby, which probably seemed awful but every time I simply LOOKED at him he burst into tears again, but when I wasn't looking he was eating his fries through his tears), the more I try to assume that I'm just misunderstanding the situation I think I'm seeing with other families.

I don't care for parents who don't educate their children. And I don't mean just the A,B,C's and 1, 2, 3's alone (though seeing a stupid kid is pretty sad too). I don't like how some parents don't expect their kids to have manners, class, or even a shred of common sense. People like this do a dis-service to not only themselves and their children, but the world at large. I really can't even find the words for people who are bad parents.

Yelling doesn't make you a bad parent, spanking your kid every once in a while doesn't make you a bad parent, and denying your child certain things doesn't make you a bad parent. Giving a child limits, discipline, and teaching them about how the world really is, is where it is at. There have been times when I wished that it wasn't illegal to smack someone else's child...Or punt them across the room for that matter.

Oh yeah, and let your kid have that cookie or chip off the floor in your house if they just dropped it. Dirt don't hurt!

My main point is that your styles of parenting may be different and we won't always agree, but an all-encompassing theme here is that one takes a vested interest in their child and works toward making them a decent, intelligent human being.

People that let their little darlings run wild.

And this is going to sound like a weird one but people that talk really loud in a sing song or barney voice drawing attention to their kids. Like oh look how cute they are and what a great parent I am. It reminds me of treating kids like circus animals. These are probably the same people that would turn a blind eye to their kids running wild because they were having fun and are so cute.

I want my kids to behave. But I would much rather have them behave in public or at someone else's house and have them act out at home. My kids DS 2 and DD 4 know to be polite, and use manners, but every now and then they tend to have a melt down in public, but hey that is part of being a kid. I will get after them, I will remove them from the situation *take them outside of a resturant..let them calm down and then come in and finish supper) I don't want my kids to have bad behavior and ruin some one else's vacation. But I will not tolerate whining for no reason, being rude to eachother, etc.

Being a parent is hard work, and when we are on vacation my kids are pretty well behaved. I can't complain. The 3 big trips we have taken my kids were excellent. But I will not hesitate to correct improper behavior Disney or not.

My personal feelings on spanking aside...

Please, OH PLEASE, do NOT pull down your four or five year old's pants to spank them in the middle of the Magic Kingdom... if you must, do it in private at least.

No one wants to see that.

What do you think the kids are breathing at home when their parents are smoking?

Overall, I try to not judge other people b/c I have my rough spots too. But, last trip, we were eating at the MK near Dumbo and a little boy was climbing above us into the flowers, pulling them up, and dumping the dirt onto us. His parents just ignored it for the longest time until the father finally noticed and freaked out. That's when I get annoyed with other parents...
This has to be my biggest parent pet peeve. I have seen alot of parents smoking holding their infants lately. It is so hard not to say something. It is just upsetting. That baby has no choice in the matter. In Louisiana we have a law against smoking in the car with a child under a certain age. I guess they can't make a law against smoking in their presence period though. I guess it has to be a really serious addiction if you can not give it up or not do it in front of your children. I have not had that kind of addiction, so I don't know that part.

I am a stepmom to two wonderful boys who are now 14 and 19. We are having the normal moodiness and pouting from the teenager, but he is a great kid and we explain calmly what is and is not acceptable and that there are consequences to the bad behaviour.

I can certainly understand a child having a melt down! Been there. I don't mean don't disipline your children or remind them of polite behaviour with a firm word but shouting at them when they are upset to the point all around can here or getting into a heated argument where you as the parent have lost their temper just escalates the situation instead of calming it down. Remove them, distract them and then when everyone is calm explain to them why that is not acceptable. I guess like was stated below we all have different styles.

I agree that smoking with your children around is terrible.

just curious if your perspective is that of a parent or non-parent?

I'm curious too....
That aside, my pet peeves are:

1. People literally dragging a toddler by 1 arm, feet off the ground. In WDW or not. Makes me want to do that to them.

2. Parents that don't put a hat or shades on a baby's face. Yes, I know they'll pull some off but my boys always wore a tie-under-the-chin hat. You see the poor kid squinting or in a stroller with no shade facing straight up at the sun, while the parents have a visor and sunglasses on.

3. Seeing an older baby/child carrying around a bottle. Looks just ridiculous on a 2 yr. old. Cut it off by 12 mos and transition to a sippy cup. Easy-peasy.

My pet peeve is when I hear parents "bully "their kids into riding certain rides that they are obviously afraid of. I have overheard this twice where while in line for a ride (ie. PotC - a dad was telling his probably 4 year old kid that if he didn't go on the ride there would be no more trips to disneyworld, and that on the next family trip he would be left home alone :scared1:)

I don't care for parents who don't educate their children. And I don't mean just the A,B,C's and 1, 2, 3's alone (though seeing a stupid kid is pretty sad too). I don't like how some parents don't expect their kids to have manners, class, or even a shred of common sense. People like this do a dis-service to not only themselves and their children, but the world at large. I really can't even find the words for people who are bad parents.

Yelling doesn't make you a bad parent, spanking your kid every once in a while doesn't make you a bad parent, and denying your child certain things doesn't make you a bad parent. Giving a child limits, discipline, and teaching them about how the world really is, is where it is at. There have been times when I wished that it wasn't illegal to smack someone else's child...Or punt them across the room for that matter.

Oh yeah, and let your kid have that cookie or chip off the floor in your house if they just dropped it. Dirt don't hurt!

My main point is that your styles of parenting may be different and we won't always agree, but an all-encompassing theme here is that one takes a vested interest in their child and works toward making them a decent, intelligent human being.

I'm having a difficult time understanding the above comment. Are you saying that if parents don't educate their kids, then the kids are stupid? :confused3

While we don't shout at our kids we will not let them run around like wild animals. If they are acting up we will speak to them about it. I don't care if Tinkerbell is there blowing Pixie Dust in our face, we still expect our children to have manners. As for the ice cream for dinner, yes we are extremely relaxed about stuff like that on vacation but some days because of health issues that is not going to happen. The children will survive it.
Overall I will say that I do agree with you about the shouting parents. I hate to see that even when I am not in WDW.

I am not a germaphobe but certain things I find absolutely gross. Bathrooms are one of them. Of course I make my kids wash their hands when they are done and overall I rarely use antibacterial gel during the day- BUT- when we go into a bathroom (in public) my kids know the drill. Hands up!:laughing: They walk in with their hands up so they are not touching every nasty surface on the planet. We have never encountered anyone who had something to say about it. Most say it is a good idea and completely understand. To be honest though, I don't care if anyone likes it or not.

This I completely agree with. I can never understand how it is even fun seeing "everything" when everyone is cranky and whining. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter